• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Dragmire said:
I hate Square Enix. Seems like a backward minded business decision if I've ever seen one. Profit is profit. People want the games. I don't see the problem. Charge 2000 points if you have to. Just give your customers the opportunity to pay you and receive your product for christ's sake.

Precisely.

Just charge more money.

What's the big deal? Release your DS version for 40 bucks, and dump the damned rom and charge 15 or 20 for it.

They're just leaving money on the table.

They won't release remakes of Chrono or Secret of Mana anyway. So their posturing is all for naught.

Amir0x

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Precisely.

Just charge more money.

What's the big deal? Release your DS version for 40 bucks, and dump the damned rom and charge 15 or 20 for it.

They're just leaving money on the table.

Nintendo won't allow them to do that. Then other publishers will ask why they can't charge significantly more for their products, which they may deem are 'stronger' properties. Then pricing would go all over the place, making VC worse than it already is.

Nintendo allows to charge somewhat more for special titles or import titles (600 points instead of 500 for an NES game, 900 points instead of 800 points for a SNES game), but it is only like 1 dollar or two more.

Amir0x said:
Nintendo won't allow them to do that. Then other publishers will ask why they can't charge significantly more for their products, which they may deem are 'stronger' properties. Then pricing would go all over the place, making VC worse than it already is.

Nintendo allows to charge somewhat more for special titles or import titles (600 points instead of 500 for an NES game, 900 points instead of 800 points for a SNES game), but it is only like 1 dollar or two more.

Oh, is that a Nintendo mandated thing?

Well, that's understandable on SE's part then. I think there should be some exceptions in the pricing structure. There's a lot more value in a 20-30 hour RPG than an action title that you'll play for a couple of hours like Final Fight or Gradius III. Pricing should reflect that.

Amir0x said:
It makes perfect sense from a business perspective. They're used to re-releasing their old IPs over and over, with little-to-no effort required... for full prices.

Look at what they did for FFI and FFII on PSP. Or the GBA games.

If they were on Wii, they'd be $5 or $8 respectively - or, even if it was one of the 'special' games which are higher priced, $6 and $9.

This devalues IPs that are still holding strong and selling, despite being overvalued low effort cash-ins. "If I can buy this on virtual console for $6, why the fuck would I pay $20?"
Yeah, the FFs and maybe even a game like Chrono Trigger will get the DS treatment along with every possible DQ game. However, do you think games like Actraiser 2, Soul Blazer trilogy, or any old Enix game like Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen would warrant DS remakes each or be worth being ported in some kind of $30 package? It's titles like these, Terranigma in particular, that make me wonder if this is just BS on Squeenix's part not to bother with the VC.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think we should be talking about allowing Nintendo to give publishers the freedom to charge more for VC games, which are already priced too high :p

VeritasVierge said:
However, do you think games like Actraiser 2, Soul Blazer trilogy, or any old Enix game like Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen would warrant DS remakes each or be worth being ported in some kind of $30 package? It's titles like these, Terranigma in particular, that make me wonder if this is just BS on Squeenix's part not to bother with the VC.

Not at all, but... we already have ActRaiser. It's clear they are specifically referring to their high roller IPs, in my view.

Amir0x said:
I don't think we should be talking about allowing Nintendo to give publishers the freedom to charge more for VC games, which are already priced too high :p

Well, if it comes between either getting the game for a higher price or not getting the game at all, I think I'd rather choose the former.

On that note, most of the games on the VC should be priced lower than they are(with a few exceptions), but that's a horse that's already been beaten to death.

Amir0x

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Well, if it comes between either getting the game for a higher price or not getting the game at all, I think I'd rather choose the former.

On that note, most of the games on the VC should be priced lower than they are(with a few exceptions), but that's a horse that's already been beaten to death.

Not me. If you want the game at those higher prices, just purchase one of the many alternative versions. There's like fifty different versions of every FF game now.

Amir0x said:
Not me. If you want the game at those higher prices, just purchase one of the many alternative versions. There's like fifty different versions of every FF game now.

That's true, but I was referring to the lesser-tier titles like Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and Secret of Mana. Games that I doubt they'll bother to re-release at all.

I own all of the original SNES carts, but it would be nice to be able to play them on the Wii, as I don't keep my older systems hooked up anymore.

Amir0x

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
That's true, but I was referring to the lesser-tier titles like Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and Secret of Mana. Games that I doubt they'll bother to re-release at all.

I own all of the original SNES carts, but it would be nice to be able to play them on the Wii, as I don't keep my older systems hooked up anymore.

I doubt they consider those lesser-tier by any measure, at least in terms of how they'd like to leverage the brands in the future.

And, Super Mario RPG was rated by the ESRB... I'm sure releasing it won't be so hard for them, considering the connection to Nintendo. It's not really theirs to just re-release in the first place, so VC is the most logical home for that specific title.

Dragmire

Amir0x said:
It makes perfect sense from a business perspective. They're used to re-releasing their old IPs over and over, with little-to-no effort required... for full prices.

Look at what they did for FFI and FFII on PSP. Or the GBA games.

If they were on Wii, they'd be $5 or $8 respectively - or, even if it was one of the 'special' games which are higher priced, $6 and $9.

This devalues IPs that are still holding strong and selling, despite being overvalued low effort cash-ins. "If I can buy this on virtual console for $6, why the fuck would I pay $20?"
I don't think it's that simple. There are some things we don't know that might mean more long-term profit for a downloadable game than a retail game. Where does the profit go for Virtual Console games? Does Nintendo get a cut and if so, what percentage? Virtual Console games have the benefit of being consistently available (whereas retail games are on store shelves for limited periods of time with less consistency, giving it greater risk if it doesn't sell well), and being downloadable, there's no cost for packaging, shipping, or retailers.

I'm sure it's profitable overall for Sega and Hudson, considering the amount of games from Genesis and TGFX16 they've put on the service, but Square obviously wouldn't be putting that many games up. For them, it would be more akin to Sega putting the Sonic series on Virtual Console, which I imagine is good source of profit for them. Likewise, I wonder how much profit publishers end up with for retail games. How much profit does Square make on a $40 DS game?

Square might be making a sound business move, but I can't help but thinking it's stubbornness towards a newer business model.

Exactly, it's not a matter of where or how they release it, it's a matter of *if* they release it at all.

People just want to legally play the game, and not have to pull out their dusty yellow SNES's in order to do so.

Jiggy

May or may not get Star Soldier R on Monday. As much as I love Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade and think they're two of the best values on VC, period, they actually contain--you know--full games instead of just the two-minute and five-minute modes, and that's despite the fact that each one is also less expensive. :( May still buy just to support the series, but--yeah, we'll see. Now where are my Final Soldier and Star Parodier already?

Oh, that's right. Hudson's clearly got them ready to go since Europe and Japan have them, but, nonetheless, here in Americaland they're hanging around somewhere between the districts of Two Mondays Away and its distant cousin Months Down the Line, because VC looks like it's still going for one-game weeks. Yay Nintendo, you're so awesome. :| Eesh. They're pretty lucky that I'm not about to go anywhere since 360 and PS3 hold even less appeal to me than Wii does--and that's really saying something since, until WiiWare starts getting more releases, more than 95% of Wii's appeal to me is, you know, actually the amalgamated ancestral appeal of NES, Master System, TG16, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo, and N64.

On another note, and in defense of even NOA's handling of VC for once, I never understood why people think its prices are too high. Since launch I've averaged $6.94 per game (or $6.81 if I count the gifts I've received), and a majority of the best gaming I had in 2007 was on VC.

