• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

A review from Nintendo Power was posted over at Gamefaqs

Comandante42 said:
Review Title: Apocalypse Wow

Rating: 8.5/ 10

Summary:
*Game is comfortingly much the same as before, few surprising innovations.
*The story in DoR is much better than those in previous games. Details about plot not included in this review because they would require massive spoilers.
*Battles are more approachable than before, but gameplay is not overly simplified nor too complex.
*It feels as though the DS was made for the AW franchise.
*Frustrating touch screen control aspects of AW: DS are gone, control is much smoother.
*Wi-Fi battles are a great addition to the game.

Review written by Chris Shepperd

Nintendo Power, Volume 225, February 2008

traveler said:
I can't find one of these anywhere. Any suggestions?
I'm pretty sure the regular ones work as well, but yea I wouldn't use this for the Wii. When I bought this I didn't have wireless cards on my computers. Now that I do have wireless, I can't go online with the DS because of WPA, and I'm too lazy to change it to WEP everytime...so I guess the dongle can be useful for the DS.

I would recommend getting a wireless router, but get the dongle if you don't want to switch to wireless.

Koren

*Battles are more approachable than before, but gameplay is not overly simplified nor too complex.
I must say I'm scared... AW: DS was awfully simple in advance campaign, and 90% of the warroom was also not challenging at all.

traveler said:
I can't find one of these anywhere. Any suggestions?

According to some CAG members, some Wal-Marts have it on clearance for less than $9. But a wireless router is probably your best bet, judging from the accounts I've heard about the dongle.

And a freakishly easy single player mode would certainly be disappointing and would temper my excitement greatly. There's always WiFi battling but the single player experience is just as important to me.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kobun Heat said:
Big interview -- well, basically a monologue! -- with NOA localization guy, amazing speaker of Japanese, and Advance Wars lover Tim O'Leary about AWDS' story and mechanics.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/01/interview-ninte.html

Wait wait wait... am I misreading something, or is he saying that EVERY MAP in this game is limited to a SINGLE SCREEN -- no scrolling?

Have we known that before? That seems like a significant reduction in gameplay... I had read about the user created maps being limited to a single screen, but ALL maps?

traveler

Not Wario
DavidDayton said:
Wait wait wait... am I misreading something, or is he saying that EVERY MAP in this game is limited to a SINGLE SCREEN -- no scrolling?

Have we known that before? That seems like a significant reduction in gameplay... I had read about the user created maps being limited to a single screen, but ALL maps?

I think he means that all the action will take place on the bottom screen, rather than employing both, like Dual Strike. No need for alarm.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
traveler said:
I think he means that all the action will take place on the bottom screen, rather than employing both, like Dual Strike. No need for alarm.

How is that different that Dual Strike? At what point did Dual Strike use two screens... or is that just referring to battle animations?

VegaShinra

DavidDayton said:
How is that different that Dual Strike? At what point did Dual Strike use two screens... or is that just referring to battle animations?
There were some battles where you had to fight on two different fronts, like ground and sky. So the top screen would naturally act as the sky and the bottom as the ground.

justchris

Hootie said:
Any word on the negatives in the review? They gave it a 8.5/10 but it sounds like it's a 9.5/10.

Just got home, so I can post this for you. Here are the negatives from the review:

"There isn't a lot of gameplay innovation in Days of Ruin - a few new vehicles and some fresh changes on the battlefield to give your brain something to chew on, but most of what you'll see is comfortingly the same as before."

Read: 'We can't see how an infantry unit with 5 move, and CO's having area of influence massively change the strategy of the gameplay.'

"But while the missions are smartly tied to the story, sometimes the winning strategy seems exceedingly narrow. Too often you have to play a level over and over again until you figure out the precise steps to victory. Or you can throw a ton of manpower at your enemy and wear him down through long, slogged out battles. Either way, you feel like you're rewarded only for figuring out how how the developers wanted you to play, not for creativity."

Read: 'We're too pussy to beat some maps after even two playthroughs, so we deducted a point.' or, alternately, 'We didn't play the first Advance Wars.'

Koren

OK, that's dumb, at least till I can figure myself.

Infantry now has 5 move ? They've really done a complete overhaul of the game, I hope it'll be as balanced as the previous iterations.

justchris

Koren said:
Infantry now has 5 move ? They've really done a complete overhaul of the game, I hope it'll be as balanced as the previous iterations.

No, no, no, basic Infantry still has 3 move. The Bike is an infantry-type unit, and it has 5 move. It can take buildings, and has the same weaponry as basic Infantry. It also has a special movement type that won't allow it to cross rivers or climb mountains, but it takes less of a penalty in harsh terrain than other vehicles (like recon or tanks).

But still, being able to move 5 spaces to capture a base instead of 3 is a pretty significant strategic change.

From the interview:
Tim O'Leary said:
You can't upload a map until you've played it yourself and cleared it to make sure it's a viable map.

Now that is a good idea. Will stop people from uploading broken maps.

Kobun Heat said:
Big interview -- well, basically a monologue! -- with NOA localization guy, amazing speaker of Japanese, and Advance Wars lover Tim O'Leary about AWDS' story and mechanics.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/01/interview-ninte.html

Great interview! I'm even more pumped about it. After reading the interview a thought popped in my head. If they wanted to sell 2 million copies, they should have just called it "War Training: Destroy your Enemies in Minutes a Day!".

All kidding aside. This looks to be a game that will stay in my DS for a long time.

[Nintex]

Little Green Yoda said:
Wait, what is this Map center if it's not the map sharing feature?
You can upload your maps to a public map server for anyone to download.

The sharing feature is limited to your friends.

Hootie

Wowowowow...I can't wait! Good thing I have exam week right now, as they are all easy, I get half days, and more importantly, time to play AW all next week and on!

Neomoto

You can make a map of any size and trade it with a Friend Code but the Map Center limits map size to 10x10.
Oh fuck yeah! My only (minor) "complaint" is gone! Oh man, I can't wait for this game.

And I don't get why Nintendo Power says that there isn't a lot of gameplay innovation.. In my opinion IS has outdone themselves with Days of Ruin. And that's saying something! ;) And I'm sure it will play absolutely amazing too.

justchris

AdmiralViscen said:
Looks like Missiles are still gimped. Any word on the War Tank's specs?

How are Missiles gimped? It looks like they've increased their range to 3-6, and increased their movement to 5. It does look like Ammo for all units has been reduced though.

No stats on the War Tank yet, there are no screens or movies that feature it.

gimz

shit, why does this game come out in my poor of the poorest time of my life :(
how do i squeeze some money for this game and No More Heros :(

traveler

Not Wario
I hate to keep bugging you guys with the same questions, but is there anything I can do to get my DS online via Ethernet? (I'm at a college and they don't allow routers, so Wi-fi is a no-go)

Guled

traveler said:
I hate to keep bugging you guys with the same questions, but is there anything I can do to get my DS online via Ethernet? (I'm at a college and they don't allow routers, so Wi-fi is a no-go)
There is no way to use Ethernet to get your DS online. Dose your collage have any wireless network?

Helzown

Bishman said:
Next week needs to hurry up and end.

I agree with what you have said, I just can't believe you have BJ Penn as an avatar.

Anyway, this game was one of the greatest announcements last year. I absolutely can't wait for this, could be my handheld GOTY.

ag-my001

traveler said:

Eat lunch at McDonalds and use their hotspot? Not the healthiest of options, but it could work. Plus the free refills would be a nice bonus.

traveler

Not Wario
Guled said:
There is no way to use Ethernet to get your DS online. Dose your collage have any wireless network?

Not in range of the dorms, but, yeah, if push comes to shove, I can just go sit in the cafeteria of the UC. :lol

I just got an email--so the NWS is going to start selling the game on Sunday? I have Monday off and I've been waiting for this game since I finished the previous one...

Lee N

Membre
traveler said:
Just get the little Nintendo WiFi Dongle.

Guled

traveler said:
Not in range of the dorms, but, yeah, if push comes to shove, I can just go sit in the cafeteria of the UC. :lol
In that case, get the wi fi usb thing. Its a pain in the ass, but its better then that.

Tenbatsu

6ur44m9.jpg

Aurelius

Eurogamer has an First Impressions preview. The like the new units, but not the darker tone.

It's hard not to have mixed feelings about Dark Conflict. Wi-Fi multiplayer aside, it's somewhat unexciting as a package, and if you feel Advance Wars ennui setting in then Dark Conflict will do little to reawaken your enthusiasm. On the other hand, purists will be delighted that it has unbroken all the stuff that didn't need fixing in the first place, and tinkered with this near-perfect strategy template with both restraint and imagination. In pure tactical terms it's shaping up to be the best game since the first, and the better of the two DS versions by some distance, and we're sure that will be borne out by more extended and deep play come the game's release next week. It's just a shame that, in finding its way again, Advance Wars has lost so much of its soul, and its style.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=90902

justchris

Aurelius said:
Eurogamer has an First Impressions preview. The like the new units, but not the darker tone.

[/i]

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=90902

Bah, whatever. We had 3 games in the old style, and the story was basically the same across all 3 games. I still own all 3 of those, and if I for some bizarre reason feel the need to experience that story again, I can go back and play them. A series reinventing itself, without breaking what made it great, should always be encouraged.

Guled

justchris said:
Bah, whatever. We had 3 games in the old style, and the story was basically the same across all 3 games. I still own all 3 of those, and if I for some bizarre reason feel the need to experience that story again, I can go back and play them. A series reinventing itself, without breaking what made it great, should always be encouraged.
Yup, its always sad to see when developers try a different style, and create a new fresh experience, but gets bashed (LOZ:WW). I don't care what reviewers say, this is a AAA game.

Top Bottom