• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsigg12

Going to wait for the reason of the delay for that other VR set. I can wait a little longer.

CES starts on the 6th though there are a lot of things that'll be announced ahead of the show floor opening, so I'm expecting some news tomorrow.

Vladmiris

I have over $500 in Amazon credit saved...hope there is an option to pre-order on Amazon. My wife will kill me if I put the Rift on our card when I told her the constant requests for gift cards was to purchase a VR headset.

Seems this is what we will be buying once we know how much we will be buying it for...

CX5CpRaWMAAt2EE.jpg

EDIT: Touch controls not out until 2nd half of 2016 according to Gaf In The Know.

The fact this is going up for pre-order in a couple days and we still have no idea what the price is kinda makes me think we're pretty much looking at a four digit number at this point. It's as if they're actually afraid to announce the cost. I was planning on buying one originally but because they're so damn determined to hold back that vital data I couldn't save up towards one or even know how long it would take me to save up.

Bsigg12

Seems this is what we will be buying once we know how much we will be buying it for...

CX5CpRaWMAAt2EE.jpg

They have already said the Oculus Touch controllers won't be coming until the second half of 2016.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/update-on-oculus-touch-ship-date/

The fact this is going up for pre-order in a couple days and we still have no idea what the price is kinda makes me think we're pretty much looking at a four digit number at this point. It's as if they're actually afraid to announce the cost. I was planning on buying one originally but because they're so damn determined to hold back that vital data I couldn't save up towards one or even know how long it would take me to save up.

Neither the the Rift or the Vive will be $1000+ for the headset and controllers. All we know for the Rift is that it'll be more than $350 and with one of the VR ready PCs that Oculus is supporting, it would come in at around $1500 for the full setup. I fully expect the Rift to come in at the $449 to $499 range.

I still think the Vive because of the inclusion of the Lighthouses and wands, as well as coming from HTC who continues to struggle and can't as easily afford to sell the devices at cost, will be in the $700 to $800 range.

Vladmiris

I don't think it will be four digits, but I am fully expecting high three digits. My guess is $799.

QaaQer

My guess on how it went down:

MZ: Kinda pricey for plebs no?

LP: Naw, early adopters are financial morons. I bet we could sell out the first shipment without even telling them price.

MZ: What do you want to wager?

Schryver

I have not had the chance to try VR yet but this is so tempting. I will probably wait though because I can't see myself buying a Rift, Vive, and PSVR and want to wait on real Rift vs Vive comparisons. Leaning towards waiting and getting part of the Rift or Vive paid for as a birthday gift at the end of July

_woLf

I'll preorder one with the idea that I'll be able to afford it when it is released.

If not, I'll cancel. No biggy.

kaleii

Bought a new computer three weeks ago that exceeds the minimum requirements. However, it really bugs me that they haven't given a RRP yet. So much secrecy it hurts!

Plum

I have over $500 in Amazon credit saved...hope there is an option to pre-order on Amazon. My wife will kill me if I put the Rift on our card when I told her the constant requests for gift cards was to purchase a VR headset.

Amazon UK has a dedicated VR space right now so it SHOULD stock them. Oculus would be suicidally stupid not to stock their product on Amazon.

Don't have a good enough rig to use the Rift so I'll probably just wait till the end of the year. Now Sony's VR device will get purchased day 1.

Tankshell

I can understand pre-orders with the limited quantity developer kits, but... I don't really see why pre-orders are needed for the final "off the shelf" consumer hardware.

I mean surely they will be mass producing enough for everyone... so that we don't have the ridiculously long wait times we had with DK1 and DK2 etc?

$400 to GBP plus VAT... £326.

If it comes to £350, I can take the bit. I'll need to upgrade my CPU to the best Haswell i5 but other than that I am gold.

Anything over that and I wait for games I want to play. I don't have time to develop my own software for it.

solarus

Ok so do they charge up front for preorders? If i remember right they did for dk2 for paypal ordes, is there anyway to preorder without paying before it actually ships?

Oculus Touch isn't releasing until later in the year, but are they planning on having a pre-order bundle with a touch included?

I think they backed away from that unfortunately. Still hope we will learn how much it will cost for the full package though, I view tracked controllers as an integral part of the experience.

QaaQer

I can understand pre-orders with the limited quantity developer kits, but... I don't really see why pre-orders are needed for the final "off the shelf" consumer hardware.

I mean surely they will be mass producing enough for everyone... so that we don't have the ridiculously long wait times we had with DK1 and DK2 etc?

You still have to deal with supply v demand. IDK how aggressive FB is with their hardware ramp up, but I doubt there will be easily available stock until 6-8 months after launch.

Really thinking about pre-ordering to show my support for VR. I just hope that there'll be more than enough apps developed for it. We haven't seen a lot of apps developed, although there's been a DK1 and a DK2. Am I mistaken? Or are developers just waiting for the consumer version to come out before talking about their games and apps?

viveks86

Even though I'm more excited for the Vive, I might end up getting this first because I can't wait till next quarter... sigh...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I really hope they announce a price before pre-orders go live. Its kind of shitty to make people wait until the time limited pre-order before they even know the cost.

I've been saving money for the Rift, I'll finally be able to spend it come Wednesday. I hope new video cards come out soon, though - my GTX 780ti has been hitting framerate issues in Elite Dangerous unless I set the quality to low, and that's at 1080p at 75hz, while the consumer Rift will be 1200x1080x2 at 90hz

AgeEighty

I really hope they announce a price before pre-orders go live. Its kind of shitty to make people wait until the time limited pre-order before they even know the cost.

The price will be announced alongside pre-orders on Wednesday. You will know the price when it's time to make a decision.

jack....

I backed the Kickstarter in 2012 and got one of the first prototypes but I think I'm going to wait to see how PlayStation VR is before I buy anything.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The price will be announced alongside pre-orders on Wednesday. You will know the price when it's time to make a decision.

Yes, but also under the time stressor of "If I want this I need to make a choice right now or it will sell out." They know what they're doing, and its a crappy thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom