• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Glory of Heracles Thread of Hercules

botticus

I've been wandering around Troy a bit, hopefully someone can assist me.
I'm apparently supposed to find another way into the castle, but I didn't see anything else in the castle area, and there aren't exactly any other NPCs around to give me additional hints.

Edit: Gah, nevermind, I missed something.

botticus

Well crap, I think I sold some rusted armor before polishing it. And it was a boss drop, can only imagine how much of a waste that was!

Leaving Athens now. I've met all the main characters, but I haven't a clue how far along I am.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, I've been slacking off in my DS RPG purchases... what do you think would be the best to go with (I'm eventually gonna get all 3, of course) and play, after I'm done with Spirit Tracks?

-Nostalgia
-Heracles
-Sands of Destruction

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That's exactly the top 3 in my DS RPG backlog... :eek:
Gotta finish Spirit Tracks and Crimson Gem Saga first!

botticus

djtiesto said:
So, I've been slacking off in my DS RPG purchases... what do you think would be the best to go with (I'm eventually gonna get all 3, of course) and play, after I'm done with Spirit Tracks?

-Nostalgia
-Heracles
-Sands of Destruction
I've not decided if I'll even get SoD yet, but between the first two:

Heracles is about 10 hours longer, with a better story and all-around localization and occasionally more strategic battles. But in Nostalgia you get to fly an airship, and it has more optional content - Heracles is pretty much a straight shot to the end with a NG+.

I'm up to around the 25 hour mark now, the story seems to be picking up after a slow period. I'm getting much better at managing ether now to max out my productivity. And Eris is a turning into a beast.

botticus

This game must be a rousing success at retail!

Finished it up tonight, another one of those cases where the 34 hours I was able to put into it over the course of 8 days kinda speaks for my enjoyment.

The localization remained the high point till the end, though the battle system (particularly in the final battle) tended to become more strategic as you got accustomed to it and fought more complex enemy groups. The story was entertaining and ended on a nice note.

Not sure if I will replay it, but I'll keep it around in case I find myself interested in the NG+. And I do have 18% more items to collect...

botticus

Kagari said:
They really ramped up the enemy count in this ruins area, didn't they...
Yeah, you'll notice that moving forward. And the hard fights are like... hard. Usually more due to status effects.

kenji

does this game have subquests or backtracking? i'd like to revisit some cities

i have to enter in
trantia
now

really nice game, story and battle system are awesome

This game divided me. I like it but I was a little disappointed.

It had so much potential and the developers could've done a much better job if they just tried harder.

I mean it's a JRPG based on Greek myth, with anime character designs! It could've been truly something special. But they made it so mediocre and uninspired, I just felt so letdown.

I still enjoy it for what its worth. But I just know that it could've been so much more.

Either Nintendo told the developers to make it more accessible, less intimidating, dumbed down, or whatever, or they just don't know how to make a JRPG.

I think Im nearing the end, and I must say, I really do love this game. It introduces some great aspects to the tried and true jRPG formula, and does it while retaining the classic feel of the genre. I love things such as reflux, cowering/running away, attuned, etc, and I can see how further polish could really put a shine to them. If this game is given a few more iterations with improvements, Ill be ready put it on my list of favorites.

Hell, I want to put it on there right now.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This game divided me. I like it but I was a little disappointed.

It had so much potential and the developers could've done a much better job if they just tried harder.

I mean it's a JRPG based on Greek myth, with anime character designs! It could've been truly something special. But they made it so mediocre and uninspired, I just felt so letdown.

I still enjoy it for what its worth. But I just know that it could've been so much more.

Either Nintendo told the developers to make it more accessible, less intimidating, dumbed down, or whatever, or they just don't know how to make a JRPG.
I really understand where you are coming from, as the base set up almost begs for more fleshing out. It really is hard to not be disappointed with its achievements vs its potential, as it could provide some very unique things in theory. It does to some extent, but I see what you mean when, and you are exactly right. I would have loved a higher difficulty and more of a need to use some of the status effects, but I did enjoy it for what it was. The potential here has me extremely excited for the next few entries.

zigg

Huh. Maybe I just don't have a really wide-ranging experience with RPGs, but I felt like this one was doing a lot of little innovations around the edges that made battles a good deal of fun.

Towns put me to sleep, though. I debated skipping the shops in one entirely :lol

Month+ bump incoming!

I've been on a crazy Greek mythology high as of late- God of War, Lightning Thief and Clash of the Titans (1981 AND 2010). Would this game hamper the enjoyment of the storytelling? The reviews are hovering in the low 70s but the gameplay looks fun! (For an RPG amateur)

Mejilan

I'm roughly 30 hours in and must be approaching the end of the game (I'll be at Trantia very soon). God of War and plenty of older games long ago "broke" me into gaming's bastardization of beloved mythologies, so in that sense, I refuse to speak of it.

I will say that I'm enjoying the game WAY more than I ever thought I would.
It isn't hyperbole when I say that I find this to be one of the most refreshing and enjoyable turn-based combat systems in many years, that doesn't belong to a MegaTen title.

I've thoroughly broken the game with overleveling, but despite that, I'm still having a fantastic time. Something about 5 active party members armed with TOOOOOOONS of equipment and facing off against up to 10 individual enemies at once really makes me giddy!

Mejilan

That's a great effin' price for a really good traditional JRPG.
Seriously, if you're itching for a new portable RPG, and have no problems with random encounters and turn-based combat, then you can't go wrong.
I think I posted my final impressions in another thread (DS software recommendation thread, perhaps?), but I was really pleasantly surprised by this game. Highly recommended. SOOOOOO much loot to play around with as well. Constant upgrades being found, purchased, forged, or enhanced.

john tv

Mejilan said:
That's a great effin' price for a really good traditional JRPG.
Seriously, if you're itching for a new portable RPG, and have no problems with random encounters and turn-based combat, then you can't go wrong.
I think I posted my final impressions in another thread (DS software recommendation thread, perhaps?), but I was really pleasantly surprised by this game. Highly recommended. SOOOOOO much loot to play around with as well. Constant upgrades being found, purchased, forged, or enhanced.
I tried searching but couldn't find anything -- any chance of you digging them up and posting them here as well?

Aeana

The improvements that were made to the US version really went a long way toward making the game more fun. As I've posted before, the Japanese version upset me so much that I didn't feel like playing any games for months... but with the changes, it's really a pretty good game. Not my favorite Glory of Heracles game (that's probably 3), but good and worthy of the series.

Mejilan

john tv said:
I tried searching but couldn't find anything -- any chance of you digging them up and posting them here as well?

Woops! Sorry, I must have missed your response. As it turns out, I must have posted the more robust impressions in another thread, and if so, I don't remember which. This is all I posted in the 'Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation' thread:

Mejilan said:
Finished GoH about a month ago and I positively loved it. Very pleasant surprise. Combat is incredibly meaty and strategic. Doesn't hurt that for the US version, they sped up the combat by a factor of 3 (or so) over the original JP version. TOOOOOOONS of loot and equipment as well. Very satisfying.
If you don't mind turn-based combat, random battles, and an unorthodox take on Greek mythology, you could do far worse than GoH.

Not that different from what I posted here, sadly.

lostzenfound

Just bumping to add that this is now $11 with a $10 game credit at Amazon as well. So anyone with game credit from Galaxy 2 or anything else recently can get this game for free from Amazon. You will lose .99 cent of your game credit, and that's it.

Free shipping for over $25 or Prime... blah, blah, you know the rest.

kiryogi

Banned
Ive been tempted myself. When I picked up Trauma Team, noticed how much Heracles was. D: I'm still on the fence even if its super cheap.

kiryogi said:
Ive been tempted myself. When I picked up Trauma Team, noticed how much Heracles was. D: I'm still on the fence even if its super cheap.

My opinion after a completion of 38 hours it wasn't very interesting and the game hold your hand throughout the entire affair. Worried you aren't strong enough at a point? A weapon of set of skills will be available to disregard that notion. In short, this is one of those games you beat and may not really remember for anything.

So did this game come with a $10 credit from Amazon or not? I bought it together with Mario Kart Wii ($40 + $10 credit at the time) but I only got one $10 off. Or can you only get one credit per order? (if yes, that's bullshit)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Allan Holdsworth said:
So did this game come with a $10 credit from Amazon or not? I bought it together with Mario Kart Wii ($40 + $10 credit at the time) but I only got one $10 off. Or can you only get one credit per order? (if yes, that's bullshit)
Welcome to the Amazon Promotional Credit Roulette!
  • Did you order the games in time? Both the Mario Kart and Glory of Heracles promotions ended weeks ago.
  • Did you make sure to order through amazon and not one of their third party sellers?
  • Did you make sure that you got an email/order summary mentioning the promotional credit?
  • Did you make sure not to use one-click ordering?
Otherwise, you might be a victim of the deal's vagueness. While pre-orders are always considered their own deal, already released games that Amazon gives this treatment to are combined based on who they're price matching. So lets say Walmart hypothetically makes a promotional credit deal on Games X and Y, which Amazon then matches themselves. The deals on Game X and Y will be considered the same deal and can only be redeemed once, even if you buy both. Which deals are combined like this are hard to determined retrospectively though.

And of course Amazon might have just screwed up! :p

Usually talking to an Amazon representative yields a moderate success ratio in getting your credit (and if you don't get the answer you want you can just ask another representative). But because these deals ended a while ago I'm not sure how successful you're going to be in getting the credit anyway. But you might as well try asking either via Amazon's Live Chat or email.

grandjedi6 said:
Welcome to the Amazon Promotional Credit Roulette!
  • Did you order the games in time? Both the Mario Kart and Glory of Heracles promotions ended weeks ago.
  • Did you make sure to order through amazon and not one of their third party sellers?
  • Did you make sure that you got an email/order summary mentioning the promotional credit?
  • Did you make sure not to use one-click ordering?
Otherwise, you might be a victim of the deal's vagueness. While pre-orders are always considered their own deal, already released games that Amazon gives this treatment to are combined based on who they're price matching. So lets say Walmart hypothetically makes a promotional credit deal on Games X and Y, which Amazon then matches themselves. The deals on Game X and Y will be considered the same deal and can only be redeemed once, even if you buy both. Which deals are combined like this are hard to determined retrospectively though.

And of course Amazon might have just screwed up! :p

Usually talking to an Amazon representative yields a moderate success ratio in getting your credit (and if you don't get the answer you want you can just ask another representative). But because these deals ended a while ago I'm not sure how successful you're going to be in getting the credit anyway. But you might as well try asking either via Amazon's Live Chat or email.

I ordered them when a while ago, both supposedly came with a $10 credit. They were both sold by Amazon. I got an email saying I got a promotional credit usable until 7/31, I assumed it was $20, not $10. Then I emailed Amazon, and they gave me a vague answer: either I only got $10 because you can't get more than 1 promotional credit per order, or I could only use one promotional credit per order so the other would show up after I made an order. Well I pre-ordered Metroid Other M and used the $10 credit, but now the other $10 isn't showing up.

I really didn't know that you could only get one credit per order (if this is indeed the case), since I rarely use Amazon. Any chance that I may get it? (by begging?)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This was well worth the $0.99 I paid for it an prolly much more. I marathon'd this over the weekend an finished just shy of the 26 hour mark. It was kind of a bland game early on but things picked up around the time Axion joined and things went up from there. The characters and their interaction/dialogue were great and the story got pretty good to, cool of them keeping mysteries to the very end which was possible cause of all the amnesia going around lol. Oh ya nice music to.

I coulda done with much less undead baddies and auto-battling where the AI doesn't choose random actions that hurt more then help but I guess thats what I get for not wanting to pay attention to every single battle. btw this game was ungrindable what is up with that? I could get a level or two per area/dungeon but beyond that it would take many many battles just ta nudge that exp bars along! I love me some grinding but this game just made it feel hopeless! I vaguely recall some psone rpg doing the same to me in the past, forget what it was but it bothered me all the same! Plus the chance of running into a super hard battle kinda made me not wanna stick around an area to long and hurry along to the next point.

I never played FF13 but from all the complaints about it I think it mighta actually learned something from this game. Cause GoH is super linear and its towns are nearly pointless! Stupid Leucos made me feel bad about looting peoples stuff so I never did so I quit going in houses an talking random people. Plus stopping in at shops is only something ya need ta do once in awhile, every couple towns or so which made 'em even less useful. Not saying they shoulda be removed completely but I was so not compelled to explore 'em. No sidequests either not that the party needed even more distractions from their quest!

Linear as it may be it still had a decent length, good story, great characters, fun battling (except against annoying baddies), an nice music!

Llyranor

Since this is really cheap nowadays, thinking about picking it up.

From what I remember, the battle system seemed interesting, with you being to set up 'reactions' to specific occurences in battle. Does the combat remain fresh and tactical throughout the game? Does it outstay its welcome?

How's the general pacing? How's the random encounter rate?

Thanks.

I recently tried to play this game. Put about ten hours into it, and in spite of a very clever localization, it's probably the most dull RPG I've played in ages. Like, it's not horrible? But it's the RPG equivalent of a plain hot dog. I doubt I'll ever go back and finish it.

How does this game stack up in 2016?

I recently picked up Donkey Kong: King of Swing, by the same developer, and I've been pleasantly surprised. The controls are novel, but the level design is something else.

Once you get past the first three levels, which are a bit dull, the game seems to follow that traditional of a new mechanic every level, and I've been amazed at how much Paon have been able to wring out of the concept of a platformer with your hands.

So I'm interested in trying this (well, importing it)

Top Bottom