• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

Fantasmo

Why does money just run out? Why do I have to start over and play Story mode terribly so I can have enough money to upgrade my weapons in Director's Cut?

Is there a way around this or what?

Kevtones

Yeah I got hosed by the money thing as well. However, I've been grinding and I'm nearly complete via Ballistic Trauma small incremental high scoring. They should've made more achievements or something or at least let excess Story Mode funds transfer.

Bah I think my Wii's broken.

Does anyone else have a problem with the screen darkening down to load, like at a boss encounter or the start of a level, and it just doesn't come back?

This is happening to me in both this and RE:Umbrella Chronicles. The only other Wii games I have to test the machine with are Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit and Resident Evil 4. The 3 "Wii" games have no issues, while RE4 plays the game fine but has a lot of distortion when playing FMV movie files.

Anyone in here seen anything like this before? I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd ask in here since it's Overkill that I really want to play. Plus, screw whoever thought it was a good idea to not let you skip the cutscenes first time through. I've had to watch that long intro to "Carny" three times now as the game crashes at the boss everytime I've tried.

krzy123

I love this game. Yeah the Auto shotgun does remove a lot of the difficulty, but its just so fun to use. I didn't get my first Goregasm until Ballistic Trauma in the Director's Cut (that was with the regular gun and no upgrades, suprisingly)

But I think they need to add a "Arcade" mode where its a quick jump in and play. No saves, just the regular gun without upgrades, continues/lives can be found in the levels (instead of golden brains), I would say not even have the chapter selection.

So I like this game.

I hadn't expected to enjoy the game's presentation so much. So much humor and style. It's satisfyingly fast, as a rail-shooter should be, but it is still just a rail-shooter, which means it can get repetitive.

pakkit

Banned
The presentation really carries this game. Gameplay-wise, it fails to match up to the 10-year-old House of the Dead 2, with very little destructibility (which is less of an issue given the new score-multiplier), no branching paths, a ridiculously easy campaign (yes, even in Director's Cut), and bosses that show you how to kill them, reducing any sense of experimentation or urgency.

That said, I still greatly enjoyed this game. The voice acting is superb, and, while playing with friends, it was the game's ridiculousness, not its gameplay mechanics, that kept us playing. The bad guy is amazing, and the twist and turns are brilliant. The game's graphical short-comings, and there are plenty, are alleviated by the campy presentation, EXCEPT for the lost frames, which just frustrate.

And despite my heavy criticisms, I'd say this is a must-own game for any mature-minded, juvenility-loving gamer. It's a fun ride through and through, and, unlike Deadly Creatures, it understands the importance of nailing the ending, and it sure does stick the landing.

KevinCow

Banned
Man, I was playing this earlier, and the Carny level just glitched the fuck out. The blood was black for some reason, and whenever there was supposed to be fire, the fire wouldn't show and it would slow down to like a single digit framerate.

It's also strange that the money is so severely limited. I feel like I must be missing something, but it doesn't seem like there's enough money to get everything.

Question:

How does the Danger Cam thing work on a widescreen TV?

I'm playing on a 4:3 TV and I'm thinking it might be impossible to play without the cursors (to point and shoot - like an actual arcade) cos the game actually needs me to drag the screen and cursor around to view the sides. Is this an issue on 16:9 TVs?

Vagabundo

Just started playing this game and WOW, great job.

But I've had a couple of bugs already.. A zombie got stuck behind a wall and I couldnt shoot him, had to restart. Another time I was fighting the boss on the first level (story mode) and the screen froze and there was a really high pitched sound coming through the speakers.

I dont mind much, but damn the devs seemed to have fun making this game.

Totalriot

There are supposed to be three civilians to rescue in the Scream Train but I only find two of them. There is one in a cabin and one in the restaurant wagon.. Where is the last one?

Capndrake

Totalriot said:
There are supposed to be three civilians to rescue in the Scream Train but I only find two of them. There is one in a cabin and one in the restaurant wagon.. Where is the last one?
You only encounter her on Director's Cut.

butsomuch

HOTD OVERKILL - The Hardcore The Record Books Have Been Waiting For!
HOUSE OF THE DEAD: OVERKILL BREAKS [AN EFFIN'] RECORD FOR THE GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS GAMER’S EDITION

London, UK - 9 March, 2009 - The global authority on record-breaking, Guinness World Records, today announced that recently released The House of the Dead: OVERKILL (SEGA®, 2009) has broken into the Guinness World Records Gamer’s Edition for most swearing in a video game with a whopping 189 uses of the f-word.

Setting a record in this brand new category, the title recognizes The House of the Dead: OVERKILL as the most profane video game in history. During three hours of relatively limited dialogue, the campaign features 189 uses of the f-word, which equates to just over one per minute and three percent of all words spoken in the game.

Video Games Records Manager for Guinness World Records, Gaz Deaves, said: “This record category pre-existed for movies, music and television, but House of the Dead: Overkill is the first video game to be awarded the title in the Gamer’s Edition. It’s a mark of the times.”

The new record will be shortlisted for inclusion in next year’s Guinness World Records Gamer’s Edition. Meanwhile, the 2009 Gamer’s Edition hit stores last month and has already received critical acclaim from both the gaming world and the mainstream press. Enjoying a top ten position on the UK book chart, Gaming Guide Kotaku said about the book: “With entries for professional gaming, top selling games in history, the history of hardware and Guitar Hero, the Guinness World Records 2009 Gamer’s Edition looks to be a must have for fans of gaming.”

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL uncovers the ugly, terrifying, red hot secrets behind the House of the Dead; the daddy of all over-the-top shooters. While staying true to the classic gameplay this highly successful SEGA series takes on a new retro look with distinctive graphics, sound and attitude that add to its horror cool status. Also, because of the Wii RemoteTM, players will fight off zombies when they get too close; pistol-whipping jaws off and smashing in skulls with their shotgun butt.

vareon

:lol

Awesome game. Played it last week at home, with my brother first and going single after that. This game made me wanted to but a Perfect Shot too bad I couldn't find it in my country aside from the Chinese knockoffs.

maxmars

vareon said:
:lol

Awesome game. Played it last week at home, with my brother first and going single after that. This game made me wanted to but a Perfect Shot too bad I couldn't find it in my country aside from the Chinese knockoffs.

Play.com has them, and believe me, they rock together.

markatisu

Figured some of you guys might not check the Chart Track EU sales-age thread but HoTD Overkill has now been on the UK charts longer than any other light gun Wii game

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN
Weekly Ranking

Week 1= 15th
Week 2= 14th
Week 3= 22nd
Week 4= 30th
Week 5= not ranked

LTD sales 100k-200k as of last award

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD OVERKILL
Weekly Ranking

Week 1= 10th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 2= 9th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 3= 16th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 4= 24th (#5 Wii Chart)
Week 5= 20th (#4 Wii Chart)

birdchili

still firing this up quite a bit for co-op shenanigans, and it really nails that campy vibe where the bad lines actually *improve* on repeat plays.

...and the soundtrack can't get enough praise - it's perfect.

markatisu said:
Figured some of you guys might not check the Chart Track EU sales-age thread but HoTD Overkill has now been on the UK charts longer than any other light gun Wii game

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD OVERKILL
Weekly Ranking

Week 1= 10th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 2= 9th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 3= 16th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 4= 24th (#5 Wii Chart)
Week 5= 20th (#4 Wii Chart)

Good to hear.
I wonder if it's getting a warm reception in the Americas.

markatisu

AceBandage said:
Good to hear.
I wonder if it's getting a warm reception in the Americas.

We wont know for some time in regards to the US, light gun games do not tend to enter the Top 10 (we might see if it we get Wii Top 10 or a full NPD Top 20 ), for example the NERF gun game sold easily 500k+ but never did appear in the Top 20 (it appeared in the Wii Top 10 though)

They have been airing a shitload of commercials and it seems to be selling well at every store I go to, but I think unless Sega says something or we get some leak during monthly NPD's the UK is setting the bar (since I dont think it came out in Japan)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
birdchili said:
still firing this up quite a bit for co-op shenanigans, and it really nails that campy vibe where the bad lines actually *improve* on repeat plays.

...and the soundtrack can't get enough praise - it's perfect.
Yeah I have to say that the cutscenes are funnier the second time because you are not quite as embarrassed about how over the top they are. The ones involving
Clarence
are still pretty creepy though.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Vagabundo said:
:lol :lol

Good Job Sega. Gaming has grown up...

And the swearing it, like, totally appropriate.

Speaking as someone who teaches teenagers, I must say that I don't quite share you view of gaming having "grown up."

markatisu

pakkit said:
So, what's the word on US sales on this baby?

Nothing as of yet, we dont have anything outside the Top 10 (not even a Wii Top 10)

It was never going to sell 200-300k in the first month, the biggest light gun games in the US have been REUC at 1yr total of 455k and NERF which made ~500k around Christmas..both took months to get to that point

Xav

Finished story mode & now playing through it again on directors cut but this time with the hand cannon instead of the zapper. It's a pretty good game with some rough edges, it's not as good as House of the Dead 2 & 4 but probably on par with House of the Dead 1 & 3.

I just bought this motherfucking game for a motherfucking bargain of fucking £17 in Gamestation. (I also picked up Res5 and Mad World today -- so I'm doing some good in the world)

I NEVER expected to like it so much. The shooting bits are fairly standard, the models on the main characters aren't the best, but I've noticed quite a few nice effects. The whole 70s reel thing is great...

I think I actually fell in love with the game when Washington asked what he had to do to pacify a bitch. I nearly spat my drink out.

Alright, I picked up two of the "perfect shot" guns last night so me and the wife could play this proper, but I can't get the fucking things to calibrate properly to save my life. No matter what I do, the cursor is always off the the left of where I'm aiming. I want to be able to play with the guns, with the cursor turned off so it'll be more like actually playing with a light gun. If this shit doesn't work I'm selling it. I wanna play it, but not the way it is now.

markatisu

apujanata said:
No official word, but it is doing much better compared to Dead Rising : Chop till you drop. How much better is not clear.

45k in February for #50 on the NPD Chart in the US

UK we have no idea what the # is because the latest sales awards have not come out but it was in the Top 30 for more than 5 weeks (longer than any light gun game before it), and it is still is in the Wii Top 10 as well

I would be surprised if it is not at least at 100k since HoTD 2/3 Returns charted lower and for less time and got a 100-200k sales award

pootle

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Alright, I picked up two of the "perfect shot" guns last night so me and the wife could play this proper, but I can't get the fucking things to calibrate properly to save my life. No matter what I do, the cursor is always off the the left of where I'm aiming.

Same thing happened to me. I ended up aiming at the bottom right of the targets but it still took a few tries to get it close to where it should be. I wish I could play without the cursor, but I have enough problems with it on. I don't know if it's just me but there seems to be a "speed limit" on the movement so there's a lag if you move quickly.

And the constant stuttering is really starting to piss me off.

It's a game I wish I could love but it's just driving me mental.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
pootle said:
Same thing happened to me. I ended up aiming at the bottom right of the targets but it still took a few tries to get it close to where it should be. I wish I could play without the cursor, but I have enough problems with it on. I don't know if it's just me but there seems to be a "speed limit" on the movement so there's a lag if you move quickly.

And the constant stuttering is really starting to piss me off.

It's a game I wish I could love but it's just driving me mental.

Oh man, it's not just me? What a relief!

Vagabundo

DavidDayton said:
Speaking as someone who teaches teenagers, I must say that I don't quite share you view of gaming having "grown up."

My comment was more "tongue in cheek" than anything, like the swearing in the game.

McBradders said:
Oh man, it's not just me? What a relief!

Yeah quiet a few bugs in the game. One of my zombies got stuck behind a door, I couldnt shoot him and had to quit the game. shame really. More polish for the sequel Sega.

Top Bottom