• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Glory of Heracles Thread of Hercules

botticus

heraclesbanner.png

Glory of Heracles
Developer: Paon
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: RPG

Official Site: www.gloryofheracles.com (from where I have ripped many things)

Release Dates
Japan: May 22, 2008
NA: January 18, 2010
Europe: ?

Story
Something stinks in ancient Greece, and it's not just the Kraken sea beast.
Great cities wage war. Mythological monsters terrorize the land. The gods of Olympus squabble while heroes of legend suffer identity crises and skip out on their lunch tabs.

Meanwhile, a boy washes up on the Island of Crete. He doesn't remember how he got there or even who he is. He soon meets companions with equally murky backgrounds. He learns he is immortal, and his new friends are too. It's almost as if this group is somehow linked by fate...

Who are they? Why do they live forever?

Immortality loves company, so the group sets off on a quest for answers. They begin their long trek towards Olympus, home of the gods. Seems as good a place to start as any...

Features
  • Turn-based battles
  • Random encounters
  • Strengthen spells with touch-screen mini-games
  • Overkill enemies to regain MP
  • Learn new skills and spells at Temples and Statues
  • Use stylus or buttons for most actions

Characters
Lots of 'em!
  • The Hero - Heracles?
  • Leucos - Gender-confused companion
  • Axios - Popular with the ladies!
  • Heracles - Heracles?
  • Eris - Younger....looking?
  • Achilles - Quite the heel
  • Piaza - Queen of Athens
  • Agon - Mysterious black knight
  • General Heracles -
    Heracles?
  • Captain Gazus - Homesick pilgrim
  • Decleos - Pirate King

Box Art
616-sqDQJcL_SL500_.jpg

Images
B002EE5RKI_img01.jpg
B002EE5RKI_img02.jpg

B002EE5RKI_img03.jpg
magics-3.png

Videos
Launch Trailer
Gameplay Trailer #1
Gameplay Trailer #2
Gameplay Trailer #3
Gameplay Trailer #4

Interviews
Creator's Voice - Kazushige Nojima (Scenario Writer)
Developer Interviews

Reviews
Nintendo Power - 7/10
GameTrailers - 6.8/10
Digital Chumps - 7.2/10
Nintendo Life - 7/10

Japanese Official Thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298324

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
:lol

My copy should have arrived from Amazon, so hopefully I'll have some more to say tonight or later this weekend.
But the thread title SHOULD have read something to the effect of, "Official Glory of Heracles Thread of We Can't Pronounce (or 'Spell') Hercules!"

Mejilan said:

My copy should have arrived from Amazon, so hopefully I'll have some more to say tonight or later this weekend.
But the thread title SHOULD have read something to the effect of, "Official Glory of Heracles Thread of We Can't Pronounce (or 'Spell') Hercules!"

What?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Mejilan said:

Please Google Heracles.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mejilan said:

Greek spelling is Herakles, and the Roman version is Hercules, so...

Anyway, I'm over two hours in. Game is good so far. If you want a straight up traditional RPG on the DS, THIS IS IT.

Kishgal

Banned
Still waiting on my copy. The game should be a lot better if the battle speed has actually been improved. I really hope it has.

Mejilan

Didn't someone in the other thread compare Youtubes of the US version to his/her own experiences of the JP version and confirm that the battles were quite a bit faster?

Kishgal

Banned
Mejilan said:
Didn't someone in the other thread compare Youtubes of the US version to his/her own experiences of the JP version and confirm that the battles were quite a bit faster?
That was probably me. It looks faster, but I won't be sure until I actually experience it.

Mejilan

WanderingWind said:
Or, you just appeared to be the type who needed extra guidance. One or the other.

No extra guidance needed on my end. I know exactly what I typed, and why.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mejilan said:

IIRC someone actually confirmed they were faster. They seem fine to me. I haven't been irritated with the speed or anything.

Though as a gamer and a fan of Japanese games I'm glad they were faithful with the name, but as a huge Disney fan, why the fuck did they not make it Hercules?! :/

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Hero of Legend said:
Though as a gamer and a fan of Japanese games I'm glad they were faithful with the name, but as a huge Disney fan, why the fuck did they not make it Hercules?! :/
what the fuck is this?

WanderingWind

Mejilan said:
No extra guidance needed on my end. I know exactly what I typed, and why.

**woosh**

We seem to have a communication problem, you and I. :lol

Anyways, back OT. Anybody play the Japanese version? How long does this take to finish?

Kishgal

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
Glory of Heracles is a series that dates back to the NES, long before Disney did anything with him. But I don't see why Disney matters here anyway.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hero of Legend said:

Uh...

<_<

Mejilan

*scratches head*
I guess we are having a communication problem, since now I have no idea what it is that you're suggesting.

Bentendo

I'm confused. Is Heracles or Hercules correct? I was blown away when I found that people spelled and pronounced it differently than the Disney movie. :lol

zigg

Getting this tomorrow, yessir. Gotta finish Chronos Twin tonight :D

botticus said:
Leucos - Gender-confused companion

They're referring to Leucos as "she" in the dev interview, I just saw.

Mejilan

Bentendo said:
I'm confused. Is Heracles or Hercules correct? I was blown away when I found that people spelled and pronounced it differently than the Disney movie. :lol

It's already been mentioned, but, in a general sense:
Heracles = original Greek name
Hercules = Roman name

botticus

zigg said:
Getting this tomorrow, yessir. Gotta finish Chronos Twin tonight :D

They're referring to Leucos as "she" in the dev interview, I just saw.
You're ruining it for everyone!

Though the character description also calls her a tomboy, so it's kinda killed from the beginning.

Would have been nice to have the game today when I was sitting around doing nothing at work for 8 hours, but UPS says it has been delivered so I'll be diving in tonight.

WanderingWind

Mejilan said:
It's already been mentioned, but, in a general sense:
Heracles = original Greek name
Hercules = Roman name

See, I thought you were like the dude you just quoted. Forgive me.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If one was to buy someone an RPG for DS and it came down to Sands of Destruction or Glory of Heracles, which would be the better choice? Traditional RPGs are liked, so should be cool either way, not sure which is the better game tho. Reviews seem similar.

I just thought it would've made a lot more sense from a marketing standpoint to use Hercules, I mean wouldn't more people in NA know it as Hercules due to the Disney movie? Maybe not I guess...

Bentendo

Hero of Legend said:
I just thought it would've made a lot more sense from a marketing standpoint to use Hercules, I mean wouldn't more people in NA know it as Hercules due to the Disney movie? Maybe not I guess...

I'd say you're right. On Google Hercules has over 21,000,000 results, while Heracles only has around 2,500,00.

zigg

botticus said:
Would have been nice to have the game today when I was sitting around doing nothing at work for 8 hours, but UPS says it has been delivered so I'll be diving in tonight.

I've been holding out till tomorrow for the BB deal to get my extra RZ points. I'm pretty sure the starts January 22 thing was a copy-pasto (particularly as the same page says buying it at BB unlocks a special War Horse character--which is actually for the Red Dead Redemption promo immediately above) but I don't really feel like having to convince CS reps at some later date like I did for the Points cards they never sent me for NSMBW.

Crewnh said:
Why are there like...three guys named Heracles in this game?

Play the game to find out!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
John Harker said:
If one was to buy someone an RPG for DS and it came down to Sands of Destruction or Glory of Heracles, which would be the better choice? Traditional RPGs are liked, so should be cool either way, not sure which is the better game tho. Reviews seem similar.

Hmm. Haven't played Sands of Destruction yet. I might pick it up later after I finish this one though.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The battles in this game bug me. I want to be able to see all the enemies. The way the camera is, it often cuts off enemies to the right.

Any way to fix this? Am I missing some button that I can press to scan the perspective?

Mejilan

WanderingWind said:
See, I thought you were like the dude you just quoted. Forgive me.

I studied Greek mythology in my youth. While I recognize that Americans, at least, identify more with Hercules than Heracles, the former will never be anything more in my mind than an example of cultural thievery by Roman conquerors!

donny2112

Mejilan said:
cultural thievery by Roman conquerors!

<old creaky man voice>

Them Roman conquerors!

*shakes fist*

</old creaky man voice>

You can thank the Roman conquerors for keeping the Greek mythology relevant long past the ending of the actual nation that started it and spreading it to a much larger world (Rome at its peak was bigger than Alexander's territory, right?). It does lead to a lot of confusion between Greek and Roman names for the same person/deity, though. :p

Mejilan

donny2112 said:
You can thank the Roman conquerors for keeping the Greek mythology relevant long past the ending of the actual nation that started it and spreading it to a much larger world (Rome at its peak was bigger than Alexander's territory, right?). It does lead to a lot of confusion between Greek and Roman names for the same person/deity, though. :p

I know. I'm being funny. I'm neither Greek nor Roman, so strictly speaking, they're not even my traditions. Greek mythology = <3 though. Love the stuff. And in a purely subjective sense, I think the name Heracles sounds better than Hercules. So I'm happy Heracles is getting props... even if it is in a JRPG!

Mejilan

Just finished dumping the ROM. RPGs take too damn long, though at least this one isn't as massive as Suiko and Sands of Destruction!
Impressions... eventually.

Top Bottom