• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift "KILLER" 3DHead to appear at CES

Krejlooc

Banned
This is basically antvr. These things are essentially scams. Those videos are pretty much false advertising. This isn't to say only Oculus can makes compelling vr - stuff like the dive actually works even if it's nowhere as good as the rift - but this isn't vr at all. This is more like the sony hmv headsets with your controller awkwardly mapped to imus inside the headset. This may not make sense to those who haven't experience playing with motion controls, but you know the default glovepie mouse scripts? The ones that lets you control the mouse with your wiimote, only it doesn't work with the camera using pointer controls like you'd expect but rather you tilt the wii mote to accelerate in x and y? And how completely wrong that feels?

This and antvr is like that.

Compsiox

Banned
This is basically antvr. These things are essentially scams. Those videos are pretty much false advertising. This isn't to say only Oculus can makes compelling vr - stuff like the dive actually works even if it's nowhere as good as the rift - but this isn't vr at all. This is more like the sony hmv headsets with your controller awkwardly mapped to imus inside the headset. This may not make sense to those who haven't experience playing with motion controls, but you know the default glovepie mouse scripts? The ones that lets you control the mouse with your wiimote, only it doesn't work with the camera using pointer controls like you'd expect but rather you tilt the wii mote to accelerate in x and y? And how completely wrong that feels?

This and antvr is like that.

Do you mean anti-vr?

rjinaz

I really home the Occ and Sony's thing don't cost this much.

Nah, expect $299-$399 at most. Well that doesn't include a VR controller mind you, if it's even needed outside of a regular gaming controller which the PS4 would obviously already have. Either way, no controller released by either is going to cost $500.

youtube recommends I watch this next lol

xFwIovE.png

Krejlooc

Banned
Cause the billionaire who made it is trolling Oculus

3DHead isn't as infuriating because everybody seems to be ignoring it. AntVR made my blood boil because dumbass outlets like Kotaku and Polygon covered the thing and showered it with praise, demonstrating remarkable ignorance about VR in general in the process.

AntVR (and 3DHead) is the so-called "bad VR" that so many worry about poisoning the well.

Compsiox

Banned
3DHead isn't as infuriating because everybody seems to be ignoring it. AntVR made my blood boil because dumbass outlets like Kotaku and Polygon covered the thing and showered it with praise.

link to kotaku article?
I hate them already this will be icing on the cake.

Krejlooc

Banned
link to kotaku article?
I hate them already this will be icing on the cake.

http://kotaku.com/tag/antvr

absolutely no critical analysis of their "promises." A rudimentary understanding of what VR is would give one enough insight to know that their promises were snake oil. After Kotaku and a bunch of sites like that ran stories on AntVR, their kickstarter exploded and they got funded.

Haha, what?

Forget the headset size, what the hell is up with the controller? Somebody ripped the steering wheel off a go-kart and added sticks and buttons.

Compsiox

Banned
http://kotaku.com/tag/antvr

absolutely no critical analysis of their "promises." A rudimentary understanding of what VR is would give one enough insight to know that their promises were snake oil. After Kotaku and a bunch of sites like that ran stories on AntVR, their kickstarter exploded and they got funded.

I would agree with you if a man didn't put his name to the device. It's not just something random that is being made in mystery.

Krejlooc

Banned

Compsiox

Banned
AntVR shipped a few weeks ago. The first units are in people's hands already. They outright don't work as advertised, they are exactly what those familiar with VR assumed they'd be: garbage.

EDIT: popcorn-ready impressions thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2r7dq3/antvr_kit_finally_shipping_to_backers/

Nevermind. That really sucks so bad.
A lot worse than 1st person though. It loses lots of immersion.

You obviously have not used a Rift. Goodbye.

Krejlooc

Banned

The thing that frustrated most is that AntVR actually explained in pretty good detail how their product worked. There was never any mystery about it, what they were describing had obvious flaws. The only thing contrary was that they ran a marketing slogan: "All-in-one VR" and would occasionally post pithy updates about how they were going to crush Oculus, and apparently those bits of PR speak are solely what outlets like Kotaku reported on. If they'd understood how VR worked and read the way AntVR was explaining it'd work, the problems would have been apparent. Instead, they basically gave a scummy product free advertising which let it pass kickstarter. They steered their own readers into a terrible product.

rjinaz

AntVR shipped a few weeks ago. The first units are in people's hands already. They outright don't work as advertised, they are exactly what those familiar with VR assumed they'd be: garbage.

EDIT: popcorn-ready impressions thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2r7dq3/antvr_kit_finally_shipping_to_backers/

Comments so far don't seem so bad, I think most that actually have one seem to like it so far going by their comments. Most of the more negative comments are from those that don't have one. Guess we'll see as more units arrive.

Krejlooc

Banned
Comments so far don't seem so bad, I think most that actually have one seem to like it so far going by their comments. Most of the more negative comments are from those that don't have one. Guess we'll see as more units arrive.

They've been deleting negative comments over the last day.

You also don't have to actually own the thing to understand how, for example, mapping both head tracking and gun tracking to the right stick on your controller is a terrible idea. When you point the gun down, your face will be looking at the floor.

Long story short: this isn't VR.

shandy706

It must be great!

Check that ad out..I mean even the 12 year old AND the people on the street curse at how awesome it is.

Krejlooc

Banned
It must be great!

Check that ad out..I mean even the 12 year old AND the people on the street curse at how awesome it is.

Speaking of awesome VR advertising, I saw someone describe the difference between what people see outside the rift, and what people see inside the rift like so:

9ktHsGP.jpg

I thought it was efficient and effective, and most importantly, pretty accurate. I hope, whenever they do begin advertising VR, this is the type of stuff they show.

Maedhros

You obviously have not used a Rift. Goodbye.

Every camera is first person. Every single one. 3rd person games like Hero Quest on gear VR, which is essentially Zelda in VR, still feel awesome.

It doesn't matter if I never used. VR is better for first person, I'm not saying it's impossible to have it with a third person game. Just that what attracts most people to VR is "being inside the game", which isn't the case in third party games. Kinda like Log Horizon or SAO, I think that's what most want with VR. Not being a camera in 3rd person games.

I feel like I see this the same way a lot of people here see the Rift, and that's sad. At least I haven't seen anyone on NeoGAF compare the Rift to the virtua boy lately.

Compsiox

Banned
It doesn't matter if I never used. VR is better for first person, I'm not saying it's impossible to have it with a third person game. Just that what attracts most people to VR is "being inside the game", which isn't the case in third party games. Kinda like Log Horizon or SAO, I think that's what most want with VR. Not being a camera in 3rd person games.

It most certainly does.

DJMicLuv

Get it out before Rift and they might get a few rich kids to force their parents to buy it for them....they're fucked aren't they?

Crzy1

Trying to figure out who this is marketed at. Doubt many people are going to drop a cool grand to get a toy for their kid and any adult that watches their promos are probably just going to laugh.

The Cowboy

That is by far one of the least convincing videos on a product I've ever seen, if it didn't have a booth I'd think it was a piss take simply to poke fun at Oculus etc.

Krejlooc

Banned
Trying to figure out who this is marketed at. Doubt many people are going to drop a cool grand to get a toy for their kid and any adult that watches their promos are probably just going to laugh.

people with lots and lots of money who are tech fetishists and are tech savvy enough to know that VR "is coming" but aren't savvy enough to know what VR actually is, and thus who will buy the first product actually released regardless of whether or not it works.

A very uninformed yet connected niche market, in other words.

Top Bottom