• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread - Scott Proctor on to get some posts in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
"You heard," "reporting"

Man, people put a lot of stock in internet message boards these days. Although, I'd love to read the publication that would write that up. Too funny.

Reported, chief.

Heard it on the local sports radio network. Sportswriter brought it up.

Relax- You'll live longer.

Sanjuro

Talon- said:
Go ahead and do it. He's right.

Both teams have dealt with injuries to key players and underperforming batters, and they have the two best records in the NL.
I get that, but I don't think either one of those teams are unable to get off course, Barves even more so.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
verbum said:
Can the Yankees wait until a player blossoms or is the NYC pressure so much that the Yankees have to trade away potential for immediate results? Is it pressure from fans/media or impatience on the part of management?

The thing is they shouldn't wait on players to develop.

And really we're talking about Jeff Karstens? The guy still sucks. The Yankees might regret letting Clippard go but again it's just a middle reliever.

Was talking to a buddy of mine about how ridiculous the FanGraphs top 50 players in trade value are. The entire series is truly ridiculous.

They have Brett Gardner in the top 50 but not Eric Hosmer. I thought about it for a bit and basically think that the Yankees shouldn't trade Gardner for Hosmer in some hypothetical deal.

Yankees aren't restricted by payroll, they are restricted by the pool of players available to them. They can justify a 250 million plus dollar payroll every single season. Basically they should be about maximizing their talent on their roster at all times and not take on guys who will develop into second-division tier starters (which is what Karstens is at best).

If Hosmer ends up becoming a super stud then in 5 years the Yankees would be one of a handful of teams able to sign him and would be the favorites. They'd be looking for a replacement for Teixeria, and right now after Holliday - Hamilton - Braun there really isn't a LF in the game better than Gardner (yes over the past season and a half Gardner has been much better than Crawford). Gardner as it is is one of the most underpaid and underrated players in baseball (and yet he somehow plays for the Yankees).

Ian Kennedy is the one guy they regret letting go but I'm convinced the D-Backs exploit a market that doesn't get exploited enough. Trade/sign for guys who have average stuff which won't cut it as anything other than #4/5s in the AL but have well above average command and all of a sudden you have an above average pitcher in the NL (I wonder how many years the Cardinals have to do this for other teams to catch on). Collmenter in particular strikes me as the kind of guy who would get absolutely eaten alive starting for some AL team.

Karsten has given up 17 homers this year (tied for 4th in baseball). All 17 of them have been of the solo variety. I wouldn't want to own him in a fantasy league. Chances are that ERA balloons quite a bit in the second half.

eznark

Banned
Talon- said:
Well, we live in a world where a Presidential hopeful believes John Quincy Adams was a founding father.

And a president who has been to 57 states. I weep for America.

Reported, chief.

Heard it on the local sports radio network. Sportswriter brought it up.

Who?

eznark

Banned
What's a good Mets message board? I have some time, think I'll start a Braun/Gallardo as the PTBNL's rumor. See how long it takes to get to GAF.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
And a president who has been to 57 states. I weep for America.

Who?

Believe it was Martino... Don't quote me on that, though. Who was the reporter that broke the news of a list of 5 prospects being sent to the Mets for evaluation?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
eznark said:
What's a good Mets message board? I have some time, think I'll start a Braun/Gallardo as the PTBNL's rumor. See how long it takes to get to GAF.

Dear god no.

Mets already have an albatross contract in LF, no reason to add another.

eznark

Banned
Maxim726X said:
Believe it was Martino... Don't quote me on that, though. Who was the reporter that broke the news of a list of 5 prospects being sent to the Mets for evaluation?

Huh, weird:

SurfingTheMets I'm sure it isn't anyone noteworthy. This trade was about shedding $, and Mil has bad farm RT @EricGarment Any idea who's on that list?

Personally I'd call getting a guy with MLB time and an extremely young pitcher who is performing well noteworthy in this type of deal.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
Huh, weird:

Personally I'd call getting a guy with MLB time and an extremely young pitcher who is performing well noteworthy in this type of deal.

