• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

patsu

Deepblue said:
I'm curious, was there this much drooling over PGR3's photomode?

IMHO - it looks as great if not better (cockpit view FTW).

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/8120/pgr3315rr.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/xbox360pictures/Picture383.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/xbox360pictures/Picture385.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/antd/new5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/leeeeee/tvr.jpg
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5470/pgr3175ac.jpg

Though it is more stylized - more movie/less stock footage - technically it is extremely accomplished in comparison and retrospect.

Nice ! But even a graphics numb-nut like me can tell it's a few notches below the GTHD demo. PD should come out and say how many % they are using PS3 now. :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
TTP said:
Anyone noticed the track is actually reflected in real time on the side mirrors? (during gameplay no less)
From what I saw I think it's "just" the cubic reflection map used for the car, not an accurate side mirror reflection. It's difficult to say from that distance.

DCharlie

Banned
Honestly, I can't believe this is a free game, with more to come. I take back all the nasty things I said about Sony, all is forgiven!

*rubs self against PS3 furiously*

MR_N , TTP - i've been nothing but loving towards the good PS3 games so far... it's just that that is basically RR7 (if you didn't play the X360 version), Resistance (a GoTY) contender, and now this... Motorstorm is good, but ultimately the JPN release is too bare. i'd love to love the rest, but it's not my fault that they aren't any good. I'm doing you guys a service here, i could hype the crap all up to shit but then my credibility would be shot to shit when you all buy it and find the games are utter gash.

Seriously, you'll thank me for it one day.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DCharlie said:
just tried.

MASSIVE MASSIVE improvement over the demo running in stores and at TGS.

I'm sorry , i know there are opinions that differ, but people who don't find this impressive looking really are already dead.

PS3 is finally showing it's metal. Very impressive.

You know what, I'm really wondering how far PDI will go with GT5. I mean, this is all crazy good, but is this really the 0.0001% of what GT5 will be? Think about (hopefully) more than just 6 cars in the race, better environments, damages (?), more detail (skid marks on the asphalt? weather changes? parallax mapped deformable mud?)... is that really possible at 60fps/1080p with this model detail?!?

Not that I dont have faith in PDI and the PS3 power, but still...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Blimblim said:
From what I saw I think it's "just" the cubic reflection map used for the car, not an accurate side mirror reflection. It's difficult to say from that distance.

Of course! It's the same reflection map used for the environment mapping on the car. I was not assuming there is some kind of ray tracing going on :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
patsu said:
Nice ! But even a graphics numb-nut like me can tell it's a few notches below the GTHD demo. PD should come out and say how many % they are using PS3 now. :p

Not to mention PGR3 runs at half the frame rate. Which makes a huge difference.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
TTP said:
Of course! It's the same reflection map used for the environment mapping on the car. I was not assuming there is some kind of ray tracing going on :lol
Well they could have done it if they were crazy enough to do it. You made it sound like it was a big deal ;)
You could the exact same thing when playing with the camera settings in PGR2.

mr_nothin

Banned
DCharlie said:

MR_N , TTP - i've been nothing but loving towards the good PS3 games so far... it's just that that is basically RR7 (if you didn't play the X360 version), Resistance (a GoTY) contender, and now this... Motorstorm is good, but ultimately the JPN release is too bare. i'd love to love the rest, but it's not my fault that they aren't any good. I'm doing you guys a service here, i could hype the crap all up to shit but then my credibility would be shot to shit when you all buy it and find the games are utter gash.

I was just messing...
It's just the general feel people on GAF get from you i guess
:p

Flo_Evans

DCharlie said:

I appreciate your brutal honestly. + the fact the you buy pretty much everygame there is for sale so you know WTF you are talking about when half of the peoples opinions on this forum are formed from screenshots and videos :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Blimblim said:
Well they could have done it if they were crazy enough to do it. You made it sound like it was a big deal ;)
You could the exact same thing when playing with the camera settings in PGR2.

Shut up and add me to your friends list! :D

;)

Yoboman

Gold Member
TTP said:
You know what, I'm really wondering how far PDI will go with GT5. I mean, this is all crazy good, but is this really the 0.0001% of what GT5 will be? Think about (hopefully) more than just 6 cars in the race, better environments, damages (?), more detail (skid marks on the asphalt? weather changes? parallax mapped deformable mud?)... is that really possible at 60fps/1080p with this model detail?!?

Not that I dont have faith in PDI and the PS3 power, but still...
We know they're great with graphics, but they've NEVER shown any aptitude for interaction. So there's no guarantees there

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I was just checking the rankings and WTF people have been exploiting the tunnel glitch like crazy :(

It will soon be impossible to get into the top 10 playing fair.

Time to concentrate on the drift trials only I guess.

DCharlie

Banned
lol
i just got the Championship White Integra Type R
And as it showed me the model with the nice music i blurted out the phrase "OH **** OFF!!!!"

Christ - there's a car sticking out of my projector!

Modelling <3 <3 <3 <3

cedric69

As awesome as this is (ie. very), am I the only one left with the sensation that this is some kind of awesome damage control on Sony's side?

They needed something to show off the machine capabilities and they needed it quick.

For videogamers, competition FTW! :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Naomi said:
What is the tunnel glitch?

There are some impossible best lap times out there. Like 10 secs less than the best you can get. But if you download the replay of those times, you see the runs actually end about 2 miles before the finishing line, more specifically while approaching the exit of a tunner (hence the "tunnel glitch").

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
cedric69 said:
As awesome as this is (ie. very), am I the only one left with the sensation that this is some kind of awesome damage control on Sony's side?

They needed something to show off the machine capabilities and they needed it quick.

For videogamers, competition FTW! :)

Nah, it's just a Christmas present. Sony is nice. ;)

TTP said:
There are some impossible best lap times out there. Like 10 secs less than the best you can get. But if you download the replay of those times, you see the runs actually end about 2 miles before the finishing line, more specifically while approaching the exit of a tunner (hence the "tunnel glitch").

either you don't know what a mile is or you are a very bad judge of distance.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
dark_preacher said:
either you don't know what a mile is or you are a very bad judge of distance.

Or it's a casual exaggeration to help demonstrate why it's a glitch.

Graphics Horse said:
I wouldn't try to add that much contrast to the alps, here's a picture of the real location:
286152524_135a64d241_o.jpg

I'm not sure if the textures come from satellite photos or photos from the ground, but the shadows look like they need to have a more blueish tint to them, as they're quite well lit from the bright sky. I think this is why they look a bit too washed out.

Somebody needs to buy a UV filter.

DCharlie said:
just tried.

MASSIVE MASSIVE improvement over the demo running in stores and at TGS.

I'm sorry , i know there are opinions that differ, but people who don't find this impressive looking really are already dead.

PS3 is finally showing it's metal. Very impressive.

'Finally' seems like a strange choice of words when you think how long the PS3 has been on the market. :)

pgr3 looks really good. but it looks video game good. you can immediately tell its a video game. whilst gthd just blurs reality and videogame image. amazing

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Awesome, got my name in the top 10 for two cars in Drift Trial... G35 and Lancer EVO IV.... but I didn't even play it!

Thanks to my friend for playing while I was watching Rocky Balboa!

f@luS

More than a member.
cank stoochie said:
pgr3 looks really good. but it looks video game good. you can immediately tell its a video game. whilst gthd just blurs reality and videogame image. amazing

yeah + 600p@30fps against 1080p@60fps...Its 4 times more for gt almost :eek:

/troll

MarkMan said:
Awesome, got my name in the top 10 for two cars in Drift Trial... G35 and Lancer EVO IV.... but I didn't even play it!

Thanks to my friend for playing while I was watching Rocky Balboa!

i'm like 22 with the integra on drift trial.

RaijinFY

I just cant understand how they did this...

1080p + 60fps + HDR...? And yet the game will look even better?

2008 should be an interesting year for the PS3.

Yoboman

Gold Member
RaijinFY said:
I just cant understand how they did this...

1080p + 60fps + HDR...? And yet the game will look even better?

2008 should be an interesting year for the PS3.
With damage, more cars and interactive enviroments too. PD are gonna blow us away like they did with GT1 and 3

I don't think this looks that fantastic tbh.

In gameplay, I'm running this at 1080P, and there's jaggies everywhere. Fortunately, if you sit at a fair distance away, they're miniscule due to the high res, but close up they stand out like a sore thumb. It's nice that it runs at 60FPS, but due to the lack of additional camera motion (like in PGR's cockpit view) or motion blur, it 'feels' less realistic. The characters stood around the track look really artificial.

