• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy deadlifts and pulls (rows, cleans, shrugs, etc.) work great.

Think about it. Are your forearms going to grow more from gripping 300+ pounds or curling a 45 pound bar?

Use overhand grip. Use a thick bar, if possible.

-viper- said:
Over the past week I've been tracking the amount of calories I've been eating and the amount of carbs, fat and protein I've been consuming.

I'm 5'8 and my weight is 9 stones at the moment so I'm fairly skinny. I want to gain muscle mass but I don't want to bulk up!

According to FitDay.com, I'm consuming, on average (for two weeks):
2000 calories
45g Fat
230g Carbohydrates
132g Protein

Is this enough? Or must I eat more?

I don't know--do you need to eat more? Are you gaining weight? I'd aim for a bit more if I were you in terms of calories and protein, but at 130 pounds, that should help produce SOME growth. How are you lifting?

cashman

Banned
I have a problem: I'm super weak like I mean that I can only rep 65 pounds benching, any suggestions to increase strength for some one who is weak?

-viper-

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
I don't know--do you need to eat more? Are you gaining weight? I'd aim for a bit more if I were you in terms of calories and protein, but at 130 pounds, that should help produce SOME growth. How are you lifting?
It's been two weeks since I've eaten that much protein and whatnot, but doesn't seem like I've gained any weight. I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks.

I use 20kg (10x2) dumbbells for almost all excercises except for the bicep curls since I can't lift as heavy. I use 16kg (8x2) instead for my biceps.

G-Bus

Banned
Keep going at it. When i started working out i had trouble bench pressing the bar (55 pounds) at the gym. You aren't going to get stronger over night. Depending on your body type and what have you it's going to take a couple weeks before you see changes. At least thats how it was for me.

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like i'll have to track down a thicker bar. Makes sense to me.

One more question. When i first started working out about 3 years ago i was on Creatine monohydrate. I liked the results it gave me and it pretty much just encouraged me to work out more often and for longer periods. Anyone else have experience with this stuff?

YYZ

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but pick up Mark Rippetoe's and Lon Kilgore' Starting Strength (2nd edition), absolutely the best weightlifting instruction book and he's no bullshitter. He only covers the key barbell exercises: squat, deadlift, bench press, press, and a few more I think, along with some other accessory exercises. Each section is incredibly detailed. He only covers stuff like barbell curls because he knows that people are going to do them anyway (he mentions it in the book). Everything is the book is useful though.

G-Bus said:
One more question. When i first started working out about 3 years ago i was on Creatine monohydrate. I liked the results it gave me and it pretty much just encouraged me to work out more often and for longer periods. Anyone else have experience with this stuff?

Some people do not respond to creatine. But for most people, it's a great supplement at a great price.

Grip: In addition to what's been said, I've found that heavy hammer curls [done both arms at once, bringing them straight up and not across the body] do wonders for the forearm. A friend of mine will chain 3 45lb plates to his waist and hang from the pullup bar for 1 minute, but that might not be for everyone. :D

-viper- said:
Over the past week I've been tracking the amount of calories I've been eating and the amount of carbs, fat and protein I've been consuming.

I'm 5'8 and my weight is 9 stones at the moment so I'm fairly skinny. I want to gain muscle mass but I don't want to bulk up!

According to FitDay.com, I'm consuming, on average (for two weeks):
2000 calories
45g Fat
230g Carbohydrates
132g Protein

Is this enough? Or must I eat more?

By the way, is this a good workout plan?

Day one:
Chest Press 10x3
Incline Chest Press 10x3
Bent Over Rows 10x3
Front Rows 10x3

Day Two:
Shoulder Press 10x3
Bicep Curls 10x3
Pull-Ups 10x3

Day Three:
Squats 10x3
Leg Extensions 20x3
Calf Raises 12x3

On the diet:
That's a respectable amount of food for your bodyweight. But if you want to gain weight, you'll just have to add a few hundred calories a week until you start gaining. Don't be afraid of a little fat, too, both in your diet and on your body, if you want to grow. My secret weapon here is natural peanut butter.

