• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Romulus

Sometimes it's okay to pay for an experience you don't repeat. I wouldn't replay Alyx if I kept my Quest for life, too many other games to play. And I can sell this headset for more than I got it for on a deal. It's really no sweat.

Bit of a weird inquisition when all I asked for was some good games, you really not got anything to recommend at all?

Idk just bizarre that you were acting like $200 is just crazy to have "sitting around" but you want to inflate that price by buying games you'll never play again. And your reasoning makes no sense to me, but carry on.
I'm not recommending games, there's dozens of videos to search and make your own decisions. Plenty of good recommendations in this thread.

Romulus

I think the upcoming Grid Legend port is going to be fascinating to see from a hardware perspective. It's a major and recent PC/console game release that's being ported to mobile hardware. But this isn't like a switch port where you can tank the resolution to 480p and dump 20-30fps on consumers and they'll take it. No, this HAS to run at 60fps or people will slaughter it in reviews because it's VR. Motion sickness is a thing.

There's just no way around the fact that big cuts will be made, I'm just curious how they will attempt it.

Idk, anyone who says VR is just "neat" probably needs to move on. It's not clicking. For me, it's a whole new way to game. My ps5 and switch just collect dust for months for this reason.

Conversely, My Quest 2 is collecting dust while my PS5 gets most of my game-time.

Romulus

Conversely, My Quest 2 is collecting dust while my PS5 gets most of my game-time.

Everything just feels samey to me on PS5. No uniqueness or invocation. Basically ps4 but with slightly better settings and framerate. I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous in VR and every time I boot it up, it feels like I'm gaming in the future. Even if you dropped a PS6 in my lap, it wouldn't give me that feeling. 2D screens are just so limited in what they can do compared to stereoscopic. Granted, I'm into mods and playing big budget games with PCVR, that made all the difference for me. Actually retro stuff is amazing too. Even the original Doom in VR is magnitudes better than Doom Eternal on Max settings PC without VR. That's just me.

Last edited:
Everything just feels samey to me on PS5. No uniqueness or invocation. Basically ps4 but with slightly better settings and framerate. I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous in VR and every time I boot it up, it feels like I'm gaming in the future. Even if you dropped a PS6 in my lap, it wouldn't give me that feeling. 2D screens are just so limited in what they can do compared to stereoscopic. Granted, I'm into mods and playing big budget games with PCVR, that made all the difference for me. Actually retro stuff is amazing too. Even the original Doom in VR is magnitudes better than Doom Eternal on Max settings PC without VR. That's just me.

I'm curious as to where you see all the uniqueness or innovation in VR games. Elite Dangerous isn't even a game that was designed for VR... it's a pancake game that had VR functionality added later. It's ironic that you mention big budget games and mods, when those ALSO were not developed for VR. You're playing 2D pancake games modded for VR, but you say that 2D pancake games are samey? I'm confused.

VR games have almost 0 uniqueness at this point-- it's all the same stuff over and over. Partially because VR controllers are way more limiting in functionality than a pancake game, which limits the types of experiences you can have. If you wanted to play a game like God of War, with 1 to 1 mapping to your hands instead of button combinations on a controller, it wouldn't work. You can't physically perform those moves in real life, so VR is out.

Being able to physically aim a weapon in VR is fun for a while, and then it's not. Eventually I got to the point where I'd rather just sit on a couch and relax again.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm curious as to where you see all the uniqueness or innovation in VR games. Elite Dangerous isn't even a game that was designed for VR... it's a pancake game that had VR functionality added later. It's ironic that you mention big budget games and mods, when those ALSO were not developed for VR. You're playing 2D pancake games modded for VR, but you say that 2D pancake games are samey? I'm confused.

VR games have almost 0 uniqueness at this point-- it's all the same stuff over and over. Partially because VR controllers are way more limiting in functionality than a pancake game, which limits the types of experiences you can have. If you wanted to play a game like God of War, with 1 to 1 mapping to your hands instead of button combinations on a controller, it wouldn't work. You can't physically perform those moves in real life, so VR is out.

Being able to physically aim a weapon in VR is fun for a while, and then it's not. Eventually I got to the point where I'd rather just sit on a couch and relax again.

Being able to see the scale of a planet in front of me in Elite is unique because no other game has done that for me. My mind can process it, unlike a flat screen. The scale of those worlds is actually realized for flat games. I can get a sense of the size of any ship or planet. Just looking around a corner in GTA5 while driving is unique to VR.
On the innovation side, I Expect you to die, Moss, Until You Fall, Asgard's Wrath, Stormland, Resist are a few. Asgard's Wrath gives you the chance to play as a God from the overhead perspective and a warrior, not to mention all the motion controls. Iron Man VR allows you to fly with the thrusters embedded in your hands. That's a completely new way to transverse. You can even limit your power by half and fire with the other hand while moving 360 degrees. When I play a ps5 game, its what I did on ps4 but now in 60fps!

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is it worth to have a Quest 2 instead of a monitor for daily gaming, VR and non VR?
I have the Immersed app and while it’s a cool to use I think you’d need just little bit higher res than the Quest 2 to make it your daily driver. Another issue is just the fatigue of wearing the headset. That can be mitigated by using the elite/halo style head strap. I think the Quest 3 will be capable of doing it if the 30% higher res rumors are true.

Sleepwalker

Is there an easy way to use my quest 2 with my PC? I want to finally play HL Alyx but if the process is too convoluted I'll pass lol

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Quest Pro is 1800p per eye.
Good point, I hadn't looked all that closely at the specs since the price put me off further interest for now.

It's a bit strange that they didn't bump it a bit for this productivity model. Actually, looking into it, what's even more disappointing is that the passthrough isn't as good as advertised. For virtual screens, I'd really want a headset that pushes AR / VR hybrid content, so I can use the virtual screens either inside my real room or in a virtual space on occasion. That's pretty much 100% necessary -- having the AR-style passthrough option -- or I wouldn't even consider a headset for any work & productivity. Quest Pro was sold on that dream but apparently the actual passthrough quality is too poor to be of full use.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Are the pixels clearly visible?
I think it's "okay", you can browse the internet with it. Depends on what you expect though.
Is there an easy way to use my quest 2 with my PC? I want to finally play HL Alyx but if the process is too convoluted I'll pass lol
I struggled a lot until I managed to run Steam Vr. I had to watch 10-15 videos to understand how to do it. If you are a console player, you may find it difficult, a plug-and-play experience is not waiting for you. If you are used to the difficulties of playing games on PC, you will find yourself in a familiar environment.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Not planning on using it enough to pay for the app, but thanks! Is there a free alternative? I also dont care about just hooking up a cable lol
VirtualDesktop is worth it, very cheap one-time purchase and makes the experience smooth.

You can also use AirLink, it's built in for the Quest (I find its performance to be a bit inferior to VirtualDesktop but it's free). Just install the Oculus desktop app, turn on Airlink on your Quest settings, and you're set.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
VirtualDesktop is worth it, very cheap one-time purchase and makes the experience smooth.

You can also use AirLink, it's built in for the Quest (I find its performance to be a bit inferior to VirtualDesktop but it's free). Just install the Oculus desktop app, turn on Airlink on your Quest settings, and you're set.
Yeah Virtual Desktop is a much more pleasant experience than Airlink. I'm surprised someone hasn't bought the guy out as they could take some lessons from him in making the experience seamless.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'll post more timely/thoroughly after the 13th/15th of the month. Lol @ the Vive XR Elite euro-price. 1449. I was about to make a thread but screw that. For that price it should come with eye tracking and a second XR Elite for a friend, this is between a Quest 2 and a Pro and the cost reflects that.

After the 18th after all ;_;

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Derail Valley's been showing off the upcoming Simulator update with some short but sweet tweets like below. It looks pretty rad.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, changed my mind - Half-Life Alyx was good enough on its own to convince me to keep my Quest 2. Best VR experience I've had by quite some margin. Don't get me wrong, Beat Saber, Superhot and a few others were really cool, but I'm only a few hours into Alyx and it's outstanding.

Romulus

Well, changed my mind - Half-Life Alyx was good enough on its own to convince me to keep my Quest 2. Best VR experience I've had by quite some margin. Don't get me wrong, Beat Saber, Superhot and a few others were really cool, but I'm only a few hours into Alyx and it's outstanding.

What other pcvr titles have you tried?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What other pcvr titles have you tried?

Can't remember all of them, been a good while. A puzzle game where my hands were locked in a cage, a climbing game, rec room, Valve's first thing they did, Rez, Keep Talking.

I looked at Bonelabs/works, Pistol Whip and RE4 after some recommendations in this thread so one of those is probably next up. Probably RE4 before the remake comes out.

I tried Flight Sim last night and it's fun, but I prefer it on a monitor with DLSS3 and everything cranked up now that I have a card that supports it.

Last edited:

Romulus

Can't remember all of them, been a good while. A puzzle game where my hands were locked in a cage, a climbing game, rec room, Valve's first thing they did, Rez, Keep Talking.

I looked at Bonelabs/works, Pistol Whip and RE4 after some recommendations in this thread so one of those is probably next up. Probably RE4 before the remake comes out.

I tried Flight Sim last night and it's fun, but I prefer it on a monitor with DLSS3 and everything cranked up now that I have a card that supports it.

Since you're playing pcvr, I would suggest Asgards Wrath, Stormland, or Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. There's also an incredible mod of Half Life 2 that works well.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I bought this headset strap with battery and tried it out for the first time today.
61kPyH28NJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

61jqLOhjvWL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I like everything about it except the back black rubber brace rests on my head a little weird. I flipped it upside down and it helped out, but I think I'm going to attach some padding to it so the top part of it rests more snuggly against my head. The rest of it is surprisingly good for the price. The fit adjustment wheel is much faster and easier than using the generic headset strap. The battery is working correctly although I haven't had a chance to test how long it will last.

I wanted a headset strap with a built-in battery for when my boys and their friends or cousins get together and play. We stream it to the TV using a Chromecast, which works amazingly, so it drains the battery really fast. If we could go from ~1.5hrs to 3hrs while streaming that would be awesome. I got it from Amazon for $40, so I figured there wasn't much to lose at that price.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I bought this headset strap with battery and tried it out for the first time today.

I like everything about it except the back black rubber brace rests on my head a little weird. I flipped it upside down and it helped out, but I think I'm going to attach some padding to it so the top part of it rests more snuggly against my head. The rest of it is surprisingly good for the price. The fit adjustment wheel is much faster and easier than using the generic headset strap. The battery is working correctly although I haven't had a chance to test how long it will last.

I wanted a headset strap with a built-in battery for when my boys and their friends or cousins get together and play. We stream it to the TV using a Chromecast, which works amazingly, so it drains the battery really fast. If we could go from ~1.5hrs to 3hrs while streaming that would be awesome. I got it from Amazon for $40, so I figured there wasn't much to lose at that price.
Looks a bit similar to the one we have, from BoboVR:

It has the battery spot on the back where you magnetically attach it, and we have the double batteries with charger stand -- so basically you can easily swap the batteries when playing and now there's never a time when it's dead. Really nice, especially since it used to be the case that my son had run the battery down every time I actually had a minute to play it.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Wow, that's actually a pretty great price. I wonder if there's anything that may start breaking after an extended period of usage. I'm tempted to get it myself since I'm still rocking the stock Quest 2 strap which sucks ass and gives me Oculus face every time, lol.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Wow, that's actually a pretty great price. I wonder if there's anything that may start breaking after an extended period of usage. I'm tempted to get it myself since I'm still rocking the stock Quest 2 strap which sucks ass and gives me Oculus face every time, lol.
I won’t really know the durability until the kids get a hold of it and put it through its paces with long sessions. The way I saw it was that since it’s through Amazon I’d have 30-day return/replace window, so it was worth a shot. There’s a lot I like about it like the forehead and top of head has padded braces. I’ll need to attach some padding to the back rubber brace. I like the adjustment wheel and the battery feature. The battery was the biggest reason I bought it.

There’s all sorts of variations on that style of headset strap, too. Like the BoBoVR shown above. I’d say at $40-50 with a 30-day return policy, why not give one a try?

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom