• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Slightly Mad ever talk about offering existing Steam owners codes for the Oculus Home version?

Edit: Note for Canadians. Some people on Reddit are saying they haven't had to pay duty when receiving their Rifts. Last week I had heard the opposite. Not sure what is going on. Maybe Oculus changed their procedure for shipping in our favour?

That's cool but I'd rather get on Steam so it can be used in non VR, bought Subnautica on Oculus Home and sad I can't try it out on my monitor and if I sell my headset will never be able to play it. I think most of my purchases will be through Steam except for exclusives.

I can verify for you tonight if this can be played in 2D from Oculus home. Many games can. You just right click on them and they have an option something like 'Launch on Desktop'. Adr1ft and Ethan Carter for example both definitely allow this.

TheRed

I can verify for you tonight if this can be played in 2D from Oculus home. Many games can. You just right click on them and they have an option something like 'Launch on Desktop'. Adr1ft and Ethan Carter for example both definitely allow this.

Thanks! I didn't notice that last week when right clicking, but right now I do, I guess Subnautica just doesn't allow it yet I can see the option but it's greyed out, the only thing that has it clickable in my library is Elite:Dangerous. Thanks for letting me know, maybe I'll get more stuff from Home than I thought. I'll still get Project Cars on steam because I heard they split the multiplayer community which is stupid, I would rather be where more players are.

Edit: The option doesn't seem to work when I try for Elite still gives me the hardware error to enter VR. Does it work for you?

Alexlf

Did Slightly Mad ever talk about offering existing Steam owners codes for the Oculus Home version?

Edit: Note for Canadians. Some people on Reddit are saying they haven't had to pay duty when receiving their Rifts. Last week I had heard the opposite. Not sure what is going on. Maybe Oculus changed their procedure for shipping in our favour?

I missed my shipment twice thanks to Purolator and it's terrible delivery times, and when I went to pick it up in person they said Oculus had paid for the duty charges that morning. I was pretty stoked. That said, duty charges should only apply to kickstarter backers.

I missed my shipment twice thanks to Purolator and it's terrible delivery times, and when I went to pick it up in person they said Oculus had paid for the duty charges that morning. I was pretty stoked. That said, duty charges should only apply to kickstarter backers.

Purolator?

What happened to UPS?

Ah, sorry. I should explain. UPS has an agreement with Purolator in my town, and they transfer packages to them for delivery.

Ah, that sucks.

I don't like UPS but I prefer them over Purolator.

I am really worried that UPS will continue their trend of just knocking on my front door and leaving the package whilst they run away.

You would think they were leaving poop in a bag.

TheRed

I'm interested in if anybody has actually completed Chronos and if it is satisfying for $50, I really want to get it but all I've seen is first impressions.

LaneDS

I'm interested in if anybody has actually completed Chronos and if it is satisfying for $50, I really want to get it but all I've seen is first impressions.

Yeah that price is keeping me from trying it.

That and only having the DK2 still.

Wallach

I'll probably pick up Chronos whenever my Rift gets here, but I'm not holding my breath for mine to arrive until closer to the end of the month at this rate.

Alexlf

I'm about 14 hours in and I think about half done. Extremely satisfied so far.

Thanks! I didn't notice that last week when right clicking, but right now I do, I guess Subnautica just doesn't allow it yet I can see the option but it's greyed out, the only thing that has it clickable in my library is Elite:Dangerous. Thanks for letting me know, maybe I'll get more stuff from Home than I thought. I'll still get Project Cars on steam because I heard they split the multiplayer community which is stupid, I would rather be where more players are.

Edit: The option doesn't seem to work when I try for Elite still gives me the hardware error to enter VR. Does it work for you?
I don't have Elite. The option works for me in Adr1ft and in Ethan Carter.

Isn't Elite kind of weird in that you have to have turned on VR in the game even if you open it directly from inside Home?

Like I said I will verify if Project Cars works that way or not tonight.

Alexlf

Does it vary the gameplay at all later on? The early parts that I've seen don't look great.

It does. The puzzles are nice and varied, if a tiny bit easy, and there's a decent variety of weapons with different timings, damage and animations. Also, as you get further in your characters life the stat choices you've made really start to define a play style for your character, and the unknown upper limit of your age ticking closer with each death adds a nice sense of urgency that really rewards you when you manage to explore a whole bunch/make progress without dying. Really, it reminds me strongly of dark souls + great exploration and puzzles.

That sounds great length wise, I tend to take a long time completing games too, I thought it would be done in 12 hours.

I'm also a bit slow at games, and my guess at half way assumes that I have another dungeon after the next one (which would make sense story wise) but I can't say for sure. So really all I can safely say is that for most people it should be more than 14 hours long lol.

It does. The puzzles are nice and varied, if a tiny bit easy, and there's a decent variety of weapons with different timings, damage and animations. Also, as you get further in your characters life the stat choices you've made really start to define a play style for your character, and the unknown upper limit of your age ticking closer with each death adds a nice sense of urgency that really rewards you when you manage to explore a whole bunch/make progress without dying. Really, it reminds me strongly of dark souls + great exploration and puzzles.

