• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GTA: Episodes/Ballad of Gay Tony Thread of Extreme Base Jumping.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can't wait. I loved GTAIV but I still haven't even played Lost and Damned, but I'll be picking up the Episodes disc this weekend. Any GAFfers gonna be playing this online? I never really got into it with the original game but the base jumping alone looks awesome. Have they added any new co-op missions since the original game? That was the only part of the multi that I really enjoyed.

mileS

-viper- said:
I haven't gone past the first few missions in GTA4 because of the awful controls. They feel completely unresponsive and slow to be honest. The framerate is also pretty bad. It isn't even a fixed 30FPS game.

Consider 90% of games these days aren't either I don't see your point. Expecting an open world game like GTA to have a locked frame rate isn't realistic.

Barrett2

Jtyettis said:
Official website says the 29th. Sure would be nice to pick up tonight while I'm at Gamestop at midnight tonight anyways, but I'm doubtful.

I wish this arrived tomorrow, then I could pick up it the same time I grabTekken at Best Buy.

Dabanton

I wonder what R* publicity spend is on this? Over here in london they have basically covered nearly every single bus with ad's for the game.

FrankT

lawblob said:
I wish this arrived tomorrow, then I could pick up it the same time I grabTekken at Best Buy.

Release date is just kind of weird all around. I haven't seen too many official release dates on a Thursday. Perhaps it's more to do with the download version than anything, but then again I have no idea why MS could not release this on Tuesday either.

Dabanton said:
I wonder what R* publicity spend is on this? Over here in london they have basically covered nearly every single bus with ad's for the game.

Nice, of course that is likely a bit of co-marketing with MS if I had to guess.

feel

24wefwp.jpg

*Drools*

I hope there is a parachute cheatcode. After I beat the story, I wanna be able to fool around a lot with the parachuting.

Double dipping on TLAD because I will prefer to have the Episodes on a standalone disc for various reasons. Extra station is a cool bonus.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Pissed about the extra content being on the disc but really I'll be too busy base jumping and playing with sticky bombs to care.

Yoshi256

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
damn why do i have to buy the disc just to get vice city fm?! =(

I understand you.

Now I'm finally tired of DLC, I just will ignore that rip-off in future.

Every buyer of Episodes of Liberty City that already bought TLAD via XBOX Live should get a compensation.

I complained about the car controls but I got used to them. I didn't really like the missions in GTA 4. They were too scripted and pretty boring IMO. I heard TLAD has way better missions though.

FrankT

Letters said:
*Drools*

I hope there is a parachute cheatcode. After I beat the story, I wanna be able to fool around a lot with the parachuting.

Double dipping on TLAD because I will prefer to have the Episodes on a standalone disc for various reasons. Extra station is a cool bonus.

You will be able to get a parachute "you can use at any time" (GI words here) if you perform well enough in the parachute challenges. The parachute will appear in your safe house once you have performed well enough in the challenges.

The controls in GTA IV are fine...it's the palpable sense of laginess and delayed reaction inherent to having so much procedural animation/AI/physics systems that makes it feel looser and less controllable even if it looks more realistic. TLaD cleaned it up a bit and it felt a bit snappier, IMO, with the shortened anims and seemingly more interruptible common action ones. Hopefully, there's a similar amount of tweaking in TBoGT.

bridegur

Tobor said:
Yeah, I never understood the whining about the controls, I had no issues with them.

I had no trouble with the car controls, but the on-foot stuff was embarrassing for such a high-budget game. Tapping a button to run is absurd, and jumping felt like Niko was in a potato sack race.

Amir0x

Banned
There is extra content on the disc-only edition? Laaame.

But it's Vice City FM! Holy fucking goddamn shit! Consumer whore confirmed, purchase confirmed :(

StoOgE said:
NYC is basically covered in ads for this and V.
V the tv show? Yeah I'm kind of interested in that. I kinda liked it when I was a kid even though it was hard for me to follow. But it had lizard people.

Glad I held out on Lost and the Dead. I can't wait to get back to Liberty city with this new expansion.

So with the achievements how does this work? Does the retail disc only have 500 and ring up as an all-new game, are all the point values doubled and does it have 1000 or does it just come up as GTA4? If it just comes up as GTA4 with the same achievements like the Halo 3 multiplayer disc on ODST & Lips #1 hits that'd be great.

Fox Mulder

APZonerunner said:
So with the achievements how does this work? Does the retail disc only have 500 and ring up as an all-new game, are all the point values doubled and does it have 1000 or does it just come up as GTA4? If it just comes up as GTA4 with the same achievements like the Halo 3 multiplayer disc on ODST & Lips #1 hits that'd be great.

likely just comes up as GTA4. Seems to be a proper way to get around having to worry about that stuff much. Better than doing it like all the Rock Band track packs with their standalone 250 points.

SlickVic

Yoshi256 said:
I understand you.

Now I'm finally tired of DLC, I just will ignore that rip-off in future.

Every buyer of Episodes of Liberty City that already bought TLAD via XBOX Live should get a compensation.

I was a bit annoyed by this but then I realized I can just stream the Vice City soundtrack from my computer and call it a day. I am not spending $20 extra for this disc just for a radio station.

kylej

Banned
Vice City FM holy mackeral. I listened to VCPR so much that I used to have large portions of it memorized. That script is Lazlow's magnum opus.

Patting myself on the back for resisting TLatD when it was first released.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im waiting for my game credits from Forza to kick in from amazon and then im gonna go order it. Hopefully i get it before the weekend. It is coming up as arriving on November 2nd even with overnight shipping.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll probably pick up the retail, mostly because I didn't get the previous expansion as a download.

I'm psyched for the return of parachutes. I didn't care for the planes or boats in Vice City/San Andeas, but getting up high and just parachuting was nice.

FrankT

GTA Episodes: Death from Above

Take a leap of faith with a parachute strapped to your back.

October 26, 2009 - When GTA IV hit store shelves in April 2008, gamers discovered that leaping out of a helicopter or diving off the roof of a skyscraper meant death for your character. That's no longer the case with the release of The Ballad of Gay Tony. On October 29, you will believe a man can glide.

Parachutes come to Liberty City, opening up some new gameplay options. Leaping out of choppers and base jumping off buildings play a role in some of the missions, but it really comes to life when you are just screwing around in the city.

There are two types of base jump challenges. The first has you leaping from a chopper, pulling your chute and then guiding your character through a series of rings before landing on a stationary target on the ground. The other has you jump off a building, pull your chute and land on a moving truck.

Controlling yourself as you fall is easy enough. Rip open your chute when you feel the ground is getting a little too close for comfort, then use the triggers to steer left and right. Pull your legs up to accelerate forward or hold them down to slow yourself for a precision landing.

The only catch with parachutes is that you can only equip one at a time, meaning that you'll need to resupply after any just-for-fun jump. And there really are a lot of fun jumps. My favorite is tossing a sticky bomb to the back of a motorcycle for an epic air bang. Hit a big jump, hop off the bike while airborne, activate the sticky bomb as you pull your chute. Why do this? Uh, why wouldn't you want to do this?

The chute also allows for some great escapes out of building windows when things get too hot for comfort or from an attack chopper that's about to blow. No, the chute doesn't make an appearance in Niko's GTA IV storyline nor is it available in The Lost and Damned. You'll have to play The Ballad of Gay Tony (also available in GTA: Episodes from Liberty City) to experience the parachute. It does roll into multiplayer, though. Which may just lead to some of the craziest battles ever.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/103/1039213p1.html

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have to say these episodes have been far more substantial and enticing than i thought they were going to be. Cant wait till thursday!

AkuMifune

Banned
Awww hell yeah! Time to get into GTA again. It's the perfect window of opportunity for me before the next wave of releases.

Tobor said:
Yeah, I never understood the whining about the controls, I had no issues with them.

Agreed. Once mastered I found them far more rewarding than the driving in the other GTA's.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Real quick again, how long was TLatD? Is Gay Tony going to be about the same length? I can't really psych myself up for a 30 hr game anymore, but would love a ~5 hr version with the narrative quality of GTA4.

FrankT

bistromathics said:
Real quick again, how long was TLatD? Is Gay Tony going to be about the same length? I can't really psych myself up for a 30 hr game anymore, but would love a ~5 hr version with the narrative quality of GTA4.

TLAD was about 7-10 hours. I'm not sure I have ran across any given length yet except maybe ballpark of TLAD iirc.

newsguy said:
That was posted earlier. The old man's cane is shaped like a cock :lol

The question is, will this TV show be included in the downloadable version of Gay Tony? I've heard there will be extra content on the Disc version ($40).

newsguy

Solideliquid said:
The question is, will this TV show be included in the downloadable version of Gay Tony? I've heard there will be extra content on the Disc version ($40).

I was under the impression that the Vice City radio station was the only thing exclusive to the disc.

newsguy said:
I was under the impression that the Vice City radio station was the only thing exclusive to the disc.

I think that's the case. It's the only thing they're advertising as being exclusive to the disc anyway, and there's no reason to not include something else if there is something else.

Walshicus

One thing I hope is improved is the integration of the three games. When LatD came out I was really frustrated by how the lack of proper menu really complicated switching between, and how poorly the multiplayer of the two was handled. Multiplayer shouldn't have been split between the three titles, there should have been one multiplayer mode with options extended if DLC was present...

dejay

Banned
I just realised that someone (not me 'cause that's illegal) could download the Vice City FM chatter and play it whilst playing. Not quite the same, and obviously there's no real time news that follows the player, but someone (again, not me) probably won't mind that because they'll only be listening a couple of times through it to hear the jokes.

Hyped for Princess Robot Bubblegum :)

Z_Y

Is there a tracklist for Vice City FM?

Can't believe I'm thinking of double dipping on TLaD just to get one station but...damn it...the music in GTA is always a big part of the game for me. Especially an 80s station. I saw a trailer last night featuring the Roxette song and I think it sold me.

gg Rockstar

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait! After TLAD I know this is gonna be solid as all hell. Totally ready!

FrankT

Z_Y said:
Is there a tracklist for Vice City FM?

Can't believe I'm thinking of double dipping on TLaD just to get one station but...damn it...the music in GTA is always a big part of the game for me. Especially an 80s station. I saw a trailer last night featuring the Roxette song and I think it sold me.

gg Rockstar

You can get a listen preview here;

Featuring:"History" by Mai Tai
"I Can't Wait" by Nu Shooz
"The Politics of Dancing" by Re-Flex
& much more...

http://www.rockstargames.com/theballadofgaytony/soundtrack

Scroll to the bottom for Vice City FM.

Z_Y

Jtyettis said:
You can get a listen preview here;

http://www.rockstargames.com/theballadofgaytony/soundtrack

Scroll to the bottom for Vice City FM.

Thank you. At first I was like "I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz? ...that doesn't sound familiar"...then I listened to the preview.....SOLD! :lol I'm such a sucker.

I wish there was a way to have every station (chatter included) that ever appeared in a GTA game at my disposal as I prance around the city. I guess it is possible...but it would be a lot of work...and probably not "legal".

randrews said:
Apperently there's some people that already have a copy of Episodes from Liberty City, they've already posted a listing of the VCFM track list.

It is as follows:

Buffalo Stance - Nanesh Cherry
Breakout - Swingshot Sister
C'est La Vie - Robbie Nevill
Cuddily Toy - Roachford
Divine Emotions - Norada Michael Walden
Find the time - Five star
Heart and soul - T'pau
History - Mai tai
I can't wait - Nu Shooz
I don't want a lover - Texas
Kayleigh - Marillion
Labour of love - Hue & cry
Love changes (everything) - Climle Fisher
Maneater - Hall & Oats
Misfit - Curiosity Killed the Cat
People hold on - Lisa Stansfield
Something about You - Level 42
Stay with me tonight - Jefferey Osbourne
Teardrops - Womack & Womack
The look - Roxette
The Politics of Dancing - Re-flex
Voices Carry - 'Till Tuesday
Waiting for a star to fall - Boy meets Girl
When Love Breaks Down - Prefab Sprout
Wishing Well - Terence Trent D' Arby
Wishing I was Lucky - Wet Wet Wet
Wood Beez (Pray like aretha franklin) - Scritti Politti
You're the voice - John Farnham

There are two new stations as well, but there's no info out there about the genres or the track listing.

Thanks! Yep...I'm in for a double dip. And I've been soooo frugal lately....

randrews

Neo Member
Apperently there's some people that already have a copy of Episodes from Liberty City, they've already posted a listing of the VCFM track list.

It is as follows:

Buffalo Stance - Nanesh Cherry
Breakout - Swingshot Sister
C'est La Vie - Robbie Nevill
Cuddily Toy - Roachford
Divine Emotions - Norada Michael Walden
Find the time - Five star
Heart and soul - T'pau
History - Mai tai
I can't wait - Nu Shooz
I don't want a lover - Texas
Kayleigh - Marillion
Labour of love - Hue & cry
Love changes (everything) - Climle Fisher
Maneater - Hall & Oats
Misfit - Curiosity Killed the Cat
People hold on - Lisa Stansfield
Something about You - Level 42
Stay with me tonight - Jefferey Osbourne
Teardrops - Womack & Womack
The look - Roxette
The Politics of Dancing - Re-flex
Voices Carry - 'Till Tuesday
Waiting for a star to fall - Boy meets Girl
When Love Breaks Down - Prefab Sprout
Wishing Well - Terence Trent D' Arby
Wishing I was Lucky - Wet Wet Wet
Wood Beez (Pray like aretha franklin) - Scritti Politti
You're the voice - John Farnham

There are two new stations as well, but there's no info out there about the genres or the track listing.

randrews

Neo Member
There's also spoilers out there too, if anyone's interested. Are we allowed to post 'em here too? And, if so, do I have to spoiler tag them?

FrankT

randrews said:
There's also spoilers out there too, if anyone's interested. Are we allowed to post 'em here too? And, if so, do I have to spoiler tag them?

Yea if you post any in here best to spoiler tag them. Game isn't even officially out yet and even so when in doubt spoiler tag.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
randrews said:

No, but if you can bold the text and space it out so it is hard to miss that would be great.

KINDA

THIS

Anyway cannot wait for this. Gotta pick up a points card tomorrow.

randrews said:

Don't worry about it. Here at neogaf we love unmarked spoiler on games that havn't been released yet.

Yes, if you must post them it would be an incredibly good idea to use a spoiler tag.

Top Bottom