• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Touch - VR controller for the Oculus Rift headset (shipping H1 2016)

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
They do look bloody cool though, don't they? Personally speaking, I haven't been this excited by videogames industry hardware announcement in I honestly don't know how long.

Speaking as a total fanboy, all I can think about right now is that I just had my first real look at the future - a future that has finally arrived - and it's VR-shaped.

How long until we can expect something like the below for non-entertainment applications, I wonder?

3o85xtQ6ygKxiAw1jy.gif

Isnt it better to have the index finger control the analogue trigger rather than the middle finger?

ps3ud0 8)

Not really. If you were using a gun, what would be more natural? Using your index finger to pull the trigger, or your middle finger? What would the benefit of analogue control on a gun trigger? Now mimic the motion of gripping an object. Did you use all your fingers, or just your index?

Seanspeed

Banned
Some of us may remember this mockup done like a year ago or more:

This was kind of my hope for what Oculus would do, and I'm quite happy to see that they've basically done exactly that, with additional 3d space tracking and even some basic gesture recognition.

I'm guessing they just don't feel it's going to be ready in time, though. They obviously aren't avoiding bundling it because they're idiots, but because they can only wait so long with Valve having a head start.

So yea, the obvious fear is that this doesn't get the content development it would need, since not everybody with a Rift will have one. Which means it will largely go to waste.

On the other hand, I was thinking, this might actually not be worlds away from the Vive wands. They obviously function a little differently with different button placement and one with an analog stick and the other a trackpad,, but it might be entirely possible that a game developed with the motion controls of the Vive would more or less translate to the Oculus Touch. It wouldn't work so well with a game designed to have you up and turned around or whatever, for occlusion reasons, but for general 3d input, it might just work.

Good stuff, either way. Not having it bundled may hurt whether I get the Rift, but I do hope Oculus continue to stick with this, as this, combined with more competent hand-tracking and some sort of additional tracking system for occlusion issues would be a whopper of an input for CV2.

ps3ud0

Not really. If you were using a gun, what would be more natural? Using your index finger to pull the trigger, or your middle finger? What would the benefit of analogue control on a gun trigger? Now mimic the motion of gripping an object. Did you use all your fingers, or just your index?
Sorry youve lost me with your examples

What I meant is that the index finger is more capable of fine motor control independent of your other fingers compared to your middle finger especially as you put it if they are in a gripping position. To me it makes more sense for the index to control anything that requires an analogue movement.

ps3ud0 8)

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Hoping to see more of a standardized input between Valve, Sony and Oculus once everyone figures out what works well and what doesn't. The more fragmentation there is in the early days of VR, both from a hardware and software perspective, the more convoluted things get for developers and audiences alike.

^this so much.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So it's basically a Move but with a 2001 space station ring instead of a disco ball for positional tracking? Cool I guess!

Looks like a neat solution with very good ergonomics.
Are people expecting 2 sensors / cameras to pick this & the headset up or are we going to see these suffering significant occlusion in comparison to the Vive handsets due to a single camera setup?

To echo the above, I hope there is some way to standardise all these different inputs in games. I would guess you will be able to, as tracking of movement is going to occur across both, so let's hope so.

dr_rus

Like I said in the other thread: It really should have been bundled with every Rift. It's a huge mistake not to.

It doesn't matter. That tech is so alien to a regular consumer that they won't buy it even if it will cost $50 in one package.

I warned Sony in 2010 god damn it.

p8awj45.jpg

http://www.ps3blog.net/2010/03/24/did-sony-really-need-the-sub-controller/

They screwed big time with cost reduction measures for the move. Very stupid decision. (Their reasoning was something like "you wouldn't be able to use the analog when flailing your arms anyway.".. So not true.. Like rumble was last gen..)

Edit: Oh, at the time, I wasn't even aware that sub-controller had 0 motion sensors, because in one ad a guy was seen throwing a bomb with that controller, so I assumed it had six-axis functionality.
It would have been better if one unit had a d-pad and the other had the shape/color button.

Helznicht

If we have hand tracking, Oculus VR games can be developed without the need for them. Them coming later is not as bad as it could be. I for one am more excited about using my hands being tracked than wands, its so 2012 :') Not all oculus games for 2016 will be xbox pad only.

But, they have to have a hard input solution in the future because the other 2 have them, and they will need to be supported by developers.

So to me, Oculus will be cheaper and more functional than Vive. I am onboard.

hesido

It would have been better if one unit had a d-pad and the other had the shape/color button.

The idea was to reduce the number of different controllers that one needed to buy. The butons could be placed in a way to double up as directionals, for example. The re-designed move patent has a changeable plate that has either buttons or the d-pads, but I don't know if that's a good solution.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If we have hand tracking, Oculus VR games can be developed without the need for them. Them coming later is not as bad as it could be. I for one am more excited about using my hands being tracked than wands, its so 2012 :') Not all oculus games for 2016 will be xbox pad only.

But, they have to have a hard input solution in the future because the other 2 have them, and they will need to be supported by developers.

So to me, Oculus will be cheaper and more functional than Vive. I am onboard.

Theres no mention of handtracking in Oculus CV1 without the Oculus Touch tracking finger stuff inside of its half moon. Base unit wise as in headset only, the Oculus and Vive are fairly identical.

magnumpy

Theres no mention of handtracking in Oculus CV1 without the Oculus Touch tracking finger stuff inside of its half moon. Base unit wise as in headset only, the Oculus and Vive are fairly identical.

actually oculus purchased nimble VR awhile back, which enables exactly this sort of thing

Jydipbs.png

basically hand/finger tracking. how this all integrates with the half moon/xbox 1 control interfaces is yet to be seen. more info at E3 I guess?

It's stupid they put this at the last segment of the show. All it did was create a confusion like what the Wii U is to the Wii. People are going to think it's an extra peripheral instead of being an actual core device to the system.

Cynn

I can see why they're including the Xbox One controller for now. Everything about the final Rift design and especially the controllers looks like they came directly out of Microsoft's design lab. Same materials, textures, design lines and shapes... It's spooky almost.

Top Bottom