Are you doing 10 reps for all your sets [although usually that would be written 3 X 10]? Don't be afraid to vary things up. 5 sets of 5 reps is the sweet spot for a lot of people.

If you want to get big, deadlifts are wonderful. I'd also add some walking dumbbell lunges, too.

It's great that you're keeping track of your diet so precisely. Good luck to you.

alright, here's my situation, i'd appreciate it if someone who's familiar with jogging/running could reply:

i'm 5'9 weigh a little under 160 lbs

i played soccer 3 days a week during the summer, but these days with the weather i'm lucky if i can play once a week

i lift weight 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) and i'm looking to incorporate running into my routine to make up for the lack of soccer

so, i've got some really good new shoes, but little advice from runners. i'm really good at stretching and have a routine that's on pretty flat ground, but aside from that i don't know how to pace myself, what's good to eat before/after running, and when i should run in terms of my normal workout schedule (ie should i run during my off days, or should i run before weight training, etc).

so, anyone have any advice?

YYZ said:
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but pick up Mark Rippetoe's and Lon Kilgore' Starting Strength (2nd edition), absolutely the best weightlifting instruction book and he's no bullshitter. He only covers the key barbell exercises: squat, deadlift, bench press, press, and a few more I think, along with some other accessory exercises. Each section is incredibly detailed. He only covers stuff like barbell curls because he knows that people are going to do them anyway (he mentions it in the book). Everything is the book is useful though.

QFMFT. Seriously, anyone who wants to learn how to lift can do themselves a HUGE favor and pick up this gem. Donate some blood, work a few more hours, don't buy a game this month, sell your mom--do whatever you need to get this book.

-viper- said:
It's been two weeks since I've eaten that much protein and whatnot, but doesn't seem like I've gained any weight. I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks.

I use 20kg (10x2) dumbbells for almost all excercises except for the bicep curls since I can't lift as heavy. I use 16kg (8x2) instead for my biceps.

If you want to grow, you're going to go have to lift heavier and use compound exercises. Lift in sets of 3-5 for 5-8 reps--you shouldn't fail to achieve all the reps, but it should be more difficult each week (start out light and increase, finding out what you can do). Squat, deadlift, press, row.

Discovered a very simple, intense, effective upper body workout tonight.

A) Incline Barbell Press [6 reps of about 90% of your max at that rep range]
B) Pullups [maybe 66-75% of how many you can do when fresh]

Repeat 4 more times. Note that A & B means that you go straight from one to the other.

Then I did two sets of

A) Dips X 8
B) Pullups to failure
Both with a plate chained to my waist. I'm lucky that at my gym, the dips station has a pullup bar over it, so all I had to do was grind out the dips and then reach up.

It didn't take that long, and I feel like I got a great upper body workout, combining conditioning and strength training. It's not often you get to do presses, dips, and pullups until you feel like you're gonna puke.

Kintaco

Can I just eat less and exercise some?
I need to lose some weight, getting married next July, but I don't know shit about fitness. I would like to lose 40-50lbs, if that's even possible. I have limited time to "work out" as I don't get home until after 7pm and I have a 1 year old I like to spend some time with as well.
One of my problems is I eat way too much fast food, I don't have time to cook. I just starting eating more salads but I don't have a clue as to what I should be eating.
This thread is overwhelming for a complete fitness newbie.
A few years ago I managed to lose weight, but my eating habits at that time (and still today) were shit.

Kintaco said:
Can I just eat less and exercise some?
I need to lose some weight, getting married next July, but I don't know shit about fitness. I would like to lose 40-50lbs, if that's even possible. I have limited time to "work out" as I don't get home until after 7pm and I have a 1 year old I like to spend some time with as well.
One of my problems is I eat way too much fast food, I don't have time to cook. I just starting eating more salads but I don't have a clue as to what I should be eating.
This thread is overwhelming for a complete fitness newbie.
A few years ago I managed to lose weight, but my eating habits at that time (and still today) were shit.

My quick answer:

40 lbs by July is a lot to lose, maybe too much. But to lose as much as you can:

Salads instead of fast food is a good place to start. When your focus is on fat loss, burgers, fries, chips, sugary foods, pizza all are out of bounds completely until you get your weight under control. However, you also want to get lean protein with each meal--this means chicken, tuna, very lean beef, and eggs. You will lose fat faster with a balanced diet rather than a salad-only, starvation diet. Chicken salad > lettuce-only salad. Also, eat your veggies and oatmeal.

For exercise, fast walks 4-5 times a week, with pushups, situps, and lunges are good places to start. You can work your way up from there.

Gotta eat now. I'll try to write up a "newbie" section for the OP soon, and it's good to hear feedback like yours about the thread not being newbie-friendly [I honestly hadn't realized].

Oudom

This thread seems very informative and I like it!! I started working out five days a week for about two months and I have been doing the same routine. I do legs on monday, chest/bicep on tues, cardio on wed, back/triceps on thur, and shoulders on fri. Is it okay that this routine is repetitive?

Oudom said:
This thread seems very informative and I like it!! I started working out five days a week for about two months and I have been doing the same routine. I do legs on monday, chest/bicep on tues, cardio on wed, back/triceps on thur, and shoulders on fri. Is it okay that this routine is repetitive?

You want to repeat the same routine for a while--no point in changing up before you've gotten the benefits from it. Three or four months is probably the right duration for a program for most people.

I'd switch yours to do back & bi's on one day, and chest & tri's together on another, though. When you do switch your routine, you might go to a total body workout or to an upper/lower split routine.

Oudom

Thanks that was very helpful. Also, I'm not sure if I'm breathing the proper way. Is it exhale on exertion or...................... Thanks in advance.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
G-Bus said:
Any one got some good workouts and tips for working the forearms?

I've done wrist curls, with my palms up/down but they don't seem to be working the whole forearm. Also, I've tried something called dumb bell circles (got it from a Bruce Lee workout book) but they aren't working as well as i had hoped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Farmer's walks. Just pick up two heavy dumbells, squeeze them as hard as possible, and walk around. Keep your back straight and your shoulders held back.

Deadlifts are great too.

Oudom said:
Thanks that was very helpful. Also, I'm not sure if I'm breathing the proper way. Is it exhale on exertion or...................... Thanks in advance.

Inhale as the weight comes down, exhale as you force it up/out/etc. Try to think about your breathing being what holds your body up properly, and breath through your abdomen and diaphragm, not your mouth/nose. I also focus on breathing in a rhythm, and hitting that rhythm on every rep. Crazy, but it works for me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok I noticed I have a problem. I have too much ease working out my pectoral muscles. I'm not even trying really, I'm focusing on other parts, but in the end they get toned easily. It's always been like that. But there is too much of a big contrast compared to the rest of my waist/abdomen, so I want to change that. I know I can keep on toning the "love handles" and the latissimus dorsi, but that only really makes a difference from the front. The whole part over the front of the ribcage "Serratus Anterior?" looks especially off compared to the rest. But I'm not sure if that's the problem.

So any tips, what should I work on to compensate?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm out, hopefully some tip by tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Kastro

Banned
I notice that oatmeal is constantly stressed among health gurus but is there anything that can replace it? because I seriously cannot stand the stuff. It's like eating prison food. The texture of it kills me, and everything I've tried to "spice" it up hasn't worked.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kastro said:
I notice that oatmeal is constantly stressed among health gurus but is there anything that can replace it? because I seriously cannot stand the stuff. It's like eating prison food. The texture of it kills me, and everything I've tried to "spice" it up hasn't worked.

Just add honey.

I don't eat it tho. Just get some quality cereals instead.

Kastro

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Just add honey.

I don't eat it tho. Just get some quality cereals instead.

yeah I was thinking Id be better off just getting a healthy cereal.

isnt there a lot of sugar in honey

Kastro said:

I put it in my protein shakes, raw. Really--it works.

Protein + skim milk + raw oatmeal + a little natural peanut butter == awesome

Ether_Snake said:
Ok I noticed I have a problem. I have too much ease working out my pectoral muscles. I'm not even trying really, I'm focusing on other parts, but in the end they get toned easily. It's always been like that. But there is too much of a big contrast compared to the rest of my waist/abdomen, so I want to change that. I know I can keep on toning the "love handles" and the latissimus dorsi, but that only really makes a difference from the front. The whole part over the front of the ribcage "Serratus Anterior?" looks especially off compared to the rest. But I'm not sure if that's the problem.

So any tips, what should I work on to compensate?

Ether, are you worried that your chest is overpowering your core? Because that's a problem lots of bodybuilders would like to have. Or is it that your core isn't toned enough? If it's the latter, I'd be wary of overdoing the direct core work--I did that, and now I have these permenantly large, powerful ab muscles. I find that my core gets a good workout running sprints; deep squats and similar exercises will give you a good benefit as well. But a lot of the time, trimming down a stomach is more about diet than exercise.

Let me know if I'm not understanding your dilemma properly.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mike Works said:
so, i've got some really good new shoes, but little advice from runners. i'm really good at stretching and have a routine that's on pretty flat ground, but aside from that i don't know how to pace myself, what's good to eat before/after running, and when i should run in terms of my normal workout schedule (ie should i run during my off days, or should i run before weight training, etc).

so, anyone have any advice?

i'm about an inch taller and ten pounds lighter than you, and though my routine is far from scientific i'll try to help.

i don't do a lot of weight training outside of curls, sticking mostly to push-ups, pull-ups, crunches and what not to focus on toning, not bulking. i run about 14 miles every day, which takes me on average a little over an hour and fifteen minutes (this is all a rough estimate, so bear with me). i built up to that, but i mention numbers specifically to illustrate that you can run every day, do toning exercises when you're hanging around watching tv, and feel absolutely fine. i guess a lot of training experts will tell you otherwise, but this is the system that's worked for me thus far, and i feel fantastic.

as far as what to eat before you work out, keep it light--i try to find fairly good sized apples at the store and eat one an hour before i run. it puts me in that magic spot of not feeling like i have anything on my stomach, but not having stomach cramps ten minutes in and feeling weak from hunger pangs.

as far as your pace, it should just be something that is just beyond strenuous for you. don't sprint--your pace should be something that feels swift and put some strain on your body initially, become more difficult as you go, and your body will go through natural swings of getting energy kicks and points where you have to struggle to keep it up. if you feel bored, you're going too slow; if you feel like you're going to die, you're going too fast.

anyway, good luck man.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kastro said:
yeah I was thinking Id be better off just getting a healthy cereal.

isnt there a lot of sugar in honey

Oh noes, the honey will make me fat!:p But yeah, just go for cereals.

Captain Glanton said:
Ether, are you worried that your chest is overpowering your core? Because that's a problem lots of bodybuilders would like to have. Or is it that your core isn't toned enough? If it's the latter, I'd be wary of overdoing the direct core work--I did that, and now I have these permenantly large, powerful ab muscles. I find that my core gets a good workout running sprints; deep squats and similar exercises will give you a good benefit as well. But a lot of the time, trimming down a stomach is more about diet than exercise.

Let me know if I'm not understanding your dilemma properly.

Yeah, basically it's probably my genes but I've always had an overpowering chest compared to my core (partly because yes I haven't worked out my core enough, especially the abs, but partly because my chest is just bigger by default). I'm not fat at all btw (I need to gain weight in fact, I had even made a thread about it). I'm going to workout my core moreso. My latissimus dorsi and "love handles" are fine, I can work them out easily, but my abs and whatever you call the part right below the pecs over the ribcage needs much more definition.

I've been working out at home mostly, but soon I'll also use the gym at work because I can't do everything with just a couple of weights.

Ether_Snake said:
Oh noes, the honey will make me fat!:p But yeah, just go for cereals.

Yeah, basically it's probably my genes but I've always had an overpowering chest compared to my core (partly because yes I haven't worked out my core enough, especially the abs, but partly because my chest is just bigger by default). I'm not fat at all btw (I need to gain weight in fact, I had even made a thread about it). I'm going to workout my core moreso. My latissimus dorsi and "love handles" are fine, I can work them out easily, but my abs and whatever you call the part right below the pecs over the ribcage needs much more definition.

I've been working out at home mostly, but soon I'll also use the gym at work because I can't do everything with just a couple of weights.

Might be time for some old-fashioned crunches and hanging leg raises. MMA guys know a ton about getting strong abs; you might try to find some of their workouts. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what they do, but if I get time I'll look around.

Oudom said:
Anyone know any manly core workouts that I can use.

Edit: The next OP update will be on core workouts. Coming just as soon as I have time. And no fears--everything I do is fucking manly.

Uncooked

Banned
I always found that a combination of my back workout + 4-6 sets of crunches (15 reps each) did the trick for my abs. I used to do weighted crunches as well along with the normal ones, but I developed the same problem Glanton did and had abs that were too big and stuck out, looking a tad abnormal in my opinion.

I have always had a bit of a problem with my traps. I have tried a number of different workouts, ranging from 4 to 16 sets. I would use both dumbells and a barbell and alternate my grip (wide, close, behind the back) and have tried heavy and light weights. They would always look pretty good immediately after I finished the exercise, but it has never stuck, any advice?

sif

Uncooked said:
I always found that a combination of my back workout + 4-6 sets of crunches (15 reps each) did the trick for my abs. I used to do weighted crunches as well along with the normal ones, but I developed the same problem Glanton did and had abs that were too big and stuck out, looking a tad abnormal in my opinion.

I have always had a bit of a problem with my traps. I have tried a number of different workouts, ranging from 4 to 16 sets. I would use both dumbells and a barbell and alternate my grip (wide, close, behind the back) and have tried heavy and light weights. They would always look pretty good immediately after I finished the exercise, but it has never stuck, any advice?

Try upright rows, and try doing 2 sets of 8-10 reps for shrugs, works for me. It is possible that you have plateaued so try changing up your sets/reps. You sound like you know what you are talking about, so I presume you know all about proper form. Deadlifts use traps a bit so if you don't already you might want to start doing them.

The Experiment said:
Since there is an interest in GAF getting healthy, we should have a transformation contest. I'll even pay for a prize.

There was one in the beginning of the year, the OP of that thread never created the official thread.

Uncooked said:

Abs, I do weighted situps and cable crunches from standing or kneeling. I'm not a big believer in training your abs differently than the rest of your body--I use heavy weight on ab exercises, the same I would anything else.

Power shrugs for traps, better than anything else

Did the trick for me. You'll be using weight thats more than you can deadlift (will need straps) and the overload to your traps is great.

Okay, so I've said before that regular shrugs are a waste of time. These are the best version out there and the best trap developer around. No one who has ever done these has ever once gone back to a regular shrug (at least I can't think of anyone and certainly no one that I've trained). Visible results in the mirror are guaranteed in 2-3 weeks. This exercise is very result producing as are all the olympic lift variations when it comes to back/trap development - the back was made for dynamic pulling. You'll need straps and you should start light and build up over a period of a few weeks. Higher rep ranges are fine (8-15) for these and I really think they lower weight for higher reps make these a good bit less taxing on the central nervous system than working down to 5s and 3s.

JoeMartin

If you're serious about weight loss THIS GUIDE will tell you everything you need to know about how to effectively loose weight in a safe and healthy manner.

READ THE ENTIRE THING AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES AND LEARN TO LIVE/LOVE IT. It is the only 100% no bullshit guide to weightloss I have ever seen on the internet. A diet is not a temporary change in eating habits, it is a lifestyle change. Know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

While I workout 5-7 days a week, I don't claim to be an expert at all. I'm more of a dietitian than I am a trainer. I do all the usual exercises to keep my body in shape and I usually go with friends that are far more well versed than I am in the area. I can't speak on the particular effectiveness of exercises, I just do what works for me.

beelzebozo said:
i'm about an inch taller and ten pounds lighter than you, and though my routine is far from scientific i'll try to help.

i don't do a lot of weight training outside of curls, sticking mostly to push-ups, pull-ups, crunches and what not to focus on toning, not bulking. i run about 14 miles every day, which takes me on average a little over an hour and fifteen minutes (this is all a rough estimate, so bear with me). i built up to that, but i mention numbers specifically to illustrate that you can run every day, do toning exercises when you're hanging around watching tv, and feel absolutely fine. i guess a lot of training experts will tell you otherwise, but this is the system that's worked for me thus far, and i feel fantastic.

