• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Maxim726X

But again, if the game or games aren't there to justify the purchase why would anyone invest $600 on the occulus?

Elite Dangerous?

I'm not saying Sony's vr solution is going to be better. I'm definitely saying it's going to be "cheaper".

This is what I'm wondering, and who would be willing to start developing games now with the requirements and price?

I just don't see the incentive. Unless they are moneyhatting, which another poster suggested.

kavanf1

People shouldn't deride those willing to pay for this first release. Without those guys the whole thing falls on its arse and VR won't reach a stage where it's affordable for the masses.

The Oculus Rift was never the device to make VR "take off" or become mainstream. Even if it was $350 it wouldn't be that device. At any price it's an early adopter enthusiast product for people with $1000+ PC's. This is the equivalent of the very first smartphone, and people are talking as if it should have immediately been the iPhone. It's going to take years.

Mrbob

Whats funny is, PS VR is going to be around the same price. I don't see how people are thinking that it won't be. It comes with its own mini processing box, move controller, and the headset.

It will be cheaper, but not by much.

I believe PSVR is one screen though instead of two for the rift. Should be able to drive down a decently lower cost because of this.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone cancel your pre-orders so I can get bumped up from May.

Stupid client meeting delaying my purchase!

Piggus

Whats funny is, PS VR is going to be around the same price.

No, it won't be. Care to enlighten us with a breakdown of the PSVR's major components and their estimated cost? Because I guarantee you will not come up with anything near $600, let alone 400.

And yet, even with your updated prediction, you're still living in a dream world.

People who thought PS Vita would be less than $350 were "living in a dream world." Don't underestimate Sony's manufacturing advantage compared to most companies. $300 is a perfectly reasonable estimate.

RK128

Whats funny is, PS VR is going to be around the same price. I don't see how people are thinking that it won't be. It comes with its own mini processing box, move controller, and the headset.

Then how is it going to be a success then?

Sony knows they have a stigma when it comes to support add-ons to consoles (PS Eye and PS Move say hello) and just looking at the Vita is a good indication of what they do with things that aren't killer hits. Sony needs to have PS VR be a success at launch and to push the device in the smartest way, would be to make it cheaper then every other VR set on the market.

300 bucks for a PS VR would be a nice price, as people with PS4's can give it a shot without paying an arm & a leg all the while presenting chances for a 500-600$ bundle for PS VR (Move Controller, PS Camera, PS4, Game or two, PS VR Kit, ect).

Anything more then 300$ has me thinking "This will do only okay at best".

Price is about what I expected, but can't afford right now - especially since I'll have to upgrade my PC first. Pretty excited to know it's finally coming though. :D Can't wait for the future!

Enk

makes good threads.
About $100 more than my estimate but I still preordered (March!). The experiences my dk1&2 provided me are unequaled, and the consumer version will be even better than that. The higher price point should have been expected. This is new tech and with vr you especially need the experience to be as smooth as possible or you'll be getting a lot of motion sick people turn off by it. Price will go down eventually like nearly everything else in tech.

Jyrii

Banned
66UoULM.png

Outrage!

Seriously though, I somehow find it hilarious I still meet the USB requirement unlike many others with actual good rigs.

Dr.Acula

Banned
PC VR will never be affordable, actually I expect the premium experience entry point will only increase. CV2 is no doubt 1-2 years behind CV1, requiring at minimum 120Hz 1440p equivalent rendering power--if not 4k or something in between. AAA experience developers will continue pushing fidelity further and further, requiring even faster GPU/CPU's. Nvidia and Intel own/will own 90%+ of their respective markets and have no incentive to drive their high end parts down in price, rather that will continue to increase. In the past few years i7's have climbed from high $200's to over $350+ and GTX X80's have gone from $500 to $650.

You have to consider we've been stuck at 1080p@60hz for a really long time now. We actually backslid from CRTs that would go to 1600x1200@120. With games being so heavily GPU focused, Intel has had no incentive to drop prices, because no games or peripherals have required high-end CPUs for years. If VR starts to break out and people look to upgrade to high-end CPUs the prices should actually come down.

b0bbyJ03

People always want advances in tech but don't want to pay the price. Would did u guys think this would cost after multiple years of R&D. Plus it's got a pretty hi res screen.

ViciousDS

Banned
XHDzvO5.png

wow, they want you to have a really nice processor

a 3770k is not compatible......I have your exact setup....welp fuck that then, not even going to bother. Will wait for PSVR then....will be cheaper no matter what I do because I already have hardware that can run the software they are making for it.

Anyone who expected this to be cheap was fooling themselves. Arthur Gies had said multiple time over the last year that this stuff was going to be expensive. He said some will even be closer to $1,000.

I guess I just don't know what everyone was expecting in regards to pricing...

gnexus

I'd like a version for $50 cheaper WITHOUT an xbox one controller, considering I have 4 of them as is.

Yeah, same. It even comes with a wireless adapter, too. Which I also have.. Oh well, I guess I could ebay the stuff I don't need to help "subsidize" the price.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I expected it to be expensive but maybe not quite this expensive. It doesn't change my plans though as I will wait at least a year or two before considering buying any of these headsets.

I think I might wait to see what PSVR has to offer, because I am right on the fringe for the minimum specs. Jealous I won't get to be a Day 1er

Warewolf

I love all this DOA talk, yet the preorders keep rolling and rolling in.. Next we'll hear people saying June is their ship date, I highly doubt we are talking about 50 orders a month or something..

And after they start shipping we'll see people saying their ship date just got bumped up, as dozens of orders don't get paid.

When all you need is an email address and an empty paypal account to preorder, Jump in! The water's fine!

Not saying the DOA talk has any merit, just that these preorders aren't a bulletproof metric.

Grief.exe

a 3770k is not compatible......I have your exact setup....welp fuck that then, not even going to bother. Will wait for PSVR then....will be cheaper no matter what I do because I already have hardware that can run the software they are making for it.

That system sounds somewhat fucked up in that case.

Check out 3D Mark tests instead.

The 3770k is fine. The tool is inaccurate.

Cmon guys..

Top Bottom