• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

Buggy Loop

Virtual desktop comments on Quest 3 streaming quality.

It’s the BEST for PCVR

On Quest 3, enabled by its new Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 chipset, the latest update adds support for the AV1 video codec, up to 200 Mbps with the HEVC codec, the ability to use the Godlike quality setting at 120 Hz, and the ability to use Super Resolution upscaling with any quality setting.

AV1 is only supported by NVIDIA RTX 40-series and AMD Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs, but provides better image quality at the same bitrate as HEVC. Godin says it also produces more stable frame times, meaning fewer hiccups when locomoting in VR, but is slightly more demanding on your GPU than other codecs.
Godin also tells UploadVR that his testing has revealed that Quest 3 has improved Wi-Fi performance over all previous standalone headsets, making streaming "smoother in general".

"It’s the best headset for wireless PC VR by far", Godin tells us.

Only a matter of time, if not at launch, not too far down the road, that airlink is updated for AV1, or you can use virtual desktop anyway.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Did some comparisons based off VR Grid's videos & the one from the developer (PSVR vs PSVR2 vs Quest 2 vs Quest 3)
Feels like Quest 3 is comparable to PSVR1 here.

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

Untitled-3.png

Romulus

Did some comparisons based off VR Grid's videos & the one from the developer (PSVR vs PSVR2 vs Quest 2 vs Quest 3)

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

Untitled-3.png

I'd say thats pretty good considering its running at a much higher resolution. Even Quest 2 was pushing more pixels than psvr1 walking dead, no doubt quest 3 will distance it even further with increased settings.

Last edited:

Reallink

It’s the BEST for PCVR

Only a matter of time, if not at launch, not too far down the road, that airlink is updated for AV1, or you can use virtual desktop anyway.

Why is Q3 still limited to 200mbps with its supposed quantum leap in processing and 6e radio? Seems like there should be at least some improvement over Q2.

Last edited:

Reallink

Airlink supports 200mbps on Q2 afaik, so I'm not sure what he's talking about with 150mbps. Maybe Facebook is crippling access or support to third party devs? Hard to believe 3 chip generations wouldn't produce any sort of improvement. 200mbps is absolutely slathered in posturization artifacts, it looks terrible.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Ok, I'm buying Quest 3 and pretty happy with my choice. I don't think there will be something that popular at this price and with such software support. Maybe PSVR2 upgraded but I will buy that too...
Also I miss PCVR with mods!

Minsc

Gold Member
Airlink supports 200mbps on Q2 afaik, so I'm not sure what he's talking about with 150mbps. Maybe Facebook is crippling access or support to third party devs? Hard to believe 3 chip generations wouldn't produce any sort of improvement. 200mbps is absolutely slathered in posturization artifacts, it looks terrible.

200mbps is better than UHD blu ray quality. It's just the program encoding it sucks.

Q3 will support AV1 though, which is new, and likely much better. Also it is supposed to have better encoding for the other formats.

Romulus

I've always heard it never gets close to 200mbps though on quest 2 though so we've likely never seen it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Why is Q3 still limited to 200mbps with its supposed quantum leap in processing and 6e radio? Seems like there should be at least some improvement over Q2.

Eventually the higher bitrate has little to no return in visuals and actually adds latency.

AV1 for the same bitrate will kill the previous airlink quality and be faster in latency too. You can probably unlock above 200 like it was possible on Quest 2 but there's a reason why the Virtual desktop developer don't bother with these options, its meaningless. You're better off having stable streaming than clogging it with almost no visual returns and higher latency.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Some useful information in their discussion--although I hate their format. I just listened and minimized the video... who wants to watch these weird cartoon avatars move their hands around like puppets and seem totally disconnected from the speakers?

Minsc

Gold Member
Eventually the higher bitrate has little to no return in visuals and actually adds latency.

AV1 for the same bitrate will kill the previous airlink quality and be faster in latency too. You can probably unlock above 200 like it was possible on Quest 2 but there's a reason why the Virtual desktop developer don't bother with these options, its meaningless. You're better off having stable streaming than clogging it with almost no visual returns and higher latency.

Yup, bitrate only matters so much, again you get pristine, perfect 4k visuals out of just 10Mbps in bluray media for animated stuff with scene complexity not much different than you'd see in many VR games, yet you expect me to believe a super compressible image at 200mbps looks like shit? That's software related too, not just hardware.

There's a million ways to configure these streams, they are just picking default crap and thinking bitrate will solve everything, but hopefully AV1 which is brand new to the Quest 3 (though it does require a 4000 series GPU) fixes streaming so it is pristine IQ at those crazy bitrates.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah. That's what it looks like to me. More than good enough. It's all quite exciting.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, we've all heard what a mess the PSVR1/PS4 combo was, a literal backpack stuffed of devices, gadgets, wires and crap that could easily take 10-20 minutes to setup, turn on, etc.

To have everything that was able to do more-or-less in a small case, self-contained, that runs off not a single cable or additional device, and can have you playing within seconds of taking it out of the case is amazing! And the IQ will obviously be far ahead too, with the new lens format, plus the freedom of it all, being able to play indoors without connected to an outlet, outdoors in a yard where you can "room scale" for hundreds of feet in each direction, etc.

I really hope next week it turns out to be as good as everyone hopes!

Romulus

Yeah, we've all heard what a mess the PSVR1/PS4 combo was, a literal backpack stuffed of devices, gadgets, wires and crap that could easily take 10-20 minutes to setup, turn on, etc.

To have everything that was able to do more-or-less in a small case, self-contained, that runs off not a single cable or additional device, and can have you playing within seconds of taking it out of the case is amazing! And the IQ will obviously be far ahead too, with the new lens format, plus the freedom of it all, being able to play indoors without connected to an outlet, outdoors in a yard where you can "room scale" for hundreds of feet in each direction, etc.

I really hope next week it turns out to be as good as everyone hopes!

Yeah if it's pushing psvr1 graphics and solving the it's 2 biggest problems(resolution and tracking) all in a much smaller more comfortable device, thats great.
Not to mention pcvr capability.
I still remember being shocked at the difference in resolution from psvr1 to Quest 2.

MarkMe2525

It’s the BEST for PCVR

Fuck Yeah. I'm so pumped for Tuesday.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Fuck Yeah. I'm so pumped for Tuesday.
Okay, I red the news and they are good.
10 bit color and local dimming on Quest Pro? Fuck yeah!
Fingers crossed for 10 bit color support in Quest 3.
AV1 through wireless (wi-fi 6) will be so much better and probably will kill wired connection altogether.
It's great that Meta didn't fuck it up, I'm impressed!

Minsc

Gold Member
Okay, I red the news and they are good.
10 bit color and local dimming on Quest Pro? Fuck yeah!
Fingers crossed for 10 bit color support in Quest 3.
AV1 through wireless (wi-fi 6) will be so much better and probably will kill wired connection altogether.
It's great that Meta didn't fuck it up, I'm impressed!

Do you think the 4000-series GPUs are that common for Quest 3 owners (as AV1 is locked behind those cards)? I guess maybe everyone has upgraded by now, but we'll see how much better it is and if my prior-gen 3000 series GPU will struggle too much or not. The regular wifi is supposed to be improved too, and I also have a Quest cable ready, because I want to play some VR pinball and if there's any genre of gaming that requires absolutely perfect frame pacing with no hiccups or delay at all, it's pinball! If AV1 is truly the exact same thing as being wired, that's going to be amazing.

What's funny is AV1 with 10-bit support I can already use on my 3000-series GPU with Remote Desktop, but I guess that is capped to 60fps not 120 like the Quest 3, and I imagine not the speed/tiny delay needed for VR either.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Do you think the 4000-series GPUs are that common for Quest 3 owners (as AV1 is locked behind those cards)? I guess maybe everyone has upgraded by now, but we'll see how much better it is and if my prior-gen 3000 series GPU will struggle too much or not. The regular wifi is supposed to be improved too, and I also have a Quest cable ready, because I want to play some VR pinball and if there's any genre of gaming that requires absolutely perfect frame pacing with no hiccups or delay at all, it's pinball! If AV1 is truly the exact same thing as being wired, that's going to be amazing.

What's funny is AV1 with 10-bit support I can already use on my 3000-series GPU with Remote Desktop, but I guess that is capped to 60fps not 120 like the Quest 3, and I imagine not the speed/tiny delay needed for VR either.
Well, first of all it all depends. If you on cable (very high bitrate) than codec is not important at all. However at any bitrate I've had a lots of banding so I think 10 bit color through the wire will be still the best in terms of quality/latency. That said lower the bitrate the more important particular codec and it's realization (encoder) will become. So AV1 is great news overall but mostly better for lower-bitrates (like wireless streaming).
I myself have a 3070, planning to upgrade to cheap 3080ti (12gigs and 384bit bus) as 4070ti cost almost the twice. We need reviews to see a comparisons but anyway Quest 3 is better than Quest 2 in every way and Quest 2 was fun little device. So I'm bought :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, first of all it all depends. If you on cable (very high bitrate) than codec is not important at all. However at any bitrate I've had a lots of banding so I think 10 bit color through the wire will be still the best in terms of quality/latency. That said lower the bitrate the more important particular codec and it's realization (encoder) will become. So AV1 is great news overall but mostly better for lower-bitrates (like wireless streaming).
I myself have a 3070, planning to upgrade to cheap 3080ti (12gigs and 384bit bus) as 4070ti cost almost the twice. We need reviews to see a comparisons but anyway Quest 3 is better than Quest 2 in every way and Quest 2 was fun little device. So I'm bought :)
Right, but why would upgrade to a 3080ti as that would mean you can't use AV1 - when you're excited for AV1? :)

I would be pretty disappointed if even on a cable it has a lot of banding on PC VR. Hopefully they improve the settings being used to stream the video so the banding is better - I know 10-bit helps tremendously like you said, so hopefully that's an option as well.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Right, but why would upgrade to a 3080ti as that would mean you can't use AV1 - when you're excited for AV1? :)

I would be pretty disappointed if even on a cable it has a lot of banding on PC VR. Hopefully they improve the settings being used to stream the video so the banding is better - I know 10-bit helps tremendously like you said, so hopefully that's an option as well.
Yeah, need a wait a bit longer for the reviews. I mostly been destructed by color banding and 10 bit color is very good news. Also AV1 encoding is supported on 3000- series but on 4000- series we have dual-encoders and we need to see if it has benefits in PCVR. I really don't know right now maybe 3080ti will be enough.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, need a wait a bit longer for the reviews. I mostly been destructed by color banding and 10 bit color is very good news. Also AV1 encoding is supported on 3000- series but on 4000- series we have dual-encoders and we need to see if it has benefits in PCVR. I really don't know right now maybe 3080ti will be enough.
So you think even though Quest itself lists the 4000-series as the requirement you'd be able to still use a 3000-series? I just figured the option would not exist at all, much like trying to enable frame generation on a 3000-series card: "The DLSS Frame Generation requires a GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics card and Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling being enabled in operating system"

Guess we'll see! If you can actually use a 3000-series card for AV1 despite it saying 4000 is needed, then that'd be great.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
So you think even though Quest itself lists the 4000-series as the requirement you'd be able to still use a 3000-series? I just figured the option would not exist at all, much like trying to enable frame generation on a 3000-series card: "The DLSS Frame Generation requires a GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics card and Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling being enabled in operating system"

Guess we'll see! If you can actually use a 3000-series card for AV1 despite it saying 4000 is needed, then that'd be great.
Are you sure that 4000-series is required? I cannot imagine the world when it's happened, it's impossible technically.

Minsc

Gold Member
Are you sure that 4000-series is required? I cannot imagine the world when it's happened, it's impossible technically.

I hope it does not, but I might have been mistaken - I googled a bit to see and all I can find is Virtual Desktop's recent update from a few days ago mentioning it:

"AV1 support; this requires an Nvidia 4000 or AMD 7000 series GPU"

Then again, I think that software is basically the #1 main program for PC VR? I'm still new to this all outside PSVR2!

