• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Fang

Banned
Some of you guys are just too fucking much. It’s funny spending a day in this thread, because in some ways it’s like being in an opposite world version of Era, except with more rational modding rules. So right up front I’m giving GAF that victory.

But in regards to the political arguments being made here, it’s so fucking similar to Era, just flipped.

Someone earlier posted a long list of hoax stories about Trump supporters doing fictional awful things. However, you’re just going to leave out the fact that there have been plenty of real crimes committed in similar fashion, not the least of which was an actual murder in Charlottesville a couple years ago, when Trump famously stated there were “very fine people on both sides”. He said that after someone was MURDERED.

I know I’m probably wasting my time, but willfully only seeing and celebrating the facts you wish to see is just the height of intellectual dishonesty. It’s why I was banned from Era. I questioned the narrative they WANTED to see. Here there is just a different narrative you WANT to see. A narrative where Trump actually isn’t a racist, and his supporters don’t kind of like the racist things he says, and he isn’t lying, he’s just trolling, and he’s not stupid, he’s actually just smart but plays dumb for laughs, and he’s actually a really good president, the media just doesn’t want to admit it. Sorry guys, all of this is about as true as Jussie Smollett’s story.

We live in a society now where people choose news sources based on the narrative they want reinforced. It’s kind of like these two forums right now. 🤔

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Some of you guys are just too fucking much. It’s funny spending a day in this thread, because in some ways it’s like being in an opposite world version of Era, except with more rational modding rules. So right up front I’m giving GAF that victory.

But in regards to the political arguments being made here, it’s so fucking similar to Era, just flipped.

This thread is mostly used to point out crazy stuff from other places. It makes sense that a lot of the reactions in here would be the opposite of what is being pointed out.

Someone earlier posted a long list of hoax stories about Trump supporters doing fictional awful things. However, you’re just going to leave out the fact that there have been plenty of real crimes committed in similar fashion, not the least of which was an actual murder in Charlottesville a couple years ago, when Trump famously stated there were “very fine people on both sides”. He said that after someone was MURDERED.

While I agree there are some people here like that, it's not like that is the entire community. A lot of us just roll our eyes and move on when we see posts like that.

I know I’m probably wasting my time, but willfully only seeing and celebrating the facts you wish to see is just the height of intellectual dishonesty. It’s why I was banned from Era. I questioned the narrative they WANTED to see. Here there is just a different narrative you WANT to see. A narrative where Trump actually isn’t a racist, and his supporters don’t kind of like the racist things he says, and he isn’t lying, he’s just trolling, and he’s not stupid, he’s actually just smart but plays dumb for laughs, and he’s actually a really good president, the media just doesn’t want to admit it. Sorry guys, all of this is about as true as Jussie Smollett’s story.

We live in a society now where people choose news sources based on the narrative they want reinforced. It’s kind of like these two forums right now. 🤔

There are good and bad things about any presidency. I agree with a lot of Trump's policies, but not every one. He's had quite a few misses so far. As someone who voted for Trump I have no problem admitting when he does something stupid. I also think he's mostly a moron and should do a better job watching what he should say. I do think the media jumps on him too hard at times though.

The difference here is someone can like Trump without being dogpiled. You are also free to hate him too. Whatever your opinion is that's fine. Maybe it will even lead to an interesting discussion.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
New Fang New Fang

I can’t speak to political discourse on other sites, but what I can tell you is that at the very minimum you will not be banned or censored here for having a political opinion. If things are kept civil, you can represent whatever position you’d like here.

If you feel there is a lack of a certain viewpoint, than the beauty of that problem is that all it takes to fix it is just participating in the conversations yourself.

The staff here won’t prevent more left-leaning posters from posting here at all...and we will do our best to protect both sides of the fence from just slinging shit onto each other instead of actually having rational conversation.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find that you’ll run into many more like minded individuals than you may have expected, and by adding your voice to the conversation, you may embolden other like-minded individuals to get off the fence and actually participate themselves.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

The key difference here is that you are simply allowed to have whatever opinion you wish but

1) Don't get personal

2) Don't advocate violence or wish for death upon any group or politician. This is the one rule that gets anyone permabanned, regardless of prior contributions. Funnily enough this seems to affect a disproportionate amount of far-right folks here.

3) Don't whine about the state of the board or drag threads with meta-commentary. It is my belief you have not been moderated for such because you are clearly putting in some effort into your posts and it is clear you are acting in good faith.

There is no narrative being pushed by anyone here. The mods have made an effort to be as distant and aloof from picking sides as much as possible. EviLore dunks on some people here and there but hey it's his site.

So now you're at the crux of the issue. There are clearly going to be a lot of people here you fundamentally disagree with and it's up to you to decide what is worth engaging and what isn't.

I'll be completely honest there is a lot of Era talk on this forum that is pretty damn annoying and is in so many other threads but hopefully in time it will die down. It's my general belief that when people aren't getting responses they become disinterested and move on, call it social conditioning if you will.

dorkimoe

lol got banned. Those mods are the most sensitive people I think i have ever seen. I simply quoted someone else who said the same thing and pointed out the mods wouldnt take responsibility for premature bans they made in a thread. it was in the hoax thread lol. Its apparently trolling to make a comment they disagree with.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
welcome back to the right side of sanity

b7A3Egi.jpg

Last edited:

Skullface

Whelp, I was hoping my ban had expired at Era, but instead, I can't even log in to see my ban greeting. My account was nuked. Of all stupid things I was banned for, I posted in a thread that was bemoaning 4chan's "Daisy Hogg" memes. I jokingly referred to my self as the creator of the meme, encouraging users to AMA. I left it alone for a couple hours, and when I came back I was greeted with a ban for "trolling". Here I was, ready to discuss the Jessie Smollett news with people I was sure would disagree with me. Man, it's been a while since I've been on GAF. It's very different here.

Skullface

For the sake of my sanity, I'm probably better off. I'm guessing there's no such thing as a temp ban there? Lol, not even a warning. It's good to be home. Thank you for having me, EviLore. GAF got me through some tough, lonely times in my life.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For the sake of my sanity, I'm probably better off. I'm guessing there's no such thing as a temp ban there? Lol, not even a warning. It's good to be home. Thank you for having me, EviLore. GAF got me through some tough, lonely times in my life.
There is, I have been banned for a limited time two times (third was limited initally as well).

RedVIper

Banned

They sometimes use "pending" as a way to perma ban people without actually perma banning them, looks a bit less shitty I guess.

Trivia of the day: ResetEra bans around 1000 people every 1 and half months.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
A lot had changed since you left. Main thing is that I've become the coolest and most popular member around here, and as long as you show me respect and pay tribute once a month, you're golden.

New Fang

Banned
There is no narrative being pushed by anyone here. The mods have made an effort to be as distant and aloof from picking sides as much as possible. EviLore dunks on some people here and there but hey it's his site.

To be clear, I wasn’t suggesting this forum has a right wing agenda in an official sense. I was just talking about the majority of people posting in the Smollett thread, where I originally made that post.

The people in that thread are most certainly pushing an agenda, while conveniently leaving out information that doesn’t fit their narrative. The exact thing they’ll happily decry Era is all about.

My overarching complaint was a societal one, but it is interesting that we even see that societal problem now playing out in the two biggest video game forums on the internet.

Yoshi

Wow, you got 3+ strikes? What for? Here I am, in exile for funposting.
Since I also got some warnings, I am not entirely sure which one were actual bans:
- Unfriendly post against religion
- Racism (I think when discussing the usage of "nigga")
- Transphobia (Arguing about Rick Gervais' programme)
- Thread derailment and nitpicking on minority issues (Arguing that stating that trans-women are not the opposite sex of non-trans men is not transphobic in itself)

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
To be clear, I wasn’t suggesting this forum has a right wing agenda in an official sense. I was just talking about the majority of people posting in the Smollett thread, where I originally made that post.

The people in that thread are most certainly pushing an agenda, while conveniently leaving out information that doesn’t fit their narrative. The exact thing they’ll happily decry Era is all about.

My overarching complaint was a societal one, but it is interesting that we even see that societal problem now playing out in the two biggest video game forums on the internet.

The whole Jussie thing is a mess, I'm not even sure what parts of the story is true anymore. Was he or was he not on the phone with his manager? Did he know the two Nigerian guys or were they just coworkers? Did he pay them or not? It's all very confusing so I wouldn't blame people for not knowing wtf is going on.

I agree people here might lean a bit more right when it comes to social issues, but when it comes to economic issues there's plenty of people on both sides.

Skullface

They sometimes use "pending" as a way to perma ban people without actually perma banning them, looks a bit less shitty I guess.

Jesus, that's some over kill.

A lot had changed since you left. Main thing is that I've become the coolest and most popular member around here, and as long as you show me respect and pay tribute once a month, you're golden.

Yes, sire. You have my full devotion.
Were you a frequent of the MGSV OT back in them days?

Yoshi

No, they do not do it like that, if a regular mod issues a ban that he wants to extend beyond a certain time frame, the ban is marked "duration pending" and then a mod captain / admin extends it to permanent (usually, but not always) afterwards.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

People are people, certain tactics that people use are not exclusive to any one side of the debate or left/right spectrum of fiscal or social policies. Prepare to roll your eyes a lot when it comes to political threads as all sorts of generalizations are widespread.

Not every battle is worth fighting and not every post is worth dignifying with a response.

Personally, I feel like this video series on how to change one's mind should be mandatory viewing for everyone to post on politics.

Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity is an old GameSpotter, a relic from System Wars, so be definition he can in no way, shape or form garner any respect.
6j72.gif

RedVIper

Banned
No, they do not do it like that, if a regular mod issues a ban that he wants to extend beyond a certain time frame, the ban is marked "duration pending" and then a mod captain / admin extends it to permanent (usually, but not always) afterwards.

But the duration pending can be there for god knows how long, maybe it's not on porpuse but I always thought it was a way to make it seem like they weren't being too heavy handed in a thread, so they'd hand out the perma bans after the thread calms down so less people would see it.

Yoshi

But the duration pending can be there for god knows how long, maybe it's not on porpuse but I always thought it was a way to make it seem like they weren't being too heavy handed in a thread, so they'd hand out the perma bans after the thread calms down so less people would see it.
In my time there it was actually pretty rare that such a ban wasn't finalised within 24 hours. It's probably just a case of a huge load of such bans in the topics that get discussed here predominantly and the mod captains / admins having a hard time keeping up. I mean, someone here said they ban 1k people in 2 months? If the admins want to check permanent bans properly by considering the context, I can understand work piling up at times. I see no reason to assume they want to look less heavy handed, because all staff communication makes clear they like the tough look in terms of moderation.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This is not the Politics sub, heh.

Trump is a president. That's about the only fact we can measure with absolute certainty.

Whether he is good president, a bad president, a fourth wall breaking president, the
popular.png
of Putin or Yoshi's pet, that i leave for the Politics sub.

Basically

putin-did-911-jpg.643016

2pypeh.jpg

I just had to with that phrasing.
New Fang New Fang

I can’t speak to political discourse on other sites, but what I can tell you is that at the very minimum you will not be banned or censored here for having a political opinion.
I agree. I even posted a thread expressing sympathy for Hitler and it was all good.

Harr harr.

lol got banned. Those mods are the most sensitive people I think i have ever seen. I simply quoted someone else who said the same thing and pointed out the mods wouldnt take responsibility for premature bans they made in a thread. it was in the hoax thread lol. Its apparently trolling to make a comment they disagree with.
Bplded is your problem. Mods not taking responsbility? HERESY.

giphy.gif

OFF YOU GO YOU DISHONEST SCUM!!!

Whelp, I was hoping my ban had expired at Era, but instead, I can't even log in to see my ban greeting. My account was nuked. Of all stupid things I was banned for, I posted in a thread that was bemoaning 4chan's "Daisy Hogg" memes. I jokingly referred to my self as the creator of the meme, encouraging users to AMA. I left it alone for a couple hours, and when I came back I was greeted with a ban for "trolling".
When ERA's humor is this:

istock-537640710.jpg

Calling out all Cowards: Pineapple on Pizza is a legitimate topping! (Do note that PoP is an origin meme that ERA already had in 2017.)

You are suddenly going to appreciate Amy Schumer for her comedic talent.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this CNN: New evidence thread is insane lol

almost expecting a bunch of banned people flocking over here. to anyone lurking: you are welcome! just don't be a dick to other posters and you should be good =)

cryptoadam

Banned
Notice how the Aurora thread disappeared from ERA.

It got to 5 pages and then poof. BTW thats the thread where someone posted they wish the guy was white and didn't cop a ban.
And sure its cool some REEEEE's are seeing the light and coming here, but I don't want them turning this board into REEEEEE 2.0 and having the same BS over there carrying over here. If you are a REEEEEEEEEfugee please leave your ShaREEEEEEEEa law over there and integrate into GAF's values.

I don't want Evilore to have to build that Wall to protect our borders ok guys :).

Yoshi

this CNN: New evidence thread is insane lol

almost expecting a bunch of banned people flocking over here. to anyone lurking: you are welcome! just don't be a dick to other posters and you should be good =)
I find it unfair that it is OK to be a cunt, but not to be a dick.

Corrik

I disagree with your assertion that Donald Trump is a racist. I also disagree with the fact that his supporters are racist.

I believe people see signs he COULD be racist, and instead of having definitive proof one way or the other, they just build a bridge to get to he is racist because it is beneficial to their viewpoint.

Corrik

In my time there it was actually pretty rare that such a ban wasn't finalised within 24 hours. It's probably just a case of a huge load of such bans in the topics that get discussed here predominantly and the mod captains / admins having a hard time keeping up. I mean, someone here said they ban 1k people in 2 months? If the admins want to check permanent bans properly by considering the context, I can understand work piling up at times. I see no reason to assume they want to look less heavy handed, because all staff communication makes clear they like the tough look in terms of moderation.
I'll back Yoshi here. I got 4 moderations there. My third was duration pending. After 6 days became a 2 week ban I think.

My 4th was duration pending. After like 3 days became permanent.

I think they are pending just to look at them. Though I disagree with every last reason I was moderated at all, they do seem to take time to review them when pending.

cryptoadam

Banned
LOL the Smollet thread has devolved into defining victim blaming because they need distractions. These guys can't stop splitting hairs over stupid semantics rather than taking responsability for their childish actions.

Acerac

Banned
I got one moderation without a ban, and when I tried to follow up after the week long time period in which they said they would have more info for me I was permabanned IMMEDIATELY.

Is best to not try to make sense of their practices.

So I've been here since before everyone left, stayed here and never left. What I noticed is this...

A) Most Gaffers currently don't go into politics at all. The most active is gaming. Many don't even go into Off Topic (or look at stickies :messenger_grinning_smiling:)

B) Many of the Gaffers who will go into politics aren't hella Left, the ones that are don't go into Politics.

C) We certainly do have (Gaffers both Left and Right) that leave out or ignore information that they don't like.

But the Current NeoGAF Staff has been great and setting the rules and enforcing them. You can say what you want as long as it isn't hateful. As in you can't personally attack another Gaffer. You can't make statements like I hate *BLANK* people!

However I think Politics has a lot of people who want to point out hypocrisy and double standards that a year ago would have been met with a ban. So it's still fresh and new still.

But a bunch Gaffers on the left that have/had accounts here don't want to discuss Politics. Previously they could get the members that didn't share their opinions removed from NeoGAF.

The biggest lie this community (imo) was telling themselves is that we were giving individuals of marginalized groups a place to speak and be heard. However if a member of a marginalized group didn't echo what we wanted, we removed them.

While we may not be perfect, I honestly do believe we are in a much better place than previously. That everyone here now has the ability to speak and be heard.

