• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

Minsc

Gold Member
Trade in PSVR2 AND PS5 for Quest 3, Hold out on Spiderman 2 till PS5 PRO is released.
Yay? Nay?

How much do you care about RE4 VR in the coming months? For me, Village was worth the price of admission by itself, and I expect to feel no different about RE4, probably even enjoy it more.

If you don't have a VR capable PC, I'm not sure it'd be the best trade-off, by itself it'll have worse performance, but obviously some benefits too, access to apps/movies/and no wires, better IQ in some ways, but worse graphic settings/quality in others.

It's a tough call, but no way am I missing RE4 VR myself. I do expect to grab a Q3 and finally get my hands on some PC VR exclusives / VR mods and of course Alyx.

Minsc

Gold Member
Trade in PSVR2 AND PS5 for Quest 3, Hold out on Spiderman 2 till PS5 PRO is released.
Yay? Nay?

One last thing to consider - for someone who does plan on the PS5 Pro - that will inevitably also carry a PSVR2 upgrade along with it. Sure, it won't fix the flaws inherent in the device, but it certainly will further improve the existing PSVR2 library, exactly how the PSVR1's games got upgrades with the Pro/PS5 hardware.

So before selling - do consider the gap in performance will be larger on the PS5 Pro than it is now on the PS5. Games that are 60 w/ reprojection could easily be 90, and games that are sub native likewise could end up seeing resolution bumps to native. Other possibilities like further draw distance etc too.

All that said, damn if I'm not so close to pre-ordering the Quest 3 myself. For me the only real mark I have against the device is it uses the same LCD panels as the Quest 2, with all their issues of black levels and contrast, and lacks local dimming along with that. So I'll likely hold out for actual impressions. We all know the PSVR2 preview impressions were all butterflies and rainbows then actual people got the device and all of a sudden it didn't match the vision they were selling in the previews, with all sorts of visual issues and other problems. Still, it's a good VR device IMO, but certainly lots of room for improvement.

Romulus

One last thing to consider - for someone who does plan on the PS5 Pro - that will inevitably also carry a PSVR2 upgrade along with it. Sure, it won't fix the flaws inherent in the device, but it certainly will further improve the existing PSVR2 library, exactly how the PSVR1's games got upgrades with the Pro/PS5 hardware.

So before selling - do consider the gap in performance will be larger on the PS5 Pro than it is now on the PS5. Games that are 60 w/ reprojection could easily be 90, and games that are sub native likewise could end up seeing resolution bumps to native. Other possibilities like further draw distance etc too.

All that said, damn if I'm not so close to pre-ordering the Quest 3 myself. For me the only real mark I have against the device is it uses the same LCD panels as the Quest 2, with all their issues of black levels and contrast, and lacks local dimming along with that. So I'll likely hold out for actual impressions. We all know the PSVR2 preview impressions were all butterflies and rainbows then actual people got the device and all of a sudden it didn't match the vision they were selling in the previews, with all sorts of visual issues and other problems. Still, it's a good VR device IMO, but certainly lots of room for improvement.

I've heard the blacks are somewhat better but the lenses are night and day better + higher resolution

I'm seeing better blacks here for sure in addition to the insane graphic bump

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I've heard the blacks are somewhat better but the lenses are night and day better + higher resolution

Yes, but the graphic bump is possibly a mixed bag depending on what you compare to - compared to the Quest 2 it's a clear improvement in every way, but to the PSVR2, it's still an improvement in many ways, but it is worse in others (black levels definitely being one).

This is the video I have found so far that specifically addresses the black levels:

"Huge step up from the Quest 2 in picture, and even still a step up from the Quest Pro. The black levels from what I can see so far didn't look like they were the darkest, they still were a little gray, but it definitely looked better than it did on the Quest 2..."

Again, the preview linked is VERY much a positive, glowing impression, and I still believe the Quest 3 is looking to be one of the best VR devices on the market at launch and offers LOTS of ways to enjoy VR not possible on PSVR2. It's just for me, a little unfortunate if it turns out to have a weakness displaying blacks/contrast. But then again, with all the mura on the PSVR2 you can just as easily argue despite it's superior ability to display near-infinite contrast and truly black blacks, the abundance of mura in darker/mixed grays basically makes it a moot point.

Buggy Loop

These are not through the lens, so we wouldn't really know the black levels. But Quest pro has been praised a lot for optics and LCD upgrade compared to Quest 2, i guess Quest 3 is again an upgrade overall.

Romulus

These are not through the lens, so we wouldn't really know the black levels. But Quest pro has been praised a lot for optics and LCD upgrade compared to Quest 2, i guess Quest 3 is again an upgrade overall.

I always thought you could to some degree without seeing through the lenses. Quest 2 has that classic washed out look there.

Buggy Loop

I always thought you could to some degree without seeing through the lenses. Quest 2 has that classic washed out look there.

They took a page from the N64 fog everywhere era to improve performances.
But a real black scene could always be made / found on Quest 2, taking a snapshot of it and then on Quest pro / Quest 3 would show the exact same image, but through the lens is another story

Here's a Pimax crystal vs Quest 2 through the lens

Most Quest pro PCVR through the lens videls were pre Local dimming support

Which actually comes to mind, Quest 3 with LCD has no local dimming, will be interesting to see impressions of that when more knowledgeable peoples get hold of it.

Romulus

The 128GB model is $120 more expensive than the disc version of the PS5 here down under. I'm not dropping that sort of cash to play stereoscopic Wii games.

The standalone is now beyond psvr1 and we saw the types of games that could produce.

Having said that quest 2 had some racing and flight sims, something you never saw on wii. It's just much more well rounded and has adult game options especially with pcvr it's limitless.
Ps5 to me feels like ps4 pro+ in most ways. Same types of games we've been playing since 2013. With psvr2 it's great, or will be.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Glasses with Quest 2 was awful. I got lenses for that and I have them on order for Quest 3 as well. Once you play without glasses on it’s a different experience. Night and day more immersive.
I never really had issues with glasses. You must have been doing it wrong. :messenger_tongue:

I know psvr2 is a slow go atm, but that's a big risk throwing the ps5 in there too. Lots of good games could be coming.

How much do you care about RE4 VR in the coming months? For me, Village was worth the price of admission by itself, and I expect to feel no different about RE4, probably even enjoy it more.

It's a tough call, but no way am I missing RE4 VR myself. I do expect to grab a Q3 and finally get my hands on some PC VR exclusives / VR mods and of course Alyx.

I probably hold mine for RE4 and Ultrawings. But Quest 3 is very good looking.

Sure, sell the psvr 2 but don't sell the ps5.

All that said, damn if I'm not so close to pre-ordering the Quest 3 myself. For me the only real mark I have against the device is it uses the same LCD panels as the Quest 2, with all their issues of black levels and contrast, and lacks local dimming along with that. So I'll likely hold out for actual impressions. We all know the PSVR2 preview impressions were all butterflies and rainbows then actual people got the device and all of a sudden it didn't match the vision they were selling in the previews, with all sorts of visual issues and other problems. Still, it's a good VR device

Yah you can upgrade to a Quest 3 by just selling a PSVR2 alone, no need to sell a PS5.
People really don't want me to upgrade to the PS5 Pro it seems.
Or people are worried the PS5 Pro will not actually come out?

Guess I'll hold onto the PS5, got that Spiderman 2 to look forward to.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

It’s just that we have no idea when will PS5 Pro be released, and Spider-Man 2 is on the horizon. If you want to sell, then maybe sell after finishing SM2. Then use the fund for Quest 3 games

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This looks amazing, for natively on the device.

I'm so pumped now. My only negatives are, I wish there was face and eye tracking as the horsepower seems to be there that foveat rendering would make this a beast.

I guess quest 4 will have it and maybe they release a pro of this headset with this, which I'd sell the 512gb and pick that up. If its like 1k.

Not long now. Hyped.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Espire 2 is getting an update on Oct 10th for Quest 3 hardware.

Espire 2 is receiving a free update on October 10 when Meta Quest 3 launches. Our v1.6 "Mixed Reality Missions" update features a number of graphical enhancements that take advantage of the Quest 3 hardware including: Improved atmosphere, lighting and volumetric fog effects, Metallic PBR Materials, a 4-8x increase in texture resolution and a remade "Espire Vision" view mode. Some of these new graphical enhancements will also come to the Quest 2 and Quest Pro, thanks to Meta's recent GPU/CPU performance boosts announced in mid-2023. Alongside these graphical enhancements, this free update to Espire 2 will also include a dedicated "Mixed Reality Missions" game mode. Find out more about the MR Missions here on our YouTube Channel.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member

No one knows. If there will be PS5 Pro but not PSVR2 revision, or both or none. It's all hard to tell.
Personally PS5 Pro is a no-brainer for PSVR, that thing requires high resolution and 90+ fps for great gameplay. GT7 at 90 or 120fps will be dream.

Resenge

It would be cool if Meta Quest 3 allowed streaming of Xbox games directly from the console (akin Playstation Portal but VR).
This question interested me, so I did a quick google and I thought I would report the result I found that look like it may work.

you can install APKPure through Sidequest and from there you can install all of the standard Android Xbox apps including Xbox Cloud Gaming. After that you MUST disable hand tracking or your Xbox controller will act weird, then connect your controller using Bluetooth and start up the Xbox app and do remote play.
Source

You can install APKPure through Sidequest and from there you can install all of the standard Android Xbox apps including Xbox Cloud Gaming. After that you MUST disable hand tracking or your Xbox controller will act weird, then connect your controller using Bluetooth and start up the Xbox app and do remote play.
Source

Hope that info is useful if you are interested in streaming your Xbox. The APK route seems reasonable, I might have a go with the PS5 also.

Last edited:
I want one but multiple people in my family wear glasses and I refuse to buy prescription lenses for each person. I'll wait to see impressions of how it is with glasses before jumping in.

Buggy Loop

Will Meta offer an external disc drive for the Quest 3 so I can buy games on disc and actually own them?

Mad Max Reaction GIF

Romulus

I know there has been some debate on how clear the passthrough is and if you can actually read texts etc.

Some people were saying txt was readable but really blurry and the overall look of the passthrough was like a 480p camera, others were saying it was very good and closer to 1080p.

You be the judge.

Keep in mind this is compressed video and through a phone camera

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think the app has been updated to now include Quest 3

Romulus

If Q3 can produce graphics around PSVR1 (on base PS4) or Switch, I would already be happy

Yeah PSVR1 won't be a problem at all. Switch is a pretty difficult comparison. Even though Quest 3 has a colossal horsepower advantage, Switch has the luxury of running games at stupid low resolution, settings, and framerate.

But that makes me think. They should use the mobile code for switch ports for Quest 3. Doom 2016 etc, tons of games there and probably increase settings.

Buggy Loop

An honest impression from a user that isn’t a paid influencer on YouTube gushing at every little things (fucking puppets)

«
Here’s how I found the Quest 3 compared to the Quest 2 from the demo at BestBuy:

Preface: I have never tried a Quest Pro. I have tried a lot of Quest 2s, a few Quest 1s, a few Rift Ss, Quest Go, Pico Neo 3, OG Vive, and crap-ass phone VR.

MR/Passthrough: Soooo much better. It is levels better in quality and makes reading your phone very possible. However, I would compare the image quality to watching a 180° video in YouTube at max resolution on the native YouTube Quest app. It was very acceptable, though I’ll admit my expectations were through the roof and it humbled me. Most certainly looked like a video feed, though it knocked the quest 2 out of the park. Also, no one has mentioned it, but that nasty warping of things moving in the mixed reality view from the Quest 2 is very, very still present. So, when you wave your hand in front of the display or you pass by an object in mixed reality, there will be warping following it. Quite icky.

Colors: Noticeably more vibrant. I wouldn’t say it’s a game changer, but it is a bit richer in color to my eyes. The short video demo that showed this the best for me was Asgard’s Wrath 2 (it’s a crappy video of the game in a third person perspective).

Blacks: To me, it is slightly improved. When in the Asgard’s Wrath 2 demo, I could notice things were more ‘contrasty’. I won’t say the nasty nasty grey has gone bye-bye. It’s certainly still there to haunt us a bit longer, but it has been improved. It is very obvious it’s still an LCD display.

FOV: This one is tricky for me. I use a VRCover on my Quest 2. In my experience, it greatly improved the FOV. So, with that in mind, it is very comparable to a Quest 2 that is upgraded with a VRCover… maybe even better…? It’s hard for me to say. I also idiotically forgot to mess about with the eye relief tab. That could change things, obviously.

Clarity: I can’t speak on resolution too well, as the demos were seemingly a compressed video on playback. That’s no way to check the sharpness of games fully utilizing the improved display resolution, so I dunno in that regard. The pancake lenses did add a bit more visibility for me on the edges. I was expecting something amazing from the reviews I watched… not so much. It was improved, but it’s not a whole world of difference for me. There was still chromatic abrasion fringing at the edges from distortion correction filters. They are much, much lower in visibility than the Quest 2, but they are there. »

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Do not buy this shit.

It's a great product but it's walled garden and lack of some must have features makes it a very short term investment, meta VR has the advantage of price but will end up with a brick toy without use laying around.
What the fuck are you on about?

Resenge

Do not buy this shit.

It's a great product but it's walled garden and lack of some must have features makes it a very short term investment, meta VR has the advantage of price but will end up with a brick toy without use laying around.
If it did not have PCVR support I could maybe understand your POV but I have a bought 4 Quests and use them all with PCVR, even my original Quest 1.

I dunno if you know this but the Quest 2 is the most used PCVR headset on steam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom