• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FF Fables: Chocobo Tales DS Release Thread

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Class until 5:30 ish. And I should do homework tonight....but probably later tonight I can try.
Oh..yeah, you can't do it until you get the biggest (I think) Deck box.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Pureauthor said:
RK! You're back!

Where you been, you ol' FFVII: DoC lovin'... thingy?
Classes put a big hurting on me in the beginning of the quarter. Now that I've taken tests/done homework and gotten near perfects on everything, I'm not as worried about passing and can resume my time wasting on GAF.
And I'm moving to Japan in July!

colinp

Banned
I really want to give a wifi dual a go, but apparently you need a 15 card deck. I've only got an 8 card deck right now, so hopefully in the near future. I think I have something like thirty cards now though.

Malboro Masher is another awesome microgame. I got to 127 points before being overwhelmed. Three point shy of the gold!

I'm still not sure how CANLI did so well in Bomberwall. I salute you good sir! My brain registers the arrows much too slowly =/

Oh, and Dealer X is my new favorite character in the game.

Teasel

Javaman said:
I'm also loving it so far. The way overused and unfunny Simpson's catch phrase "worst ever" caught me off guard and drew (get it, FF8 har har I'm so funny) a couple chuckles out of me in the beginning. All of the characters' reactions were pretty funny. 3 hours later, I hadn't had as many laughs, but the game just keep throwing fun mini game after another. I really like the sense of accomplishment from beating a record. As someone else said, there is usually an immediate reward, being either a card, a new location or a rescued person.

In kind of a screwball analogy the game remind me of a mix of Rocket slime (DS) and Final Fantasy Mystical Quest (SNES). For me there's just something fun about being able to improve the "map" by finishing missions or whatnot. In Rocket S, freed people populate the town, giving it new life by opening up shops and giving the player stuff to do outside of the main quest. FFMQ on the other hand had combat tiles that needed to be cleared in order to open up new paths and change the landscape. Both of these styles are used together in Chocobo (minigames instead of combat tiles) and has been keeping me pretty hooked so far.

On an aside, What other games have used that "improve the city/ landscape" game type? I'd love to give more of those a chance. The only ones I can think of are the first Actraiser, and the Dark Cloud series.
try Quintet Heaven & Earth Trilogy
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/quintet/quintet.htm
anyway i'm really loving the game though i'm somewhat disappointed to see it's more microgames and less card battle though...
and for the one thinking that bomb minigame (and yes i too got a gold) is hard... don't worry later microgame are worse! ^_^ (i think the one with the 3 bouncing slimes is impossible...) also favorite quote of the game
<Cid> don't think of this as a fetch quest! think of it as building character!

colinp

Banned
Friend code: 5069 0257 9323

Anybody up for a battle? I'll start adding people to the first post if there is enough interest. I am still very much a card battling newb, but I am willing to get my arse handed to me if anyone is up for it.

AdamBot

colinp said:
Friend code: 5069 0257 9323

Anybody up for a battle? I'll start adding people to the first post if there is enough interest. I am still very much a card battling newb, but I am willing to get my arse handed to me if anyone is up for it.

506902-506523

I've learned some great strategies by playing against crazy japanese folks... but I'm lacking a lot of the better cards since I'm not all that far in the game.

AdamBot

It takes some practice to get a sub-16 second time but it's not that hard. Especially taking some of the later games into consideration... and I'm not even a third of the way through story mode.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`d love to show off my 3 star rare full deck in a battle, but I`m really rusty. :S

colinp

Banned
AdamBot said:
506902-506523

I've learned some great strategies by playing against crazy japanese folks... but I'm lacking a lot of the better cards since I'm not all that far in the game.

I've added you to my game as well as to the first post. Crazy Japanese tactics scare me, but I look forward to a game =)

I added a Friend Codes section to the very top of the first post, so nobody should need to scroll down to find the section.

Alright, I just got my arse handed to me by some kid in Japan! Wifi card battles are *awesome.* Time to re-think my deck :lol

AdamBot

Adamo is the name of my character.

And yeah, you'll know pretty much right away if you've got a crappy deck. :lol

Evlar

Banned
Oh man this game is disgustingly cute. Even cuter than Rocket Slime which at one time seemed impossible.

Sho Nuff

Banned
When you first open the Bebuzzu book, the way it describes you depends on the name you enter. If your name starts with a "B" it says "Bernie is the herald of bane!", if it's a "C" it says "Chuck is the herald of catastrophe!", etc etc...

Someone try X or Z!

mint

Banned
i got the game~! its pretty fun i'll post my friend code later till i get some better cards rofl

CANLI

Colinp, I played more than 100 times to do it! It made me crazy, once (before the gold, I had 16,02 :lol ) So, I perservered until I got gold.
You need some chance too on this minigame. I clicked 3-4 times (to win some time) the case next to this to decrease the total time :D

Finally, for me, there are much crazier mini*games than this like the bounce cactus or when you have to see which character is and the wal is closing more and more and you have to obtain 30 to have the gold. The race at the river (when snowing) is too hard too.

Good Luck, Enjoy this game. Try to obtain all cards. This game is a bomb, much better than FF III. It's not the same kind of game but for Square Enix games for me it's Chocobo > DQ Rocket Slime = DQ Monsters= > FFIII.

Just picked up the game last night.. Only beat up to Chapter 2 and a bit so far.. It's pretty good. However is Wi-Fi just card battles? no MP microgames I assume?

Neo Child

Banned
CANLI said:
Good Luck, Enjoy this game. Try to obtain all cards. This game is a bomb, much better than FF III. It's not the same kind of game but for Square Enix games for me it's Chocobo > DQ Rocket Slime = DQ Monsters= > FFIII.

I seem to be the only person on NeoGAF that didn't enjoy Rocket Slime.

For me:
FFIII > DQM > Chocobo > DQRS

CANLI

DevelopmentArrested, on WFC, there's only card battle (I think) and on multiplayer (local), you can play some mini games.

Neo Child, may be Rocket Slime is a GBA based game, hasn't stylus employment. It's just an enhanced GBA game with 2 screens without special gameplay, just the A button.
I'm wondering how a RS2 3D on DS can be with some DS features and stylus use...

Teasel

well i finished it... it's kinda short
got all the book on 100% (they are really easy) and i'm missing around 10 card for the entire collection because of some though microgames
again i think the game should have used more card battles and maybe less objective on the books (it's not fun repeating the same minigame 5 times... it would be ok if the change in difficulty was noticeable but most of the time that's not the case) what's the point of getting all those card when you have to use them only once in a while? sure you can play pop-up duels on wifi but i still would have prefered more CPU opponents as when playing with human opponent you are just going to use the best cards of the game and it kind of defeat the sense of progressing with the game
they could also removed pop-up duels while giving some other kind of prizes instead of those card

CANLI

Teasel said:
they could also removed pop-up duels and having some other kind of prizes instead of those card

You have to release all your friends too and open some ways. In this type of game, what would you want as other prizes? It's all about mini games cards and save chocobo friends.

colinp

Banned
CANLI said:
Colinp, I played more than 100 times to do it! It made me crazy, once (before the gold, I had 16,02 :lol ) So, I perservered until I got gold.
You need some chance too on this minigame. I clicked 3-4 times (to win some time) the case next to this to decrease the total time :D

Damn! Pretty sweet (in a frustrating as all hell kind of way) that you got 16.02 at one point :lol

I agree the 8bit FF character game with the closing wall is pretty crazy. I can't remember what my highest is on that one, but it isn't anywhere near thirty. I don't think I've come across the others you mentioned yet.

New favorite line from Croma, circa Ch. 4 I think:
"Holy Deus Ex Machina!" when Cid conveniently pops in and saves the crew. :lol

I'll be checking this post periodicaly this evening, so if anybody wants to duel post in here or send me a PM.

colinp

Banned
I noticed in the Chocobo Tales manual that SE doesn't give any production credits. I looked at my RS manual and it is the same deal, and I think FF3 did the same... Anyone know why they do that, and know where I could find out who made up the team behind CT?

Teasel

CANLI said:
You have to release all your friends too and open some ways. In this type of game, what would you want as other prizes? It's all about mini games cards and save chocobo friends.
game artworks? comics about the game? more minigames? silly toys ala wario ware twisted/touched? parts of the sound test?
none of them sounds particulary amazing but they certainly all sound better than something you won't use...
besides this problem is caused because there aren't a lot of pop-up duels

colinp

Banned
Teasel said:
besides this problem is caused because there aren't a lot of pop-up duels

This problem is solved with wifi!

Just won my first few battles after a glorious four game losing streak!

The search for duel function is a godsend, and I'm starting to have a decent deck. Decent in that instead of making me lose all the time I am starting to win! If even only by a hair...

I do feel like, occasionally and I have no idea why, the Carbuncle heal +10 card will not go through and I don't understand why. It doesn't say that it needs any CP, so shouldn't it run if it is thrown into play...?

Teasel

colinp said:
This problem is solved with wifi!

Just won my first few battles after a glorious four game losing streak!

The search for duel function is a godsend, and I'm starting to have a decent deck. Decent in that instead of making me lose all the time I am starting to win! If even only by a hair...

I do feel like, occasionally and I have no idea why, the Carbuncle heal +10 card will not go through and I don't understand why. It doesn't say that it needs any CP, so shouldn't it run if it is thrown into play...?
yeah but i already said why i would have liked more CPU opponents...
anyway the ability activates only if carbuncle blocks an attack and since that card has only a single yellow shield it's pretty hard to activate it

colinp

Banned
Teasel said:
yeah but i already said why i would have liked more CPU opponents...
anyway the ability activates only if carbuncle blocks an attack and since that card has only a single yellow shield it's pretty hard to activate it

So it isn't just any attack that will activate it, right? It *has* to be from an attack from a yellow card...?

Teasel

colinp said:
So it isn't just any attack that will activate it, right? It *has* to be from an attack from a yellow card...?
nope it has to be a card that attack the yellow zone which means
- a yellow card
- leviathan thunder storm card
- one of those colorless card that attack the yellow zone (bahamut tera flare for example)
it's also the same for other card that have only shields... their effect will activate only if they block an attack (so if you use the bombs delta guard and the opponent attack the blue zone with a water card or a colorless card like odin zanketsuken+ he won't get burned) note that even if the sword & shield matches but the opponent doesn't attack for other reason (silence status,not enough CP) the guard ability still won't activate

painey

got it earlier on import, played a few hours and already activated two crystals. Cant believe how insanely difficult some of the mini games are in comparison with how childish the main game is.

ITA84

colinp said:
I noticed in the Chocobo Tales manual that SE doesn't give any production credits. I looked at my RS manual and it is the same deal, and I think FF3 did the same... Anyone know why they do that, and know where I could find out who made up the team behind CT?

Then chances are they've been developed by TOSE; I think it was confirmed somewhere for RS and FFIII.

Sho Nuff

Banned
ITA84 said:
Then chances are they've been developed by TOSE; I think it was confirmed somewhere for RS and FFIII.

It's not TOSE, it's a team called "hand". They made the One Piece Battle Carnival games for PS2/GC.

ethelred

So, the thing about this game is that it's incredibly addictive. I spent... well, I'm not even going to say how much time I spent trying to get that ****ing gold in Bomberwall. I loved it, though. "One more time. FUCK! One more time..."

Great fun. The microgames are really well made, the modified fables are clever and nice, the arranged music is awesome, and the graphics are outstanding -- especially every time they use the pop-up designs, which is just an excellent artistic direction. The battle system is pretty great, also, though I echo the wish that there were more of those within the game itself (setting aside the online battles).

Awesome game.

ITA84 said:

TOSE didn't make FFIII (they did do FF: Dawn of Souls, FFIV - VI Advance, FF Origins/Anthology/Chronicles, though). Matrix Software, the team that did the Dragon Quest V PS2 remake, made that.

I'm loving it myself, I actually think the writing is pretty good. Everything is just well put-together and downright fun, if not a little easy for the story parts anyway.

Can't wait to try out the online card battles.

Teasel

well i got all the cards... *insert golf claps*
i have played more pop-up duels (actualy you have to duel everyone again after beating the game if you want to get the last 2 cards) and have noticed something,the cpu doesn't have an AI but instead just follow a generic pattern of 15 cards which makes him pretty predictable and show how the game needed more work on pop-up duels

RevenantKioku

Hey, I can play versus US versions! Sweet. Some guy named Bob just got me. But I had a decent defense going for a while at 2 HP. So much awesome
Anyway, friend code is:
077406 015781

colinp

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Hey, I can play versus US versions! Sweet. Some guy named Bob just got me. But I had a decent defense going for a while at 2 HP. So much awesome
Anyway, friend code is:
077406 015781

Yeah, I kicked some japanese kids ass this morning :D

I've added you to my friends list (and the first post). Can't play right this minute, but maybe later...?

Tarazet

Neo Child said:
I seem to be the only person on NeoGAF that didn't enjoy Rocket Slime.

For me:
FFIII > DQM > Chocobo > DQRS

I didn't enjoy Rocket Slime either. But I also didn't like FFIII.

RevenantKioku

sonarrat said:
I didn't enjoy Rocket Slime either. But I also didn't like FFIII.
Yeah, but you're not particularly known for liking much of anything. :D

Tarazet

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, but you're not particularly known for liking much of anything. :D

Not lately. I was much happier during the PSX days with Vagrant Story, Castlevania: SotN, FFVII, Lunar, Breath of Fire III, etc. What the hell happened?

ethelred

sonarrat said:
Not lately. I was much happier during the PSX days with Vagrant Story, Castlevania: SotN, FFVII, Lunar, Breath of Fire III, etc. What the hell happened?

Dragons went out of style.

AdamBot

Not quite sure what a "rinse/repeat" game is... If you mean repetitive, well yeah just a bit, it's an NES-era RPG. Not sure what people were expecting, that comes with the territory.

If you don't want to dance, don't play DDR.

Top Bottom