• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Deadly Creatures thread for arachnophobic gamers

CoolS

dc.jpg

-------------------------
General Information
-------------------------

North America - 2/9
Europe - 2/13
Japan - Never?

----------
Boxarts
----------

51S4p7y6ffL_SL500_AA280_.jpg
51B-a5rPw9L_SL500_AA280_.jpg

--------------
Story
--------------

Two humans, voiced by Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper, are looking for a location in the desert where they believe gold from the American Civil War has been buried. Through flashback and narration, they relate their quest to find the gold and their encounters with the creatures.

--------------
Gameplay
--------------

Hunt or be hunted in Deadly Creatures, a venomous world of desert terror where the greatest victory is survial.
Follow the entwined adventures of an armored scoriopn and a stealthy tarantula as they struggle against a myriad of desert terrors, including vicious gila monsters, tarantula wasps, black widows, and the most dangerous predator of all - man.
scorp.jpg
tarant.jpg

------------------
Screens
------------------

deadly-creatures-20090206031130638_640w.jpg

deadly-creatures-20090116012456100_640w.jpg

deadly-creatures-20090116012520302_640w.jpg

deadly-creatures-20090206032116799_640w.jpg

deadly-creatures-20090116012522865_640w.jpg

----------
Trailers
----------

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45052.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43072.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30681.html
Also check out the awesome motion capture video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45163.html?type=

----------------------
Official Site
----------------------

http://www.deadlycreaturesgame.com/

----------
Reviews
----------

Edge - 5/10
GamesRadar - 8/10
IGN - 8.0/10
Nintendo Power 7.5/10

-----------
Notes
-----------

- Some interesting things written down by Hitlersaurus Christ here:

I was actually just at a small presentation/Q&A session with some of the guys behind the game (senior designer, software engineer, and a gameplay designer, I think).
They showed this to us as part of the presentation, it got a lot of laughs. They told us about another ad that will probably start airing next week that I think you guys will enjoy.

I'm typing this on my iPhone, so for the sake of my own patience I'll just list off some of the more interesting points of the event:

• The original concept of the game was that you would control a snake with the wiimote. It later expanded into a game where you could play as 6 different creatures (an alligator and a panther were among them.) Due to reasons ranging from scale to lack of moves to the producers being realistic, they got cut down to just the tarantula and scorpion.

• There were going to be more boss fights, but they were taken out because boss battles ended up being fairly expensive. One boss that we were shown concept art of was against a raven, with a large cow skeleton in the arena. When you'd see the raven's shadow, you had to hide.

• One area that didn't make it was described as resembling an alien crash site.

• the gas station was originally the last level, but someone on the team mentioned that if there was a gas station, they'd have to blow it up. Everyone else agreed.

• The pulse/life-monitor thing that was shown in the first footage was removed. They aren't sure why, exactly, and were pretty disappointed as they thought it was awesome. Apparently one of the programmers had come up with and implemented it one weekend without telling anyone, and they were all pleasantly surprised. When they took it out, the poor programmer was heartbroken.

Sone other interisting facts:
-- Japanese Bug Fights were a help/inspiration for the combat

--There was a cliff area towards the end of the game where you could look off the edge and see every area you'd been to and how far you'd come, but like the other stuff I mentioned it didn't make it to the final version. The Wii couldn't really handle it well, IIRC.

--The lizards and rats originally had green blood like the other enemies, but they changed it to red for a but and ended up sending that version for the ESRB. They actually didn't bump up the rating any more, so they kept it.

--There were a few people during the focus testing that couldn't stand bugs. One little girl had to take off the headphones since it creeped her out, and another guy who was afraid of creepy-crawlies actually found the game cathartic, identifying himself with the player characters and smashing up the other bugs.

I thought this game deseved it's own official thread. It is the first time I did one, so tell me if something isn't quite right. I also will add in some things later, it's just that I'm a little busy right now.
Personally I'm really looking forward to this game. I hate spiders but this just looks like so much fun :)

Haunted

Seems like a solid title with some effort behind it, similar to Monster Lab and Mushroom Men.

Yeah, not a big spider/bug fan myself, so it might take some more convincing for me to get this one. :lol

Alcibiades

I have very little time for games nowadays but this is one of the few games I'm considering purchasing. The concept is definitely different, but I like almost everything I hear about the game.

$50 is kind of expensive, so I wish there was some sort of discount or part of a promotion at some retailers (like Buy this and get a THQ game at 1/2 price or something)...

The boxart does kinda make it seems like shovelware, but hopefully it can get good word of mouth.

jibblypop

Banned
Purchasing this as soon as I see it in stores. I don't even need to try it beforehand because the setting is good enough to make up for any flaws. :D

maxmars

Are you telling me I'm going to buy two games this month? First HOTD then this? Are 3rd parties on a roll or what?

sammy

picking up my preorder today. I've been looking forward to this one for a time now! i'm all about supporting more animal games

the game story looks really fun. I love games that tell a story not directly connected to the player, like ace combat 4 inspired.

hope it does well, it looks like they put some love into developing it

I'm definitely getting this, I just don't have any money. This will be my first purchase of the year!

Haunted

Why is the PAL cover cluttered with shitty stickers and awards? >_<

maxmars said:
Are you telling me I'm going to buy two games this month? First HOTD then this? Are 3rd parties on a roll or what?
While I wouldn't call two good games in a month "on a roll" (even if it's February), at least they're baby steps.

CoolS

sammy said:
hope it does well, it looks like they put some love into developing it

Also, this would be really cool as a franchise. We know that they had a lot more ideas for this.

BikoBiko

Haunted said:
Ugh, I know. And is that an X-Play sticker? No one here will even know what that is! Anyways, I'll be getting this eventually because it's a really interesting game and it looks pretty good, but I won't be paying full price for this.

CoolS

BikoBiko said:
Ugh, I know. And is that an X-Play sticker? No one here will even know what that is! Anyways, I'll be getting this eventually because it's a really interesting game and it looks pretty good, but I won't be paying full price for this.

Well it's not that bad compared to :

THE GERMAN BOXART

51T5XRfP8-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Why? :(

Haunted said:

While I wouldn't call two good games in a month "on a roll" (even if it's February), at least they're baby steps.
Tenchu is supposedly pretty decent. So that's 3. Yeh.

yoopoo

Banned
Its on my Gamefly queue. Hope to get it by next week.

Besides the WWE games, does THQ advertise their games? I couldn't even guess the last time I saw a non-WWE THQ ad.

stuminus3

Banned
I really, really want this game but my fucking Wii is broken. The disc drive is having a hard time and it needs to get sent in for service.

Un-freaking believable. I have two of them most notoriously likely-to-die consoles ever made under my TV (a 360 and PS2), and out of everything, the fucking Wii decides to break down.

Blind scorpion-punching rage.

lyre

This is one of the few games I'm looking forward to this season, so while my ownership copy arrives in the mail, I'll be renting it (and hope the framerate hiccups don't bother me too much).

Also, a previous post of mine pumping up for the game:

me said:
Also, I'm loving the art that's on the official website (click for larger versions).

More stuff on the site obviously, but these are what I liked the most.

wiibasedattacks872.png

Also, the game wants the gaf dinosaur back:
deadly-creatures-20081030043730848-000.jpg

CoolS

lyre said:
This is one of the few games I'm looking forward to this season, so while my ownership copy arrives in the mail, I'll be renting it (and hope the framerate hiccups don't bother me too much).

Also, a previous post of mine pumping up for the game:

Also, the game wants the gaf dinosaur back:
deadly-creatures-20081030043730848-000.jpg

Yeah the artwork for this is fantastic.

stuminus3

Banned
Ach, OK, I couldn't help myself, picked it up anyway. Impressions later tonight, unless the constant DREs result in me throwing the freakin' Wii out the window. Hopefully I'll get at least a little play out of it before that happens.

timetokill said:
I'd love to get some review blurbs, say from the oddly low EDGE review? Can anybody help with that?
Haven't seen the review, but EDGE are notoriously harsh sometimes. I'd love to know why in this case, though - everyone else seems to be pretty much glowing over it.

Damn, this game doesnt waste any time in getting interesting...Im liking the hell out of it so far. I love the sound as well, as its setting the mood and flow of everything very nicely.

Good purchase so far.

• The original concept of the game was that you would control a snake with the wiimote. It later expanded into a game where you could play as 6 different creatures (an alligator and a panther were among them.) Due to reasons ranging from scale to lack of moves to the producers being realistic, they got cut down to just the tarantula and scorpion.

• There were going to be more boss fights, but they were taken out because boss battles ended up being fairly expensive. One boss that we were shown concept art of was against a raven, with a large cow skeleton in the arena. When you'd see the raven's shadow, you had to hide.

Damn, didn't know that o_O

Arde5643

abstract alien said:
Damn, this game doesnt waste any time in getting interesting...Im liking the hell out of it so far. I love the sound as well, as its setting the mood and flow of everything very nicely.

Good purchase so far.
ooooooh - please post more detailed impressions as soon as you can. I'm fucking intrigued now. :D

Top Bottom