• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentenza

As we are on topic of bullshit bans, I remember how an old post my original account got me a one month long ban for "Sexism denial".
You may wonder what sort of outrageously sexist shitlord stuff I posted. Here's the quick recap.

There was this bizarre Kotaku article from Katie Williams, where she claimed that basically every single developer she met at E3 was being sexist and condescending toward her.
A Bohemia guy even dared to explain to her the controls for ARMA III during a press demonstration (believe me, not the most intuitive game overall, even if you are "familiar with games").
This is is the article, anyway: https://kotaku.com/so-what-if-im-a-woman-let-me-play-the-damn-game-5919386

I (rather politely) argued that it seemed a bit unlikely that everyone went out of his way to be dismissive or downright offensive to her and she seemed to react rather over-defensively about the most trivial stuff that happens with most of the press representatives (direct quote as an example: "I was often offered fact sheets just in case I didn't understand")
The ban message said that "With my incredulity I was creating an unwelcoming environment for women on the forum".

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As we are on topic of bullshit bans, I remember how an old post my original account got me a one month long ban for "Sexism denial".
You may wonder what sort of outrageously sexist shitlord stuff I posted. Here's the quick recap.

There was this bizarre Kotaku article from Katie Williams, where she claimed that basically every single developer she met at E3 was being sexist and condescending toward her.
A Bohemia guy even dared to explain to her the controls for ARMA III during a press demonstration (believe me, not the most intuitive game overall, even if you are "familiar with games").
This is is the article, anyway: https://kotaku.com/so-what-if-im-a-woman-let-me-play-the-damn-game-5919386

I (rather politely) argued that it seemed a bit unlikely that everyone went out of his way to be dismissive or downright offensive to her and she seemed to react rather over-defensively about the most trivial stuff that happens with most of the press representatives (direct quote as an example: "I was often offered fact sheets just in case I didn't understand")
The ban message said that "With my incredulity I was creating an unwelcoming environment for women on the forum".

Ridiculous, sorry about that. What's the status of that account?

Sentenza

Ridiculous, sorry about that. What's the status of that account?
TucoBenedictoPacifico. Not sure it even exists anymore. It was years ago. Permabanned because I logged with another account during a week-long ban.
Can't remember the details, but it was bullshit as well: someone got pissed because in a thread about a "LONG LIST OF PLAYSTATION EXCLUSIVES" I pointed the fact that half of them were multiplatform.
But that was not the excuse. The ban was for "port begging" because I replied to a guy that mentioned it that I honestly expected Ys 8 to come to PC as well at some point.
Ironically enough, it actually did. so I feel vaguely vindicated about it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TucoBenedictoPacifico. Not sure it even exists anymore. It was years ago. Permabanned because I logged with another account during a week-long ban.
Can't remember the details, but it was bullshit as well: someone got pissed because in a thread about a "LONG LIST OF PLAYSTATION EXCLUSIVES" I pointed the fact that half of them were multiplatform.
But that was not the excuse. The ban was for "port begging" because I replied to a guy that mentioned it that I honestly expected Ys 8 to come to PC as well at some point.
Ironically enough, it actually did. so I feel vaguely vindicated about it.

Oof, you got Mumei'd:

"TucoBenedictoPacifico, 1 month, Obnoxious denialism of sexism in the female journalist and thread, his responses in the thread as a whole, 1 "

He never should've been a mod. He didn't get many bans in and I overturned a bunch of them at the time, but looks like you weren't taken care of. My bad. I've overturned it and merged your accounts for ya.

z0zBtBe.png

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...cial-presence-to-israel.109184/#post-19472668

Several hours later after no warning is given:

Mp3ciLg.png

https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...-chasm-an-rpgmaker-game.109287/#post-19490314

Coward.

This is why I don't really see a meltdown for Era coming without a massive spark. There's a pretty strong feeling of "where else am I gonna go?" within the community. They'll just isolate themselves further, staying in the bubble where nothing outside it exists, prompting them to be surprised whenever gaming at large rejects their strict ideological bullshit like Geoff Keighley being friends with Boogie and Pewdiepie.

I'm just not looking forward to the illusion of influence causing real detrimental change within the industry.

Sentenza

Oof, you got Mumei'd:

"TucoBenedictoPacifico, 1 month, Obnoxious denialism of sexism in the female journalist and thread, his responses in the thread as a whole, 1 "

He never should've been a mod. He didn't get many bans in and I overturned a bunch of them at the time, but looks like you weren't taken care of. My bad. I've overturned it and merged your accounts for ya.
Well, thanks.
That was unexpected after all these years.

Oemenia

Banned
Yo Tyler, of all the cults that formed here, which do you think was the most damaging now looking back?

For me SonyGAF felt like the final nail in the coffin of sane discussion at GAF.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Without coming off like an absolute kiss ass, I just wanted to thank Tyler for being so completely transparent with all this information when he doesn't need to be. I say it a lot, but it's so damn refreshing to have such open communication with an admin and his moderation staff. It's gone a long way to helping build a community again.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Yo Tyler, of all the cults that formed here, which do you think was the most damaging now looking back?

For me SonyGAF felt like the final nail in the coffin of sane discussion at GAF.

I don’t think the worst thing that happened on Gaf was on the gaming side all. It was the OT/Political discussing, Hillary Referring, Bernie Slandering, our way or the highway mods and cliques that ultimately ruined the old site.

They just took it out of OT and forced it on the gaming community as well.

I would love to see EviLore EviLore break it all down in one giant tale.

I know from reading his posts here or there and putting it all together in my head. It just became such a big beast he could no longer control it properly and it became self perpetuating, until it finally turned on him.

Gaf 12-17 is really the best first example I can see of how internet outrage can harmfully affect lives and the ones left in the wake are forgotten about.

Now that they are off on their their own the craziness has gotten crazier, but thankfully society seems to be showing some sense of semblance that it’s coming back around.

I wonder if Bish was the one that handed out my two or three bans on here. I don't even remember what they were for.

What was up with Bish? He seemed liked he could be a really cool guy that just went off the deep end. Did he actually work for sony or something or campaign for hillary? His whole demeanor was just odd and almost seemed forced.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
What was up with Bish? He seemed liked he could be a really cool guy that just went off the deep end. Did he actually work for sony or something or campaign for hillary? His whole demeanor was just odd and almost seemed forced.
I honestly have no idea. When I used to lurk, he seemed fine. But later on it seemed like he was totally obsessed and more concerned with being an Internet celebrity within GAF than actually being a good moderator. All those Bish memes got to his head.

Or it could just be a classic case of absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

He is a black? Mullato? Canadian who worked on video games for EA (and others? )

Obviously Black Canadians in Toronto are super oppressed (they arent) but he felt the need to interject and throw his weight behind everything in that election. For all the Trump got Russia to mettle, why aren’t they accusing left wing Canadians of meddling as well?

CyberPanda

Banned
He is a black? Mullato? Canadian who worked on video games for EA (and others? )

Obviously Black Canadians in Toronto are super oppressed (they arent) but he felt the need to interject and throw his weight behind everything in that election. For all the Trump got Russia to mettle, why aren’t they accusing left wing Canadians of meddling as well?
Thanks for the chuckle.

JordanN

Banned
Gaf 12-17 is really the best first example I can see of how internet outrage can harmfully affect lives and the ones left in the wake are forgotten about.
It all feels like a blur. I remember signing up to Neogaf around 2012 because of the game industry leaks and e3 hype.

But then a couple years after, everything started to become about race this, gender this, sexist that, transphobic that. It was no longer about video games but an agenda being pushed.

CyberPanda

Banned
It all feels like a blur. I remember signing up to Neogaf around 2012 because of the game industry leaks and e3 hype.

But then a couple years after, everything started to become about race this, gender this, sexist that, transphobic that. It was no longer about video games but an agenda being pushed.
Didn’t you used to post on TeamXbox?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I would imagine everyone got fact sheets and control guides, accessibility and all that. The problem is that if one has a chip on one's shoulders the tendency is to assume malevolence in everything.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Oof, you got Mumei'd:

That right there is some excellent shit. Taking the time to do that for people is a cool thing to do.

HUELEN10

When I was younger I lived in fear that incarceration of some kind is near. I checked my head, in tact with rules: I nearly became a goddamn fool. But I've heard voices (not in the head) out in the air (they called ahead).

Through ripped out speakers, through thick and thin; they found a shelter under my skin. And so no longer live I in fear, them are too greedy to pay my asylum bills. This is my life and freedom's my profession; this is my mission throughout all flight duration.

There is a core and it's hardcore; all is hardcore when made with love. The love is a voice of a savage soul; this savage love is undestructable.

Wow...

So, long time no see. I probably won't remember a portion of you and vice versa so I ask sincerely not to take that personally (I've always been more used to the anonymous imageboard culture). I must say, being able to log in without "stumping for a racist, anti-Semitic homophobe" popping up is refreshing.

Though now that I have seen who did the ban, I have to step back and laugh at the fact that a power-mad Canadian apparently cared so much about what was happening in my own country to ban me for it. And regardless of how many times I've said it on Era, and regardless of the supposed "clean start", no one believes me when I say that I did not vote for the current U.S.A. President (not that it should matter anyways mind you, I just wanna play video games).

So what did I do? What can one do? Ignore trolls, and be helpful and share news and cool stuff in tech, vidya, etc. Problem is, to some that's not enough. The sad truth is that there are those out there that cannot comprehend that not everyone has an agenda to push, or hate or fear consuming them in everything they do. I find this trend, online and off, pitiable and sad.

I was banned for a month for being on-topic in a thread respectfully stating that I am doing well economically and have enough funds for a new wardrobe and shit and can afford HRT and, after being attacked for it, for telling someone who got a 20 percent raise due to Trump tax cuts that I am happy they are doing well as well, and that there is nothing wrong with that and that they aren't being rude or mean for saying that.

I was permed for allegedly making a thread in bad faith about Nintendo's official presence in Israel. Not a single person in that thread was warned or banned but me, all I did was post news and stay on topic whilst some people posted gross, dehumanizing generalizations such as "Israel isn't people.", something that usually doesn't fly on Era. Admins afterwards shut down a thread questioning the ban being vague, repeating it was made in bad faith when in fact I used the forums built-in reporting tools to report the anti-semitic content and suggest that a staff post be added to the OP to get the discussion back on track.

So yeah, politics. I can't be controlled and I refuse to side with a party, so to some I am to be feared. How sad. No one gets to tell me Anti-semitism isn't real, but truth be told, I'm kinda used to it. And it doesn't matter if you're a minority, or a minority in a minority, or a hated race, or a queer person to some that say they are accepting, all that matters is that you "fall in line" and I'll never do that; I'm no token and no victim and I think for myself.

What happens now? Honestly, I don't post much on traditional forums to begin with anyways, and as the years have gone, the number of online friendships has stayed fairly small, but strong, and I kinda want it to stay that way. I'm the same person I've always been, just someone who genuinely is genuine, who gives people the benefit of the doubt, and treats people with respect.

That being said, no one's an angel; put us under a big enough microscope and we're all disgusting swines. No agenda to push here other than being helpful and recognizing that a little bit of laughter is healthy; don't take things too seriously.

At the risk of sounding verbose, but to avoid confusion and ambiguity, thank you EviLore for setting a wrong right. Also, thank you for not apologizing; that might sound weird to some, but to me it shows that everything now truly is water under the bridge, and I sincerely respect that. We can all move on.

You may see me from time to time, but even if I won't post much, I'm always happy to help. To truly clean the slate, I have erased every PM in my box (or cleared notifications, I'm not too used to the new layout). I'm still very well-versed and enthusiastic about video/scalers, controllers, and all thing iOS, so never be afraid to contact me. I'm always happy to help when I can; I like helping people.

Cheers y'all, and much love.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
When I was younger I lived in fear that incarceration of some kind is near. I checked my head, in tact with rules: I nearly became a goddamn fool. But I've heard voices (not in the head) out in the air (they called ahead).

Through ripped out speakers, through thick and thin; they found a shelter under my skin. And so no longer live I in fear, them are too greedy to pay my asylum bills. This is my life and freedom's my profession; this is my mission throughout all flight duration.

There is a core and it's hardcore; all is hardcore when made with love. The love is a voice of a savage soul; this savage love is undestructable.

Wow...

So, long time no see. I probably won't remember a portion of you and vice versa so I ask sincerely not to take that personally (I've always been more used to the anonymous imageboard culture). I must say, being able to log in without "stumping for a racist, anti-Semitic homophobe" popping up is refreshing.

Though now that I have seen who did the ban, I have to step back and laugh at the fact that a power-mad Canadian apparently cared so much about what was happening in my own country to ban me for it. And regardless of how many times I've said it on Era, and regardless of the supposed "clean start", no one believes me when I say that I did not vote for the current U.S.A. President (not that it should matter anyways mind you, I just wanna play video games).

So what did I do? What can one do? Ignore trolls, and be helpful and share news and cool stuff in tech, vidya, etc. Problem is, to some that's not enough. The sad truth is that there are those out there that cannot comprehend that not everyone has an agenda to push, or hate or fear consuming them in everything they do. I find this trend, online and off, pitiable and sad.

I was banned for a month for being on-topic in a thread respectfully stating that I am doing well economically and have enough funds for a new wardrobe and shit and can afford HRT and, after being attacked for it, for telling someone who got a 20 percent raise due to Trump tax cuts that I am happy they are doing well as well, and that there is nothing wrong with that and that they aren't being rude or mean for saying that.

I was permed for allegedly making a thread in bad faith about Nintendo's official presence in Israel. Not a single person in that thread was warned or banned but me, all I did was post news and stay on topic whilst some people posted gross, dehumanizing generalizations such as "Israel isn't people.", something that usually doesn't fly on Era. Admins afterwards shut down a thread questioning the ban being vague, repeating it was made in bad faith when in fact I used the forums built-in reporting tools to report the anti-semitic content and suggest that a staff post be added to the OP to get the discussion back on track.

So yeah, politics. I can't be controlled and I refuse to side with a party, so to some I am to be feared. How sad. No one gets to tell me Anti-semitism isn't real, but truth be told, I'm kinda used to it. And it doesn't matter if you're a minority, or a minority in a minority, or a hated race, or a queer person to some that say they are accepting, all that matters is that you "fall in line" and I'll never do that; I'm no token and no victim and I think for myself.

What happens now? Honestly, I don't post much on traditional forums to begin with anyways, and as the years have gone, the number of online friendships has stayed fairly small, but strong, and I kinda want it to stay that way. I'm the same person I've always been, just someone who genuinely is genuine, who gives people the benefit of the doubt, and treats people with respect.

That being said, no one's an angel; put us under a big enough microscope and we're all disgusting swines. No agenda to push here other than being helpful and recognizing that a little bit of laughter is healthy; don't take things too seriously.

At the risk of sounding verbose, but to avoid confusion and ambiguity, thank you EviLore for setting a wrong right. Also, thank you for not apologizing; that might sound weird to some, but to me it shows that everything now truly is water under the bridge, and I sincerely respect that. We can all move on.

You may see me from time to time, but even if I won't post much, I'm always happy to help. To truly clean the slate, I have erased every PM in my box (or cleared notifications, I'm not too used to the new layout). I'm still very well-versed and enthusiastic about video/scalers, controllers, and all thing iOS, so never be afraid to contact me. I'm always happy to help when I can; I like helping people.

Welcome back home. You are loved. Don't worry.

Papa

Banned

Wow...

I'm no token and no victim and I think for myself.”

Beautiful. Welcome back, mate.

Traianvs

Welcome back HUELEN10 HUELEN10 . I'm relatively new in this board but I was a lurker during the crazy days so I remember very well the draconian moderation, the hunt for wrongthinker and the bish gimmick.
Now I feel very welcome and I can engage in meaningful conversation even with people who disagree with me without the fear of repercussions.
Have fun!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Welcome back, Huelen. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Wow...

But I hope you are aware that you are required to post on future Sonic threads (Team Sonic Racing, future Sonic platformer threads), right?

Welcome back :).

Dunki

I liked Huelen. Let's see...

fEltwvc.png

Oh for fuck's sake.

Huelen's final posts dared to be critical of YASSS QUEEN HILLARY.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fbi-...hillary-clinton.1242912/page-6#post-209208448

Bish is such a cunt. Huelen's unbanned.
I never get this antisemitism accusation. I mean Trump can be many thing but the last he is is Anti Semetic. He has a lot of Jewish Family members. He moved the Embassy to Jerusalem. He visits Jewish places in Israel etc. This makes no fucking sense.

I never get this antisemitism accusation. I mean Trump can be many thing but the last he is is Anti Semetic. He has a lot of Jewish Family members. He moved the Embassy to Jerusalem. He visits Jewish places in Israel etc. This makes no fucking sense.

antisemitism bad
orange man bad
orange man antisemitic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom