• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Halo 2 Thread

Ramirez

Your "point" is silly.The Marines can obviously take more hits because they are there to add to the atmosphere and help you out,having them get killed with one hit would take all of that away.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ramirez said:
Your "point" is silly.The Marines can obviously take more hits because they are there to add to the atmosphere and help you out,having them get killed with one hit would take all of that away.

Exactly.

Sacrificing realism for the sake of good gameplay or a good experience is VERY smart.

border

GhaleonEB said:
I just don't like the idea of some grunt taking four shots in the head and then my heavily armored-ass dropping from one shot. No matter which way you slice it, that just makes no sense.
You can't just pretend that a highly concentrated energy bolt short circuits all of the suit's life support systems, but has little effect on insulated grunt body armor....? =)

All I'm saying is that if Legendary is "broken", I don't think consistency is really the reason for it. It's just some minor issue and even if it were fixed you still wouldn't be having a very good time.

Future

The one hit snipes is the only thing I hate in this game. There are a few sections where snipers just pop out of nowhere and if you aren't aware of this you are smoked the first time through. There is a particularly annoying section on Earth where I killed about 10 snipers in a row because after I killed one, one always respawned to take it's place (where you first get the jeep with the ion cannon). Eventually I had thought it stopped, but as I moved through the level I saw one had returned and got killed again.

This is a bullshit design decision IMO. With the increased accuracy of all enemies, snipers would still have been hard as hell if they took your shield out in one hit (took you out completely if your shield below full). This would eliminate the cheapness you feel whenever popping around a corner and getting immediately sniped. I'm pretty far in legendary (about to start the Brute section), but not once has these one shot snipes not felt cheap and annoying as hell.

I definately like the added strength to your marines though. They still get killed off pretty quickly on legendary, but their presence adds a lot to the game atmosphere as people have said. If they died as fast as the chief did they'd get eliminated right when they first appear

shpankey

not an idiot
I agree, Legendary sucks the way it's setup now. I think it's one of the few mistakes Bungie made in regards to gameplay. It's not a biggie though as Heroic is awesome, at least for one player. Been nice to have something better than Heroic for two players though. But whatever... I'm cool. :)

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:

It makes about as much sense as having Grunts take 4x the damage as an Elite.

My ideal solution would be on Legendary, have two shots drop you and a Marine, like in Heroic.

GhaleonEB

shpankey said:
I agree, Legendary sucks the way it's setup now. I think it's one of the few mistakes Bungie made in regards to gameplay. It's not a biggie though as Heroic is awesome, at least for one player. Been nice to have something better than Heroic for two players though. But whatever... I'm cool. :)

Yeah, I'm lamenting this but the truth is it's a minor issue. It's really the only thing to gripe about. I'll drop it since I can't seem to get my point accross.

Legendary is just right (meaning it's brutally hard, but fair), aside from the snipers. It just means that I won't want to replay the levels with lots of them on Legendary, but I can see myself doing Heroic often.

jedimike

Still chugging away at single player... I'm being very meticulous (although I haven't found any skulls). I feel the end is near and almost don't want to play... it's like eating a delicious steak. A sadness comes over you when you know there's only a couple bites left. You just don't want it to end... Halo 2 is like that for me.

MoxManiac

I'm pretty sure you can't kill NPC characters yourself. I tried killing one of the elite guys when I was the Arbiter and couldn't. I stuck plasma granades to him, pumped him full of needles, ran him over with the wraith tank, pushed him off a cliff etc...he grunted a lot but didn't die.

raYne

MoxManiac said:
I'm pretty sure you can't kill NPC characters yourself. I tried killing one of the elite guys when I was the Arbiter and couldn't. I stuck plasma granades to him, pumped him full of needles, ran him over with the wraith tank, pushed him off a cliff etc...he grunted a lot but didn't die.

Let me guess it was a white Elite? Those are the Ultra's and as the name suggests they are far better armored than the others. Better shielding (Legendary = 5 shots to the head with the Beam Rifle to take em down, 3 just to drop the shield!) and it recharges pretty quick.

Anyway, yes you can kill NPC's. Humans are especially fragile.... heh.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if you were trying to kill the special-ops leader, he figures into the storyline, and indeed can't die. i nailed him a couple times with the scorpion's cannon while trying to take out some flood, and he didn't so much as flinch.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
drohne said:
if you were trying to kill the special-ops leader, he figures into the storyline, and indeed can't die. i nailed him a couple times with the scorpion's cannon while trying to take out some flood, and he didn't so much as flinch.

yup, this is true. you also cant kill johnson. i tried for quite some time about an hour ago at the start of the earth stage.

shpankey said:
why did we lose the sticky?

Cortana - "Bet you can't stick it!"

Mods - "You're on!"

(Lame joke.. sorry.)

But yeah.. GTA and Halo 2 have been out for awhile.. convo in both of them has been pretty slow lately. Besides.. we could always use more threads.

TeTr1C

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. How would you feel if had to kill Marines as the Arbiter? Would you feel bad? And why didn't they do this? It was getting a little tedious fighting off hordes of Flood and the occasional Brutes. It would be cool if MC was in the Arbiter story more. For example, you're fighting off Marines, and suddenly you see something in huge shiny green armor ahead firing at you.

I don't really like the Arbiter story in general anyways. Yeah, it's a cool idea, but I have to admit the missions don't seem as exciting (Except for the one in the snow with the Flood on Ghosts, <3'ed that one). I would have loved to play as the Chief as the entire game again. Now it doesn't give me the feel of being MC, just a ghost moving from character to character.

Cimarron

I wouldn't have cared. I actually grew quite fond of the Arbiter and his story arc. I was looking forward to an Arbiter Master Chied showdown a la sonic adventure though.

Sai

So... What would you guys change about HALO 2?

* As the Rocket Launcher is now, it's too easy to take out vehicles with it's Target Tracking. I would have the Rocket Launcher Target Track only when zoomed in, like it was in the E32k4 build, but still hold down the R Trigger to Target Track. This way an opponent could be "knocked out" of Target Tracking.

* Give the Energy Sword a battery just like in Single Player Campaign... For obvious reasons. I do not believe it's as cheap as everybody says it is, but at least this way it can't be "abused".

* Give the Fuel Rod weapons of the same kind of projectiles they had in HALO/HaloPC. I think all the Fuel Rod Gun from HaloPC needed was a slower rate of fire, and a lot less ammunition, then it would've been a nice counter to the Rocket Launcher. The Fuel Rod Gun that's in HALO 2's Single Player Campaign is fine as it is now(and I honestly don't understand why it isn't available in Multiplayer, it's not that powerful), but it's honestly kind of boring... The Fuel Rods of the Banshee and weapon no longer fire in an arch, and the blast radius seems larger. A bit more interesting to use the mortar shots of the Fuel Rods in the original game.

* Weaken the attack power of the Banshees main weapon(s), because of the above change.

* Axe the "home-in" for melee attacks.

* Put fall damage back in.

* The lil' glitches that were in the first game, like the double 'nade throw... That should've been in here too. :(

... That's all I can think of right now.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
So... What would you guys change about HALO 2?

* As the Rocket Launcher is now, it's too easy to take out vehicles with it's Target Tracking. I would have the Rocket Launcher Target Track only when zoomed in, like it was in the E32k4 build, but still hold down the R Trigger to Target Track. This way an opponent could be "knocked out" of Target Tracking.

* Give the Energy Sword a battery just like in Single Player Campaign... For obvious reasons. I do not believe it's as cheap as everybody says it is, but at least this way it can't be "abused".

* Give the Fuel Rod weapons of the same kind of projectiles they had in HALO/HaloPC. I think all the Fuel Rod Gun from HaloPC needed was a slower rate of fire, and a lot less ammunition, then it would've been a nice counter to the Rocket Launcher. The Fuel Rod Gun that's in HALO 2's Single Player Campaign is fine as it is now(and I honestly don't understand why it isn't available in Multiplayer, it's not that powerful), but it's honestly kind of boring... The Fuel Rods of the Banshee and weapon no longer fire in an arch, and the blast radius seems larger. A bit more interesting to use the mortar shots of the Fuel Rods in the original game.

