• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Apple WWDC 2008 Thread (3G iPhone and...more?)

Juice

Crab Shaker said:
What's the current battery life of the iPhone?

Mine runs about 2 days on heavy-as-hell use. I charge it every night, though.

I've only run out of battery once, and that was because I made a weekend trip without charging it and was out in the country with my parents, where it was constantly searching for connection (will drain any phone pretty quick)

v4gr4nt

Juice said:
Mine runs about 2 days on heavy-as-hell use. I charge it every night, though.

Really? Mine only last 2 days, with mid usage, wifi off when I'm not on the net , and the brightness in less than a half :/

ckohler

If you roam at all, even only for an hour or less not on a call, the battery goes to shit.

Mine lasts about two days if I don't charge it. That's a typical, single 5 min call each day, 15-20 minutes of wi-fi web surfing. I always leave wi-fi on but I leave bluetooth off. However, I never let mine get that low since I always leave it in the charging dock when at home.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Realistically, how small can Apple make the casing to the current 3.5 inch models? The form factor cant get too much smaller, especially the width. Shrinking the length would make it look too squarish.

LCfiner

jordan0386 said:
"Somewhere in this ginormous circle."

Iphone 2.0 will probably be the better buy over an Instinct, no?

possibly. (probably). depends if it has GPS with proper maps integration and if that's important to you. the 3G capability is for sure. that covers the two Instinct ads.

The big advantage over other smartphones will be the user interface, as always. the Achilles heel will be the lack of a physical keyboard, for those who can't get used to the touchscreen.

jordan0386 said:
"Somewhere in this ginormous circle."

Iphone 2.0 will probably be the better buy over an Instinct, no?

On the technology side, we'll have to wait and see what Apple has up it's sleeve next week, and the Instinct is still a pretty big unknown. I haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

But, Gizmodo was reporting that the Instinct REQUIRED a $70/month data service.

aparisi2274

181730-iphone_03.jpg

Forbes takes rumor mongering to a new level by sending a reporter out to the West Coast Distribution center of Quanta Computers -- Apple's contract manufacturer.

Inspired by an earlier report from ImportGenius that quantities of new Apple products have been arriving at Quanta, Brian Caulfield set out to find out first hand. The end result was somewhat disappointing. Caulfield did see stacks of iMacs sitting in one parking lot at the facility, as well as stacks of plain brown boxes. These boxes may or may not have anything to do with Apple, of course

When Caulfield asked about the iPhone, he was unable to get much of a response:

Are the new iPhones inside? "No, no," he said, before flashing a grin and heading back into the building. "If so, I'm not at liberty to discuss it."

I'll actually be glad when the announcements are finally made. The rampant speculation and rumors are crazy at this point. Felt the same way last year leading up to the launch.

Phoenix

aparisi2274 said:
181730-iphone_03.jpg

Forbes takes rumor mongering to a new level by sending a reporter out to the West Coast Distribution center of Quanta Computers -- Apple's contract manufacturer.

Inspired by an earlier report from ImportGenius that quantities of new Apple products have been arriving at Quanta, Brian Caulfield set out to find out first hand. The end result was somewhat disappointing. Caulfield did see stacks of iMacs sitting in one parking lot at the facility, as well as stacks of plain brown boxes. These boxes may or may not have anything to do with Apple, of course

Are the new iPhones inside? "No, no," he said, before flashing a grin and heading back into the building. "If so, I'm not at liberty to discuss it."

Who knows, maybe they aren't full of iPhones :)

SuperPac

The report describing the activity at Quanta definitely has me thinking the launch of *something* Apple-related is close at hand. Probably iPhone... but I'd think *those* boxes would be inside the warehouse, pushing the iMac stock outside (the brown boxes are iMac-sized too). :)

Futureman

2.8" iPhone Nano with slide out keyboard would be my dream phone. I don't give a shit about watching videos on the go, so smaller screen leading to smaller form factor is a good idea IMO.

Futureman said:
2.8" iPhone Nano with slide out keyboard would be my dream phone. I don't give a shit about watching videos on the go, so smaller screen leading to smaller form factor is a good idea IMO.

Not going to happen. At least not as you describe it. No slide out keyboard anyway.

SuperPac

Futureman said:

Sorry to dash your hopes, but... you're not going to see a slide-out keyboard on any iteration of the iPhone. Probably ever. But I'm sure another phone maker has something with a slide-out keyboard for ya.

Futureman

Yea I don't think at least in the near future they will release something like I described, just saying that would be my dream phone.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Futureman said:
I don't give a shit about watching videos on the go, so smaller screen leading to smaller form factor is a good idea IMO.
Video is far from the only reason why as large a screen as possible is worthwhile.

So will people be camping Apple stores on Monday in anticipation of a possible iPhone2 release, or will there just be a mad rush if Jobs announces that they're available immediately?

aparisi2274

Gary Whitta said:
So will people be camping Apple stores on Monday in anticipation of a possible iPhone2 release, or will there just be a mad rush if Jobs announces that they're available immediately?

if he says they are available Monday after 6pm, I will drive straight to my local Apple Store here on Staten Island, and get one.

SuperPac

aparisi2274 said:
if he says they are available Monday after 6pm, I will drive straight to my local Apple Store here on Staten Island, and get one.

Same here. Hoping for 6 pm 'cuz I've got meetings most of the day Monday.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Software that I want to see available in AppStore on Day 1:

ebook reader/store/finder
task/todo manager
Puzzle Quest

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I too would like some full featured games.
Raging Thunder is a nice demo of what you can do on this platform. Nice graphics, and smooth framerate.

It's just glitchy as heck. :(

Futureman

How about this for some MEGA speculation...

OS X to be compatible with non-Mac computers?!?

TheAppleBlog raises a question that has been on the minds of many this evening regarding the notable lack of "Mac" branding on WWDC banners. Their conclusion? Is Apple planning on distributing OS X to computers other than Macs?

At MacRumors, we try to avoid purely speculative conclusions, but in so much as it's been on the minds of readers, we'll post this as a discussion piece. A few rumored changes could be positioning Apple for a transition to sell OS X for generic PCs:

- Changing .Mac to Me.com (platform neutral)
- OS X Leopard (not Mac OS X Leopard)
- 10.6 to be Intel only (dropping PowerPC would be necessary)
- "No new features" in 10.6 could be due to resources devoted to just making 10.6 "PC compatible"

Again, this should not even be considered a rumor. Only speculation, and it assumes that the above rumors are, in fact, true. Others also believe that Apple's lack of action against Psystar is also suggestive of these future plans.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/06/lack-of-mac-branding-raises-questions/

I don't believe this speculation one bit, and I'll re-iterate what I said above. I can't wait for the Keynote to be over so we can be done with all this speculation and rumor mongering.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I don't believe this speculation one bit, and I'll re-iterate what I said above. I can't wait for the Keynote to be over so we can be done with all this speculation and rumor mongering.

Yeah the last week before an Apple keynote is ridiculous. Truly some crazy people out there.

Futureman

Well the OS X on any X86 machine is just listed as speculation on MacRumors and it's not even posted on their front page.

And what's this about wanting the keynote to be over so we can end the speculation? That's the best part! Plus, once the keynote is over, speculation for the next show and the next round of products begins!

Futureman said:
Well the OS X on any X86 machine is just listed as speculation on MacRumors and it's not even posted on their front page.

And what's this about wanting the keynote to be over so we can end the speculation? That's the best part! Plus, once the keynote is over, speculation for the next show and the next round of products begins!

The number of rumors and the amount of speculation is beyond ridiculous at this point though. I read a number of tech sites (I work IT) and the number of posts about the iPhone and other possible Apple products in the past few weeks has just been crazy. The fact that anyone in their right mind believes that Apple will release a version of OS X for non-Apple machines is testament to that.

I've seen rumors over the past few days that have said that OS X 10.4 is scheduled for release on June 12th and includes support for a new device. We've also seen speculation about 10.6 being unveiled. Each of those, in and of themselves aren't awful, and may have some legitimacy to them, but when you combine it with the talk of the new iPhone, possibly two depending on who you believe, a host of possible upgrades to the iPhone OS, the plethora of alleged updates to the iPhone hardware, not to mention the possibility of a tablet of some type, which may or may not be powered by Atom, shows you how bad this has gotten.

Yes, some speculation is fun, but it's gotten out of control. And inevitably on Monday, someone will post in this thread about how they're "disappointed" by what Apple had to show, even though this is a developers conference and not generally intended to be a place to launch new hardware. The rampant speculation makes it impossible for expectations to be met, and these crazy rumors seem to get worse every day leading up to the event. Each successive event seems to get worse than the last one as well.

Just my take, and I'm an Apple fan, and enjoy their products. Just think that these things are getting overblown these days.

bionic77

When Apple releases a new product is it usually available in stores the same day?

I am hoping that they release the exchange support and new phone on Monday.

SuperPac

Rewatching the iPhone Software Roadmap conference from a couple months back... the slide behind Steve towards the end says "Ships Late June" for the iPhone 2.0 software. LATE June. So maybe not available on Monday huh. Crapplecakes.

But seriously, in that vid...the AIM app and the enterprise email stuff...quite exciting. Can't wait to see what people've done in the last few months actually using the SDK.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
010218-IMG_0497_400.jpg

MacTalk.com.au posts a photo of a box that was reportedly sent to Australian resellers yesterday. The boxes are sealed with a warning:

SUBJECT TO TERMS OF NDA
DO NOT OPEN UNTIL TUESDAY JUNE 10TH, 2008

June 10th (in Australia) is the day of the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote speech where Steve Jobs is expected to announce the 3G capable iPhone. MacTalk speculates that the box may actually contain a demo model of the 3G iPhone.

Our source believes that the iPhone contained within is for promotional purposes, ie. after it's official unveiling at WWDC next week, the iPhone will go on display with a sign saying 'look how cool I am - you can buy me on this date'.

Its sad that people go to these lengths to try fool people.

Phoenix

bionic77 said:
When Apple releases a new product is it usually available in stores the same day?

I am hoping that they release the exchange support and new phone on Monday.

Depends on the product. In the case of the iPhone it may be available for sale on the 9th. I mean there are cases of Apple product showing up all over the country so you'll be able to buy SOMETHING on the 9th :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
3G iPhone firmware leaked: tri-band HSDPA and GPS are go

It's easy to take for granted the 3G iPhone's launch at this point. After all, Steve said it was "coming later this year," as did a number of prominent mobile executives. And then there's been the barrage of carrier announcements, many in international markets that use UMTS and have zero support for the iPhone as we know it today. But the fact of the matter is we've had very little to go on by way of material evidence -- until now.

We have it from a reliable source that a version of the 3G iPhone's firmware has been released -- possibly for carrier partners currently field-testing the device -- and has since been dissected. While nothing is ever guaranteed, we think we got more than enough information the low-level hardware and drivers that run the device to make some informed conclusions about what we can expect: quad-band GSM support (as we currently have), A-GPS (as we'd already gotten from another source), and tri-band UMTS / HSDPA -- which would make the new iPhone(s) 3G-capable in just about every market in the world. Hardware details after the break. We're through the looking-glass, people!

All the dirty details:

* Infineon PMB6952 / S-GOLD3 six-band UMTS / HSDPA transceiver (as we'd heard)
* Murata LMRX3JCA-479 tri-band amplifier (we're assuming for the 3G)
* Sony SP9T antenna switch for GSM / UMTS dual mode
* ARM 1176JZF-S - Main CPU (same as in 1st gen iPhone)
* Skyworks 77427 chip - UMTS / HSDPA tx 1900MHz, rx 2100MHz
* Skyworks 77414 chip - UMTS / HSDPA 1900MHz
* Skyworks 77413 chip - UMTS / HSDPA 850MHz
* Internal build model number: n82ap (1st gen iPhone was model m68ap)
* UMTS Power Saving option - on or off
* Hooks for Global Locate Library (GLL), software that handles A-GPS related commands for the host processor
Source

Phoenix

The Black Brad Pitt said:
010218-IMG_0497_400.jpg

MacTalk.com.au posts a photo of a box that was reportedly sent to Australian resellers yesterday. The boxes are sealed with a warning:

SUBJECT TO TERMS OF NDA
DO NOT OPEN UNTIL TUESDAY JUNE 10TH, 2008

LOL, Apple has never in its existence under Jobs sent out a product with something so retarded as an "NDA please don't open" sticker on it. You'd have to be a complete moron to even assume that they would send out something like that considering Apple restricts everything to their events. Why the hell would they send out a device to a reviewer when they will be able to get the complete story on Monday as well as have the ability to control the flow of information. Even if you had iPhone, iTablet, OSX Intel in the box there isn't shit you could do with it since there isn't a person there to walk you through the product.

How lame and stupid :lol

Macam

Banned
It still amuses me to no end that Mac rumors are a small industry in of itself and more so that people take a lot of the crap somewhat seriously.

SuperPac

Now that's a credible leak. :O

EDIT: There's a lot of strange inconsistencies in the images. The RED iPhone has no sleep/wake button. To me the speaker/mic/dock port at the bottom look like they're on the *back* of the phone which doesn't make much sense...

Plus why is the word "Exchange" bolded but "iChat. Now showing everywhere" has no bold and is in a smaller typeface.

EDIT x2: Also, why so many pictures of just ONE of the pages of what is obviously a multipage brochure? Is this tipster gonna do like, an update every couple hours with another page?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Futureman said:
How about this for some MEGA speculation...

OS X to be compatible with non-Mac computers?!?

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/06/lack-of-mac-branding-raises-questions/

I like how they ignore half of the facts in order to make their rumour work. Yeah, the Mac name is *probably* being dropped from Mac OS X and .Mac, but that's because the iPhone isn't a Mac and trying to get Windows iPhone users to shell out $99 for a web service that's named after a computer they don't even own is a tricky proposition.

If anything, it's probably more confirmation that Apple are planning to spin OS X out onto even more devices in the future than any indicator of OS X arriving on non-Apple hardware. Once again, the speculators can't see the wood for the trees.

LCfiner

those crunch gear leaks look plausible. of course, any good fake would. the previous leaked (or faked) case designs match up pretty well with these images, although these look a bit more svelte.

I also thought it was strange that the mic and speaker look to be on the back. i remember the ilounge case silhouette shots showing holes for much smaller speaker and mic holes on the bottom of this thinner bezel. if those are right, it would mean the crunch gear shots are using iphone 1 assets for a photoshop job.

heh, these leaks are fun :)

the engadget spec leak, while less sexy than these pics, is certainly promising with the GPS stuff in there. With GPS and the app store, i think there's bee some very cool stuff possible.

Top Bottom