• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

JackDT

The Mage's Tale is super great!

Lots of humor, fun physical interactions, and it seems like it's a full length game too. Closest thing to a real RPG in VR so far I think.

Effect

Not sure if Elite Dangerous equates to that. I would try Superhot, Robo Recall, Chronos, The Lab, or Onward if you want a game that feels like "from the ground up" in VR. There's more, those are just off the top of my head. Elite Dangerous is still good in VR, but the bright on black contrast gives you a lot of lense glare or whatever it's called. The planets and stars still look incredible, as well as your cockpit.

Yeah I heard a lot of good things about ED in VR. I just tried the demo for Echo Arena I think it is. That was pretty fun going through the tutorial. My issues with heights is coming into play with that a little. Similar to the demo during the setup that had you standing on top of the building. That was a little unsettling.

The Touch controllers are kinda eh at the moment. Sometimes the motions and grips work and other times they don't seem to want to. Kinda wish I had some gloves to be honest and controls were mapped to that. That way when I grip, point, throw, etc it's maybe being picked up better.

Yeah I heard a lot of good things about ED in VR. I just tried the demo for Echo Arena I think it is. That was pretty fun going through the tutorial. My issues with heights is coming into play with that a little. Similar to the demo during the setup that had you standing on top of the building. That was a little unsettling.

The Touch controllers are kinda eh at the moment. Sometimes the motions and grips work and other times they don't seem to want to. Kinda wish I had some gloves to be honest and controls were mapped to that. That way when I grip, point, throw, etc it's maybe being picked up better.

Something isn't right then, because I have had 0 problems so far with my movements being picked up by the touch controllers (unless I'm facing totally backwards, because I don't have a 360 setup yet). Maybe try running through the sensor setup again.

I almost broke a finger playing echo arena today. I really need more space. Great freaking game though.

I was playing without the straps around my wrists and slipped and threw a controller into the wall yesterday. Hit about 7 feet up and fell to the floor. Now I make sure to always have the straps on.

Really? They've worked great for me for months. Maybe it takes some getting used to...I know echo arena does at least. Took me a few hours to get a handle on the controls. Throwing still feels a little off though. I don't know if you can still find a match, but Ripcoil has disc throwing too and that feels great.

I was playing without the straps around my wrists and slipped and threw a controller into the wall yesterday. Hit about 7 feet up and fell to the floor. Now I make sure to always have the straps on.

Good thing they're really sturdy controllers! I've whacked the wall multiple times, controllers are barely scuffed up at all. My wall has a few little dents in it though.

charpunk

The Mage's Tale is super great!

Lots of humor, fun physical interactions, and it seems like it's a full length game too. Closest thing to a real RPG in VR so far I think.

I'm really enjoying it as well, though I wish there were more than 4 spells. Granted you can modify them, but they don't make a huge difference.

Hexer06

Anyone know how long those Summer Bundles are gonna last? I don't get my rift for a while, but I wanna try the free games (Robo recall, etc) out first before I go buying stuff. Looking at the Summer Adventure bundle, but I'm pretty sure The Climb will make me feel sick. Raw Data might be a bit too fast paced, but I've never gotten to play a VR game that lets you teleport yet. I've only played some GearVR games and none of them that I have let you teleport yourself around. Anyone know any GearVR games that let you do it? I do want the Sports Bar VR and I Expect You to Die though.

Edit: Nvm, I've been super blind. It says 14 days left on the site. lol

Effect

Think I got the controllers to work better now. Not sure what the issue was before but spending more time did help. Still not the greatest I think.

Robo Recall is pretty fun. Interesting concept for a light gun game. Was wondering how movement would be and I see it has a teleporting mechanic. Which makes sense. This is a game where the lack of wires attached to the headset would be a gamer changer for it I think. I had to remind myself to slow down or else trip and break something. Full 360 degree movement is indeed the way to go. Sadly Elite Dangerous was still to fuzzy for me in the way Project Cars was no matter what I did to the settings. Going to give it another shot tomorrow though. By contrast Robo Recall, the demo you get with the Touch controllers (with the robot) both look pretty nice. It looked good, clean, and sharp. Its also a lot more simple in it's setup as well so maybe that's part of it but the robots looked really nice as did the weapons. So did all the other tutorials and the Echo Arena beta I mentioned before. I wanted to see the difference between VR games and those with VR support. I was hoping the full VR games would be the better of the two and that seems to be the case thankfully.

Need to do some thinking though about the entire experience this evening/night. Give it another go tomorrow as well and then decide if I'll stick with this. Had a good number of positives tonight but also some negatives and I have to see how they balance out in regard to cost and how often I'm realistically going to use this. I was hoping I'd get a lot of use out of games I have that were VR supported or would be but that's down the drain at the moment and that changes things a lot.

Got my Touch now after having my Oculus for over 1 year and its a gamechanger.

It totally sucks though you need a 3rd sensor for Roomscale games. Every time I turn around or even try to get something from the ground, where the sensors dont reach (since both are on my desk) it loses the connection.
I also wouldnt know where to put a 3rd sensor without having a cable running straight throug my room.

LOLCats

Banned
Ive been messing with this thing for hours. Lucky tale is cool. Google earth gabe me chills in sao paulo! I was like right on the cliff!

I almost broke a finger playing echo arena today. I really need more space. Great freaking game though.

You should try cleaning up your oculus guardian with this tool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/

I was able to fine tune my guardian a little better with this than I was by just free outlining it with the touch controller so I have a better sense of space past the guardian to the wall. I also put a little zig zag on the wall that faces north so I know which way im oriented in the room.

Imur

I can't decide if Lone Echo is worth the Preorder. Usually I don't preorder without reviews, but the Discount ist nice and I love Echo Arena. Is anything known about the Playtime yet?

Bookoo

I can't decide if Lone Echo is worth the Preorder. Usually I don't preorder without reviews, but the Discount ist nice and I love Echo Arena. Is anything known about the Playtime yet?

It's only $5 bucks, but after seeing the quality of Echo arena I decided to pre-order Lone Echo.

I would have likely bought it regardless of reviews unless they are completely abysmal, which seems unlikely.

Izuna

Banned
rgYF8Bq.jpg

So the ties have the NeoGAF logo on them.

low-G

Think I got the controllers to work better now. Not sure what the issue was before but spending more time did help. Still not the greatest I think.

Robo Recall is pretty fun. Interesting concept for a light gun game. Was wondering how movement would be and I see it has a teleporting mechanic. Which makes sense. This is a game where the lack of wires attached to the headset would be a gamer changer for it I think. I had to remind myself to slow down or else trip and break something. Full 360 degree movement is indeed the way to go. Sadly Elite Dangerous was still to fuzzy for me in the way Project Cars was no matter what I did to the settings.

[...]

I wouldn't call Robo Recall 'light gun', that's like 1 of 30 mechanics in the game. That's like calling Civ VI a clicker.

Can you turn up the pixel density / super sampling in those games? Project Cars should look quite nice at very high settings.

"Can you turn up the pixel density / super sampling in those games? Project Cars should look quite nice at very high settings."

Project Cars doesn't run particularly well in VR and its anti-aliasing method doesn't play well with VR in the slightest.

low-G

"Can you turn up the pixel density / super sampling in those games? Project Cars should look quite nice at very high settings."

Project Cars doesn't run particularly well in VR and its anti-aliasing method doesn't play well with VR in the slightest.

Choppy no matter what, but on my 1070 I can make it look better than 1:1 pixel density, where it is aliasing city.

"Choppy no matter what, but on my 1070 I can make it look better than 1:1 pixel density, where it is aliasing city."

You need at least a little bit of AA with PCars, even with supersampling, to make it look clearer, but even DS2X shits on your framerate.

VR makes you appreciate the relatively ancient engines in iRacing and Assetto Corsa. The image quality you get from a ton of supersampling with 4x MSAA thrown on top is so nice.

wonderpug

Neo Member
An Xbox controller is also just nice to have for PC gaming in general. More and more games these days have native support for it or even have it as the primary recommended input device.

There are some gamepad only vr games such as Luckey's Tale, Chronos, Edge of Nowhere.

I just checked and Lucky's Tale and Edge of Nowhere patched in support to use Touch controllers as a gamepad. You want to look for "Supports Touch (as Gamepad)" on the game listing.

Imur

There are some gamepad only vr games such as Luckey's Tale, Chronos, Edge of Nowhere.

I don't know about the other ones but you can definitively play Luckys Tale with the Motion Controller. Without motion, of course.

Edit: Too late for the edit above.

Lakuza

What's everyones preffered storage for the headset?

For now I'll be just placing it back in the original box but would like a better solution in the near future.

c00l3ru

Ok guys. I think Lone Echo is vr's first killer app. I've played about an hour and the level of emersion and presence is second to none.
I am blown away.

A 3rd sensor really is necessary, isnt it? Played a bit around in Rec Room and my wife played Robo Recall and everytime you turn around (which you dont even notice), it loses the connection to the Touch controllers.

2 Sensors dont seem enough, especially when they are on a desk. If I try to get things from the (virtual) floor, it often stops like 30cm above the floor, since thats where the sensors reach.

low-G

A 3rd sensor really is necessary, isnt it? Played a bit around in Rec Room and my wife played Robo Recall and everytime you turn around (which you dont even notice), it loses the connection to the Touch controllers.

2 Sensors dont seem enough, especially when they are on a desk. If I try to get things from the (virtual) floor, it often stops like 30cm above the floor, since thats where the sensors reach.

Depends on positioning. If the 2 sensors are opposite each other, and placed high enough, it'll be good 95% of the time, but that depends on the game a bit too.

So, can you try putting one of the sensors opposite of the first and behind you? (that's where you'd put a 3rd sensor, anyways)

Depends on positioning. If the 2 sensors are opposite each other, and placed high enough, it'll be good 95% of the time, but that depends on the game a bit too.

So, can you try putting one of the sensors opposite of the first and behind you? (that's where you'd put a 3rd sensor, anyways)

I could try that, but around 1,5m behind me is a big cupboard. The cable wouldnt be long enough to put it on top of it.

I could try that, but around 1,5m behind me is a big cupboard. The cable wouldnt be long enough to put it on top of it.

I just set up the "experimental" 2 sensor 360 configuration in my office, and it is working great. I'm even using a USB2.0 extender cable on one of the cameras, which I'm not supposed to do, and I've experienced no problems at all. Tracking like a dream.

samoset

Echo Arena is really impressive, I have not played a game that has such natural movement. Moving around in zero g with your hands and boosters is just intuitively fun. I spent a good hour in just the lobby alone moving around. It is too bad the people playing the game are real jerks about skill level though. I mean the game just came out officially today, what do they expect? Makes me really not want to play more, which is a shame. I kinda wish that headsets did not all have mics in them for this reason.

Izuna

Banned
Instead of buying another mount (because I'm broke). I have suspended a sensor by two wire holders (adhesive). The sensor is REALLY light without the stand so it actually works. :D

The Dude

Totally in love with my new oculus.. Just need to echo in here what I said in the other rift thread but I absolutely love chronos and how we can have classic gaming in VR as well, adds such an immersion factor to it all. I hope we continue to get a nice mix of both touch games and more classic games to just chill and game like chronos.

terrible

Banned
Watching people you know try VR for the first time is almost as fun as playing VR. I had a fun night just letting people mess around with everything.

I have overdone it myself though, real life almost feels like VR right now. When I see walls or my couch I want to grab them to pull myself forward. Lol I even looked at my hand and gave a thumbs up in real life. Help.

CodeNfX

Just setup the whole thing, only tried First Contact and that was pretty cool!

Is there a way to turn off the headset if I just want to use the computer and play regular games? Or should I just leave it plugged in?

Will it damage the headset if I unplug and plug it while the computer is on?

The Dude

Just setup the whole thing, only tried First Contact and that was pretty cool!

Is there a way to turn off the headset if I just want to use the computer and play regular games? Or should I just leave it plugged in?

Will it damage the headset if I unplug and plug it while the computer is on?

Get the oculus tray tool, you can turn it on and off with that and increase the supersampling as well

Just got mine yesterday. 30 minutes in Robo Recall was like a revelation for me. Suddenly the promise and the appeal of VR all made sense, and now I can't wait to see where this technology goes.

It's got to be tough to explain to somebody who has never done VR before. Because by all accounts Robo Recall looks pretty dull if you're just watching footage.

Tain

Totally in love with my new oculus.. Just need to echo in here what I said in the other rift thread but I absolutely love chronos and how we can have classic gaming in VR as well, adds such an immersion factor to it all. I hope we continue to get a nice mix of both touch games and more classic games to just chill and game like chronos.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Chronos!

Top Bottom