• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

odd wii connection bug

usea

So after 2 hours of troubleshooting, I finally figured out why my wii stopped being able to connect to my router. The wii can't connect wirelessly (or at all?) if a third party gamecube memory card is plugged into slot A. I tested it over and over. If I plug in my memory card then it can't connect to my router and sometimes couldn't even see the access point. Unplug the card and it connects fine right away.

I don't have any first party cards to test, but I tested 2 different brands of third party cards. The nyko cards I have work fine, but with my interact card in slot A it won't work no matter what I do. Slot B works fine with any card, it's just slot A that causes problems for some reason. I found a small thread on the nintendo official forums about the issue, and several people have the same problem, but none of them share which third party cards they're using.

If you're having trouble connecting to the internet with your wii, consider unplugging your gamecube memory card. This seems like an incredibly odd issue, and I hope it can be fixed in a firmware update.

how strange
Maybe it can only control so many things at once memory card ports, controllers etc, taking out memory cards frees it up to do something else?

Xavien

Strange, i have a third party GCN memory card (some clear plastic thing) in my Wii and i can still access the Shop Channel no problem. It might be a problem localized to your Wii IMHO or maybe its just that certain memory card makers didn't follow the standards completely and are now incompatible with the Wii?

usea

Xavien said:
Strange, i have a third party GCN memory card (some clear plastic thing) in my Wii and i can still access the Shop Channel no problem. It might be a problem localized to your Wii IMHO or maybe its just that certain memory card makers didn't follow the standards completely and are now incompatible with the Wii?
I considered that until I found the thread on nintendo.com where other people had the same problem. I think it's localized to certain memory cards. Like I said it works fine with a nyko brand memory card I tried, but not my InterAct one.

It may be localized to some types of routers too. I could pass the connection test on a neighbors unsecured router, but I couldn't use any wireless features like the shop channel, it would just time out and give me an error. I couldn't even pass the connection test on my router though, and often it wouldn't even show up in the list of access points.

For the record, I tried everything I could think of before removing the memory card. I thought surely that wouldn't have anything to do with it, so it was the last thing I tried. I tried changing the wireless security to all sort of different keys, methods, disabling it completely. I changed the SSID, I changed the IP, I tried manually setting up the IP, DNS etc in the wii settings.

I even put the router directly on top of my wii in case it was...some type of magic distance-related interference even though the signal was strong. Yes, magic was more plausible than the gamecube memory card.

usea

This is the card I'm using.
626ba369.jpg

Also, the card functions perfectly fine both in my gamecube and wii. I've recently been playing wind waker and smash bros both on wii, and neither have problems with the card.

SumGamer

You know what? I was trying to get the Wii connect to my fully functioning Nintendo USB connector. Tried couple of times and didnt work, so I turn it off and try connecting DS at the same spot, working beautifully. I thought maybe Wii has a shorter range, so I moved TV and Wii to sit next to the PC and tried it. Still I couldn't get it to work. So I tried reinstall the connector with newest version available, still not working. I have no idea I left the Wii trying to connect while I searched for an answer, nothing come up and Wii still dont show up in th rego-tool.

Too tried to find a way any more, I pick up a DS and try connecting with Tetris. At the same moment the DS connection show up in the rego-tool, the Will connection show up. I have no idea why it did that :s

Top Bottom