It would be nothing short of highway robbery. MAYBE Gamel because he's struggled in the majors. But not Thornburg.

eznark

Banned
Maxim726X said:
It would be nothing short of highway robbery. MAYBE Gamel because he's struggled in the majors. But not Thornburg.

Right, so clearly it wasn't Martino who was reporting it. So...who? I'm curious because these guys are all on twitter now and I love getting into twitter fights with idiot reporters.

Also because you're making this shit up based on message board posts and won't admit it when you get called out.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
Right, so clearly it wasn't Martino who was reporting it. So...who? I'm curious because these guys are all on twitter now and I love getting into twitter fights with idiot reporters.

Also because you're making this shit up based on message board posts and won't admit it when you get called out.

Heard it last night on WFAN. What message board is it on right now?

eznark

Banned
Maxim726X said:
Heard it last night on WFAN. What message board is it on right now?

type the names into google. this is generally how it goes"

1. reasonable Met fan a: brewers best prospects are probably gamel, thornburg, xxx, xxx,xxx

2. reasonable Met fan b: Ya, but no chance we're getting those two, guess it'll probably be A ball pitchers?

3. fan a: ya, probably

4. someone like maxim "we're getting Gamel and Thornburg!!!" YES!!!! wooo! highway robbery!!!!!!!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gamel can't actually be a PTBNL right?

I thought one of the rules with PTBNLs was that a player couldn't be labeled a PTBNL if he played in the same league as the team he's going to (as in the National League). Which is why PTBNL's are almost always minor league prospects / org guys.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Gamel can't actually be a PTBNL right?

I thought one of the rules with PTBNLs was that a player couldn't be labeled a PTBNL if he played in the same league as the team he's going to (as in the National League).

I think by moving the time frame six months from now, anyone in the organization would be eligible. Not positive though.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
type the names into google. this is generally how it goes"

1. reasonable Met fan a: brewers best prospects are probably gamel, thornburg, xxx, xxx,xxx

2. reasonable Met fan b: Ya, but no chance we're getting those two, guess it'll probably be A ball pitchers?

3. fan a: ya, probably

4. someone like maxim "we're getting Gamel and Thornburg!!!" YES!!!! wooo! highway robbery!!!!!!!

Are you trolling? Or just stupid?

How does 'It would be nothing short of highway robbery. MAYBE Gamel because he's struggled in the majors. But not Thornburg.' (My previous post) translate into:

YESS WE ROBBED THE BREWERS!!

I've now said TWICE that I don't think it's actually happening. But okay.

eznark

Banned
Maxim726X said:
Are you trolling? Or just stupid?

How does 'It would be nothing short of highway robbery. MAYBE Gamel because he's struggled in the majors. But not Thornburg.' (My previous post) translate into:

YESS WE ROBBED THE BREWERS!!

I've now said TWICE that I don't think it's actually happening. But okay.

I'm not the one claiming this possibility was reported. I'm telling you what is floating around and how it has gotten started. You should thank me for pointing out that you fell for nonsensical internet chatter.

Also note that while you specifically said things like "reported" I said "people like you," not you specifically.

The one reporter you claimed to have heard it from is on record contradicting your claim. Simple way to shut me up: show me the "reporting."

Maxim726X

eznark said:
I'm not the one claiming this possibility was reported. I'm telling you what is floating around and how it has gotten started. You should thank me for pointing out that you fell for nonsensical internet chatter.

Also note that while you specifically said things like "reported" I said "people like you," not you specifically.

The one reporter you claimed to have heard it from is on record contradicting your claim. Simple way to shut me up: show me the "reporting."

Very well. I'll try to look up who was on the FAN last night. It was an early AM show... Maybe they have the guests on their website.

