• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Jiggy

Birthday miracles, huh? :O Looks like VC has actually become good again despite more switching with Hudson (which I'll complain about at some later date, such as tomorrow :p). Boring life of data entry will become more boring still today!

djtiesto said:
Jiggy, looks like you got one of your birthday wishes, happy bday BTW.
Thanks. :D

(And look for a PM from me either this week or by early next week... you'll see why when it comes, I guess. :p)

Double post, I know. But, if you guys remember, I said I'd pull an Amir0x when SF2 came out. As it's Jigs' birthday, I'll give him one, but the next person to quote me will be gifted SF2.

Zihark

crowphoenix said:
Double post, I know. But, if you guys remember, I said I'd pull an Amir0x when SF2 came out. As it's Jigs' birthday, I'll give him one, but the next person to quote me will be gifted SF2.
hi sf2!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just dl'ed Mario Golf--still awesome after all these years.

One thing I had forgotten was how catchy the music was.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
You know, I could complain about how Nintendo contradicted a third party's established release date for a game yet again...but heck, it's finally Shining Force II, so I'd feel a bit ungrateful if I did so.

Happy birthday again, Jigs. Glad to see your birthday miracle pulled through. :D
Nintendo wanted to honour it so much. they cancelled Gradius II for it! Clearly this is what happened! :O

ElFly

DavidDayton said:
Dumb question time...

Super Ghouls and Ghosts

a) Is there a Professional Mode difficulty?
b) Is it normally selectable, or do you have to beat the game once on normal to get it?

There's no save/password for the game (yeah, I know, VC), so I was curious...

Normally selectable.

There is a cheat to select stages.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
You know, I could complain about how Nintendo contradicted a third party's established release date for a game yet again...but heck, it's finally Shining Force II, so I'd feel a bit ungrateful if I did so.
I wouldn't. :D But out of respect for Shining Force II as a game (which I'd rather have than both of the planned Hudson games combined and multiplied several times over), and the attention that people should be paying to it today, I'll at least ~temporarily delay~ those complaints until tomorrow. :p

And now I'm out until later tonight.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I wouldn't. :D But out of respect for Shining Force II as a game (which I'd rather have than both of the planned Hudson games combined and multiplied several times over), and the attention that people should be paying to it today, I'll at least ~temporarily delay~ those complaints until tomorrow. :p

And now I'm out until later tonight.

Well, that's fair enough, I suppose. And while I wasn't planning to get Gradius II anyway, Nintendo really shouldn't be screwing over third parties by contradicting their release dates like this.

But yeah, let's wait until tomorrow before we start complaining. :D

Iam Canadian

crowphoenix said:
This day cannot end fast enough for me.

We're not complaining out of respect for you, crowphoenix. After all, I wouldn't like it if people were complaining that we didn't get Super Bonk or something on the day we got Earthbound. :D

Believe?

beelzebozo said:
p.s. play cave story

I second this motion.

But if you're going to play the PC version, invest in a controller first.

Iam Canadian said:
We're not complaining out of respect for you, crowphoenix. After all, I wouldn't like it if people were complaining that we didn't get Super Bonk or something on the day we got Earthbound. :D

Believe?
Believe!

JSnake

Ugh, I can't connect to the shop channel because my internet has been down all day. Right now I'm leeching off the neighbors. I neeeeeed Shining Force II. ;_______;

I'm going to wait a bit before buying any new VC or WiiWare games to see if my current MyNintendo account will transfer to my Club Nintendo membership.

Banned
FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAH! I just found out Mario Golf is coming!!!! Next to Majoras Mask, it's one of the N64 regrets i've harboured for over 10 years... Excited!

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't include the GBC transfer characters for Mario Golf. (I know their stats aren't fixed, but they could have given them some permanent ones and added them in.)

But besides that, Nintendo serves up another great week. I will be getting SFII in the future.

You would think that the collective nerdgasm of VC-Age over the release of Shining Force II would've resulted in more posts and kept this thread floating on the first page for at least a little while longer.

I may buy it and I only say may because I'm kind of bogged down with school and DQIV is enough at the moment (finally working through Chapter 5).

Jiggy

First-timer's impressions of Shining Force II. Not much detail, but it'll do, I hope.

There aren't many sequels where, within even so much as an hour of playing (and I've put in more than that), I felt more strongly than I do with SFII that they were improvements over their predecessor. I'm not sure exactly why, though I can think of possible reasons:

• Maybe it's because I'm big on game music and Shining Force's soundtrack annoyed me horribly and begun to grate on me whereas Shining Force II has excellent, catchy, and memorable music in the towns and on the world map and basically everywhere.
  • Maybe it's because I'm big on convenience and SFII's text seems to move faster both inside battle and out. (Special note for anyone who might not know: you can press the main confirmation button on something other than a character in battles and set the text speed one step higher to get to its fastest!)
  • Maybe it's because the pacing and leveling seems quicker--I don't remember getting this many gains of 49 experience in the original game (which would make some sense considering that in SFII unpromoted characters can head up as high as level 40). Could be wrong, I guess.
  • Maybe it's because the overworld makes it play more like I'm going on an adventure and less like I'm being pulled forward on an adventure, which for me at least is a positive.

But whatever it is, or a combination of all these things, that feeling of improvement definitely comes across.
...And on a completely separate note,
phoenixes
are my favorite mythical creature. ♥ So happy to have one!

Special note for anyone who might not know: you can press the main confirmation button on something other than a character in battles and set the text speed one step higher to get to its fastest!

You are my hero. :D

antispin said:
soooo. Shining Force 2 good? Buy? Good combat, good story, both? /JRPG noob

Well do you like games like fire emblem,disgea, finalfantasy tactics, etc?
If you do then it's a pretty nice game I have found sofar. But it is old so you have to take that into consideration. And not only the graphics if you know what I mean.

Jiggy37 said:
First-timer's impressions of Shining Force II. Not much detail, but it'll do, I hope.

There aren't many sequels where, within even so much as an hour of playing (and I've put in more than that), I felt more strongly than I do with SFII that they were improvements over their predecessor. I'm not sure exactly why, though I can think of possible reasons:

• Maybe it's because I'm big on game music and Shining Force's soundtrack annoyed me horribly and begun to grate on me whereas Shining Force II has excellent, catchy, and memorable music in the towns and on the world map and basically everywhere.
  • Maybe it's because I'm big on convenience and SFII's text seems to move faster both inside battle and out. (Special note for anyone who might not know: you can press the main confirmation button on something other than a character in battles and set the text speed one step higher to get to its fastest!)
  • Maybe it's because the pacing and leveling seems quicker--I don't remember getting this many gains of 49 experience in the original game (which would make some sense considering that in SFII unpromoted characters can head up as high as level 40). Could be wrong, I guess.
  • Maybe it's because the overworld makes it play more like I'm going on an adventure and less like I'm being pulled forward on an adventure, which for me at least is a positive.

But whatever it is, or a combination of all these things, that feeling of improvement definitely comes across.
...And on a completely separate note,
phoenixes
are my favorite mythical creature. ♥ So happy to have one!
Peter is awesome, isn't he?

I was only able to play this game for a little bit last night, but man, did that little bit feel good. I can't wait to get a little bit farther into the story.

antispin said:
soooo. Shining Force 2 good? Buy? Good combat, good story, both? /JRPG noob

I would say it's excellent, but I am extremely biased. It's an old school affair and plays more like Fire Emblem than other tactics games. It actually could be described as Fire Emblem lite (Which I think is unfair, as it slants impressions to the negatives, and I don't think SF2 deserves that.)

First major difference is that you actually have control of your Main Character and can guide him through towns and over fields. There are shops in town for you to buy stuff from and NPCs to chat with.

Second major difference is that there is no perma death. Even should Bowie die, you are sent back to the last Priest you spoke to you. You will then have to pay to have your characters raised, but at least they aren't gone.

Third major difference, is that combat doesn't flow in the same way. At the start of the game, you will neither counter attack nor get countered often, which rewards a more aggressive style of play.

Fourth is that battles play out more like FFT in that you make moves based on the speed of the character rather than one side at a time.

The fifth thing is that some battles are replayable, so you can actually grind if you are getting your tail handed to you at certain places.

Jiggy

Well, this might not help too much for a complete JRPG noob :)P), but about the gist of what I could say on Shining Force II is that it's basically Fire Emblem battles with Dragon Quest towns. But that's something of an oversimplification, of course, for reasons that crowphoenix pointed out and also for these reasons that I covered in a discussion about the first SF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10835492&postcount=20954

But just generally speaking, I think you could expect a lot of good from the combat and I consider it to be more friendly to new RPG players in terms of pacing and difficulty than pretty much any other good strategy RPG. And most normal RPGs, for that matter. I haven't played many that created a stronger sense of being very simple but very fun.

JSnake

crowphoenix said:
That's because both of you should be playing Shining Force 2. He knows this. Now get cracking there is evil to slay.

Hey, my internet was down yesterday so I couldn't DL it. Got it working this morning and DLed the game. Beat the first battle then it was time for school. I am now eating lunch. Toasted bagel and crispy bacon. I am also learning about cell division on my online science course. Give me a break. I'll play as soon as I am able. :(

JSnake said:
Hey, my internet was down yesterday so I couldn't DL it. Got it working this morning and DLed the game. Beat the first battle then it was time for school. I am now eating lunch. Toasted bagel and crispy bacon. I am also learning about cell division on my online science course. Give me a break. I'll play as soon as I am able. :(
Only the fact that your lunch sounds good will save you from my Shining Force Fury. :lol

JSnake

Lunch is done. Downed it with a tall glass of chocolate milk. Now for my 15 minute post-lunch break. If it makes you happy, I'll play SF2.

Iam Canadian

Crowphoenix's Shining Force Fury is not to be trifled with. :lol

I wish I could devote the entire day to Shining Force II, crowphoenix, but there's an entire Endless mode full of evil robots to destroy in Mega Man 9. So Shining Force II will have to share. :D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, you guys waited so much and complained so damn hard for Shining Force that I really wasn't expecting to see the thread drown so fast... :-/

Btw, I've still havent bought it (EU store had it for a while) because I wanted to ask:
Is the story related to the first SF?
If yes, how much? Is just a nod here and there with same locations and some guest characters or we're talkin' a direct sequel?

Dash Kappei said:
Wow, you guys waited so much and complained so damn hard for Shining Force that I really wasn't expecting to see the thread drown so fast... :-/

Btw, I've still havent bought it (EU store had it for a while) because I wanted to ask:
Is the story related to the first SF?
If yes, how much? Is just a nod here and there with same locations and some guest characters or we're talkin' a direct sequel?
Set way in the future. It's one of those that's good to know the first, but not required.

Capndrake said:
OFLC update (Strangely enough rated last week but not added until today or yesterday):

OFLC update, huh? I assume that means Mega Man 3 will hit North America & Japan in 2010 then, maybe in time to coincide with the release of Mega Man 10. :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
I bought the first Shining Force and wasn't too impressed. Granted, I didn't put much time into it. I've always been a FE fan, so is SF2 worth getting into?

Top Bottom