• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

I thought the demo kiosks have like a bunch of different demos packed into it, and you could go back to the controller to select a different demo?

Both of the ones I tried (at different GameStops yesterday) had 19 games "installed." All 19 had videos as far as I could tell (Assassin's Creed was a slideshow) and there were two buttons on the touchscreen: Play Demo and Watch Video. The Play Demo button was orange for Rayman and let you play it, but it was grayed out and non-functional for every other game.

I thought the demo kiosks have like a bunch of different demos packed into it, and you could go back to the controller to select a different demo?

They have lots of games listed buy only Rayman has the play demo button clickable at this time. It's really poorly set up though because Rayman is literally the last game on the scroll wheel of games. So people walk up and look at just the first few low quality videos of a couple games (Mario, Nintendoland, etc) and see they aren't playable then just give up without ever even playing a demo.

Amir0x

Banned
Both of the ones I tried (at different GameStops yesterday) had 19 games "installed." All 19 had videos as far as I could tell (Assassin's Creed was a slideshow) and there were two buttons on the touchscreen: Play Demo and Watch Video. The Play Demo button was orange for Rayman and let you play it, but it was grayed out and non-functional for every other game.

Ah, gotcha. I only played the Wii U at NYCC so we just went to different demo stations to play different titles. It is a little odd that RAYMAN would be the flagship, especially since it's... not launching at all with the system?

The white gamepad's screen at the demo Wii U looked good enough to me, but I think the black gamepad's screen will look a little better due to having the black surrounding the screen. The white seems to just make the image on the screen look a little washed out/brighter than it really is while a black border allows the image to more clearly stand out on its own. At least that's how I feel about it, it could just be the poor smudging or lighting that the Wii U demos have been experiencing as well.

I'm sure they will sell "shells" for the gamepads.

Or just use black electrical tape on it - ghetto style.

Richie

Ah, gotcha. I only played the Wii U at NYCC so we just went to different demo stations to play different titles. It is a little odd that RAYMAN would be the flagship, especially since it's... not launching at all with the system?

I reckon Mario doesn't need the attention, whereas Rayman could definitely benefit from it. It may just make demand for the game increase if people have to wait to play it...hopefully.

Amir0x

Banned
I reckon Mario doesn't need the attention, whereas Rayman could definitely benefit from it. It may just make demand for the game increase if people have to wait to play it...hopefully.

I definitely hope that's the case, just find it a little unlikely that those who buy Wii U are really going to remember a game launching 2 or 3 months after launch from a demo kiosk, when they're going to have NintendoLand, NSMB and ZombiU distracting them too.

I'd be all on board if it was launching with the system, but it just seems a little odd.

Its mind boggling that anyone would pay $60 for Rayman. When You can get a similar game on the ipad for $1.99

It looks pretty good I guess but Is it really 30x better on the wiiu?

Its mind boggling that anyone would pay $60 for Rayman. When You can get a similar game on the ipad for $1.99

It looks pretty good I guess but Is it really 30x better?

Why buy any kind of full priced game if you're satisfied with dumbed down ios experiences?
Cellphone games can't even compete with handheld games in terms of value, not to mention with a fullfledged home console title.

image.php

ios experience.

I ran into a demo station at Target, unfortunately it was one of the bootleg ones that only showed video with no playable demo. But it gave me the chance to play around with the Gamepad which was good.

The Gamepad, in a word, feels awesome. I loved the screen. I loved the fact that the touch doesn't feel like junk when you use you fingers. The weight was a bit more than I thought, but holding it I never got that feeling of strain like it was too heavy. The only thing that will take getting used to is the triggers, but that's only because I usually hit both the top buttons (R1/R2 or RB/RT) with one finger, whereas the shape of the triggers on that doesn't allow for that on the Gamepad.

I'm even more excited now, can't wait until I can pick mine up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Are you really competing Rayman Run to Legends?

Amir0x

Banned

sarcasm right? in case it's not:

Rayman Origins was one of the best games of 2011, full stop. It had a huge amount of content, some of the best visuals and soundtrack of the year, superb level design and gameplay. And unlike an iPad, you don't have to play it with horrendous controls. Also, they are not the same game at all. They play quite differently and have different levels of content, control and, for that matter, focus.

I'd pay $80 for Origins.

BlankaBR

Banned

Bud Rayman on WiiU looks amazing u cant compare with the ios version...
I think Scribblenauts should be cheaper on WiiU, I think its not worth 60 bucks...it doesnt look way better than the ios game
It could be an eshop game

Rich!

Its mind boggling that anyone would pay $60 for a new Zelda When You can get a similar game on the ipad for $1.99

My god...you can replace the game name with ANY title.

I'll be getting a lot of use out of this joke. Cheers!

Playing games on phones and ipads is pretty much one of the least appealing things I can think of when it comes to entertainment. IMO it's just not the same thing at all. I get that it has a market and some people enjoy it and feels like it substitutes console gaming just fine, but I've personally had the exact opposite experience.

Amir0x

Banned
Playing games on phones and ipads is pretty much one of the least appealing things I can think of when it comes to entertainment. IMO it's just not the same thing at all. I get that it has a market and some people enjoy it and feels like it substitutes console gaming just fine, but I've personally had the exact opposite experience.

yup. Plus, it's not the same game. Rayman automatically just starts running and you can make him jump; it's MUCH shorter and content-deprived than the full game, not even close, and the level design is far more complex and integrated in Rayman Origins.

Trying to say we shouldn't pay $60 for Rayman Origins because a shitty iPad game came out for $1.99 is insulting

Guess what guys, this is what average people are going to say when they see Rayman Legends. Its hardly a showcase for next gen gaming.

I just dled the Origins demo on my 360 btw. Uh yeah its pretty good. Definitely worth the $20

Amir0x

Banned
Guess what guys, this is what average people are going to say when they see Rayman Legends. Its hardly a showcase for next gen gaming.

I just dled the Origins demo on my 360 btw. Ueah its pretty good. Definitely worth the $20

so was that comment your opinion or your hypothetical projection of what "the average people" are going to say? I'm not sure I went down the rabbit hole far enough

I saw a demo station at a Gamestop yesterday. I played it and the controller looked okay and felt pretty light but the demo they had wasn't something I'd say that would create hype for it imo. The demo seemed far too complicated for a child to play as it involved all these gyroscope and screen actions that wasn't too obvious to do at first. I kept dying at the part where you had to rotate the controller to navigate through that spiky obstacle.

I feel even less hyped to get a WiiU now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I just dled the Origins demo on my 360 btw. Uh yeah its pretty good. Definitely worth the $20

This is really what average people will say when they see Rayman origins up on a nice 1080p HDTV?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the gamepad light enough that you could hold it up for extended playing sessions, or do you think you'll end up having to rest it on your lap?

Is the gamepad light enough that you could hold it up for extended playing sessions, or do you think you'll end up having to rest it on your lap?

It seemed light enough that you should be able to hold it up for extended sessions. Although for games where you are using the gamepad more as the "5th player" like in NSMBU or Rayman then it's probably necessary to just have it rest in your lap while you tap along on the screen.

Edit: To me, it weighed about the same as if you held a standard spiral notebook sideways. That's probably about the same length too (actually a bit longer than the gamepad though I'd say) and a good amount wider, but the weight is pretty much about what I remember the gamepad being when I used it.

Xellos

Tried this yesterday. The gamepad was comfortable and light. Most of the weight seemed to come from the cord tethering it to the demo kiosk. Tilt/touch functions worked flawlessly, and latency was non-existent. My only gripe was that the colors looked a little washed out compared to the TV. Adjusting the backlight on the controller should improve that somewhat.

As for Rayman, it felt like a highly polished Origins expansion pack. Murphy sections were fun too and did a good job of mixing up the touch/tilt functions on the gamepad.

All in all it was a good experience, if a bit brief. I've always liked the concept behind the gamepad (because it already worked so well for DS), and trying it for myself has reinforced that opinion. I'm looking forward to trying more software at launch.

OK, this is pretty hilarious!

BrettHD

Banned
Played the Wii U at a demo station at Best Buy last week.
Played Rayman demo but wont comment much on it - never
was into Rayman. Graphics looked nice enough but nothing really
special.
The gamepad was very comfortable - it was alot wider than I expected
but still comfortable. The touchscreen seemed responsive enough.
The image on the touchscreen seemed average at best. I was hoping it
would be brighter - maybe it was due to the bright store lighting ?
Also can the screen brightness on the gamepad be adjusted ?

My guess as to the reason we are seeing Rayman in demo units is because they had planned for it to be in there (maybe as a gesture of goodwill to Ubisoft) before it was delayed and they were already produced and packaged by the time it was delayed.

Oersted

nelson-muntz.png

So the "Rayman is just the pimped up version from Rayman Run"- bullshit is still alive? What one website can achieve...

Whelp, the Wii U in the GameStop near me has already become the neighborhood babysitter. I went into GameStop yesterday to pay off my ACIII pre-order and there was a pretty long line to check out. I was there for a good 20 minutes and through that entire time there was a group of pre-teens playing the Wii U with no parents in sight. They just kept starting the demo over and over. I guess that's good for Nintendo because they'll spread the word. But, it must suck to be a GameStop employee when that happens.

Madn

Rayman Origins was one of the best games of 2011, full stop. It had a huge amount of content, some of the best visuals and soundtrack of the year, superb level design and gameplay. And unlike an iPad, you don't have to play it with horrendous controls. Also, they are not the same game at all. They play quite differently and have different levels of content, control and, for that matter, focus.

I'd pay $80 for Origins.

Am i a bad person for not loving it? I downloaded the demo for the 3ds and i thought it was nice but nothing more than average..
I have to say i don't game a lot (this year i only played wind waker, kid icarus and xenoblade)

edit: forgot 999

Morokh

Am i a bad person for not loving it? I downloaded the demo for the 3ds and i thought it was nice but nothing more than average..
I have to say i don't game a lot (this year i only played wind waker, kid icarus and xenoblade)

3ds version is kind of bad, especially visually.

jrDev

The 3DS doesn't have a good screen either. Pretty awful compared to industry standards at this point, really.

I know people's standards might be accepting of that level, or they might not even factor it into the equation. The disparity between these accounts is simply a matter of where you fall on that line.

So this can be summed up as: The same people that overlook technical issues like power, resolution, etc will be "fine" with it, and those that find these issues more important won't be. If you do find it important, however, it is immediately apparent the shortcomings of the screen. What compounds the issue though is that since this is a Wii U, you're constantly going to be moving your eyes back to a far superior HDTV most of the time. So the difference seems even worse for me.

Tech doesn't bother me like it bothers others; as you said.

GringoJB

Played a little bit over the weekend at GameStop. Both the game and the hardware/controller seemed pretty impressive! My (non-hardcore gamer) wife and I tried some Rayman co-op, and we both had a ton of fun. Although we both decided not to attempt the part with the spiky wheel that one person has to turn while the other one navigates through its insides, since we'd probably need couples therapy after something like that.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Pros
-controller felt nice and light
-touch screen was responsive and screen was sharp
-Raymond looked great

Cons
-only 1 Demo and it was hard
-you have to use the touch controller to make a selection, your head/eyes move up and down every few seconds
-dont know which fingers to use for triggers and bumpers

Overall, I think they should have had more demos to get a better taste out of the unit

Top Bottom