Edit: Can't find it on their site. I thought it was Martino, but if he's contradicting that statement now then I guess it wasn't... Believe what you will. That's what I heard last night.
Looking into both of them now there's a very slim chance that would actually happen. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I still think Gamel is a possibility.

I thought it happened months ago but yesterday marks the official day that Brian Wilson jumped the shark:

brian_wilson_wears_cool_new_shoes_stumps_for_new_teammate.jpg

They look like the licensed Ninja Turtles and Batman shoes my mom would buy me from Payless.

Jangocube

Banned
eznark said:
Don't worry. Still plenty of shitty players to give you for Hardy.

Yeah, we'll definitely be trading him I think. Orioles were stupid and didn't sign him before he went on this little month long tear. We'd only need him for 2 years, but still...

We'll gladly take Prince Fielder. He didn't do so great in the home run derby. His value is at an all time low.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:

What do you expect when Dave Robertson is pitching in the 3rd inning?

My biggest gripe with the game is that they are way too many middle relievers. I'm sure David Robertson is a great guy and all but nobody wants to see him pitch in the 3rd inning of an All-Star game.

Obviously though the ratings tanked because Derek Jeter and his intangibles weren't there.

darkside31337 said:
What do you expect when Dave Robertson is pitching in the 3rd inning?

My biggest gripe with the game is that they are way too many middle relievers. I'm sure David Robertson is a great guy and all but nobody wants to see him pitch in the 3rd inning of an All-Star game.

Obviously though the ratings tanked because Derek Jeter and his intangibles weren't there.
Beckett got injured, so they needed a reliever who could get loose fast.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Beckett got injured, so they needed a reliever who could get loose fast.

Yeah.

My general gripe is that there are too many pitchers in general. There's absolutely no reason to have 10+ pitchers pitch in a 9 inning game. It should really take like 7 guys tops to get through 9 innings.

My favorite all star moment I ever saw was Pedro in the 99 ASG where he struck out Larkin, Walker, Sosa, McGwire and Bagwell all within a 2 inning stretch.

Now a days nobody actually pitches 2 innings. Jered Weaver was the SP for the AL side (because of all the guys who pitched the game before the ASG). Completely pedestrian closers like Brandon League or Chris Perez absolutely convince me there are simply way too many guys on this roster to begin with.

Anyway no regrets watching the ASG here. Highlights of the night was Justin Timberlake trolling Fox while constantly ripping Joe Buck and that really nervous / dumb kid Heath Bell was trying to strike a conversation with.

Celsior

Wellington said:
It's different with the Yankees and Yankees fans. Giving up guys like Tabata and Jackson is like giving up on the idea of putting together another home-grown dynasty run.
The Yanks have Austin Jackson, it is called Brett Gardner, and the Yanks version strikeouts less.
Ian Kennedy was not considered to be anything more then a AAAA pitcher when the Yanks had him, really not to heartbroken about him.
Clippard was a desperation trade, would be nice to have him right now.
Nady and Marte deal was a steal by the Yanks two years ago, the people given up don;t seem to be more then decent quality though.

The only bad deal is really the Vasquez deal, giving up a top pitching prospect for him hurt.

bluemax

Banned
Wellington said:
It's different with the Yankees and Yankees fans. Giving up guys like Tabata and Jackson is like giving up on the idea of putting together another home-grown dynasty run.

Does this matter? Most of your prospects turn out to be over rated and you have the money to make up for any mistakes. Oh boo hoo you won your world series with talent you bought from other teams instead of developing yourself.

I thought Yankees fans relished the fact that they just buy their way into the playoffs. I'm surprised they think of their farm system as anything but future trade pieces.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Jangocube said:
Yeah, we'll definitely be trading him I think. Orioles were stupid and didn't sign him before he went on this little month long tear. We'd only need him for 2 years, but still...

We'll gladly take Prince Fielder. He didn't do so great in the home run derby. His value is at an all time low.
Jim Hoey and some other scrubby pitcher for Hardy, and I won't go a penny higher.

I wish I could hate Bill Smith out of a job.

bluemax said:
Does this matter? Most of your prospects turn out to be over rated and you have the money to make up for any mistakes. Oh boo hoo you won your world series with talent you bought from other teams instead of developing yourself.

I thought Yankees fans relished the fact that they just buy their way into the playoffs. I'm surprised they think of their farm system as anything but future trade pieces.

no we like rooting for farm grown too. don't let afew loudmouths or WFAN tell you otherwise.

Sharp said:
I am willing to blame the decline in All Star ratings entirely on Joe Buck.

I'm going to blame the overall lack of interest in baseball. Everything is down...

and Lambtron, too bad you can't play the white sox every series eh?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
evil solrac v3.0 said:
no we like rooting for farm grown too. don't let afew loudmouths or WFAN tell you otherwise.

Why does this matter to Yankees fans though?

Your team has like a 200 plus million dollar payroll threshold. You guys shouldn't be screwing around with prospects. The Yankees farm system is way more loaded than it has any right of being, there are ton of depreciating assets in it, lots of guys who will never actually be Yankees due to things like lack of playing time they'll get at the big league level or general lack of elite level upside. Other teams need to use above average talent for league minimum salaries, the Yankees really don't need to mess around with that.

I almost feel like the Yankees and their fans are forcing themselves to play the same game as everybody else when they really aren't. It's like they have to be the Rays even though they have a payroll that's more than 5 times larger than the Rays.

It doesn't even matter how many homegrown players the Yankees have on their roster. It won't ever be "enough" to stop the haters from hating about how they bought their latest WS title.

I wish my team could operate like the Yankees do or should anyway. Instead I'm stuck with the Mets.

Dragon

Banned
darkside31337 said:

Your team has like a 200 plus million dollar payroll threshold. You guys shouldn't be screwing around with prospects. The Yankees farm system is way more loaded than it has any right of being, there are ton of depreciating assets in it, lots of guys who will never actually be Yankees due to things like lack of playing time they'll get at the big league level or general lack of elite level upside. Other teams need to use above average talent for league minimum salaries, the Yankees really don't need to mess around with that.

I almost feel like the Yankees and their fans are forcing themselves to play the same game as everybody else when they really aren't. It's like they have to be the Rays even though they have a payroll that's more than 5 times larger than the Rays.

It doesn't even matter how many homegrown players the Yankees have on their roster. It won't ever be "enough" to stop the haters from hating about how they bought their latest WS title.

I wish my team could operate like the Yankees do or should anyway. Instead I'm stuck with the Mets.

The Yankees have a ceiling. It's just higher than other teams. By developing players through their system they can afford to pay CC to be their best pitcher for seven years. They can't afford to pay 20 million for every player. Players like Cano and Gardner ARE important.

Sharp

cuevas said:
I'm going to blame the overall lack of interest in baseball. Everything is down...

and Lambtron, too bad you can't play the white sox every series eh?
Isn't the attendance downturn almost entirely explained by the Dodgers? Or is that no longer the case?

LJ11

MC Safety said:
Is the Mets-Brewers trade just a salary dump? Or do the Mets expect real value from the Brewers they receive?

Dump that shit contract. Shawn Estes turned into Pedro Feliciano. Just never know which way these "prospects" will go.

darkside31337 said:

one, there is a limit to how much the Yankees can spend.
and two, even if you are the Yankees you don't want to be stuck with awful long term contracts with underperforming and/or injured players. you can pay it, but you can't win with people hurt all the time.
it catches up with you. and if it wasn't for the farm system, Yankees don't win four out of five world series in the 1990's. in the years after 2000 all the Yankees did was sign free agents and it didn't get them anywhere.

Sharp said:
Isn't the attendance downturn almost entirely explained by the Dodgers? Or is that no longer the case?
I'm pretty sure your right. Attendance has been pretty much flat compared to last year, and that's with Dodgers and Mets down in attendance. Toronto, Marlins, Royals, and Rays are hurting the numbers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom