• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

TN should actually be cheaper than IPS. And for OLED it can IMHO really only be a controller issue, since those should switch within less than a millisecond. But I'm not an expert on panels or driving them either.

The reason I believe that it's purely a controller issue is that there was this very cheap Korean 1440p IPS monitor that could be driven at 120Hz when you have a specific revision of the controller board. I very much doubt that they specifically built the panel for that.

And 120 Hz in everything being held back just because manufacturers want to save a few dollars on controllers is just the kind of sad state of affairs I expect from the corporate world in general :p

Durante, the marxist hacker :D

1-D_FTW

He updated his blog a couple days ago. Seems like they're getting close to finalizing the developer model.

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/inside-oculus/

Early 3D model of it:

3d_model.png

And this bonus tidbit (although many probably already know this):

We had the legendary Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander, by the office to swap tech demos. He showed us a stunning demo for his upcoming game, Star Citizen, which is slated to be Oculus-ready with incredibly intense space dog-fighting. If you haven’t heard about Star Citizen yet, be sure to check out their Kickstarter here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

Sa-weet.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
He updated his blog a couple days ago. Seems like they're getting close to finalizing the developer model.

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/inside-oculus/

Early 3D model of it:

3d_model.png

And this bonus tidbit (although many probably already know this):

We had the legendary Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander, by the office to swap tech demos. He showed us a stunning demo for his upcoming game, Star Citizen, which is slated to be Oculus-ready with incredibly intense space dog-fighting. If you haven’t heard about Star Citizen yet, be sure to check out their Kickstarter here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

Sa-weet.

I've been thinking lately that stuff like Rift would be very suited for "cockpit" based games such as flight / space sim. Add a motion controlled virtual hand to operate a cockpit a la Metroid Prime intro plus depth perception and you can see how awesome it would be.

simonski

Does the Rift just take a side by side image? Folks on the 3D Vision forums have been pestering nVidia for years to add SBS support, perhaps it'll actually happen now (they've put checkerboard 3D into the latest beta drivers - a good sign I think).

Doesn't Crysis 2 have built in SBS support (yeah I know Crysis 2 isn't proper proper 3D, but it's not bad)? That'll already be Rift ready.

leca

~30 days away from seeing the dev kit get shipped out. I'm going to be keeping my eye on this topic daily for updates, can't wait to get my hands on the kit! :D

Did anyone order a DIY kit and get it in November? How did you go with it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
~30 days away from seeing the dev kit get shipped out. I'm going to be keeping my eye on this topic daily for updates, can't wait to get my hands on the kit! :D

Did anyone order a DIY kit and get it in November? How did you go with it?

Where did you get 30 days from? If its late December it'll probably slip into jan. I'm a bit dubious on the timing considering the most recent news on their site was showing mock ups of the dev unit. I'd have expected initial finished housings by now.

leca

Where did you get 30 days from? If its late December it'll probably slip into jan. I'm a bit dubious on the timing considering the most recent news on their site was showing mock ups of the dev unit. I'd have expected initial finished housings by now.

Was basing this from the information on the Kickstarter page, and Nov 2012 for the unassembled kit :).

There has been nothing said by the Oculus team to indicate that this release has changed or will not be met. So I'm pretty much making an assumption here that their silence is a good thing and it's all on track for December 2012.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Can it be late next year yet? I want the final consumer version in MA' LIFE. How hard will it be for developers to retrofit already finished and released games to the Rift? I'm 100% sure this conversation has already taken place but not sure if it was in this thread.

Zaptruder

Banned
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/when-it-comes-to-resolution-its-all-relative/

Abrash with a good article on the importance of resolution with VR (since the FOV is so large). Even a 1080P panel is going to be blocky. The preferred resolution would be 4k X 4k and the dream resolution would be 8k X 8k.

Without reading the article, wouldn't a square resolution be... counterproductive?

I mean, even if you assume each eye is squarish in its aspect ratio, we have two eyes, so you'd want to double the horizontal resolution at the very least for optimum.

Unless you are talking about for a single eye.

But the tech works by taking a single panel and splitting it into two viewing areas.

just got an email saying they expect to ship the dev kits in March, confirming what I think many of us had already figured out.

Personally? I am alright with this, and more alright with my decision not to wait for my free copy of Doom 3.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nice nice.

The upside to the delay is that the rift developer unit will be upgraded in some significant ways from the kickstarter specs.

Including larger panel size - which should mean (but I can't 100% confirm it) a larger field of view (probably from 90 degree to 120 degree, going off my back of the napkin estimates), faster refresh rates (no ghosting/motion blurring), a better motion sensor with 9DOF... which should mean that even the developer's version will have full head tracking (rotation and translation) - which is a major major boon over the older 6DOF tracker.

Main downsides other than increased wait (less related to the upgrades, and more related to longer than expected sourcing and procurement times resulting in redesigns)... are heavier weight (30 grams more), and lower pixel density (stretching more pixels across a larger FOV).

But I think those are all pretty nice trade offs... and should help make the transition from developers version to consumer's version much smoother in the end.

side_shot2_png.png

top1.png

lenses1_png.png

control_box2_png.png

http://vimeo.com/54429925

LordCanti

Christmas is ruined ;_;

I pledged on the last day of the kickstarter, so I'm almost certainly going to be getting one in April. I'm close to just asking for a refund and waiting for them to be available for sale. It's not as if that factory in China is going to make thousands of them and then just completely abandon production. Who knows if they'd even give me a refund though, or how many additional months of waiting that would mean. The people that ordered the November DIY kit definitely deserve refunds.

I was pretty sure this delay was going to happen when I pledged. I don't know if it was here or at MTBS3D, but I expressed concerns that they wouldn't have the time to pull it off, and it's obvious that I was right. (Edit: It was here, on page 4 lol)

Oh well... we've waited years for decent VR; I guess we can wait a few more months.

I like the breathable black mesh on the eye piece. It seems like that will let air in without also letting in light. I also like that there will be a strap going over top of the head. Hopefully the knob on the side is for diopter adjustment.

The more I look at it though, the more I hate the aesthetics. Look at the render on Kickstarter (curved, pretty sleek, etc) and then look at this big chunky thing. I'm also worried about how stretched the pixels are going to be at that resolution and size.

1-D_FTW

Without reading the article, wouldn't a square resolution be... counterproductive?

I mean, even if you assume each eye is squarish in its aspect ratio, we have two eyes, so you'd want to double the horizontal resolution at the very least for optimum.

Unless you are talking about for a single eye.

But the tech works by taking a single panel and splitting it into two viewing areas.

Not sure. It's what he lists. It's an interesting article. He's just talking about "pixels per degree". And based on an FOV of 90 degrees in both directions, this is what it would take for X pixels per degree. It's more of a mathematical thing, probably, than a practical thing.

leca

Well I guess I got my answer this morning. Figured it would be delayed after hearing so little for the past few months.

More then happy to wait! The latest update and prototype pics is awesome :)

Mine shows as August 5th and ready. I really find it hard to believe I'll have one this month, but not based on anything logical. Just, really? I'll be playing VR Doom 3 in less than four weeks? That can't be real.

E-Cat

Just a heads-up: a panel at SXSW featuring Paul Bettner, Chris Roberts, Cliff Bleszinski, and Palmer Luckey will be streamed live @ustream in a moment (12:00pm GMT).

"Ready - Your order is ready! We'll notify you as soon as it's shipped."

O M G

I'm beyond hype to get this thing strapped onto my noggin.

tumblr_inline_mi9sm7Svmn1qz4rgp.gif

so we aren't getting Doom 3. I haven't checked out much on Hawken, so I guess I'll look in that direction, but hopefully we'll get a decent community here on GAF providing instructions on how to use the Unreal Engine SDK and the Unity Engine SDK (with the rift SDK) to get some good experiences going.

I'm taking the $20 steam credit, personally.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I just came across videos explaining this thing, for some reason I always thought it was a glove that acted as a mouse for some reason. This thing looks incredible, I really hope it catches on big time.

Top Bottom