• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Weevilone

I'd have been in at $400 without the Xbox stuff, no question. At $500 I would have probably thought about it a bit, then ordered.

I'll pass at $600 with a forced buy of stuff I already own.

So it seems less than 1% of computer out there are oculus ready, amounting to roughly 13 milion devices, way lower than the 40 million PSVR will have at launch.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35220974

This is Sony's game to win.

Yeah, but there aren't 40 million interested users of VR on PS4. I'd suspect that a larger percentage of those 13M compatible PC users are interested in the product than a subset of the PS4 user base willing to more than double the price of their console.

harSon

Banned
I'd like a version for $50 cheaper WITHOUT an xbox one controller, considering I have 4 of them as is.

I know it's a logistical nightmare, but it would have been nice to have a barebones unit with just the headset, mic and remote - minus the controller and earphones.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Why haven't any impressions reflected this?

People have been just as blown away by recent hands-on impressions of PSVR compared to how excited they have been after using the latest Oculus headsets.
The things that matter, the latency and feelings of 'presence', are all there. The image fidelity is not what's going to make or break a VR experience.

The "oh shit this is VR and it's awesome" feeling early on is absolutely there with all the main players. However, as someone who's had a DK1 since launch and a DK2 since launch and who has used everything else available since, that feeling alone doesn't keep the headset on you. Don't get me wrong, PSVR is a lot of fun and totally worthwhile and Sony looks like it's backing it solidly with software development too, and I could see myself playing through games on it, no question. It's obviously a more budget minded solution, and the capabilities reflect that, but it's still cool and will be worth buying. The cost of entry for people who don't already have high end gaming PCs but have a PS4 will be hilariously, astronomically different. By all means, get a PSVR instead.

But, after the "OMG THIS IS VR" fades to the background, as it has for me a long time since, I can barely be assed to even put a Samsung Gear VR on my head. The only thing I'm still actually craving is more time on the consumer Rift with high fidelity gaming experiences. I want to plug it into Assetto Corsa and grind on the Nurburgring and feel what I've felt in real life there in ways that are impossible on my 80" tv. I want more experiences like Edge of Nowhere. The Rift captivates on a different level.

Steel

Banned
So is the tool only looking for free USB slots? If so then it saying "you don't have the USB slots for it" is acceptable, I only have one free USB 2.0 slot right now.

I have 3 free USB 3.0 ports and 4 free 2.0 ports, 5 3.0 ports used. Still says incompatible.

ISee

Conflicting messages. So the Euro price doesn't include import taxes after all?
4Rf03aB.jpg

Very stupid way to answer. Doesn't paint a sympathic picture.

BlizzKrut

Banned
That really isn't as clever as you think, and just confirms you have no clue about emergent technology.

They're not trying to sell millions of these at launch.

I never said they were did I? If you don't cater to people when your product launches, even if it's expensive, people will eventually lose interest if it takes too much to be accessible to even the less casual.

How did anyone actually think it was going to cheaper than $499? That was the absolute floor. $599 being the most realistic. Can anyone explain? From everything I read leading up this what I expected.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
He's right though. Why should Oculus take a major hit to make up for a country's high import tax rate?

They raise the price from 599$ to 750$ for EU customers because they, as the guy tweeted previously , included import tax. That means they'll ship from within the EU. All fine, thats how it works - everybody is fine with that.

This tweed suggests that may not be the case (?) So why bumb the price for EU customers if import tax is not included?

Thats all a bit strange.

Hale-XF11

Not exactly a shining beacon of customer service.

Guy should stay off of Twitter. He's going to get torn to shreds over that comment.

Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is snark, but yeah, he should definitely not be setting that kind of precedent for customer service.

Literally 100%.
Ok, I don't follow PC or VR news but I'd appreciate an explanation.
Luckey says the full oculus set is $1500, I suppose around $800 on PC, $500 on the googles and $100 on stuff .
A PS4 is $400 hardware, so I suppose the VR googles' cost should somehow fill that $1100 gap, unless its a more limited experience.

ConceptX

Conflicting messages. So the Euro price doesn't include import taxes after all?
4Rf03aB.jpg

I mean they could have distribution in Europe for one and then EU countries would avoid customs taxes.

I get why they haven't, but I'm just saying it's not like there isn't multiple solutions.

Either way that wasn't the best tweet to write.

TaterTots

Banned
I was expecting between $400-$500 for the Rift. Off by $100. My prediction for PSVR is $300-$400. Lets hope I'm not off by $100 again lol.