What I will say is we need more people willing to gather and post information. So if you see information that is missing from a thread, please post it and point it out. It takes a village.

The community needs leaders. The Staff does their job but we can certainly do better at ours. We have a Volunteers program that attempts to help with complaints like this. Thank you for expressing your thoughts New Fang New Fang

Redneckerz

So I've been here since before everyone left, stayed here and never left. What I noticed is this...

A) Most Gaffers currently don't go into politics at all. The most active is gaming. Many don't even go into Off Topic (or look at stickies :messenger_grinning_smiling:)
This is me. I stay away from it because its mostly US based and i notice a lot of the bans appear from this section of the site.

Discussing Trump 24/7 must be crucifiction really.

Corrik

I still think all users should have to display their country flag on their account. Way too often people who are tearing down the American system and making astronomical arguments aren't even American at all. Doesn't mean they can't say what they feel, but we should be able to see the context of where they are even coming from inherently.

Redneckerz

I still think all users should have to display their country flag on their account. Way too often people who are tearing down the American system and making astronomical arguments aren't even American at all. Doesn't mean they can't say what they feel, but we should be able to see the context of where they are even coming from inherently.
You would want that huh, user from South Ossetia. That's right.

I know.

250px-South_Ossetia_overview_map.png

Ribi

Era spooked me off of having any opinion on politics so now I just spam USA USA USA and hope people go away.

Even if we ignore the content in the thread completely...if I don’t like something I don’t buy it and move on.

These people will go through the guys life history, come up with a ten page long rant and then spend the next few weeks of their life organizing some lame Twitter war. To me that is psychotic and a waste of time. Just don’t buy the game!

Yeah. That is what normal people do anyway.

Do you think this is a generational thing with younger folks who son't know how to let out their anger naturally? It is strange to go after people who don't directly infect your life in any meaningful way.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yeah. That is what normal people do anyway.

Do you think this is a generational thing with younger folks who son't know how to let out their anger naturally? It is strange to go after people who don't directly infect your life in any meaningful way.

I think a lot of them are just living their lives through the internet. They just need to get out more and have real interactions with people.

pimentel1

Banned
From CNN. Cutting out the irrelevant bs material (basically any part where the media tries to say “but... but...” to save their sorry asses. It begins with a monologue from Bryan Cranston.

Why the Jussie Smollett case warranted skepticism from the very start

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/18/media/reliable-sources-02-17-19/index.html

"The destructive power of absolute beliefs"

"Here is the truth: the real truth, the thing we must be most afraid of," he said, "is the destructive power of absolute beliefs -- that we can know anything conclusively, absolutely -- whether we are compelled to it by anger, fear, righteousness, injustice, indignation. As soon as you have ossified that belief, as soon as you start believing in the absolute, you stop believing in human beings, as mad and tragic as they are... in all their complexity, their otherness, their intractable reality... The only commitment any of us can have is to other people..."

...And this brings us to the Jussie Smollett case.

Many people figured Smollett was telling the truth when he said he was assaulted in the middle of the night by two strangers. Did the allegation immediately become a political weapon when TMZ reported that Smollett said the attackers called Chicago "MAGA country?" Yes. Was there a rush to judgment in some quarters? Yes. Did some liberal celebs and Democratic politicians issue statements that weren't supported by the facts? Yes. Did some Trump supporters feel insulted by the news coverage of the case? Yes.

The national outrage about Smollett's apparent suffering "was fueled in part by celebrities who spoke out loud and strong on social media," the AP's Lindsey Bahr wrote.

Kmele Foster and Liz Plank discussed the Jussie Smollett rush to judgment on Sunday's "Reliable Sources." Foster urged skepticism on the part of the press -- he said some people had doubts about Smollett's story early on, but "were afraid to raise the questions because of the intersectional nature of this particular accusation." Afraid their motives would be challenged.

There are tons of things I want to say in public. I don’t. To those that tried to push the MAGA evil white narrative and to those that banned others that they disagreed with: YOU ARE ALL GOOD PEOPLE. BE BETTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom