• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

RE Facebook:

Facebook will ban you for setting up an account that they deem is fake. Even some that used real accounts but are not very active on the platform have been banned and had their device bricked. It has the usual they own your data stuff. Keep in mind this device has many sensors. If you have an old Oculus device you can no longer use it with this device at the same time on the same account. Doing so may get you banned. If you are banned, you lose all your game purchases. By signing up you forego the right to take part in a class action lawsuit against them. But the product requires it. So basically its a really bad situation for what is otherwise an amazing device. I couldn't say no. But I do feel guilty.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
RE Facebook:

Facebook will ban you for setting up an account that they deem is fake. Even some that used real accounts but are not very active on the platform have been banned and had their device bricked. It has the usual they own your data stuff. Keep in mind this device has many sensors. If you have an old Oculus device you can no longer use it with this device at the same time on the same account. Doing so may get you banned. If you are banned, you lose all your game purchases. By signing up you forego the right to take part in a class action lawsuit against them. But the product requires it. So basically its a really bad situation for what is otherwise an amazing device. I couldn't say no. But I do feel guilty.
It doesn't get "bricked" if banned/deleted/whatever, you will lose your Store purchases made with that account however (so follow FB tos if you sign up, being inactive is not against the tos), you can always "unbrick it" with another account after all, lol. You can use multiple devices with the same account, get your bs sorted out.

Last edited:
It doesn't get "bricked" if you get your account banned/deleted/whatever, but you will lose your Store purchases made with that account however (so follow FB tos if you sign up), you can always "unbrick it" with another account after all, lol. You can use multiple devices with the same account, get your bs sorted out.
Technically you are right but after getting banned and losing all purchases who would setup another account and repurchase games all over again?

Alexios

Well, lots of people buy Quest for PC games instead of stand alone (but will obviously use that too if they can), it has a lot of value and good features for its price. PC games bought on Steam won't have an issue regardless of your FB account (but you'll need one to use the headset on PC too). Also SideQuest/sideloaded games for stand alone. I do agree that Facebook should sort it out so that accounts can be banned on social network but still able to login/use purchases, possibly not make new ones/perform any new actions or play online, not get outright inaccessible altogether. Hopefully this is just something that escaped them as a possibility when doing the switch (could Oculus accounts get banned at all and what could the player do after that, or were there no such measures whatsoever so it makes sense that they really need to devise a new method for all these situations that crop up now that they're replacing it Facebook itself which wasn't designed for it).

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
The Quest 2 is the best piece of tech, not just gaming tech, that I have used in years.
I work for a pretty big company and everyone is currently working remote. The regional managers are looking for unique ways to do their End of Year event which was normally done in person. Currently, they are trying to get everyone a Quest 2 and use the app Spatial to recreate an in person feel. We will have to see if this actually happens but the fact it is being discussed is wild.

I think the Oculus 2 has broke through to people that have not being paying attention to VR. The tech really is incredible.

Techies

Yesterday I had my Virtual Desktop moment when I tested the Quest2, where I had a perfect experience in terms of latency, walking a few meters back and forth, ducking, picking up objects, dodging stuff, taking a closer look at objects and then attempting expert on Beat saber.

The quality was ok, and upping the graphics was also playable, but with those specific settings I was running 90hz/90fps with 27ms latency (constant).

if it goes from 27ms to 29/30 I can perceive a very minor micro stutter and this was on WIFI5 5Ghz network. This was not possible on Quest1. So Virtual Desktop can in theory achieve the "perfect experience" or is very/very close.

Think some with Wifi6 might of already.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Just perched myself on a wind turbine in population one with a sniper rifle. Capped one dude from miles away and winged another. Got overexcited for a third, fell off the turbine, and genuinely for a second thought I’d dropped off a great height. Shit my pants. As it was, I fell over my bed like a fucking spanner.

10/10.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I work for a pretty big company and everyone is currently working remote. The regional managers are looking for unique ways to do their End of Year event which was normally done in person. Currently, they are trying to get everyone a Quest 2 and use the app Spatial to recreate an in person feel. We will have to see if this actually happens but the fact it is being discussed is wild.

I think the Oculus 2 has broke through to people that have not being paying attention to VR. The tech really is incredible.

This is the breakout tech. It has the same feel as the growing hype around the Wii (though on a smaller scale, obvs). It’s the accessibility that does it. I can drop into a game in thirty seconds. No fuck arsing about with wires or a PC.

pr0cs

Do you think you could actually work in a virtual desktop type environment? I believe I saw another product that effectively displayed your keyboard in VR as well (can't recall the name now) so you could type seeing where your fingers were on the keyboard. I'd like to replicate writing code but inside VR where I could feasibly have a giant monitor and pan my head around and use VSCode and other 'work' type tools without having to actually use a monitor.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Semi-related. Just got an email from Facebook about the pro strap with battery combo for quest 2 having “quality issues” and they cannot fulfill my order at this time.

I picked up one at BBY when it launched.....hope it doesn’t burn off what little hair I have left.

Body of the email

Hi Almost fully bald guy,

We are reaching out to inform you that we won't be able to ship your Quest 2 Elite Strap with Battery and Carrying Case by the estimated ship date. We are investigating some customer quality reports and while we believe this is affecting a very small percentage of Elite Strap accessories, it's important to us that we're always providing our customers with the highest-quality experience possible with our products, so we've temporarily paused on shipping inventory from our distribution centers while we look into this.

If you would like to keep your order despite the shipping delay, please let us know by contacting Oculus Support. If you request that we keep your order and fill it later, you still have the right to cancel the order at any time before we ship it to you.

The law requires that we automatically cancel your order and issue you a refund unless we hear from you or ship your order by 12/08/2020. If you do not want to wait, and would like to cancel your order for a full refund before then, you may do so from your account or by contacting Oculus Support.

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any further questions, please contact Oculus Support.

Last edited:

Alexios

The quality issue is some of the first batch are prone to breaking, bad materials or manufacturing or whatever, not the battery part though, it's the same for the strap without the battery, you dodged an expensive bullet :)

Last edited:
This is the breakout tech. It has the same feel as the growing hype around the Wii (though on a smaller scale, obvs). It’s the accessibility that does it. I can drop into a game in thirty seconds. No fuck arsing about with wires or a PC.

it is very like the Wii (and switch) including in the way it just says: fuck it, I don't need nextgen graphics to be great, artwork and fun are more important.

Btw, where are all the Wii sports fans that bought millions of Wii just for that? Did they all drown in the blue ocean? They'd really want to check out Sports Scramble, which is very much Wii Sports Ultimate Immersion Edition

Dreadhalls dev earlier this year announced Cosmophobia, reminding me The Persistence - but with actual motion controls.

these days he also announced it's coming to Quest as well, along with a sneak peak of the progress:

Jigga117

Gonna keep it 💯 with you I was a VR denier for a while because how slow it has progressed over the years and when my son got the Quest I was finally impressed for the first time. He was going to give me his Quest because he was upgrading. I got hooked so we both got the Quest 2. Never expected to spend as much time as I have in Google Earth VR. I loved the chapters of Darth Vader and put time in once a day with Robo Recall.

I am impressed how good this has been. I am glad I waited to let it mature some more. I also believe the price of content has been right as well.

Ok, my daughter's not home so I finally got around to actually trying to hook up my Quest for some more graphically demanding VR stuff

Good news is that my ryzen pc with 480 gpu seems to endure it nicely, but not optimally. Bad news is that the USB port on pc labeled 3.0 seems to be just 2.0. either that or the Chinese cable I got labeled 3.0 is just 2.0. but good news is that Oculus Link works fine even on 2.0 usb - not the best resolution or framerate, I'd say kinda fuzzy psvr standard looks. Except better graphics and crisp Q2 display and awesome tracking and controls.