It's certainly nice in motion - 60FPS feels so smooooth - but stop your car and things aren't so pretty. Replays are really nice - hence the nice screencaps in this thread - but then that's running at half the framerate, so what do you expect?

It's the usual GT formula of really impressive replays next to uglier in-game graphics. At least PGR3 got rid of this - both looked as good and the only time it 'cheated' was in photo-mode (an extra dollop of AA on top, thankyou very much). Back to the PS3, I don't care about the 1080P resolution, aesthetics-wise Motorstorm gives this a good beating (as does PGR, imho).

Gameplay-wise, same old GT. Nothing new to see here, imo, bar some added momentum. I'll have to play some more to really make my mind up though (only have the first three cars so far).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
daddyorchips said:
I don't think this looks that fantastic tbh.

In gameplay, I'm running this at 1080P, and there's jaggies everywhere. Fortunately, if you sit at a fair distance away, they're miniscule due to the high res, but close up they stand out like a sore thumb. It's nice that it runs at 60FPS, but due to the lack of additional camera motion (like in PGR's cockpit view) or motion blur, it 'feels' less realistic. The characters stood around the track look really artificial.

It's certainly nice in motion - 60FPS feels so smooooth - but stop your car and things aren't so pretty. Replays are really nice - hence the nice screencaps in this thread - but then that's running at half the framerate, so what do you expect?

It's the usual GT formula of really impressive replays next to uglier in-game graphics. At least PGR3 got rid of this - both looked as good and the only time it 'cheated' was in photo-mode (an extra dollop of AA on top, thankyou very much). Back to the PS3, I don't care about the 1080P resolution, aesthetics-wise Motorstorm gives this a good beating (as does PGR, imho).

Gameplay-wise, same old GT. Nothing new to see here, imo, bar some added momentum. I'll have to play some more to really make my mind up though (only have the first three cars so far).

Do you mean PGR3 doesn't "cheat" because it's 30fps + motion blur both in game and during replays while GTHD is like that only during replays?

So you prefer 30fps + blur over 60fps with no blur?

Thanks god PDI thinks 60fps > 30fps honestly.

On a side note, comparing a work in progress "concept" demo with a finished game doesn't make any sense. Car models comparison is ok. The rest is not.

Vibri

Banned
daddyorchips said:

That's like saying: "design-wise, it's typical Ferrari". GT is already king of driving sims so that plus increased realism is dandy for most folks.

Vibri said:
That's like saying: "design-wise, it's typical Ferrari". GT is already king of driving sims so that plus increased realism is dandy for most folks.

Perhaps, but in no way is it trying to better itself. Perhaps they've saving that for GT5?

Vibri said:

King of driving sims? Have you played Gran Prix Legends by Sierra, or even Sega's F355 Challenge? If you think the driving in gt is realistic you are very mistaken.

TTP said:
Do you mean PGR3 doesn't "cheat" because it's 30fps + motion blur both in game and during replays while GTHD is like that only during replays?

So you prefer 30fps + blur over 60fps with no blur?

Thanks god PDI thinks 60fps > 30fps honestly.

On a side note, comparing a work in progress "concept" demo with a finished game doesn't make any sense. Car models comparison is ok. The rest is not.

Well at least the 30fps + blur is consistent, throughout replays and in-game. The inconsistency of GT HD sticks out like a sour thumb.

Also, everyone is going stir crazy over the graphics. From the replays. At 30FPS.

In-game runs at 60FPS because it looks like arse. Well, it doesn't look shockingly bad, but it has a complete lack of AA and very few next-gen effects (high res + some HDR does not equal next-gen, imo). It looks like GT4, but in HD. Which, I guess, is EXACTLY what it says on the tin. Just a pity there's jaggies everywhere (is that part of GT's heritage too? ;)). You'd think they could have fixed that.

f@luS

More than a member.
daddyorchips said:
Well at least the 30fps + blur is consistent, throughout replays and in-game. The inconsistency of GT HD sticks out like a sour thumb.

Also, everyone is going stir crazy over the graphics. From the replays. At 30FPS.

In-game runs at 60FPS because it looks like arse. Well, it doesn't look shockingly bad, but it has a complete lack of AA and very few next-gen effects (high res + some HDR does not equal next-gen, imo). It looks like GT4, but in HD. Which, I guess, is EXACTLY what it says on the tin. Just a pity there's jaggies everywhere (is that part of GT's heritage too? ;)). You'd think they could have fixed that.

take similar tracks...

From what i saw , this GTHD demo utterly destroy a similar track in PGR3 (take nurburgring for exemple)
Much better looking car by far (most realistic) , and pgr3 has a lot of aliasing too

f@luS said:
take similar tracks...

From what i saw , this GTHD demo utterly destroy a similar track in PGR3 (take nurburgring for exemple)
Much better looking car by far (most realistic) , and pgr3 has a lot of aliasing too

PGR3 has 2xAA, which is better than none.

Basically, with respect to their IN-GAME graphics (i.e. whilst actually playing the game), PGR3 looks better than GT:HD. GT:HD has nicer lighting and shadowing in its replay mode however, which makes cars look more realistic, as pointed out in this thread. However, it's doing this at the hindrance of framerate, which has to drop down to 30FPS.

If they could make the game look as good as it does in replay mode, but during gameplay, AND perhaps run it at 60FPS, I guess I would be experiencing the OMFGWTFWOW feeling too! :lol

Would I take the sacrifice of framerate so they could keep things looking so nice in-game? Perhaps! :) Sounds like the PGR3 solution, no?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this is an early version of the gt5 engine -- what they were calling "gt hd premium" when they were going to release it on disc. "gt hd classic" was gt4 in hi-def. and it's almost worth the dirtying of this thread to watch you talk yourself into errors and absurdities.

Elios83

daddyorchips said:
I am right in thinking this is just a version of GT4 in HD though right? I thought GT5 was being built up with an entirely different next-gen engine?

This was not in stealth mode!!!:lol :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
daddyorchips said:
Well, it doesn't look shockingly bad, but it has a complete lack of AA and very few next-gen effects (high res + some HDR does not equal next-gen, imo). It looks like GT4, but in HD. Which, I guess, is EXACTLY what it says on the tin.

It's not actually. This is the 'premium' side of GT HD i.e. the GT5 Prologue/Concept/demo.

The challenge of graphics ultimately boils down to the modelling of the interaction of light - with surfaces, with the camera/eye etc. That GT5 does such an exquisite job with its lighting runs entirely contrary to your claims re. a lack of "next-gen effects", asides from the modelling, the resolution. If you have high resolution, brilliant modelling, and an amazing lighting/surface modelling then you are a long way towards being 'there' in terms of rendering quality, and GT5 has all of these things. There are imperfections you can highlight in isolation, but when you take it as the sum of its parts, the picture is quite literally beautiful.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
kevm3 said:
36d1dcb306.jpg

If this is the game, it's amazing how they got the metal logo to shine...

Yep that's the game. I took that picture myself. The metal logo and the reflections on the car makes it look so real.

drohne said:
and it's almost worth the dirtying of this thread to watch you talk yourself into errors and absurdities.

Errr right. I've got no hidden agendas here. I'm just both disappointed with this demo and surprised at all the praise its graphics are getting. Looks like the thread could do with some rational comments (after all the gushing).

gofreak said:
It's not actually. This is the 'premium' side of GT HD i.e. the GT5 Prologue/Concept/demo.

The challenge of graphics ultimately boils down to the modelling of the interaction of light - with surfaces, with the camera/eye etc. That GT5 does such an exquisite job with its lighting runs entirely contrary to your claims re. a lack of "next-gen effects", asides from the modelling, the resolution. If you have high resolution, brilliant modelling, and an amazing lighting/surface modelling then you are a long way towards being 'there' in terms of rendering quality, and GT5 has all of these things. There are imperfections you can highlight in isolation, but when you take it as the sum of its parts, the picture is quite literally beautiful.

Cheers for correcting me - I didn't realise that.

Still, the brilliant modelling isn't something that hits you in the face. At least, not during gameplay.

I'll have to take some in-game snaps and host them to support my comments. So far, all we've seen are replay shots, which don't get a fair impression of how the game looks when played.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Yeah daddy..you're the last bastion of rationale thought in this thread.... HUGE :rolleyes

Top Bottom