I'm also a bit slow at games, and my guess at half way assumes that I have another dungeon after the next one (which would make sense story wise) but I can't say for sure. So really all I can safely say is that for most people it should be more than 14 hours long lol.

Thank you, I have been looking for these kinds of deep impressions.

pj

Banned

The president of the company that made it disagrees..

“Chronos isn’t just some cool VR demo, it’s a meaty game with a lot of depth and 12-14 hours of content,” Adams explains.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...pg-but-why-is-it-a-vr-exclusive/#7ae3711150a7

Tain

Anybody have any Fly to Kuma impressions? A Japan-polished 3D Lemmings clone sounds pretty solid to me but I haven't seen much talk about it.

Alexlf

Any general problems with using the headset for that long? No problem picking it back up the next day?

I've done 2 ~8 hour sessions in addition to many smaller ones and so far and the only problems I've encountered is a light red line round my eyes for a few minutes after using it long enough, and the camera sensor going wonky for a bit requiring me to replug it in (only happened once though).

EDIT: Oh, and it's a bit finicky on the sensor placement. I wanted to put it in the upper corner near my roof but it didn't like that.

TheRed

Me too, thought I would have plenty of time with the Rift before Dark Souls 3 but seems like they will come at the same time and overwhelm me.

Enordash

Me too, thought I would have plenty of time with the Rift before Dark Souls 3 but seems like they will come at the same time and overwhelm me.

I played DSII:SOTFS and Bloodborne back to back and got a little burnt out by the end of it. They are still some of my favorite games though so I can't complain. I am trying not to buy Chronos until I actually have the Rift at home as to control the anticipation. Maybe I'll buy it when I get my processing email as a celebration.

LaneDS

Anyone with CV1 try Virtual Desktop (I'm assuming it's out, maybe it's not!) for playing non-VR games yet? Curious how that is going to be. One of the few reasons that might get me to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 which I've been mulling over for a bit.

Oh, and thanks for those Chronos impressions Alex. Sounds like it'll be a good pickup, but I'll be waiting for a price drop with DSIII only days away (which is what I had in mind for Virtual Desktop actually).

Enordash

Anyone with CV1 try Virtual Desktop (I'm assuming it's out, maybe it's not!) for playing non-VR games yet? Curious how that is going to be. One of the few reasons that might get me to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 which I've been mulling over for a bit.

Oh, and thanks for those Chronos impressions Alex. Sounds like it'll be a good pickup, but I'll be waiting for a price drop with DSIII only days away (which is what I had in mind for Virtual Desktop actually).

If someone has Virtual Desktop and Rocket League, you should try that. I'm looking forward to this combination in the near future.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

You can do a lot of what Virtual Desktop offers via SteamVR directly apparently, both with the Vive and Rift.

I can't confirm this myself though, only from reports of colleagues of mine who have headsets.

LaneDS

You can do a lot of what Virtual Desktop offers via SteamVR directly apparently, both with the Vive and Rift.

I can't confirm this myself though, only from reports of colleagues of mine who have headsets.

Interesting, would love to hear more about that (and will mess with it via DK2 later when I have a chance).

Also, heck yeah to Rocket League. That's a good game where I don't think you'd lose much gameplay wise with the loss of clarity of playing it blown up.

TheRed

I'll be sure to try it out, I bought Virtual Desktop and have Dark Souls 3 coming. That could be a really cool experience. I have a +6 min 29 sec order so hopefully it gets to me before the 12th

Where the hell is this in the Dev tools in Chrome? I can't find it

"Filter by XHR (next to JS, CSS, etc)"

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. It's in the Network Tab, then I had to filter XHR.

Just had my eye exam but unfortunately with my astigmatism, they didn't have my contact prescription in stock. I have to go back when they get them and apparently go through a contact refresher course and be okayed by the doctor. That may take up to a week. What will happen first, my contacts come in or my order gets processed. It's a race. At least my glasses aren't large. I'm going with dailies because I won't be wearing contacts everyday, just for VR, so not having to keep track of usage will make my life easier.

LaneDS

Just had my eye exam but unfortunately with my astigmatism, they didn't have my contact prescription in stock. I have to go back when they get them and apparently go through a contact refresher course and be okayed by the doctor. That may take up to a week. What will happen first, my contacts come in or my order gets processed. It's a race. At least my glasses aren't large.

Betting it all on your contacts.

Enordash

I'll be sure to try it out, I bought Virtual Desktop and have Dark Souls 3 coming. That could be a really cool experience. I have a +6 min 29 sec order so hopefully it gets to me before the 12th

I'm planning on doing this as well if not too much is lost in the resolution. I'd be going from a 24" monitor to a however-big-I-want-it monitor. Could be super cool. I'm also in the 6 minute range.