I initially tried to get steam VR to work with a free demo of Redout, but sadly couldn't work that out, except as a regular flat game in a virtual screen. Guess I need virtual desktop after all.

So next I tried several demos on Rift store itself and I like it. Aircar seems to be an old demo, but as graphically good as it gets of a cyberpunk city air ride.

I'm not trying to rely on pc because it's really my daughter's and it was quite expensive here back at the time - not trying to go back at that. So I mostly won't be able to use it nor I got a clue wether my wifi is good enough for VD - still good to have the option for quality VR racing now and then...

Resenge

Well even though I knew about the Elite Strap crack problem and I handled my Quest 2 with kid gloves, my Elite Strap has cracked just as expected. Hope Oculus have sorted the problem with the replacement.

Well even though I knew about the Elite Strap crack problem and I handled my Quest 2 with kid gloves, my Elite Strap has cracked just as expected. Hope Oculus have sorted the problem with the replacement.

I feel so glad I don't have issues with the standard peasant strap

Techies

My strap still holding up well and I've stopped being careful with it. I'm trying to convince myself I got lucky and that mine is one of the "unbreakable" ones.

Also I'm really enjoying my wireless set up with virtual desktop, watching movies in the Quest 2 is a better experience than my TV.
Also got myself some bluetooth HD 350BT headphones that seem to work very well with my wireless virtual desktop set up. Everything is nicely in sync.

However connecting the bluetooth headphones directly to the Quest2 then playing a native game on it, produces a delay that's way too noticeable.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

bring it on!

if there's native Quest port, that's where I'm playing

convenience just wins over graphics, check the Switch

Everything is going to get ported to Quest, and it’ll become the baseline for devs going forward. That isn’t going to please PCVR fans, but it’s the best thing for VR moving forward. Let’s face it, if the VR industry prioritises PC over a standalone experience, it’s probably dead in the water. VR has to be wireless and easily accessible if it’s going to work. Has to be.

pr0cs

I was on the fence about a Quest2 or G2 but most of the videos I've seen of the G2 suggests that the tracking is still inferior even though a lot of other things about the G2 is better. Looks like the Quest2 is still the better choice for the software I'm most interested in.

magaman

Banned
G2 has a great screen and awesome audio. That's about it. Quest 2 is still best in class IMO, even outclassing the Index in almost every category outside of audio, controllers, and FOV.

pr0cs

G2 has a great screen and awesome audio. That's about it. Quest 2 is still best in class IMO, even outclassing the Index in almost every category outside of audio, controllers, and FOV.
Well with a little effort you can get the audio nearly equal so really it comes down to screen and I think the flexibility that the Quest 2 offers makes up for it
Stand alone
PC via link
PC via WiFi
Better tracking
Guaranteed support
Price

I'm pretty sure last time I was in Quake 2 I had saved my progress and yet it was not there... Can it be that it's got no permission to storage and is just saving on RAM?

Btw, there doesn't seem to be any way to grant unknown source software such permissions...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

I installed this last night.

It's pretty legit. The link improvements are substantial, transparent, and allow for some easy granular configuration, so you can adjust resolution and framerate.

It's great to get 90Hz in Link. Although latency hasn't been improved this is a big boost to the overall sense of immediacy and responsiveness. They also added an 80Hz option for the performance minded.

Resolution at 1.0 setting is sub native, but can be dialed up to native (1.2) and even beyond (up to 1.7). This is obviously not just Link but the rendering resolution, so expect a performance hit compared to Vive or Rift level resolutions.

Not all games have resolution settings of course, so you won't necessarily be able to play games at higher res. Games with "supersampling" options are able to push the res up to take advantage, since resampling is handled by the API. But some games, especially early Rift titles, are stuck running at Rift's 2160x1200 res, which looks fairly apalling, especially if you have to read text. We've come a long way.

Compression is still the biggest drawback. Although it looks pretty good most of the time, you'll see those artifacts creep up in the shadowy areas where they tend to hide. That's the main thing keeping this from being a total G2 killer. That and FOV.

But with this update I feel like they've definitely made good on their promise that this is the best Oculus product for PCVR. It is indeed a Rift-killer.

Last edited:
very weird to roll out a systemwide update on Friday. Btw, didn't reach everyone until now, including mine.

And the Quake 2 issue about not saving was wrong, it saved alright.

Hoping for good black Friday deals for Quest 2. Library still thin and most VR games I've already played on psvr, but for the right price might give some another spin

SF Kosmo

Hoping for good black Friday deals for Quest 2. Library still thin and most VR games I've already played on psvr, but for the right price might give some another spin
Even worse, there are a bunch of game I have on the Oculus store already that just don't support cross buy. Definitely not paying $30 for Beat Saber twice especially while Virtual Desktop is a thing, bit it'd be nice.

I installed this last night.

It's pretty legit. The link improvements are substantial, transparent, and allow for some easy granular configuration, so you can adjust resolution and framerate.

It's great to get 90Hz in Link. Although latency hasn't been improved this is a big boost to the overall sense of immediacy and responsiveness. They also added an 80Hz option for the performance minded.

Resolution at 1.0 setting is sub native, but can be dialed up to native (1.2) and even beyond (up to 1.7). This is obviously not just Link but the rendering resolution, so expect a performance hit compared to Vive or Rift level resolutions.

Not all games have resolution settings of course, so you won't necessarily be able to play games at higher res. Games with "supersampling" options are able to push the res up to take advantage, since resampling is handled by the API. But some games, especially early Rift titles, are stuck running at Rift's 2160x1200 res, which looks fairly apalling, especially if you have to read text. We've come a long way.

Compression is still the biggest drawback. Although it looks pretty good most of the time, you'll see those artifacts creep up in the shadowy areas where they tend to hide. That's the main thing keeping this from being a total G2 killer. That and FOV.

But with this update I feel like they've definitely made good on their promise that this is the best Oculus product for PCVR. It is indeed a Rift-killer.

your standards are too high

I was happy enough that my pc is able to handle some games and that even over a usb 2.0 cable it was able to look better than most psvr games on Pro, at about as fuzzy resolution...

SF Kosmo

your standards are too high

I was happy enough that my pc is able to handle some games and that even over a usb 2.0 cable it was able to look better than most psvr games on Pro, at about as fuzzy resolution...
Yeah but I guess the thing that gets me is that VD does it better with less bitrate. Like it could be amazing with some tweaks.

But honestly, it's a big improvement over Rift, I gave my Rift away after using it for a couple weeks. It's really good for the money it just waiting for it to really live up to its potential.

Last edited:
Even worse, there are a bunch of game I have on the Oculus store already that just don't support cross buy. Definitely not paying $30 for Beat Saber twice especially while Virtual Desktop is a thing, bit it'd be nice.

not paying for BS either way, but still weird that now that they're Oculus it doesn't allow crossbuy

anyway, I'm really eyeing Asgard's Wrath and Stormlands but also some native Quest games

SF Kosmo

anyway, I'm really eyeing Asgard's Wrath and Stormlands but also some native Quest games
Both of those games are worth it. Stormland I think got a little shortchanged by the Sony buyout. It seems like they wanted to support it with updates and content in a way they haven't but it's still good for a couple plays through. The mechanics are super fun.

Also Lone Echo, I friggin love Lone Echo.

Last edited:

Also you need to have a Facebook account to use the Quest 2. That's the biggest drawback.

I tried to follow the steps from some youtube channels to update to firmware version 23 but somehow it didn't work. These Facebook incremental updates are freaking lame. Just release it to everyone already. Tomorrow I am getting my 3070 I can't wait to try the Quest 2 with Alyx and VD :))))

Last edited:
Top Bottom