Honestly, the price isn't that terrible considering its new. Anyone remember the price of blu ray players when they released?

Kyzer

Banned
Makes sense to me, this isnt going to be mainstream capable for a few years anyways, its a pretty high end product

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Luckey says the full oculus set is $1500, I suppose around $800 on PC, $500 on the googles and $100 on stuff .
A PS4 is $400 hardware, so I suppose the VR googles' cost should somehow fill that $1100 gap, unless its a more limited experience.
PS VR is more limited.

Hoo-doo

Banned
EviLore seems to disagree.

Meaning? Are you acting like EviLore is some kind of authority on VR?
There's plenty of impressions of PSVR out there. Nearly all of them extremely positive. That's all i'm saying.

(Please don't ban me for not immediately siding with everything you say, oh merciful king-god of NeoGAF)

Edit: I read you post, EviLore. Thanks!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I have to laugh at all the people with hurt feelings about the CEOs comments. He earned extra points with me.

He is just being blunt. The country charges a shitload to import so of course it will be more expensive. He isn't obligated to pay for a portion of your device to make you feel comfortable.

Being blunt is a good thing. It lets us discuss root issues like adults.

Shin-Ra

I just don't expect Sony VR to be worth much given how poor the PS4's hardware is. Magic interpolation can only go so far.

Can I sell my DK2 for 1000 dollars? I'll do that happily, lol.
Didn't Sony selling the PS3 at a loss make the game division hemorrhage money for years? Why would they do that again?
It's very much a no brainer to not have high hopes for VR on the platform that can barely run it's own exclusives at 30 FPS.
You don't seem to be coping with this news very well.

Steel

Banned
A PS4 is $400 hardware, so I suppose the VR googles cost should somehow fill that $1100 gap, unless its a more limited experience.

It's a more limited experience. Lower res, lower quality materials, headphones sold separately.... etc.

Sky Saw

Banned
I want to plug it into Assetto Corsa and grind on the Nurburgring and feel what I've felt in real life there in ways that are impossible on my 80" tv. I want more experiences like Edge of Nowhere. The Rift captivates on a different level.

DUDE yes this is all I want it for, racing and flight sims!

I'm sure the PSVR will be great in its own right but It won't have the hardware behind it to give the experience I want. Can't wait to see what the HTC brings to the table.

Reallink

He could work around it by letting places like Amazon and big box stores with local warehouses sell through to the consumer. Though, you're still paying the tax so it doesn't really make a difference either way. That would mean Oculus would have to ship to these places. Instead they are making the consumer pay the shipping cost.

Retailers would have to have mark up and would still pay VAT on the bulk shipment anyways wouldn't they? That'd all be rolled into the price.

Given their past comments and designs on retail partners though, I'm guessing $599 is a pairity price that already includes retailer mark up. Best Buy's not going to stock and demo a $699 Rift when you can buy it from Oculus direct for $599. Same issue plagues Nexus devices, which have been unilaterally price hiked to attain some retail presence.

They raise the price from 599$ to 750$ for EU customers because they, as the guy tweeted, included import tax. That means they'll ship from within the EU. All fine, thats how it works.

This tweed suggests that may not be the case? So why bumb the price for EU customers if import tax is not included?

Thats all a bit strange.

The dev kits were also shipped from the US. People are forgetting that US prices are before tax. And people are forgetting that 3 years ago Oculus was a small tech startup. They shouldn't expect them to have a huge retail/logistics network.

Curious to think that PSVR could have a relatively cheap barebones package with headset and external box, no camera for the many people that have one already, no Moves as many people have them already and the DS4 is also VR ready.

If the tech is so inferior to the Rift (it isnt that far behind, offers compelling VR to all who have tried it) it could really come in well under the Rift cost. Rift has better screens, Rift has the camera as an essential, it also comes with a roughly $50 controller that's sort of useless to many... Why couldn't PSVR be under $400?

Sony also have better manufacturing resources at their disposal, they also have far more certainty in making money from software as it is their own closed system. Oculus will sell some headsets and never make a penny from those users again, not so with PSVR.

The ball is in Sony's court.

No chance PSVR comes in at under 400 with that external processing box. I'll eat my hat.

marmoka

Banned
I'm not very surprised, I expected them to be expensive, about 500-600 in Europe, not 700, but anyway.

I would like to know the cost of Valve's and Sony's glasses. They will probably be cheaper, but still expensive as well.

Top Bottom