Like SkyBox supports AV1 as well, but that doesn't need it, but then again, SkyBox would just be decoding the movie directly on the headset's hardware, not using your PC, assuming you're going after the best quality possible and not transcoding the video.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I hope it does not, but I might have been mistaken - I googled a bit to see and all I can find is Virtual Desktop's recent update from a few days ago mentioning it:

"AV1 support; this requires an Nvidia 4000 or AMD 7000 series GPU"

Then again, I think that software is basically the #1 main program for PC VR? I'm still new to this all outside PSVR2!
Yeah, just googled it and AV1 is not supported on 3000-series for hardware encoding, only for decoding.
VD is nice, still new hardware and new software all needs to be tested together. So only wait for reviews. I personally never used it, Link worked just fine if not better for me.

Humdinger

I wonder if we'll look back someday and say this was the Golden Age of VR. It's always hard to tell when you're in the middle of it. I say this as a non-VR player, just an observer/listener. But there seem to be some telltale signs of a "golden age": a lot of creative energy, developers free to follow their individual visions, hasn't hit the popular/mainstream inflection point where the corporate types invade and suck the life out of it, lots of experimentation, enthusiasm, and a sense of fun you don't find in mainstream gaming.

So I wonder if this is the Golden Age of VR. Or maybe it's still to come. I don't know. As I say, I'm just a casual observer.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I’m hearing reports that a lot of folks who ordered the 512GB version are getting notifications that it won’t arrive until November.
Meta has stated that the order has shipped but it won’t arrive for another 30 days. Sounds a bit shady to me.

seems to be a Europe issue

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, what stand out gsmes should I grab? I have had a rift s hooked up to my PC for years but I'm interested in some quest games. I bought the dungeon game on th3 referral above, thanks for that. Looks cool.

Is star wars galaxies Edge good? Anything else? Resi 4?

cyberheater

So, what stand out gsmes should I grab? I have had a rift s hooked up to my PC for years but I'm interested in some quest games. I bought the dungeon game on th3 referral above, thanks for that. Looks cool.

Red Matter 2 is a great puzzle/action game and likely to be the best looking game on Quest 3 for some time.

Minsc

Gold Member

Definitely Resi 4 gets top marks from most, I'm grabbing that.

I found this to be a good overview.

It's got all platforms, but still worth skimming through and seeing what it rates everything!

FingerBang

I’m hearing reports that a lot of folks who ordered the 512GB version are getting notifications that it won’t arrive until November.
Meta has stated that the order has shipped but it won’t arrive for another 30 days. Sounds a bit shady to me.

seems to be a Europe issue
Got it off Amazon uk, shipped and will be here tomorrow
When I tried getting it directly from the Oculus website it wasn't available for release date. Also, Jeff Bezos is hung.

Buggy Loop

Bunch of peoples who preordered the 512GB version on meta side DURING the connect (so early peoples) got hit with a month delay for shipping. Seems like Meta seriously underestimated the 512GB version popularity… or that the 128GB is just plain too low.

I don’t know the extent of what you played before but,

Stand-alone:

The climb 1&2, god i loved those, sense of fear as you fall is crazy

Resident evil 4, no matter what peoples said, it’s the best RE4 version

Pistol Whip, such a nice arcade shooter

SuperhotVR, doesn’t need introduction

Walkabout mini-golf

Walking dead saints & sinners 1

Red matter 2

Don’t forget Side Quest : Return to Castle Wolfenstein, DOOM 3, Half-life, Quake 2

PCVR, have you played the lone echoes games?

First thing I would do with a Quest 3 is probably a rerun of Half Life Alyx with these optics

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Red Matter 2 is a great puzzle/action game and likely to be the best looking game on Quest 3 for some time.

Definitely Resi 4 gets top marks from most, I'm grabbing that.

I found this to be a good overview.

It's got all platforms, but still worth skimming through and seeing what it rates everything!

Thanks guys. I'll grab red matter 2 and star wars too as a fan.

Looks like I deffo need to grab resi 4 and some more even.

I've got a load of games on pc vr, even on my ocolus account but I don't know how cross buy works etc.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks guys. I'll grab red matter 2 and star wars too as a fan.

Looks like I deffo need to grab resi 4 and some more even.

I've got a load of games on pc vr, even on my ocolus account but I don't know how cross buy works etc.

People say the 3 Darth Vader and PC VR Squadrons games are better than the Galaxy Edge one or whatever it's called, but that one gets better with the DLC.

Top Bottom