• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift "KILLER" 3DHead to appear at CES

I just wanted to chime in and say that I'd never see this image before, and I was not prepared. I was boggled by the OP, and nearly suffocated laughing when I saw this. ;_; Thank you.

Regarding the...3D helmet thing itself, it does indeed look crazy bulky, and the advertising looks wacky. Why would anyone want to actually advertise as a [whatever] killer? That sort of seems like trying too hard.

I imagine Oculus is also working on VR-capable control methods, but I am not sure that an expensive steering wheel/pad/tablet thing is the answer.

They can't advertise it as a VR headset, because it's not. They throw the word Oculus around everywhere to give the illusion of it being a VR headset while not actually making the claim that it is. Alki David is a weird dude who wastes his inherited money on stupid shit. I read some speculation awhile back that the only reason he built this thing was because he has something against Zuckerberg. For all we know, they're showing this off at CES next to the Oculus booth without any intent to ever actually sell the thing to anyone. The guy is crazy, basically.

Krejlooc

Banned
They can't advertise it as a VR headset, because it's not. They throw the word Oculus around everywhere to give the illusion of it being a VR headset while not actually making the claim that it is. Alki David is a weird dude who wastes his inherited money on stupid shit. I read some speculation awhile back that the only reason he built this thing was because he has something against Zuckerberg. For all we know, they're showing this off at CES next to the Oculus booth without any intent to ever actually sell the thing to anyone. The guy is crazy, basically.

That's awesome if this is directly next to the Oculus booth. What better way to demonstrate how real VR is immensely superior to the alternative than with a side-by-side blind taste test?

Compsiox

Banned
That's awesome if this is directly next to the Oculus booth. What better way to demonstrate how real VR is immensely superior to the alternative than with a side-by-side blind taste test?

I feel like im reading this thread 5 hours ago. 2 people said this same exact thing lol.

GET THIS!!!

With... GET THIS!

And those testimonials from random street people... that last couple weren't over acting at all.

$600.00 for just the headset is going to be a hard sell if the retail version Oculus is still hitting the $400.00 price range. The hardware better be impressive at that price. .

Compsiox

Banned
With... GET THIS!

And those testimonials from random street people... that last couple weren't over acting at all.

$600.00 for just the headset is going to be a hard sell if the retail version Oculus is still hitting the $400.00 price range. The hardware better be impressive at that price. .
The retail for oculus is 300 or less. Where fuck did you get 400?

RawNuts

fjagnd.gif
MDK cosplay?

Jedi2016

There is no price on Oculus. Anyone claiming to know "about" what it's going to be are talking about of their ass. The DK2 is $350, that's a known quantity, just stick with that.

antibolo

Banned
I bet it's exactly like those Sony HMD headsets that have existed for years now, ie. it's just a 1080p display in a headset, not proper VR. But of course those asshats are advertising it as an "Oculus killer" so they can fool people into thinking this is actually cutting edge new tech.

Mik2121

Speaking of awesome VR advertising, I saw someone describe the difference between what people see outside the rift, and what people see inside the rift like so:

9ktHsGP.jpg

I thought it was efficient and effective, and most importantly, pretty accurate. I hope, whenever they do begin advertising VR, this is the type of stuff they show.

As someone playing Elite Dangerous with the Oculus DK2, this is pretty much spot on.

Also, the stuff advertised in the OP is hilarious. If it's meant as a joke, that is...

Compsiox

Banned
I bet it's exactly like those Sony HMD headsets that have existed for years now, ie. it's just a 1080p display in a headset, not proper VR. But of course those asshats are advertising it as an "Oculus killer" so they can fool people into thinking this is actually cutting edge new tech.
Dat motion tracking dough.

PGamer

fucking juniors
If the consumer version costs more than any devkit that is a huge problem.

The consumer version will very likely have greater functionality (and obviously better specs) than the DK2. Oculus has gone on record in the past saying they want the consumer model to be in the $200-400 price range. It could end up being in the upper end of that depending on how the final costs play out.

Krejlooc

Banned
As someone playing Elite Dangerous with the Oculus DK2, this is pretty much spot on.

I like how the guy who made it played with the lighting on his face to make it match the scene.

it's the first representation of VR I've seen that I'd call really accurate.

Compsiox

Banned
The consumer version will very likely have greater functionality (and obviously better specs) than the DK2. Oculus has gone on record in the past saying they want the consumer model to be in the $200-400 price range. It could end up being in the upper end of that depending or how the final costs play out.
Facebook said they were willing to take a loss if it came to that. They will not sell a $400 oculus version 1. I promise.

Compsiox

Banned
I like how the guy who made it played with the lighting on his face to make it match the scene.

Its the first representation of VR I've seen that I'd call really accurate.
Ive been spending hours in the combat training. I have always been bad with plane/space combat. I'm happy with my progress. There is nothing like elite dangerous. It's pretty fucking amazing with the DK2.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ive been spending hours in the combat training. I have always been bad with plane/space combat. I'm happy with my progress. There is nothing like elite dangerous. It's pretty fucking amazing with the DK2.

Not yet, at least. Soon, we'll have Star Citizen and Eve Valkyrie. Eve Valkyrie is actually what got me to buy my DK1.

charsace

This looks like straight bullshit and hard to imagine it isn't with that bored, born rich piece shit involved in it.

So the David Alki behind this website / youtube video

created:
"BattleCam.com, a peer-to-peer video streaming website and community[12] whose offerings including Fight Night and other pay-per-view tournaments built around mixed martial arts, gaming and comedy.[12] David advertised for this venture by offering cash to the first person who streaks in a legal manner in front of US President Barack Obama,[8][13] and by hosting a faked assisted suicide.[14]"

and has beverlyhills3d.com and "68 other domains".

this is his head office:
bBA76yb.png

DJMicLuv

It could be huge
ly entertaining in the severity of it failure. I'm hoping for nGage levels of hilarity surrounding this product.

Krejlooc

Banned
It could be huge
ly entertaining in the severity of it failure. I'm hoping for nGage levels of hilarity surrounding this product.

ngage actually worked. It didn't work well, mind you, but it wasn't deceptive advertising. Thus type of stuff is honestly very close to flat-out false advertising. Their only saving grace is their avoidance of using the term "VR."

Compsiox

Banned
Not yet, at least. Soon, we'll have Star Citizen and Eve Valkyrie. Eve Valkyrie is actually what got me to buy my DK1.
I own Star Citizen but have no interest in playing until we can walk around on Earth. What do you think of it so far? When does the FPS element come out?

Alchemy

It could be huge

NGAGE had a real company behind it, and was actually an attempt at something. This won't be noticed by anyone.

What if it's real though? What if you actually CAN hook it up to a PS4 and all the games work with perfect head tracking and 3D? What if this strange child is actually on to something?

Atomski

Product Killer is always a great sign it will be good..

I bet the guys over at Oculus are laughing their asses off right now.

Top Bottom