as far as what to eat before you work out, keep it light--i try to find fairly good sized apples at the store and eat one an hour before i run. it puts me in that magic spot of not feeling like i have anything on my stomach, but not having stomach cramps ten minutes in and feeling weak from hunger pangs.

as far as your pace, it should just be something that is just beyond strenuous for you. don't sprint--your pace should be something that feels swift and put some strain on your body initially, become more difficult as you go, and your body will go through natural swings of getting energy kicks and points where you have to struggle to keep it up. if you feel bored, you're going too slow; if you feel like you're going to die, you're going too fast.

anyway, good luck man.

you run 14 miles a day in 1 hour 15....are you sure?...that is World championship marathon pace....I do long distant running as well, although my upper body strength is probably my main facette, but running 14 miles every day sounds helluva boring...you must love running, but its prob even not great for your body to do that shit. I just do two runs a week, one long, one short...and seeing how far I can run basically.

Im am the same in one respect though, I dont do many weights either, just body strength stuff...press ups are pretty good... Heh, Ive got up to 80 one arm press ups, which is alright...planche press ups are the ones to go for though

Ether_Snake said:
I'm out, hopefully some tip by tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

I've always found that a great excersize for the serratus anterior is neutral grip chinups/neutral grip pulldowns. Basically like a chinup or lat pulldown, but using a neutral grip, ie: palms facing each other. Also, since chest seems to come so easily to you, try pre-fatiguing with dumbell pullovers on your chest workouts. What this will do is it will get that area tired before you start the rest of your chest excersize. Any bit of excersion coming from that area will now be amplified because it will already be tired for the dumbell pullovers. It also has the added benefit of working the pectorals in a very different angle than standard presses/flys.

Solaros

If you actually want someone to "Get Into Shape" you must make it simple.

Rules of Getting Into Shape:

Diet

1. If it comes in a box or is already packaged do not buy it or eat it.
2. Quality over quantity.
3. Mold your diet to attain your fitness goals. I personally follow a paleolithic diet and "graze" on fruits/veggies during the day and eat a hearty meal of meat and veggies in the evening. If you want to gain weight keep your system flooded with protein.

Goals

One must have goals to know where one is trying to get. The best way is the following:

One Day Goal
One Week Goal
One Month Goal
Three Month Goal
One Year Goal

This setup keeps you constantly working towards something while always achieving. This keeps you focused. Write these down on 3x5 cards and read them when you wake up.

The Workout

1. Once again, quality over quantity
2. Same but different. If you do exercises A, B, C, D. You have 16 different workouts you can do by changing up the order. You can change up the rest intervals as well.
3. Realize that Strength is Tension and Tension is Definition.

Ex. Take your curls (useless exercise) and actively flex the bicep when you do them. Crush the bar in your hand, tighten your abs up, and flex your ass cheeks like you do when you run backwards through a forest of dicks to prevent the inevitable puncture wound. The moral? Always stay tight, your whole body. Make every exercise a full body exercise.

4. For strength train 5 reps or less per set with 3-5 minutes in between sets. For mass train 6+ reps while always compressing the rest interval. I personally reccomend the 20 Rep Squat program for mass.

Self-Image

1. Vonnegut originally said something like, "Be careful what you pretend to be, because you are what you pretend to be." You want to be look like an olympic sprinter or an olympic long distance runner or Arnold in his prime? Create a self-image of yourself and how you want to look. The mind is very powerful. Use it.

Let me know if you soon-to-be ripped cables of steel need any more help.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nelsonroyale said:
you run 14 miles a day in 1 hour 15....are you sure?...that is World championship marathon pace....I do long distant running as well, although my upper body strength is probably my main facette, but running 14 miles every day sounds helluva boring...you must love running, but its prob even not great for your body to do that shit. I just do two runs a week, one long, one short...and seeing how far I can run basically.

Im am the same in one respect though, I dont do many weights either, just body strength stuff...press ups are pretty good... Heh, Ive got up to 80 one arm press ups, which is alright...planche press ups are the ones to go for though

it should be noted that most of the time this is a machine measuring my distance and time, so i guess it could be variable in its estimates. i do go quick--i've been running for years now--but i would never claim to be going world championship marathon pace, as you say. i keep myself entertained by listening to podcasts, which are a saving grace when you're talking about an hour and fifteen minutes of cardio. i have 5-7 podcasts a week that are always roughly that length that get me through workouts nicely.

as far as my upper body, it's as i said, just something i focus on toning through pull-ups, push-ups, curls, and some light presses. i'm going for "swimmer body" more than "beefy body," though that has more to do with my past experiences in a football weight training program and how little i appreciated what happened when i stopped such intense strength training. bad habits led to fatty boombatty total

what's a planche press?

This sounds like a good idea for a thread, but is this "get more defintion thread" or "lose weight thread" (Although in some ways there isn't any difference...

Frozen Fire said:
This sounds like a good idea for a thread, but is this "get more defintion thread" or "lose weight thread" (Although in some ways there isn't any difference...

For me, this is the "lose the flab and hit a double-bodyweight squat and do 15 pullups" thread. YYMV.

Edit: I've actually passed all those goals by, so I should elaborate that for me it's the "help other people do those things and centralize all the fitness Q's instead of having five different threads" thread. And obviously, there are running discussions of jogging, moving out of your mom's basement at age 43, and whatnot, which is fine.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think it is what it should be: a catch-all. it should be a means of centralizing threads about losing weight, building traps, how to run, etc.

harSon

Banned
The Experiment said:
Since there is an interest in GAF getting healthy, we should have a transformation contest. I'll even pay for a prize.

I'd be willing to enter. I gained A LOT of weight over the last two years because of me knee injury from football. I was never skinny nor did I ever eat right but have been playing sports since I was 8 (I'm 19 now) so I was always in great shape. Now that me knee is fine I'm planning on starting a diet (This monday actually). Dieting and exercise isn't really difficult for me so I should be more then fine.

Okay, here I go:

I am young and trying to start a plan to keep me healthy for the rest of my life:

I eat very good i.e. no things horrible, no fast food etc. I lift weights on my spare time when I'm just doing nothing. I have not a lot of spare time normally, but I've been sick lately so now I have a lot. I do Cross Country and Track and Field. I used to be on the Swim Team but I left (Long story there, but I didn't hate it). What other sports or things could I do to keep in shape and healthy?

Oh yeah, I'm not fat or skinny.. somewhere between skinny and musclar..

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Okay my turn! :p
I'm 5'9" 160lbs @ 10% bodyfat

The following things below are my goals...

- I want to get to 175 lbs by June and stay under 13% bodyfat.
- I want huge thighs and a bigger butt (don't laugh) that'll make my girl jealous.
- add 2 inches to my arms (biceps/triceps)
- and get traps like Terrell Owens (the football player on the Cowboys).

(For visual reasons)

How do I get traps like this?
80u9vtz.jpg

Uncooked

Banned
I used to do upright rows but there is so much talk about them causing injuries I have stayed away from them for a couple years. I have heard people on both sides of the argument about whether they cause injuries or not, but neither has really convinced me. At this point I am just thinking better to be safe than sorry. How many sets (and reps per set) do most of you do for shrugs?

mckmas8808 said:
Okay my turn! :p
I'm 5'9" 160lbs @ 10% bodyfat

The following things below are my goals...

- I want to get to 175 lbs by June and stay under 13% bodyfat.

I gained ten pounds in eight weeks (and counting) with no significant bodyfat increase (abdominal outline still visible). I ate and eat. 3/4-one full gallon of milk a day, plus protein supplements and meat in most meals. You HAVE TO EAT. I get around 200g of protein and 3000 cals total a day.
- I want huge thighs and a bigger butt (don't laugh) that'll make my girl jealous.
Squat. Squat to parallel, squat often, squat heavy.
- add 2 inches to my arms (biceps/triceps)
Honestly, not very realistic in this short amount of time. 1 inch? Very possible, if you lift right and eat enough.
- and get traps like Terrell Owens (the football player on the Cowboys).
Heavy shrugs, as I suggested above. Any pulling movements (cleans, shrugs, rows) are great for your traps. Deadlifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom