• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Occam

Conflicting messages. So the Euro price doesn't include import taxes after all?
4Rf03aB.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I get that they wanted one model to preorder to make things smoother and easier.

Still think they should have tried a model without the extras just to get the initial absolute bottom line price closer to $500.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
a 3770k is not compatible......I have your exact setup....welp fuck that then, not even going to bother. Will wait for PSVR then....will be cheaper no matter what I do because I already have hardware that can run the software they are making for it.

I think the 3770k will be fine. They previously said to run 3dmark fire strike and if you're over 9000 you're good. I ran it a little over 10k with a 3770k/ 970/ 16 gig ram.

The Oculus Rift was never the device to make VR "take off" or become mainstream. Even if it was $350 it wouldn't be that device. At any price it's an early adopter enthusiast product for people with $1000+ PC's. This is the equivalent of the very first smartphone, and people are talking as if it should have immediately been the iPhone. It's going to take years.

Thank you for making sense.

4Rf03aB.jpg

This guy is kind of a dick, huh?

Lol sounds a little like Adam Orth, v2.0.

Apparently, Luckey is oblivious to how the global economy (vis a vis trade deals) actually works.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme I guess, but that vapid, asshole response made me a bit less of a fan of their product. Plus, it makes him sound like a dumb-ass.

Piggus

Not really surprised. PSVR will obviously be much cheaper but will also be a lesser experience.

Based on the impressions I've read, PS VR seems to hold its own pretty damn well. The major difference is on PC you get a lot of user generated content.

Wagram

a 3770k is not compatible......I have your exact setup....welp fuck that then, not even going to bother. Will wait for PSVR then....will be cheaper no matter what I do because I already have hardware that can run the software they are making for it.

i3820 isn't compatible either apparently. My rig certainly isn't top of the line anymore, but this PC is still better than mostly anything out there. They're really trying to attract a niche here.

ElCidTmax

I can't see how anyone other than the hardcore who would buy one of these at $599, considering you need to also have a $400 video card (and a reasonably good PC). It is priced only for the early adopters who are willing to stick with this for what will likely be a thin year+ of VR titles.

My guess is Sony charges $399 for the headset, and the camera doesn't come in the box. So an additional $59 if you don't have one already. PS4 users will already have controllers. Move controllers will also be sold separately.

I would not be surprised if EVE Valkyrie was also included free with PSVR, as well as Driveclub VR.

Plum

So is the tool only looking for free USB slots? If so then it saying "you don't have the USB slots for it" is acceptable, I only have one free USB 2.0 slot right now.

Reallink

Originally Posted by Greenpaint

Early sales are exceeding expectations?

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/sta...78563862544385

Not surprising there are early adopters for everything.

Actually, it's a zero $ down preorder, 4 months away, for a product demonstrated to sell at triple or higher value after market. There were money maker flipper threads on deal forums as soon as they advertised the preorder date. There is demand, but preorders really say nothing of it. There are only so many recommended PC's out there, or people who will be willing to buy one when it really comes down to it.

Piggus

Relax and use common sense. Your CPU is fine.

Dr.Acula

Banned

You'll be fine. You might not be able to play some games at max settings, but not every game is going to be as demanding as Elite, and you'll be able to do all the other VR experiences like watch 3D movies, etc. It's not like the thing will explode if you hook it up.

Oyume

Neo Member

The 699€ should include the VAT and Oculus' logistic should handle the custom declaration and VAT payment. It was the same with the DK1 and DK2 for me. Never had to pay VAT extra.

4Rf03aB.jpg

He could work around it by letting places like Amazon and big box stores with local warehouses sell through to the consumer. Though, you're still paying the tax so it doesn't really make a difference either way. That would mean Oculus would have to ship to these places. Instead they are making the consumer pay the shipping cost.

kirby_fox

Banned
Oof. That's expensive hardware.

I'll go ahead and change my initial expectations to "trying to take the market of VR with low price point" over to "trying to keep themselves afloat at this point."

And PSVR will definitely be just under PS4 pricing if not the same price as the system. Vive may cost even more than this...glad I wasn't invested in this at all- because I don't have the cash flow for something along these lines.

Top Bottom