Honestly, even here in 2008, when NOA is gumming up the works with its absurd slowed-down schedule, I've had a chance to revisit Star Tropics and revisit Super Turrican--and over on the new side of things, I've gotten to play Adventures of Lolo 2, Lords of Thunder, DoReMi Fantasy, Fantasy Zone, Mega Turrican, and River City Ransom. Lolo is now my second favorite top-down puzzle game, Lords is now my favorite horizontal shooter, and DoReMi is now my third favorite pure platformer. Fantasy Zone is decent enough, Mega Turrican is neither better nor worse than Super Turrican (which was good), and RCR is a good game--not a great one, but it deserves its cult classic status due to its charm. In any case, that's only $53 total, which is basically the same amount I'd pay for a single full-price retail game after tax, and I liked my combination of eight games quite a bit. A whole lot moreso than if I had spent that same money on (for example) Mario Kart Wii, which I had a chance to play over the Mother's Day weekend and thought was pretty junky.

The only people who I think can justifiably complain about VC prices being too high are those who are more interested in how much effort went into making a game available than how much fun they'll have with it--which I think is a seriously strange position to hold in the first place, but nonetheless many people hold it. (As for me, I'd take Tetris, Meteos, Puzzle Quest, Yosumin, or any number of other small-team puzzle games over Grand Theft Anything or post-IX Final Fantasy games any day.) And I guess there are also the people who want physical copies no matter what.

Jiggy

Blueblur1 said:
So I just downloaded the N64 Yoshi game and um.. yeah. I remembered it being a whole lot better than it actually is. I should have downloaded Lost Winds instead.
In fairness, I think LostWinds itself is somehow being perceived by first-timers as a whole lot better than it actually is. :p DoReMi Fantasy would have been an excellent use of the points instead of Yoshi's Story, though. :(

TheGrayGhost said:
I want to play the greatest game ever made again (SMB3). But I can't decide if I should buy the VC release of the original or the updated GBA one? I would like some suggestions, please.
The NES game has a more appealing aesthetic, as has been said, but overall GBA would be my pick. I prefer portability, and it's much easier to revisit any world or level you want in the GBA version.

pswii60 said:
What's happened to VC? It's gone from full of win and awesome to complete and utter tumbleweed.

Is WiiWare to blame? Nintendo shifting focus?
That seems highly unlikely to me, seeing as VC is still full of win and awesome over in Japan and Europe. And I don't see how they could possibly "shift focus" anyway; it's not like VC is significantly taking away from Nintendo's resources, since all they're doing is testing for bugs and writing instruction manuals.

SonicMegaDrive said:
So the WiiWare releases are definitely going to be cutting into the VC releases.

Predictable, Nintendo.
It would be predictable for Nintendo of America, anyway. :/ With that said, we don't know for sure if WiiWare is cutting into VC. Remember, the VC release schedule was already sucking wind for months before WiiWare.

Dragmire said:
There are some things we don't know that might mean more long-term profit for a downloadable game than a retail game. Where does the profit go for Virtual Console games? Does Nintendo get a cut and if so, what percentage? Virtual Console games have the benefit of being consistently available (whereas retail games are on store shelves for limited periods of time with less consistency, giving it greater risk if it doesn't sell well), and being downloadable, there's no cost for packaging, shipping, or retailers.
Can't answer the percentage question other than to say "a larger percentage than they do for WiiWare sales," but yes, Nintendo gets a cut.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/080425qa/04.html
Tell us about the download distribution business status of WiiWare and Virtual Console. Please also briefly explain the business model of download distribution and existing packaged software as they must have different business structures and profitability scales.

Iwata:

The total sales for the fiscal year just ended from Virtual Console and WiiWare, whose service started near the end of the term and were very limited in sales, was 7.8 billion yen. I really cannot tell how this past year sales will evolve in the future. I personally feel that they have the potential to explode sometime in the future, but it is rather difficult to predict when the tipping point will happen. Since there are no inventory risks for WiiWare and Virtual Console, I believe that the business efficiency will get better as soon as the services gain momentum.

For your information, the business relationships between us and software manufacturers for Virtual Console and WiiWare are very different. As for Virtual Console, Nintendo manages the process to make third party software ready for the download sales at Nintendo’s own business risks. This is because when we started the service, the future prospect of download sales on Wii hardware was totally unknown. Since Nintendo is shouldering a large portion of the business risks, we are also receiving proportionally larger margins.

In case of WiiWare, all the development risks are absorbed by our software manufacturers. They shoulder the development risks for themselves, they submit the software to the rating board for the appropriate rating to be determined, and they handle their marketing. Accordingly, the software makers’ margins are bigger. We are not in a position to disclose the margins as part of the contracts, but I just wanted to bring up this clear difference between Virtual Console and WiiWare.
In any case, like you, I wonder how much profit a company makes on a sale of a retail title.

mollipen

Jiggy37 said:
May or may not get Star Soldier R on Monday. As much as I love Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade and think they're two of the best values on VC, period, they actually contain--you know--full games instead of just the two-minute and five-minute modes, and that's despite the fact that each one is also less expensive.

Pac-Man CE isn't a "full" game compared to Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-man, etc., and yet it's far and away the best of the series.

I mean, I understand your point, but at the same time think it isn't fair to criticize it for not being a "full game."

IMO, it IS WiiWare. I'm just guessing that NoA chose to limit VC releases to get people to spend more for WiiWare. When WiiWare releases slow down, I'm guessing VC quality will pick up.

Jiggy

Scenester said:
any word on Earthbound? :(((((

from the sounds of things VC has gone to the dogs
Shockingly enough, yes. It was ESRB-rated in the past couple of weeks.

shidoshi said:
Pac-Man CE isn't a "full" game compared to Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-man, etc., and yet it's far and away the best of the series.

I mean, I understand your point, but at the same time think it isn't fair to criticize it for not being a "full game."
I'm not criticizing it much; I may (or may not) even buy it in the end, as I said. (And I have intentions to buy Pac-Man CE when I get a 360, for that matter.) But unless SSR has done some truly amazing things with the scoring system or with powerups, Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade still offer better value.

A Link to the Snitch said:
IMO, it IS WiiWare. I'm just guessing that NoA chose to limit VC releases to get people to spend more for WiiWare. When WiiWare releases slow down, I'm guessing VC quality will pick up.
Perhaps NOA's attempt at a devious plan was to slow down VC releases months ahead of time so that, when they kept the VC releases slow due to WiiWare being around, nobody would know the difference.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
shidoshi said:

Yeah, but the previous Star Soldier games were "full" (for a lack of a better term) games, with finite unique levels, and an ending. The original Pac-Man just repeated the same maze infinitely with reduced Power Pellet potency each time, so Pac-Man CE wasn't that different. Star Soldier R is turning a linear game with unique levels into a purely points-based affair. The original Star Soldier games offered the basic gameplay concept of Star Soldier R (time-limited score runs) as a bonus option on the title screen.

Farnack

Banned
What's up with the title?

Do they really abandon VC because of WiiWare?

I do suppose it is like Nintendo to abandon one thing for something that has greater profitability.

JaseMath

Somnid said:
SkyKid.gif

StarSoldierR.gif

CritterRoundup.gif

This was all I could find. I was very thorough.
What...? Jesus, I bought a Wii in part for the VC...fuck. Come the fuck on, Nintendo. C'mon!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Farnack said:

I do suppose it is like Nintendo to abandon one thing for something that has greater profitability.
They had one week with no games, which coincided with the six-game launch of the Wii Ware service.

As freaking usual, everybody in this thread overreacted.

Jiggy

Farnack said:

Respectively:

1) May 12th had zero VC releases.

2) No. Apparently there's a VC game coming on Monday. Still only one, which sucks horribly, but eh, can't call it full abandonment. And, like I was saying earlier, NOA mostly abandoned VC several months ago, so I wouldn't say it's due to WiiWare. Whatever the reason is, though, I'm pretty sure it's dumb. :(

3) Nintendo gets a larger cut of each VC sale than each WiiWare sale. But it's possible--perhaps even probable--that WiiWare might sell a larger number of games period and justify itself that way, so we'll see how things pan out.

Shadowlink123 said:
Kirby Superstar and Super Mario RPG, weren't they listed to come out Last year,
Can't say much about SMRPG, but Kirby Super Star is getting a port on DS. Or possibly a remake. Nobody knows, really, considering that we haven't heard anything other than its name and less than a handful of screenshots, all released on October 10th last year. Apparently Nintendo consists of hordes of ninjas and double agents and they're too secretive to release information, or some such. :/

TheGrayGhost said:
I want to play the greatest game ever made again (SMB3). But I can't decide if I should buy the VC release of the original or the updated GBA one? I would like some suggestions, please.
If it's the greatest ever, will a few extra bucks for two slightly different versions be wasted? Speaking as someone with both VC and GBA versions of Super Mario World and River City Ransom, I don't feel I've wasted.

batbeg

TheGrayGhost said:

I'm with JoshuaJSlone, get both. I much prefer the VC version but portability never hurt anyone, and it gives you options in case you don't like using the Wii Remote or anything like that.

lupin23rd

If the two MSX games show up this month, Japan gets 9 games this month including Gun Hazard (Front Mission "2") and a Goemon game.

I hope we haven't given up on the Japanese VC yet, I'm about to pick up a Japanese Wii :D

Jiggy37 said:
In fairness, I think LostWinds itself is somehow being perceived by first-timers as a whole lot better than it actually is. :p DoReMi Fantasy would have been an excellent use of the points instead of Yoshi's Story, though. :(
Yoshi's Story was pretty much panned when it first released. There was no honeymoon cruise. Essentially this guy failed to look up any reviews or he would have realized it is very mediocre and not recommended.

Jiggy37 said:
On another note, and in defense of even NOA's handling of VC for once, I never understood why people think its prices are too high. Since launch I've averaged $6.94 per game (or $6.81 if I count the gifts I've received), and a majority of the best gaming I had in 2007 was on VC.

Honestly, even here in 2008, when NOA is gumming up the works with its absurd slowed-down schedule, I've had a chance to revisit Star Tropics and revisit Super Turrican--and over on the new side of things, I've gotten to play Adventures of Lolo 2, Lords of Thunder, DoReMi Fantasy, Fantasy Zone, Mega Turrican, and River City Ransom. Lolo is now my second favorite top-down puzzle game, Lords is now my favorite horizontal shooter, and DoReMi is now my third favorite pure platformer. Fantasy Zone is decent enough, Mega Turrican is neither better nor worse than Super Turrican (which was good), and RCR is a good game--not a great one, but it deserves its cult classic status due to its charm. In any case, that's only $53 total, which is basically the same amount I'd pay for a single full-price retail game after tax, and I liked my combination of eight games quite a bit. A whole lot moreso than if I had spent that same money on (for example) Mario Kart Wii, which I had a chance to play over the Mother's Day weekend and thought was pretty junky.

The only people who I think can justifiably complain about VC prices being too high are those who are more interested in how much effort went into making a game available than how much fun they'll have with it--which I think is a seriously strange position to hold in the first place, but nonetheless many people hold it. (As for me, I'd take Tetris, Meteos, Puzzle Quest, Yosumin, or any number of other small-team puzzle games over Grand Theft Anything or post-IX Final Fantasy games any day.) And I guess there are also the people who want physical copies no matter what.
As you note, the price is good for the best games available. However they are a bit high for the average/mediocre games and honestly crap like Bad Street Brawler or Tennis should never have cost anyone anything in the first place.

Furthermore the pricing per system is indeed a low value proposition ("too high") compared to the downloads offered on competitor systems. For example, Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic are $5 on XBLA and even offer additional effort like achievements and online play (which works very poorly but at least there was an attempt). And original Playstation games are $6 (sometimes $8) on PSN, the same price Nintendo charges for TurboGraphix-16 games and less than they charge for Genesis and SNES games.

Finally they have now started to pull crap like charging an extra $2 for Sin and Punishment even though it was translated nearly a decade ago or an extra dollar for Do Re Mi Fantasy despite it not being translated at all.

Amir0x

Banned
Metal Gear?! said:
Furthermore the pricing per system is indeed a low value proposition ("too high") compared to the downloads offered on competitor systems. For example, Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic are $5 on XBLA and even offer additional effort like achievements and online play (which works very poorly but at least there was an attempt). And original Playstation games are $6 (sometimes $8) on PSN, the same price Nintendo charges for TurboGraphix-16 games and less than they charge for Genesis and SNES games.

Finally they have now started to pull crap like charging an extra $2 for Sin and Punishment even though it was translated nearly a decade ago or an extra dollar for Do Re Mi Fantasy despite it not being translated at all.

Bingo. The central argument: Their competitors offer games from previous systems which are significantly higher value propositions, and that's WITH added effort sometimes which make revisiting these past games even better.

DoReMi, for example, cost me $9 bucks. But why the fuck did it cost me that? They didn't even bother translating anything!

TheGrayGhost said:
I think I agree with you on the aesthetic, but the supposedly "substantially" superior sound of the GBA update is swaying me.

If by "superior" you mean "filled with Charles Martinet voice clips that will make you want to kill yourself," I highly encourage playing the GBA version.

Jiggy37 said:
On another note, and in defense of even NOA's handling of VC for once, I never understood why people think its prices are too high.

Because the current pricing structure encourages selecting a few specific titles that you're pretty certain you'll want to play and buying those, rather than experimenting with more uncertain titles. In almost all circumstances, I'd buy two fairly interesting SNES games for $5 where I'd buy one for $8; that'd be more cash for Nintendo and more games for me, so it seems to me that everyone would win.

(Nintendo's stance is probably that those who buy VC titles are either "I just want Mario" dabblers or crazy people like you who buy everything, neither of whom would be likely to buy more games if prices were lowered. Maybe!)

celebi23

Somnid said:
SkyKid.gif

StarSoldierR.gif

CritterRoundup.gif

This was all I could find. I was very thorough.

Was wondering how you found those pics? I've tried the WiiShop FireFox trick & can't get past the first page. Seems that they've updated the useragent string.

jarrod

Banned
VC pricepoints are cheaper than the used market in the vast majority of cases... if you're talking value proposition, you should really compare like with like.

If you're pissed about a whopping 5 Genesis games being $3-4 cheaper on XBLA versus the 50+ Genesis games on VC, that's actually an issue you'd need to take up with SEGA. Personally, I'm a little more peeved they're $2-3 more than they are in Japan myself.

NeonZ

Sin&Punishment has extra translation credits in the user guide, so I doubt it was translated "a decade ago". They translated the tutorial, menus and the ending (in-game VA was in English, so they left the Japanese subtitles alone).

Capndrake

celebi23 said:
Was wondering how you found those pics? I've tried the WiiShop FireFox trick & can't get past the first page. Seems that they've updated the useragent string.
All pictures (For all regions, all systems, etc.) are hosted online and have their own URLs. For example, here is that Sky Kid picture (Can only be viewed with IE, not Firefox).

RedBoot

NeonZ said:
Sin&Punishment has extra translation credits in the user guide, so I doubt it was translated "a decade ago". They translated the tutorial, menus and the ending (in-game VA was in English, so they left the Japanese subtitles alone).

Sin and Punishment was actually planned for a US release back in the later days of the N64, but it got canceled due to dwindling N64 sales (Conker). Most people believe that Nintendo had a mostly translated version of the game back then, and that they released that version on the VC.

Even then, I don't mind the extra 200 points on that one, since effort was made to translate it, even if it occurred a long time ago. For games like Doremi that have absolutely no translation, it makes no sense to pay extra.

(Of course, I bought Doremi anyway, but that's beside the point)

Are we still arguing over the whole wah wah S&P was $2 extra? :lol

Man that takes me back.

*shudders*

Nintendo prolly thought everyone would be too over the moon that they're finally doing something the fans asked for and wouldn't notice they're charging you for it.

Gawd I hope Earthbound gets release for like 1000 points or something, that would be fucking hilarious. :lol

RedBoot said:
Even then, I don't mind the extra 200 points on that one, since effort was made to translate it, even if it occurred a long time ago. For games like Doremi that have absolutely no translation, it makes no sense to pay extra.

(Of course, I bought Doremi anyway, but that's beside the point)
I just assumed it was a supply/demand thing. Donkey Kong Country is old hat and easy to get ahold of in North America in its old form. Sin & Punishment and DoReMi Fantasy are new to the audience and less easy to get ahold of in their old forms.

Metal Gear?! said:
Not to be a VC apologist but there really is a paramount difference between the overall playability between many classic titles that are available on both XBLA and VC. I launched the Sonic 1 demo on XBLA the other day and it seemed immediately off, soundwise in particular. I can't imagine how frustrating SoR 2 would be to play with the 360 D-pad.

For games that are 15 years old, I would say it's odd that the playing (controls, flow) experience can actually turn out to be WORSE when played over XBLA in comparison to the original console. The pricing for VC is definitely high but it's hard to make an argument for extra value for XBLA titles when the core gameplay has taken a turn towards broken and/or incredibly frustrating. Good on MS for supporting retro gaming, but really they've accomplished nothing magical here.

Quick question:
If I buy a VC game and transfer to a SD card, can I load that game on another system? And I don't mean making two copies of the game. Just permanently moving it over.

My brother in law has a Wii, but not a wireless network (or any easy way to setup something for the Wii). I'd like to buy him a few Virtual Console games for Christmas or something, but gifting won't work (due to lack of Wii internet access), and such..

Brak

Biglesworth23 said:
Quick question:
If I buy a VC game and transfer to a SD card, can I load that game on another system? And I don't mean making two copies of the game. Just permanently moving it over.

My brother in law has a Wii, but not a wireless network (or any easy way to setup something for the Wii). I'd like to buy him a few Virtual Console games for Christmas or something, but gifting won't work (due to lack of Wii internet access), and such..
Nah, games are tied to the system.

The easiest way might be to bring his Wii to your house to use your wireless. I suppose that might not be an option though.

Brak said:
Nah, games are tied to the system.

The easiest way might be to bring his Wii to your house to use your wireless. I suppose that might not be an option though.

Eh, it's possible, but would be a pain in the arse. Maybe I'll just convince him to buy the ethernet adapter and a 50 ft ethernet cable. :D

Jiggy

Before I get into my replies, I want to say one thing. Taking a look in the WiiWare thread, which is in its infancy, there are a moderate number of people (who I'm guessing are either rich or just the most enthusiastic of enthusiasts anywhere on GAF) stating that they'd have paid $30 or even retail price for LostWinds. That's three times as much money as LostWinds actually costs--and this is a game that's over in less than two and a half hours and has no replay value in the least.

But here, in this 438-page thread, you might search through the entire thing and only find a slightly greater number of people claiming that VC is by and large a fantastic deal. (And I'm pretty sure you won't find anybody saying they'd pay three times the price--which would be ridiculous.) Even the people who buy up dozens of games or say that VC is one of their top five favorite things about Wii generally just tolerate the pricing rather than openly defend it. Count me on the defense side for the pricing, despite how much flak I give to NOA for every other way they've mismanaged VC so far, but I do think this difference is pretty strange.

Metal Gear?! said:
As you note, the price is good for the best games available. However they are a bit high for the average/mediocre games and honestly crap like Bad Street Brawler or Tennis should never have cost anyone anything in the first place.
Which is how things operate with any pricing system, retail games or otherwise. Zack & Wiki and Geometry Wars Galaxies were seen as good deals at $40, while Carnival Games is seen as a ripoff for the same price. (At least on GAF. I'm fully aware of the depressing sales figures.) Metroid Prime 3 was seen as a solid value at $50; Sega Superstars Tennis not so much. But there's no outcry that Z&W, Geometry Wars, and Metroid are too expensive just because they carry the same price point as other games that aren't so well received. And likewise I don't take issue with the fact that some VC games aren't worth five cents to me while others are well worth eight dollars.

I haven't played SoR2 and Sonic on XBLA, but even assuming the emulation is perfect and they play equally as well on 360 as on Wii (and EphemeralDream was just suggesting that at the very least Sonic doesn't), they're still outliers that don't build up any significant case. A large majority of games that a person can buy on VC aren't available on XBLA or PSN for a cheaper price, so there's no real basis for comparison.

As for PS1 games being a better value proposition than Genesis and SNES games: all three systems are frequently seen as ranking among the best that the gaming industry has ever had. So I'll concede that point, or at least half-concede it. I can understand (won't say "agree with") how someone could see the PS1 games on PSN as a superior value, but at the same time SNES and Genesis were so beloved that many others would say they still hold up as the superior value on VC despite costing more in raw dollars.

No defense on this one either, but as with Streets and Sonic, this criticism applies to a really, really limited number of games and doesn't reflect much on VC as a whole.

Incidentally, I do want to reiterate something I said earlier: I can see how those looking primarily at the amount of effort on the publishing and development ends would think VC is overpriced. (The level of publisher/developer effort matters nothing to me, though, but not begrudging those who think otherwise.) They can complain all day every day; they're at least consistent, and I don't particularly question that line of reasoning. I'm mostly baffled by those who know they would get $20 of fun out of a good SNES game, or $15 of fun out of a good TG16 game, etc., but nonetheless criticize VC pricing in a blanket fashion.

charlequin said:
Because the current pricing structure encourages selecting a few specific titles that you're pretty certain you'll want to play and buying those, rather than experimenting with more uncertain titles. In almost all circumstances, I'd buy two fairly interesting SNES games for $5 where I'd buy one for $8; that'd be more cash for Nintendo and more games for me, so it seems to me that everyone would win.

(Nintendo's stance is probably that those who buy VC titles are either "I just want Mario" dabblers or crazy people like you who buy everything, neither of whom would be likely to buy more games if prices were lowered. Maybe!)
This is actually an interesting point that I hadn't considered until you mentioned it, and I do like the idea of encouraging experimentation. (Which is just one reason I'd frequently rather buy seven games on VC than one Wii disc at retail.)

Even so, I don't think we could have a hypothetical situation where the prices were lower while everything else would remain the same. If individual games carried lower prices, there would be less incentive for third-party publishers to get their games' emulation working; there's nothing to say that VC would still have as many offerings as it does. Retro games available on PSN or XBLA may be cheaper individually than most VC titles, but there's no comparison in the least between the size of the game libraries on those services and that of VC. (As much as I lambast Nintendo for the slowed schedule, it's still a step up from that of their competitors--and that's true even though a significant number of games have already been put out.) That gives me cause to wonder how much of the reason behind why can be attributed to the differing amount of returns a publisher would get per sale.

And, as with Metal Gear's arguments, what you're saying could apply to most pricing systems. I might buy two "fairly interesting" Wii discs for $30 where I'd buy zero for $50, but I wouldn't suggest that all retail games should be $30 just because the prices are prohibitive to experimentation. For that matter, some Wii games actually have been $30, like Resident Evil 4, Endless Ocean, and Pinball Hall of Fame--or Mercury Meltdown Revolution, which undercut even those and released for $20. But I still wouldn't say that consequently all retail games should be $30 or less.

Luigison

Biglesworth23 said:
Eh, it's possible, but would be a pain in the arse. Maybe I'll just convince him to buy the ethernet adapter and a 50 ft ethernet cable. :D
That's what we did with my brother's Xbox, but the Nintendo USB doggle may be an easier fix in this situation.

Top Bottom