• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

BooJoh

I wasn't expecting any VC games this week, and the WiiWare launch is close to my prediction of 3-5 games, but the actual lineup leaves a lot to be desired imo.

Pretty much what I was afraid would happen with weekly VC-style releases. Time to start watching your most wanted WiiWare games sit completed in unbuyable limbo while card-and-board games fill the weekly quota. >.>

Luigison

WiiRevolution1 said:
i got it!

The Horrible Un-Awsome Week of No Retro Stuff!

Yea...maybe not...or

The Dreaded Virtual Console Disscussion of not discussing new games!

You mean "The Dreaded Virtual Console Discussion of not discussing OLD games!"

So, FF:CC is $15, but then you have to pay even more if you want the other races, right?

I might just try Defend Your Castle, I really dig the art style and the co-op looks like it could be a lot of fun. Not to mention that at $5 bucks that's quite a bargain.

Ranger X

LOW EXPECTATIONS FOR THE WIN AMIRITE?

Ok ok, there's Wiiware launch. I'm happy about that. I thought Toki Tori was a launch title though.

What about My Life As a King? What kind of game it is? Maybe it's worth it?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, back on topic (I guess).

I've never played the original trilogy Ninja Gaiden games.

I remember LOVING the arcade game though (Team Strong... LOL).
Are those anything like that?
The Ninja Gaiden Megadrive game that I had was similar in the way of gameplay and thugs but wasn/t even near in term of finesse, polish and moves pulled (love the air grabs in the arcade game!), the amount of destructible etc.
It wasn't as smooth as well.

I remember the on the SNES a trilogy remake was released, do you think Tecmo could relase it on VC later on (AHAHAHA yeah right)?
Is it worth it to skip the NES games for the SNES ones?
Do the NES game games lack a lot of moves which were in the arcade?

And, last one, is there a proper arcade port on any console and something that is really close ot it (and better then the MD port)?

Fredrik

I demand a title change. We got FOUR games this week in Europe. ;)

Metal Slug
Cho Aniki
Puyo Puyo 2
Break In

Metal Slug runs at 50hz though, which means almost 20% slower game speed. :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
WiiRevolution1 said:
err...I dont see why. I mean we are only getting WiiWare games this week and Nintendo wants to keep the launch titles secret so I dont see why its disturbing, we just probally have to wait to Monday.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the lack of news meant anything bad was going to happen, I just meant that it was disturbing. For the record, I don't think we're going to only get WiiWare games this week... I expect at least one VC release as well.

Nintendo said:
Nintendo’s Wii-kly Update Takes a Week Off

To celebrate today’s launch of the new WiiWare™ downloadable game service for Wii™, there will be no Virtual Console™ games added today. But don’t worry – next week the Wii-kly Update will be back to its regular Monday schedule, bringing Wii owners information about the best classic Virtual Console titles and coolest new WiiWare games.

Edit: Great... the ONE time I reply before finishing a thread....

DavidDayton said:
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the lack of news meant anything bad was going to happen, I just meant that it was disturbing. For the record, I don't think we're going to only get WiiWare games this week... I expect at least one VC release as well.
Erm, you might want to scroll up (or go back a page or two, or whatever). It's confirmed that we aren't getting any VC games this week.

Firestorm

AniHawk said:
Anything they would've released would've been overshadowed by WiiWare anyway. Imagine the uproar if Earthbound had been released and brushed aside Monday.

Hm. I'm surprised Earthbound isn't being released Monday then.

I thought Gyrostarr was a launch game =(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DavidDayton said:
For the record, I don't think we're going to only get WiiWare games this week... I expect at least one VC release as well.
DaBargainHunta said:
Erm, you might want to scroll up (or go back a page or two, or whatever). It's confirmed that we aren't getting any VC games this week.

Sigh... the ONE time I reply before finishing a thread... it never occurred to me that we'd have a PR release -now-.

Grumble.

Now that I think about it...

Nintendo’s Wii-kly Update Takes a Week Off

To celebrate today’s launch of the new WiiWare™ downloadable game service for Wii™, there will be no Virtual Console™ games added today. But don’t worry – next week the Wii-kly Update will be back to its regular Monday schedule, bringing Wii owners information about the best classic Virtual Console titles and coolest new WiiWare games.

EARTHBOUND CONFIRMED?

It is the best vc game as stated by nintendo Power's fans...so maybe...eh probally not but just another wild theory :lol

radcliff

Dash Kappei said:

The Ninja Gaiden Megadrive game that I had was similar in the way of gameplay and thugs but wasn/t even near in term of finesse, polish and moves pulled (love the air grabs in the arcade game!), the amount of destructible etc.

I remember the on the SNES a trilogy remake was released, do you think Tecmo could relase it on VC later on (AHAHAHA yeah right)?

And, last one, is there a proper arcade port on any console and something that is really close ot it (and better then the MD port)?

IIRC, the SNES trilogy was inferior to the NES originals because it removed the scrolling found in the NES games. There were no enhancements to the SNES versions at all.

Meloche

WiiRevolution1 said:
EARTHBOUND CONFIRMED?
That quote was written by the same people who brought you such gems as:

There's one new game for the Virtual Console™ this week - and it's a double. Double Dragon™ is a true action-fighting classic.
March is roaring in like a lion on the Virtual Console™. This might be a goodtime to look back at the massive catalog of classic games and ask yourself ifyou've played them all.

Every week is a great week according to Nintendo PR; so no, I don't think you can read anything into that statement. We could get Earthbound next week though, who knows. We could also get it a year from now as well.

Meloche said:
That quote was written by the same people who brought you such gems as:

Every week is a great week according to Nintendo PR; so no, I don't think you can read anything into that statement. We could get Earthbound next week though, who knows. We could also get it a year from now as well.
:lol

Cheesemeister said:
Yes, that's how you celebrate.

:lol I was thinking the same thing. Celebrate is such an odd term to have used. In celebration of WiiWare, you get no VC games.

Ah, well. At least we are getting games.

Lee N said:
Ok, what the hell.. they're not releasing Dr. Mario? This is inexcusable.

I wasn't surprised about SS:R but no Dr. Mario for launch is rediculous. Just another way NOA fails as usual. I'm impressed though that FFCC and Lost Winds will both be up (but mainly in light of NOA's incompetence)

Somnid

Agent Unknown said:
I wasn't surprised about SS:R but no Dr. Mario for launch is rediculous. Just another way NOA fails as usual. I'm impressed though that FFCC and Lost Winds will both be up (but mainly in light of NOA's incompetence)

It couldn't be because they want to spotlight Wiiware for 3rd parties. Nope, not at all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Agent Unknown said:

I know we're pissed about the VC and all, but aren't we going a bit too far here?

Somnid and schuelma: It's mainly just annoyance. And notice how I tempered my annoyance by saying it's still impressive launch has FFCC and LW? Hmmmmmm? I've been waiting months for Dr. Mario which Japan got for their launch, so I'll be ticked off if I want to.

Anyways, as long as we are having fun with the PR riffing:

"This Wii-kly update we celebrate the spirit of unrequited love as VC takes 'a little time off for itself' to pave the way for Wiiware! So instead of pouting and playing your mixtape of sordid VC memories, why not head over to the Wii Shop channel and expand your personal horizons?"

My fave will always be the "Potato famine" PR.

duffey

Dash Kappei said:

If I remember right, the arcade NG was a side scrolling beat-em-up whereas the NES games are pretty much action/platforming. I like the NES series a whole ton more (even if it is missing the greatest CONTINUE screen ever) but they are all very very hard.

The SNES trilogy probably won't come out but it was definitely inferior. They touched up the graphics a tiny bit but it still looks very much like the NES games.

Dragmire

I didn't know about the Animals de la Muerte game. Looks very cool and possibly fun. And yeah, I'm glad Nintendo is giving third parties the spotlight. This service ain't about another (albeit sweet looking) iteration of Dr. Mario. It's about getting downloadable, original and cheap games for Wii. I'll probably get Dr. Mario at some point, but it wouldn't have been at launch anyway. And I'd hate to see it overshadow stuff like Lost Winds.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Lee N said:
Gyrostarr looks awful[...]

Are you kidding? Gyrostarr looks amazing. It's one of my most anticipated WiiWare titles.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that we're not getting our "Wii-kly" VC update. At least there's Lost Winds to look forward to.

Oh c'mon at new thread title. This thread has been bordering on starmen.net levels of whining recently. And the "it's cool to paint NoA as a bunch of fools. lol we could run this service way better" shtick has been old for some time. Let us not forget that we really don't know what party(ies) is responsible for the slowdown of VC. Is it really just NoA?

I've had a Wii since day one and have likely read every single post in this thread so it's not like I haven't watched the service progress. With the amount of time spent posting in this thread, perhaps someone who really cares that much can actually go out and try to find some answers? I don't rely so much on VC for my gaming fix anymore now that I got other libraries to think about so I'm just watching from the sidelines at this point.

schuelma said:
I know we're pissed about the VC and all, but aren't we going a bit too far here?

Considering that NCL seems to have no problems launching WiiWare whilst still maintaining three or more VC games a week...

yes.

I just downloaded alien crush and was in love for 5 minutes... until I realized it only has one table. Has there been any detailed info on the new one, like... table(s)?

Stumpokapow said:
What makes you so sure that NCL doesn't have anything to do with it? Sure JP is getting more games a week, but hey Japan first right? EU's VC seems to be picking up Steam although there was a time where it seemed even worse off than NA. We all know that NCL calls a lot of the shots, even when it comes to other regions.

Lee N said:
Uh, yeah. No.

Gyrostarr looks awful and I don't want a blackjack game.

Yet you think SS:R "looks hot"? Gyrostarr is definitely worth a look in my opinion, fast paced conduit shooting, slick music and I'm intrigued by the competitive "do I help my friends reach the exit or do I steal their weapons" multiplayer.

btw, what game is your avatar from? Reminds me of a Twinbee character somehow.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Dear Nintendo of Europe,

Earthbound.

Pretty please? With sugar on top? Perhaps, for your troubles, an assortment of jammy dodgers, apple crumble and a cane of Brighton rock as well?

Kind Regards,
Mr Salamander Cataferal Coriander

PS. Square Enix is very fond of you. I think they want you to give them a call, but they're just too shy...

schuelma said:
:lol Someone hasn't been paying attention (or is too quick to forgive and forget).

Just to recall: The VC has been mediocre for the longest time now. I fully understand people being upset at NOA (and not just because of VC).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mr_Furious said:
:lol Someone hasn't been paying attention (or is too quick to forgive and forget).

Just to recall: The VC has been mediocre for the longest time now. I fully understand people being upset at NOA (and not just because of VC).

I think they've been mismanaging things for a while and if they don't fucking release Shining Force 2 soon I might hurt someone...but I mean, incompetent?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Dragona Akehi said:
Considering that NCL seems to have no problems launching WiiWare whilst still maintaining three or more VC games a week...

yes.

So we are going too far? :p

I don't think we're going too far. I loved the VC, but zero games is indeed horrible and un-awesome.

Honestly man this is embarassing.

Next week Nintendo should introduce the "Negative game week" where they pick three games at random and take them off the servers. Then we'll get some PR that'll spin this into something positive.

Are you tired of playing games in Japanese? So are we. And what better way to celebrate our intolerance for foreign languages than by removing Puyo Puyo 2 and DoReMi Fantasy. We're also cracking down on games with broken english so your children's grammatical growth isn't stunted. This means that Alien Soldier and Simon's Quest will be the first to go(others will follow in the coming weeks).

To celebrate Zelda week we've also gotten rid of pretenders to the action-adventure throne. Instead of wasting time playing inferior titles like Beyond Oasis and Landstalker you can focus your time on classics like The Legend of Zelda, The Adventures of Link, and Link to the past!

schuelma said:
I think they've been mismanaging things for a while and if they don't fucking release Shining Force 2 soon I might hurt someone...but I mean, incompetent?
What the hell else do you call it when a company continues to ignore the demands of it's fans (aka consumers)? I say that would qualify as incompetent in my eyes. Zero to one game a week and when we do get something it's nothing anyone cares about? Come on now.

Dragona Akehi said:

yes.

I hate to contradict Dragona (and risk a ban to boot), but I would like to point out that NCL also did not release any Virtual Console titles the week WiiWare launched in Japan. So this week's VC non-releases may be disappointing, but certainly not unexpected. In the overall scheme of things, there are more valid things to complain about IMO - like the lack of Ys: Book I & II. :p NOA has only themselves to blame for the thread title.

Top Bottom