Struct09

Just had my eye exam but unfortunately with my astigmatism, they didn't have my contact prescription in stock. I have to go back when they get them and apparently go through a contact refresher course and be okayed by the doctor. That may take up to a week. What will happen first, my contacts come in or my order gets processed. It's a race. At least my glasses aren't large. I'm going with dailies because I won't be wearing contacts everyday, just for VR, so not having to keep track of usage will make my life easier.

Are you near-sighted? If so, you may not need your contacts since the screen sits so close to your eyes.

viveks86

If you bought all the dlc, then yes. They plan to send out codes. No idea when. If you haven't got all the dlc, then you can play it on Steam now since it fully supports 1.3

Are you near-sighted? If so, you may not need your contacts since the screen sits so close to your eyes.

The way the optics work it's the other way around. Nearsighted people need their corrective lenses because the lens in the Rift will force your eyes to focus as if the image is in the distance. God I wish I didn't need the lenses for VR. My prescription is -3.5 in my right eye and -3.75 in my left eye, both with a minor astigmatism, so they are useless for focusing on anything beyond a few inches without corrective lenses.

Struct09

The way the optics work it's the other way around. Nearsighted people need their corrective lenses because the lens in the Rift will force your eyes to focus as if the image is in the distance. God I wish I didn't need the lenses for VR. My prescription is -3.5 in my right eye and -3.75 in my left eye, both with a minor astigmatism, so they are useless for focusing on anything beyond a few inches without corrective lenses.

Interesting, today I learned something. I'm near sighted and have an astigmatism in my right eye, I'm going to try my Rift at some point without my contacts in just so I can have my mind blown.

RealMeat

Banned
Anyone know if Airmech: Command is going to be released on Steam, or if it'll work with the existing Airmech game? I don't want end up in a situation like I did with Project Cars, where I can't play with people who own the Steam version.

Thought I would highlight this Reddit thread here since it has important information about failed credit cards and changing your order information now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4dn266/psa_if_your_initial_payment_attempt_failed_please/

Failed Payment:

Hello folks,
If your payment failed when processing for shipment for whatever reason (insufficient funds, fraud check hold by bank, etc.), please login to your Order History (https://shop.oculus.com/history) and update your payment instrument, even if you a re-entering the same instrument again. The card or PayPal will be rechecked, and if valid, the hold will be released and your order will be processed in the next shipping batch for your region as long as the next payment attempt is successful. YOU WILL NOT LOSE YOUR PLACE IN LINE! Anyone who tells you differently is a silly person and should be flogged with a wet salmon. That is all. Carry on. <3

Changing your shipping address now might be an issue if you already received the 1-3 week email:

Risky. Changing any information this close to your ship date could result in delays. If anything, sign-up for UPS MyChoice and request an address change after it ships.

Twistgibber wouldn't answer a query as to whether or not people in the six minute mark would be receiving their Rifts this week.

Another step back. All the orders that didn't get processed due to payment failure will eat away at whatever meager stock they were prepared to ship.

Another step back. All the orders that didn't get processed due to payment failure will eat away at whatever meager stock they were prepared to ship.

Well, they would have technically shipped if the payment went through. They take up the same shipment allocation so I don't think it's a big deal. I am glad they are giving people the opportunity to keep their spot in line if something doesn't work out.

There should be a deadline though. Maybe a week.

Enordash

Twistgibber wouldn't answer a query as to whether or not people in the six minute mark would be receiving their Rifts this week.

Likely another weekend without... Free shipping was a great gesture, but I do wonder if they'll go beyond that due to the severity of delays.

I'm really really trying to be patient, but the fact that the Vive is actually out and people are getting shipments of it and the Rift "launch" was over a week ago with no one knowing when they are even shipping out... this is bad. If I didn't have one of the first preorders at the 5min mark, I'd really be tempted to cancel. I was a HUGE Oculus supporter and have praised them until this "launch". Got a DK2 when preorders for them went up and couldn't say enough good things. My hype and loyalty for Oculus has pretty much went out the window. The damage has been done. Free Shipping is nice, but I'd rather pay double what shipping was going to cost to just have the damn thing at this point.

I ordered a Vive the day preorders went up and have an April shipping for that too, and have now leaned more toward that device than the Rift. I love the Oculus store and think it's a very neat and cool way to interface with the storefront and be in a virtual space, but man, they botched this almost to the point of unrepair for me. Like I said, I'm trying to be patient, I'm trying to have self control, but now seeing the Vive out there with people bringing it home and having fun with it.... damn, I'm kinda jealous. This whole thread had the potential of being on fire and having so many good discussions, but the "launch" was so terribly handled that it basically salted the earth for most people on the Rift; myself included.

I'm not canceling my order, I'm keeping both devices, but dang, I'm really soured on Oculus at the moment. I'm keeping very low expectations for Oculus from now on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The most annoying thing is the seeming lack of structure to things. Started off with KS backers, now it's both together. KS aren't shipping in any logical order either, so we have both a delay, and no realistic way to predict when ours will be here.

Same with vive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom