• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just saw a video from Mysticle on QuestCraft standalone Minecraft for Quest 2. Installed it through SideQuest and tried it out for awhile. Really cool shit. Adds a whole new dimension to Minecraft. It's really convenient being able to run it directly off the headset.

---
I was looking through SideQuest I still need to get around to installing some of the other Team Beef VR conversions like DOOM 3, Voxel DOOM, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Jedi Knight. I have QuestZDoom and Quake 3 already. Quake 3 plays really well in VR. Team Beef kicks some serious ass. I need to donate to their patreon at some point.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wish that I wanted to play more in VR. I have a large library of games, the majority I haven’t even booted up.
I go through phases. Sometimes I can’t get enough of it and sometimes I just can’t be bothered. Quest 2 with the halo strap does help. So quick to get on. Finding time with a family is tough.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I go through phases. Sometimes I can’t get enough of it and sometimes I just can’t be bothered. Quest 2 with the halo strap does help. So quick to get on. Finding time with a family is tough.
Yeah, I have that strap as well. I even have an infrared dongle that connects to the headset, and I can plug my battery into as well, so I can play in the absolute dark.

My main hindrance is a 7 month old that we’re sleep training, an autistic 4 year old that’s decided in the last two weeks that she doesn’t like sleeping alone anymore and screams at the top of her lungs, and a 13 year old that wants to hang out with me, and eat up what used to be my alone time.

Kids. Man. I love them, but fuck. They aren’t great for my gaming habits, especially VR.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Just saw a video from Mysticle on QuestCraft standalone Minecraft for Quest 2. Installed it through SideQuest and tried it out for awhile. Really cool shit. Adds a whole new dimension to Minecraft. It's really convenient being able to run it directly off the headset.

---
I was looking through SideQuest I still need to get around to installing some of the other Team Beef VR conversions like DOOM 3, Voxel DOOM, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Jedi Knight. I have QuestZDoom and Quake 3 already. Quake 3 plays really well in VR. Team Beef kicks some serious ass. I need to donate to their patreon at some point.

Yeah I've been playing Questcraft off and on for a while, and it had broken last year after some software update, but that new release fixed everything for me.

The framerate and draw distance aren't perfect outside, but it's good enough and is perfectly smooth when inside any sort of cave or structure, where I happen to spend most of my time exploring anyway.

It's amazing that Microsoft has no official version of Minecraft VR out there. Criminal how they mismanage the franchises and companies that they acquire.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah, I have that strap as well. I even have an infrared dongle that connects to the headset, and I can plug my battery into as well, so I can play in the absolute dark.

My main hindrance is a 7 month old that we’re sleep training, an autistic 4 year old that’s decided in the last two weeks that she doesn’t like sleeping alone anymore and screams at the top of her lungs, and a 13 year old that wants to hang out with me, and eat up what used to be my alone time.

Kids. Man. I love them, but fuck. They aren’t great for my gaming habits, especially VR.

I've got the IR dongle as well and it works surprisingly well. You can wander around your house at night with night vision like a Navy Seal. LOL.

Yeah. Family commits are a thing. My kids are older then yours so I don't have to worry so much about that but I still have a wife and dog who for some reason wants to spend time with a grumpy man.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

The best VR PVP multiplayer game that's not (just) an FPS is shutting down after July! I can't believe it, what a waste of potential. They never even put Echo Combat in the Quest version. This is why games need player-ran servers as in the '90s, so fans may keep the good ones up forever.

Idk if I hope their next project is Echo VR 2 so they want folks to migrate. I'd prefer something more creative but the amazing locomotion method they devised for their games should not be lost with their relevancy. Maybe a sequel to Lone Echo and Echo VR + more..? VR Orange Box!

More bad news from Meta as owners of Quest (1) will be locked out of playing Onward, which unlike Echo VR was not even a f2p game, until they buy a newer device. Apparently they don't wish to allow them a final functional version without crossplay or send out refunds out of policy.

With rumours saying Quest 3 will be 2.5x as powerful as 2, could Meta choose any cut off time before forcing owners to upgrade for any game? Quest launched in 2019. Do still functional console games often drop old systems? I'm mostly aware of monthly fee MMO type games doing it.

The Quest launched in 2019. On 2006's Wii Dragon Quest X (Japan) is no longer playable yet the game lives on other platforms. It has a monthly fee so you stop paying. Wii Activision games like Call of Duty still work in single player (which Onward offers). Online servers shut down in 2020.​

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've got the IR dongle as well and it works surprisingly well. You can wander around your house at night with night vision like a Navy Seal. LOL.

Yeah. Family commits are a thing. My kids are older then yours so I don't have to worry so much about that but I still have a wife and dog who for some reason wants to spend time with a grumpy man.
This is the first I'm hearing of the IR add-ons... it would be great to play in total darkness. Which brand did you pick up? Time to look into this.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This is the first I'm hearing of the IR add-ons... it would be great to play in total darkness. Which brand did you pick up? Time to look into this.
This is what I ordered last year

Fn1U0N4aMAI0n52

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
With rumours saying Quest 3 will be 2.5x as powerful as 2, could Meta choose any cut off time before forcing owners to upgrade for any game? Quest launched in 2019. Do still functional console games often drop old systems? I'm mostly aware of monthly fee MMO type games doing it.
As a Quest 2 owner I am a little concerned about Quest 3 coming out too quickly, so I hope it's at least another year away. I know a lot of people who bought them just this last Christmas, even some of my extended family who tried mine. I'd hate to see them feel left out that quickly, because these are expensive devices.

I don't think it will be too quick of a transition though, since the install base for Quest2 seems pretty massive now and I'm sure devs will want to stay compatible with that for a while. And there's always the final consolation that my Q2 will remain a great PC VR device even its native shop ever dies off...

Alexios

As a Quest 2 owner I am a little concerned about Quest 3 coming out too quickly, so I hope it's at least another year away. I know a lot of people who bought them just this last Christmas, even some of my extended family who tried mine. I'd hate to see them feel left out that quickly, because these are expensive devices.

I don't think it will be too quick of a transition though, since the install base for Quest2 seems pretty massive now and I'm sure devs will want to stay compatible with that for a while. And there's always the final consolation that my Q2 will remain a great PC VR device even its native shop ever dies off...
It should last longer by virtue of the same (even if a bit beefed up with higher clocks or more ram) soc being in Pro, as well as all current/shortly coming competitor devices. It certainly doesn't bode well for it lasting anywhere near as long as the Activision Wii game servers I mentioned, if even an average console cycle, though. It's also still a shitty thing to do, I'm sure it's done because they can see the stats so presumably not enough folks play on the Quest vs newer systems to make backlash matter but then if that's the case they can afford to refund them rather than leave them like this, if it's really too costly to let them keep a final version with single player, if not a matchmaking server for p2p. It's still in freaking early access, they cut support before a full launch, never mind too soon after that. Funny how their rep took a hit when they downgraded the PC version's visuals with the Quest version launch, supposedly for crossplay (which I'm sure can be done and still keep much nicer PC graphics but they don't wanna maintain that beyond higher res textures and other common things their engine as it is handles I guess), now they want to only work with higher specs, lol?

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextfest?tab=17

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Right, so after seeing CrustyBritches CrustyBritches endorsing that BoboVR strap, I did a bit of research and found that within that price range, it was actually among the most popular/highest rated straps so I made a gamble and decided to try it out myself. I also got myself a nice case to go with it since up until now I stored the goggles on my shelf, which probably didn't do it any justice by being exposed to dust and other elements.

326001643_1374990506671415_5287667685805081885_n.jpg

Anyway, looking good! I'm gonna play some games after work but I already fitted it to my head and tried all the gizmos that go along with it and so far it made a decent impression. Doesn't strike me as a product that would fall apart after a few months but we'll see. It's a huge improvement over the shitty stock head strap, that's for sure, lol. A huge bonus and a big reason why I got this one over any other was the battery dock with 2 magnet-attached batteries that I can just snap to this charging station right here (I stuck it to the side of the cupboard for easy access) and then slap it back on when it's charged without evenremoving the headset.

325181208_522320919884266_6345820863999614542_n.jpg

Cool shit. Finally I will be able to play for more than 3 hours at a time without having to recharge.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

Hell yeah! Having the extra battery is awesome. Especially when you're playing with a group and streaming to the TV. The fit adjustment wheel has been great, too. The kids always had a hard time doing the default Quest 2 strap for some reason. Now they just spin the wheel. I still need to attach some padding on the back rubber brace on mine. It could be that I have a huge head, but it's not as snug as I prefer. I have an extra PU leather face cushion that came with the VRCover. I'm going to attach that for a better fit.

P.S.-That was ResurrectedContrarian ResurrectedContrarian who mentioned the BoboVR, I was just saying there were a bunch of options like what I got and BoboVR that was listed above. Mine is "8VR" brand.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Cool shit. Finally I will be able to play for more than 3 hours at a time without having to recharge.
The double battery charger changes everything. Since buying it we've not had a single time when our Quest 2 was dead. If it's low, you just swap the batteries while playing and keep going. Absolutely necessity when my son is always playing it and it used to be borderline dead every time I'd have minute to play.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've seen some VR haptic gloves before, but I think this is the first setup that has rumble, pressure, and temperature. The setup appears a little cumbersome with the Quest 2 controllers attached to the back of the hand for tracking, but this is a glimpse into the future of VR. Some day I might finally be able to touch a boob. I hear they feel like a bag of sand.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

Hell yeah! Having the extra battery is awesome. Especially when you're playing with a group and streaming to the TV. The fit adjustment wheel has been great, too. The kids always had a hard time doing the default Quest 2 strap for some reason. Now they just spin the wheel. I still need to attach some padding on the back rubber brace on mine. It could be that I have a huge head, but it's not as snug as I prefer. I have an extra PU leather face cushion that came with the VRCover. I'm going to attach that for a better fit.

P.S.-That was ResurrectedContrarian ResurrectedContrarian who mentioned the BoboVR, I was just saying there were a bunch of options like what I got and BoboVR that was listed above. Mine is "8VR" brand.
Yeah, I had to fiddle around with it as well but eventually found a good position and now it's resting on my dome very firmly. All I have to do is to tighten the wheel when I put it on and I'm set. It's such a huge difference from the stock strap which I had to constantly adjust because I was losing focus on the lenses and the image was getting blurry all the time but with Bobo it's super clear no matter how much I move around. The only downside that I noticed though is that my face gets way more sweaty now.

The double battery charger changes everything. Since buying it we've not had a single time when our Quest 2 was dead. If it's low, you just swap the batteries while playing and keep going. Absolutely necessity when my son is always playing it and it used to be borderline dead every time I'd have minute to play.
I've been playing that Medal of Honor game recently (Quest 2 version) and it's such a resource hog that it was draining the battery in less than 2 hours of playing so it felt hella good to slap on that backup battery when I got the notification that Quest 2 battery was running low, lol.

Alexios

Forgot to post for a couple days.

Last edited:

Sausy1987

When I used to put this down for a couple of months at a time Facebook used send me discount codes and I would buy something and play it. They stopped doing that 4 or 5 months ago . With psvr2 very close and oculus quest 3 coming maybe it's time to cash in .

Alexios

I would think Bigscreen would want a cheap stand alone VR set to expand their userbase with but they went the opposite direction with a high end expensive lighthouse compatible HMD. No eye tracking or anything for that $$$$, it's all about the small/custom form factor, high res micro oleds etc.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I would think Bigscreen would want a cheap stand alone VR set to expand their userbase with but they went the opposite direction with a high end expensive lighthouse compatible HMD. No eye tracking or anything for that $$$$, it's all about the small/custom form factor, high res micro oleds etc.​
They customized the IPD for the user at build time, too... which I actually don't want in hardware that expensive, because I expect to share it with others (...my kids at the very least). I guess if you're a solo guy / bachelor this might be great, but it's made to not be adjustable to different users so that's a bit insane in my case.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

I know folks don't care for VR unless Sony or someone says to but, lots of cool stuff today, again 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Alexios

Not everything VR is about Sony today (just most of it) so here's some PC & Quest stuff worth checking out too.

Last edited:

hlm666

Openxr toolkit is really useful even if you don't have eye tracking. I've used it to add fixed foveated rendering to some sims, you can set it up so it's only effecting a small part of your peripheral that goes to shit with fresnel lenses anyway.

I tried a Quest 2 and it was more blurry and distorted than an old PSVR, like anything outside of dead centre was a mess of light rays and chromatic aberration regardless of the angle or tightness of the fit. I know some distortion is to be expected, obviously, but this was far worse than anything I've ever seen and I have no idea how normal that was?

Anyway, I got a Pico 4 instead. It has pancake lenses, wider FOV, a high resolution plus more precise IPD settings. The comfort is much greater too. Losing RE4VR hurts a bit, but otherwise I'm just streaming from PC anyway

Romulus

I tried a Quest 2 and it was more blurry and distorted than an old PSVR, like anything outside of dead centre was a mess of light rays and chromatic aberration regardless of the angle or tightness of the fit. I know some distortion is to be expected, obviously, but this was far worse than anything I've ever seen and I have no idea how normal that was?

Anyway, I got a Pico 4 instead. It has pancake lenses, wider FOV, a high resolution plus more precise IPD settings. The comfort is much greater too. Losing RE4VR hurts a bit, but otherwise I'm just streaming from PC anyway

Yeah something is not right with that. Never heard of that actually. Quest 2 is leaps and bounds better in terms of clarity and the resolution is way higher than psvr1. Even the sweet spot isn't bad at all for Quest 2 compared to something like psvr2.

Last edited:
Yeah something is not right with that. Never heard of that actually. Quest 2 is leaps and bounds better in terms of clarity and the resolution is way higher than psvr1. Even the sweet spot isn't bad at all for Quest 2 compared to something like psvr2.
That's the thing, I know the resolution is much higher but the image seemed more clear on the PSVR. The sweet spot on the Quest 2 was extremely tiny. Anyhing outside of the tiny sweet spot was mangled hard.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Not my experience with it. Maybe you had the IPD set way off?

Alexios

Stuff I've retweeted that may have gotten lost in the PSVR2 hype shuffle the last few days that most have seen with the State of Play and stuff you can hardly miss if you don't want to.

Last edited:

Alexios

Continued. Just a selection mind, not everything (I'm sure fans heard about Beat Saber's added tracks for example). Not back to regular posting yet, just wanted to highlight some stuff.

Last edited:

hlm666

Will have to check out presentiment of death, thanks for bringing that to my attention Alexios Alexios . Have to check out Storm Drain aswell while I wait to see if the half life 2 source 2 mod progresses.

Alexios

Some nice stuff for the page's end (only for some random comment to come and bury this and the previous two posts with so much stuff, oh well, such is the forum life, those who care see). VR sure has tons of new, updated & upcoming releases to discuss for a dead medium, eh Mr. Usual Suspect?

Last edited:
Top Bottom