* Weaken the attack power of the Banshees main weapon(s), because of the above change.

* Axe the "home-in" for melee attacks.

* Put fall damage back in.

* The lil' glitches that were in the first game, like the double 'nade throw... That should've been in here too. :(

... That's all I can think of right now.

I have not played multi yet, so I can't comment on that part of the game. I'm a pretty huge fan of SP in Halo, though.

I don't like that key NPC's can't be killed in game. In the first level you can unload on Johnson, and later Spec Ops, and they are invincible. I preferred the "Kenny" approach to Johnson in Halo 1 - he could die three times in game and just keeps coming back. I would have liked to see that joke continue. Invincible players are just a little irritating. Having them respawn would have made it feel more like co-op.

I don't miss the falling damage. The overall design of Halo 2 takes much better use of vertical space. Nearly every situation involves climbing up or down buildings and other structures, and there is very little of the 'flat but lots of obsticles' in Halo. To take advantage of the terrain, the MC can jump higher and does not take damage when falling. I suspect that Bungie pulled it after testing, finding that with so many places to fall in the levels it stopped being fun when damage was taken.

That said, they screwed up when placing artificial 'insta-kill' zones on the floors of areas. There's a big community out there that spent tons of time exploring the nooks and crannies of Halo, going every where possible and many places Bungie didn't intend. None of it really broke the game, and it was cool to see what people could pull off. Now, in
the Library
for example, the floor is only about 30 feet below you, but you die instantly when you touch it. It kill the immersion when I'm trying to explore, giving the game a 'I can go here but not here?!' feel.

Also, I don't like the hidden weapons. In Halo, you never found weapons randomly hidden, they were all off of dead bodies or from drop ships. In Halo 2, I found a rocket launcher on top of the first place you land on
Delta Halo
, where there were a bunch of Jackals, but no Marines had yet been. It pulled me out of the game a bit with such an obvious 'here's your reward for exploring' bone. Kinda like finding a chainsaw on top of a hidden pillar in DOOM - that was one cliche Halo didn't have but it's in Halo 2 for no good reason.

But really, those are quibbles. Game fucking rules.

:D

Sai

GhaleonEB said:
I don't miss the falling damage. The overall design of Halo 2 takes much better use of vertical space. Nearly every situation involves climbing up or down buildings and other structures, and there is very little of the 'flat but lots of obsticles' in Halo. To take advantage of the terrain, the MC can jump higher and does not take damage when falling. I suspect that Bungie pulled it after testing, finding that with so many places to fall in the levels it stopped being fun when damage was taken.
But forcing an opponent off the high point of a building in Headlong and watching him land without a scratch just sucks. Fall damage doesn't need to be as bad as it was in the original game, nor does the height you fall to take said damage have to be the same... I just want it in there. When I board a character's Banshee and boot him from the top of the map, I want him to HURT! O_O

Sho Nuff

Banned
Is anyone getting sick and tired of the ranked map rotation? I have NEVER played a ranked game in Beaver Creek or Coagulation. Those are the best maps, so WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY? I'm so sick of playing that shitty Colossus map!

Note that I try to make private games, but it's hard to find 16 people...

scarybore

Sho Nuff said:
I'm so sick of playing that shitty Colossus map!

I'm with you there man, whenever it comes up there always seems to be a collective groan from every player :D Its also freakin hard to play CTF on it, get rid of it NOW Bungie!

Boy ole' Halo 2 sunk like a rock today on GameRankings. Two 8 out of 10 reviews and a 70% from Firing Squad have doomed it from the top 10. Oh well. I still maintain that no objective person could give this game under a 9. For a console shooter it's amazing. And that's exactly what it is. The firing squad site is a joke after giving GTA: SA a 98%. But hey, that's just my opinion and they are welcome to their own.

COCKLES

being watched
Firing Squad are hardcore PC doziens. The very thought of a good FPSer on a console is like giving a copy of a bible to Osama.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
But forcing an opponent off the high point of a building in Headlong and watching him land without a scratch just sucks. Fall damage doesn't need to be as bad as it was in the original game, nor does the height you fall to take said damage have to be the same... I just want it in there. When I board a character's Banshee and boot him from the top of the map, I want him to HURT! O_O

Ah, I can see your point there. Like I mentioned, I haven't played any multiplayer, so I didn't consider it. For single-player, I mantain it was the right decision. That does put them in a bit of a bind for multi, though.

Code_Link

CrimsonSkies said:
Boy ole' Halo 2 sunk like a rock today on GameRankings. Two 8 out of 10 reviews and a 70% from Firing Squad have doomed it from the top 10. Oh well. I still maintain that no objective person could give this game under a 9. For a console shooter it's amazing. And that's exactly what it is. The firing squad site is a joke after giving GTA: SA a 98%. But hey, that's just my opinion and they are welcome to their own.

That's why Metroid Prime is so amazing. It has a 60% review, and it's still higher on the list. It will end up being the highest rated this gen.

By the way, I absolutely love Halo 2's soundtrack. :)

Code_Link said:
That's why Metroid Prime is so amazing. It has a 60% review, and it's still higher on the list. It will end up being the highest rated this gen.

Its game ranking status is why the game is so amazing?

GhaleonEB

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
GhaleonEB said:
Man - just watched that at work and had tears in my eyes at the end. "These guys are the worst contrators EVER!"

:lol

My favourite was

Men: "A new pistol? Is it more powerful?"

Sarge: "We prefer the term 'balanced'"

Men: "balanced doesnt sound like more powerful, does it still kill people in 3 shots?"

Sarge: "Of course!....as long as those three shots are preceeded by 7 other shots"

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Having some trouble.
I'm playing as the Arbiter on Delta Halo on Heroic and i ran through the first part of the level. The last checkpoint i passed was right before the first big machine. Now i've made it passed the second big machine and the flood that were fighting it only to be killed by flood later in the level. The thing that's bothering me is i'm not getting anymore checkpoints after the one i mentioned. So when i'm killed by the flood i have to go back before the first big machine and the transport. Any suggestions?

GhaleonEB

deadlifter said:
Having some trouble.
I'm playing as the Arbiter on Delta Halo on Heroic and i ran through the first part of the level. The last checkpoint i passed was right before the first big machine. Now i've made it passed the second big machine and the flood that were fighting it only to be killed by flood later in the level. The thing that's bothering me is i'm not getting anymore checkpoints after the one i mentioned. So when i'm killed by the flood i have to go back before the first big machine and the transport. Any suggestions?

The trick with that part of the level is that checkpoints will only trigger if there are no enemies in the immidiate area - which can be tricky with those guys. I've found that running away like a little girl helps.

That, and use the energy sword whenever possible on those guys - like a knife through butter.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
GhaleonEB said:
The trick with that part of the level is that checkpoints will only trigger if there are no enemies in the immidiate area - which can be tricky with those guys. I've found that running away like a little girl helps.

That, and use the energy sword whenever possible on those guys - like a knife through butter.

ah, thank you :)

TeTr1C

Forcing an opponent off a vehicle should hurt them in some way, lfor example kicking them off the Ghost. I'd say it should hurt them about half way, or a little less. Lots of times I've forced an opponent off the vehicle only to have them shoot at my vehicle right away coming at me with full health. If their health was decreased, I think they wouldn't take that chance as much.

Also, I think its funny how you can jump on the back/passenger seat of an enemy warthog. Sometimes in Juggernaut, I'll kill the Juggernaut while I'm on the back of a warthog, and the enemy will be driving me, the Juggernaut around, and he doesn't even realize it. It's hilarious.

Top Bottom