• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I hope the virtual console releases stay somewhat consistently good this holiday. Otherwise there really isn't anything for me to play on the Wii for the rest of the year :(

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'd have been pissed if it was the NES Gradius II. $4 extra for an NES game?

The NES one should be $6, not $9, of course, yes.

FFantasyFX said:
I wasn't aware that it wasn't released in Japan . . . bad assumption on my part. Yeah, the unreleased Panel de Pon 64 would be more likely, but I doubt either is released.

Yeah, PPL is a modified port of an unreleased game. It may seem kind of odd, but it's not that strange really... it is true that the N64 was a lot more successful here than in Japan.

Yes, the October release will be the Turbo CD version of the game. Japan received the Famicom Gradius II before the Turbo CD version though. Hudson has just been much more proactive with import titles. I'm a bit surprised that we haven't gotten more Famicom imports - there are quite a few games that can be brought over here with very few issues. I don't hold out much hope for the West getting the Famicom Gradius II - NoA & NoE seem pretty reluctant to release multiple versions of the same game outside the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island/Monster World strain of games.

Yeah, definitely... Hudson has done a much, much better job with releasing imports (for the TG-16) than Nintendo has for its platforms, that's for sure. Something like Gradius II should have been an obvious release a long time ago, particularly because the Japanese version has been out for some time... it would make more sense to release the NES version first, given that it came out years before the TG-16 version.

Actually, that's part of why I probably find it more impressive than the TG-16 one... the NES version came out years earlier, while TG-16 Gradius II came out well AFTER Gradius III on the SNES, while not having anywhere near as many added features as that game -- no Edit mode for ship configuration, no added weapon options like the Formation Option or Shrink weapon like SNES Gradius II, etc... it feels archaic in comparison, really. I know it's a port of an older game, but coming out after Gradius III, it should have added more weapon options, like Gradius III had... but no, it's simply "choose one of these four types". Kind of disappointing. But maybe it's just that I loved the new options in Gradius III... :)

Anyway, Gradius II is a great, great game, absolutely worth buying.

Course the 7th gauge might have been nice. That aside, the weapon bar that included the spread bomb and the standard laser always served me well in Gradius II.

Nuclear Muffin said:
SG is already emulated on VC, Lords of Thunder is a SGCD game.

You're confusing the Supergrafx, which was a stand alone card based system that only saw 4 or 5 releases, with the super CD, which was an upgraded bios card for the Turbo CD player.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DavidDayton said:
However, formatting doesn't delete your Wii Shop account. You can still go to the Wii Shopping channel and redownload your purchased games. Unless you use the Wii Shop channel's "Delete Account" function, that doesn't change.

I'm about 96% sure of this... I formatted my system eons ago to fix a problem, and that didn't destroy my ability to download games I had purchased.

I'll back you up on this, I've said it already like a billion times and I'm sure somene else did as weel but no one seems to remember ever :)

Formatting your Wii DOES NOT DELETE your Wii Shop account ticket stored in the account, thus you can download again every game tied to said account to your Wii again; however, you CANNOT copy back the games you've previously stored in the SD card(s), so you just need to download every single one of them again.

100% Sure.

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
I hope the virtual console releases stay somewhat consistently good this holiday. Otherwise there really isn't anything for me to play on the Wii for the rest of the year :(
I have one upcoming Wii retail game to "play," but right now I believe there's about an 89% chance that at least 51% of my fun with that game will come from ripping it to shreds on NeoGAF afterward. Yay catharsis, I guess?

Fortunately, WiiWare still has Bomberman Blast coming, and World of Goo if that's ever released. I'm certainly not expecting Shantae or Adventure Island this year, but oh well. As long as I own my DSes, anything else this gen is like sprinkles upon ice cream--or something. Or jimmies, if you're an east coaster.

ElFly

CreatureX3 said:
Supergrafx G'nG > Genesis G'nG

The Genesis version is more colorful, but the Supergrafx version has better animation, graphics and music.

I may double dip if they ever release it here.

Anybody know what's going up tomorrow?

CreatureX3 said:
Supergrafx G'nG > Genesis G'nG

The Genesis version is more colorful, but the Supergrafx version has better animation, graphics and music.

How is this possible? Doesn't the SGX have like 4x the colour palette?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The VC bail out package coming Monday at 12:00 PM Eastern shall be glorious.

I have absolutely no idea of what is coming out, so don't ask. Even if it is Secret of Mana, I don't know anything about it. Seriously.

Azure J

A Link to the Snitch said:
StarTropics needs to come to Japan.

Agreed. The more fans we can muster up, the better. Plus no one should go their entire gaming career without experiencing Nintendo hard at it's finest. :lol

Azure J

Man God said:
Startropics is pretty easy.

Startropics II can die in a fire though, it's really not that good.

D:

I only recently found out that there was a rabid hate for StarTropics II. Isn't that funny? I didn't think it was terrible, hell I thought it was on par with/exceeded 1 gameplay wise (YoYo vs. Bladed Weapons argument aside because Supernova kicks all kinds of ass). The only qualms I have with 2 are a few quirks in the storyline.

Ending out of nowhere anyone? The star childrens' planet was dead, how did they all just up and leave saying they'd rebuild it all?

DuckRacer

I only recently checked the VC for the first time in many months... what's with the lack of N64 games? I kinda wish they'd put up DK64 or something...

Twig

Banned
StarTropics is really just kind of not good. I'd heard ST2 was where it got good. And now I see the complete opposite in the last few posts? Suddenly I have absolutely no desire to either finish ST1 or buy ST2.

Oh well. Saves me five bucks for something else.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Startropics is a "you just had to be there" type of title. I can't really see many people getting into it coming fresh off of a modern action/adventure title.

It's Zelda with yo-yo's and platforming and mainly linear levels. The original Zelda.

ST2 is more of the same but with height based platforming and slightly wonkier controls. It's also one of the very last NES games and it has an even worse story than the original.

As to the post about N64 games it looks like we'll probably get Mario Golf 64 this week. MG 64 is a legendary title, but I prefer Tennis.

What I'm jonesing for are some third party N64 games. I'd be a happy Man God if only HM 64, OB 64, and Bomberman 64 came out.

I found copies of StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge in a local store a month or so ago (for $3.50 for the both of them), and found to my surprise that both actually had working batteries, so of course I started playing the first one. I'd never played either one for any appreciable amount of time before. At first I made quick progress, because the first few dungeons are easy, but then, in the third chapter I'd say, it starts getting hard, and only gets harder from there. "NES Hard" definitely applies to this game.

I'm currently in the second dungeon of the sixth area (out of eight), and it's pretty brutal. Even using the NES Advantage stick (thank you, turbo buttons... made things like the rooms full of tiles a lot more bearable, for sure!), it's a really hard game. I've managed to get to the boss of this dungeon once... only to run out of shots of the splitting weapon before the boss died because perfectly timing the attack (that is, pressing the button again when you need the things to split) while also dodging enemy attacks is hard.

And then I run out of lives and get sent back to the beginning of the quite hard dungeon. Gah!

But even so, it is a great game. I definitely like the tropical island theme of the game, and the music is solid too. Great Zelda gameplay, but with less frustration because instead of having to scour the whole world for the sometimes frustratingly randomly hidden places you need to find in Zelda 1, you only have to look around the one area you're in... and many things have graphical hints that a passage is there, like the screen scrolling in that direction, a darkened 'shadow' mark, bubbles, etc. And the dungeons and puzzles are great, even if it does get quite hard in the later parts of the game.

I played a bit of the start of Zoda's Revenge and it seemed good too (being actually able to jump at any time instead of only being able to jump straight up unless you're jumping either over a pit or onto or off of a tile block is great), but I haven't gotten far, because I wanted to play the first one first... but initial impressions are definitely good.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, but I like old Zelda! Original Zelda.

I also like Kid Icarus a lot (not enough to be one of those "NEW ICARUS PLZ" fools, though). Apparently it's a bad game -- or so say a lot of gaming journalists or some shit. Whatever! Maybe my old-school tastes are just too bizarre to predict.

Redd

Duck said:
I only recently checked the VC for the first time in many months... what's with the lack of N64 games? I kinda wish they'd put up DK64 or something...

I'm surprised Mystical Ninja Goemon and Goemon's Great Adventure on the N64 aren't out on VC yet. Konami needs to get on that. Underrated games that more people should play imo.

Jiggy

I call that Nintendo releases only Digital Champ: Battle Boxing tomorrow, because clearly they're saving Shining Force II and Secret of Mana for my birthday next week.

Edit: Wait, DC: BB is October. D: Er, uh... In that case, I call that we only get WiiWare games tomorrow, in recompense for last week's awesomeness!

Redd said:
I'm surprised Mystical Ninja Goemon and Goemon's Great Adventure on the N64 aren't out on VC yet. Konami needs to get on that. Underrated games that more people should play imo.
All of the N64 games available on VC were either developed or published by Nintendo. What this means (if anything), I'm not sure, but just saying that it's unfortunately not surprising that those games aren't up yet. :(

Redd

Jiggy37 said:
All of the N64 games available on VC were either developed or published by Nintendo. What this means (if anything), I'm not sure, but just saying that it's unfortunately not surprising that those games aren't up yet. :(

You know, I never noticed that. Yeah they need to talk to Konami about that and while they're at it, release Castlevania Legacy of Darkness. The game has it's critics but I personally enjoyed the game and the original. Had one of my more memorable WTF scenes in the game when Reinhardt first meets Rosa.

Zoda's Revenge is definitely inferior to the original StarTropics. The puzzle/platforming just isn't as tight.

The main thing keeping third-party N64 games (including Konami's) from being released on VC is the lack of Memory Pak support for saving. This seems like a trivial thing to support in the emulator, but there must be some weird technical reason that Nintendo hasn't fixed it yet. Once that happens, the floodgates should open.

Jonnyboy117 said:
The main thing keeping third-party N64 games (including Konami's) from being released on VC is the lack of Memory Pak support for saving. This seems like a trivial thing to support in the emulator, but there must be some weird technical reason that Nintendo hasn't fixed it yet. Once that happens, the floodgates should open.

I can't see how there possibly could be any kind of block keeping them from including it. I don't think there's one single halfway decent PC N64 emulator without controller pak support. I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't just emulate it...

Still though, there were some third party games that had on-cart saving (the Japanese versions of all of Konami's games, for instance, along with many others). They haven't even uploaded any of those, except for a few published by Nintendo.

Cyan said:
I like them both, but if you don't like the first one, I don't see why you'd like the second.

The free jumping? But yeah, they look and play very similarly.

Nintendo Press Room said:
Sept. 29, 2008

Auspicious debuts and the return of a classic franchise top the list of new additions to the Wii Shop Channel™ this week. Art Style™: ORBIENT™ is the first in a new game series from Nintendo, combining deep game play with atmospheric flair and simple, elegant controls that anyone can pick up and enjoy. With two more Art Style titles scheduled for release in October, this is your chance to be the first to enjoy this truly remarkable gaming experience.

Bomberman makes his WiiWare™ debut in Bomberman Blast, taking the frenzied multiplayer action the series is known for online. Or if you just feel like saving the galaxy again, take on the Machine in Super Turrican 2.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Art Style: ORBIENT (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): Explore the universe like never before in Art Style: ORBIENT. Take control of gravity and anti-gravity and carefully maneuver your small star through 50 stages set in multiple galaxies. Collide with other stars to absorb them and make your own star expand in size, or capture the stars in your orbit and have them become your satellites. Space isn't empty, though, and you'll have to avoid bumping into obstacles or getting pulled into a black hole. If you feel like relaxing while still being challenged, this is the game for you. Its combination of simple controls, atmospheric sound and unique environment make for an experience unlike any other.

Bomberman Blast (Hudson Entertainment, 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone—Mild Cartoon Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): A brand new addition to the Bomberman series is available on WiiWare. Up to eight players can battle online simultaneously via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. Simple controls make this a great game for family and friends to enjoy anytime. You can trigger new items by shaking the Wii Remote™ controller, creating new levels of Bomberman excitement. You can even take the intensity up another notch by adding your own Mii™ caricatures to the mix. Battle results can be recorded on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Ranking, so you can see how you stack up against others around the globe. This title will prove to be a blast for everyone--from those who've never touched a Bomberman game to the Bomberman masters.

Virtual Console™

Super Turrican 2 (Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Violence, 800 Wii Points): As the last survivor of the United Freedom Forces, it is your duty to destroy the Machine's forces that have devastated the galaxy. Fight through countless hordes of enemies using everything at your disposal. Use weapons and power-ups to fight back the tide of oncoming enemies. Use special abilities like the Energy Wheel and Cyberfist to find secret areas and score extra lives. When your lives and continues are gone, the mission ends. You are the galaxy's last hope. Are you up to the challenge?

A pretty solid week! Let's see how Nintendo's new Art Style series works out.

Art Style? Is this perhaps the WiiWare incarnation of the Bit Generations series?

EDIT:

Hang on, Orbient sounds just like an expanded version of Orbital! I'll be chuffed to bits if the Bit Gen series gets another outing for WiiWare, especially if they expand on what were some fantastic concepts.

Stumpokapow said:
Yep, it's a port of Orbital. And the press release says two more bit Gen titles coming in October! NICE!

Fantastic! And from the (tiny) screen it looks like pretty in a subdued way. Surprised it's taken them this long to dip into the Bit Gen series for WiiWare updates, but I'm glad they are - and I hope it heralds another set of experimental games, as this service is perfect for them.

Kuramu

Crap, I was getting used to bad weeks and fell behind. I still haven't finished the first SuperTurrican nor downloaded the Genesis one. If only we could load VC games onto the DS, I'd stand a chance

The rebirth of the Bit Generations series! Thank you Nintendo, this is exactly what I wanted from Wiiware.

The original had 40 levels, and this one has 50, so it definitely isn't just a remake. These new graphics look elegant. I had thought Orbital would look worse with more detailed graphics, but Nintendo/Skip seem to have proven me wrong.

Orbital is my favorite game of the past few years, and the Bit Generations series more generally perfectly embodies my ideals of gaming, so I am beyond excited for this new development.

It's funny they're starting this new series with what was by far the least accessible of all the games.

And we get Bomberman and a Turrican game also. Great week.

slaughterking said:
Reminds me of Pixeljunk Eden. Somehow. :0
Q-Games developed Digidrive, one of the best Bit Generations games. Until today, Pixeljunk was the closest thing to a successor of the Bit Generations series.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. $6 for a bit gen game. Not bad. I will take the plunge later today.

Top Bottom