• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Apple WWDC 2006 keynote thread

pxleyes

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Christ, they just got going. So far they've shown off Time Machine, which sounds pretty nice, and they've moved on to Boot Camp, and Virtual Desktops.

Look at the time....only a few minutes left.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
10:48 am if at home with several macs, you can search them all
and search workgroup servers at the office
10:48 am enabling spotlight to search OTHER machines if you have permissions
10:47 am one of the great features of tiger - instantly search for any file by all sorts of things
making it even better in leopard
10:47 am 5) spotlight

fse

johnjohnson said:
I totally agree. LOL at how they call MS copycats and then copy the system restore points from Windows and the Network Drive instant search from Google Desktop search.

the innovation! :0

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Christ, they just got going. So far they've shown off Time Machine, which sounds pretty nice, and they've moved on to Boot Camp, and Virtual Desktops.

Now the remainder of the conference will be Steve Jobs playing Ridge Racer on the Mac Book Pro in glorious 1080p.

White Man

10:48 am if at home with several macs, you can search them all
and search workgroup servers at the office
10:48 am enabling spotlight to search OTHER machines if you have permissions
10:47 am one of the great features of tiger - instantly search for any file by all sorts of things
making it even better in leopard
10:47 am 5) spotlight

Vista does this.

10:49 am what you're looking for is often right there without doing a search
10:49 am prepopulated with recent stuff you've been doing
10:49 am adding recent items to spotlight
10:49 am making it a great app launcher

Quicksilver does this. It'll be nice to have it built into the OS if it works nearly as well, though.

10:50 am thousands of layers - text, images, video, openGL, almost anything
10:50 am time machine built on core animation
10:50 am allows you to dramatically increase the production value of your applications
10:50 am "CORE animation"
sorry :)
10:49 am 6) more animations

Yawn.

Wait, that last one actually sounds kind of cool.

koam

You "Vista does this, XP does that, Google does this" people are missing the point. All of this will be done on ONE OS without the need for extra software. IMHO that's pretty cool though these features don't really appeal to me very much.

pxleyes

Banned
koam said:
You "Vista does this, XP does that, Google does this" people are missing the point. All of this will be done on ONE OS without the need for extra software. IMHO that's pretty cool though these features don't really appeal to me very much.

Because it is so difficult to d/l Google Desktop right now.

zou

johnjohnson said:
I still hope that the one more thing is a 12" widescreen MBP. I'd instantly buy it.

Or a MacBook revision. One that doesn't fry eggs, melt, and burn the user.

Timbuktu

dsc_0502.jpg

dsc_0521.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
10:55 am new voiceover is incredible - sounds like a real person reading.

Improved text-to-speech typing swearwords fun!

White Man

koam said:

The point is, they've spent a bit of time ragging on the competition, but when it's come to putting their money where their mouth is, they haven't shown much to justify it yet.

That said, Tiger is so great that I really doubt there's a whole lot of great new features they could incorporate. It does so many things great already.

****, the finder still seems to be the same peace of crap :( I hope that the new finder is one of those Nintendoish features Jobs keeps hidden.

pxleyes

Banned
koam said:
You missed the point.

No, you are missing the point. Apple's whole thing this speech has been about knocking MS for lack of innovation and they show us barely anything new. The additions they are spouting, while slightly more convenient, are nothing new compared to what is offered now. No one is impressed because it is built-in. NEW things are what impress people.

White Man

zou said:
10:57 am next up: the big one

Finally we are getting somewhere ...

€: Or not

And it's about mail.

Last time I used Google Desktop it was a piece of garbage compared to Spotlight.

Google Desktop also calls home. But it's Google branded spyware so people eat it up.

did people the part when they said they're not showing everything?

I expected them to show off something more than Spaces and a bunch of features that aren't really innovative.

zou

11:00 am adding it to leopard - new special mailbox called "notes" to keep them separate

They can't be serious ..

€: Alright, the integrated To-Do list sounds at least somewhat decent ;)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
White Man said:
The point is, they've spent a bit of time ragging on the competition, but when it's come to putting their money where their mouth is, they haven't shown much to justify it yet.

That said, Tiger is so great that I really doubt there's a whole lot of great new features they could incorporate. It does so many things great already.

Again, what he said at the very beginning:

10:30 am don't want photocopiers started too early
10:29 am top secret features not being shown, just not letting you know what they are.
10:29 am what we can't show:

But yeah, to shoot your mouth off when you weren't going to show the goods was a bit silly. What they have shown is solid enough though, just nothing earth-shattering yet.

Lest we forget, Leopard isn't coming out all that soon. I'm sure they are saving some things to show off down the line. Last I read, the estimated release date was next Spring/Summer. This is the first seed release for the developers.

McFly

koam said:

And most important: Developers can access the features in their apps because they know, everyone with the new OS has the features available.

Fredi

White Man

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Lest we forget, Leopard isn't coming out all that soon. I'm sure they are saving some things to show off down the line. Last I read, the estimated release date was next Spring/Summer. This is the first seed release for the developers.

I thought it was going to be 1st quarter 2007? Oh well, we'll probably find out soon enough.

pxleyes

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

So then why are they ragging on Vista which will be out BEFORE it.

pxleyes said:

Because A) Vista is years late, B) Has clearly taken cues from OS X for it's looks and new features, and C) Leopard is suppose to surpass Vista in nearly every way.

C has yet to be seen, but that's the gist of it.

GG-Duo

pxleyes said:

Because the Vista delay was announced recently, and this is a great time to gain mindshare.

edit: Aww 4th answer.

McFly

"way to turn any part of any web page into a widget" ... cool, now everyone will think he can create widgets. :lol

Well, at least those 1000 different one feed only RSS reader widgets will go to hell.

Fredi

Top Bottom