• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

GeoramA said:
That's just great. I hope Warhawk doesn't bomb this bad.

Well, we already know that Warhawk is the shit from playing the beta. Lair has always been somewhat of an unknown. I was hoping they could have done something more than just another glorified tech demo, but I guess not.

Then again, it's ****ing EGM.

Wollan

I personally had great fun with the ground combat and generally flying around was a breeze in the TGS demo. The air combat was always a bit boring due to the single fireball attack but I really liked the army aspect. And the game blew me away visually. I will check out the Gamespot review and others but if it is a <7 then bail out.

jett

D-Member
First ultrahighbudget game from Sony is la bomba. Heavely Sword, Uncharted and Killzone 2 remain. For their sake I hope they are quality games.

Tideas

Banned
I'll be getting this when it drops to $50 heh And why is everyone overreacting to one review. Especially EGM :lol

The thing is, while I kind of expected it to get generally low review scores, I must have the game. Flying around on a dragon across some snowy, mountainous landscape, it's hot. I just hope they give you plenty of room to do just that, fly around on this dragon and just marvel at the scenery.

And yeah, it's ****ing EGM. I can't remember the last time I thought they got a review spot on. Not that I actually expect Lair to be all that great, but it can't be of less quality than EGM staff.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Factor 5 have yet to make a good game imo...not talking about graphics which clearly is the only thing they excel at

leave it to the big boys factor and stick to making pretty PSN games

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
remember back during the psone era when they were making that ozzy osbourne sponsored game with flying dragons and shooting shit? i think it got cancelled, but i was interested on premise alone.

sorry to see this one sort of fall on its face, because conceptually, it should work

GeoramA

Tideas said:
I'll be getting this when it drops to $50 heh And why is everyone overreacting to one review. Especially EGM :lol
I'm gonna wait for more reviews, but if the gameplay is as broken as EGM makes it out to be, then there's no hope.

tribal24

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
The thing is, while I kind of expected it to get generally low review scores, I must have the game. Flying around on a dragon across some snowy, mountainous landscape, it's hot. I just hope they give you plenty of room to do just that, fly around on this dragon and just marvel at the scenery.

And yeah, it's ****ing EGM. I can't remember the last time I thought they got a review spot on. Not that I actually expect Lair to be all that great, but it can't be of less quality than EGM staff.

thats the thing to i was expecting this game to get a low score aswell so yeah i need a demo or something lol before i even buy this>.>

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tideas said:

Indeed. I'll never forgive them with the Killzone Liberation review...ever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think people's reactions to 6.0, 5.5, and 5.0 as scores are kind of funny.

6.0 is a "good" score on the ZD scale, and 5.5 and 5.0 to me indicate it's only mediocre, not horrible. We're so totally screwed up with how we interpret these things.

I wish not to defend LAIR, because the pieces of the puzzle have all been clear as day since, well, day 1, but let's not be overly dramatic. Phrased differently, drama queens go home.

Sapapayo

Tideas said:

If egm has given such a score, i don't want to see edge's review...

rpgfan16k

What a way for an official thread to go, even b4 the game's release :-(

For reference, how did EGM score Rogue Leader games? I seem to remember the GC launch one getting straight 9.0s, but that was before they went to a 3-man review squad.

I guess we should all breathe, people, it IS EGM. My general rule for them is to add 1 point for each of their individual reviews, unless its a squeenix RPG. In that case, I subtract 2 points. :lol

Sapapayo

rpgfan16k said:

For reference, how did EGM score Rogue Leader games? I seem to remember the GC launch one getting straight 9.0s, but that was before they went to a 3-man review squad.

I guess we should all breathe, people, it IS EGM. My general rule for them is to add 1 point for each of their individual reviews, unless its a squeenix RPG. In that case, I subtract 2 points. :lol

Even if you add 1 point, it's "Lair", not some random games. 7 is a low score.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
rpgfan16k said:

9/10. Rogue Leader has a 90% rating.

Wow, I'm shocked...looking at gamerankings, you'd have NO IDEA factor 5 sucks. Were people that bamboozled for that long by pretty things?

Wollan

Rogue Leader (The GC launch one) was really good though imho. Was a system seller for me. It was very hard but it had cool air/space combat.

I never really had high hopes for this game what with its messy art style and seemingly dull gameplay (from what I see in videos), but recently my opinion changed a bit after seeing more colours and more visually refined screenshots along with videos showcasing the game with the wonderful score playing in the background. However, if these scores are true, then I guess I will be switching my preorder over to something else next week (DMC4 possibly).

"9/10. Rogue Leader has a 90% rating.

Wow, I'm shocked...looking at gamerankings, you'd have NO IDEA factor 5 sucks. Were people that bamboozled for that long by pretty things?"

More like people who owned a Gamecube were hard up for something. ANYTHING that was eventually released.

And this is no surprise. Factor 5 games are pretty (well, Lair isn't), but completely devoid of any substance.

Alex

I expected the game to be terrible, simply because that's how I've felt about every Factor 5 game but EGM is still a ****ing rag and a blind man could give you a better opinion.

Warhawk will be awesome because Incog is awesome. Sadly we're seemingly not getting a PS3 Twisted Metal, but on a sameish note I'd dice you fools up for a War of the Monsters sequel on PS3 with online

Stench

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I think people's reactions to 6.0, 5.5, and 5.0 as scores are kind of funny.

6.0 is a "good" score on the ZD scale, and 5.5 and 5.0 to me indicate it's only mediocre, not horrible. We're so totally screwed up with how we interpret these things.

I wish not to defend LAIR, because the pieces of the puzzle have all been clear as day since, well, day 1, but let's not be overly dramatic. Phrased differently, drama queens go home.
Given the game's production value and the pedigree of the development team (However arguable that may be), I'd definitely say these scores are extremely dissapointing.

I mean, you're right, technically they're not *bad*, it's just that when you look at the amount of confidence Sony seemed to have entrusted upon Factor 5, you'd think they would have been able to step up to the plate and deliver the AAA title we were all hoping for.

I'll still be waiting for more reviews, but damn, if this isn't a huge buzzkill...

TEH-CJ

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"9/10. Rogue Leader has a 90% rating.

Wow, I'm shocked...looking at gamerankings, you'd have NO IDEA factor 5 sucks. Were people that bamboozled for that long by pretty things?"

More like people who owned a Gamecube were hard up for something. ANYTHING that was eventually released.

And this is no surprise. Factor 5 games are pretty (well, Lair isn't), but completely devoid of any substance.

I agree with this man

Y2Kev said:

The interpretation is directly based on the actual rating system of these rags. A score of 5 represents trash, and the 1-5 scale only serves to determine how stinky this particular piece of trash is. This is entirely the fault of the magazines and sites. Now if it was a 5 in Edge, you'd have a point. But this is EGM, which is a rag.

And for the record, Rogue Leader was in fact a very barren game. Only back in those days, technological prowess counted for far more than it mostly does today. I say mostly because there are some cases where reviewers turn a blind eye on flaws due to amazing visuals, but it no longer seems to be the norm.

54ju1k7.gif

Wollan

For me though they have showed that they can at least handle ground based combat with the TGS demo (strangely enough due to their pedigree) so for their next project they should make it a large scale rts game. They have the engine and somewhat framework so get to it.

Sapapayo

Alex said:
I expected the game to be terrible, simply because that's how I've felt about every Factor 5 game but EGM is still a ****ing rag and a blind man could give you a better opinion.

Some people here say that about ign, other about edge (need to give +1, no +2 cos it's edge, na...), other about etc... I dont want to defend EGM but stop this shit...

rpgfan16k

GashPrex said:
you should post all the other review scores from the EGM in a separate post

I was gonna say the same thing, but this thread doesn't need something off-topic to furthur overkill this already mutilated carcass of a thread.

Anyway back on topic, IIRC the Play Review mentioned something about hazy mission objectives, I don't remember anything about control problems, tho.

Sapapayo said:
Some people here say that about ign, other about edge (need to give +1, no +2 cos it's edge, na...), other about etc... I dont want to defend EGM but stop this shit...

... because rags like EGM and gaming sites like IGN fail to use a genuine 1-10 scoring scale. Which kind of proves my point.

Sapapayo

AltogetherAndrews said:
... because rags like EGM and gaming sites like IGN fail to use a genuine 1-10 scoring scale.

I just say that many people think some websites and review are shit because they didn't give what fanboys wanted.

It's like nintendo blind fanbois who don't give a shit about gamespot because of TP's review.

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
THX isn't a recording format. It's a just a quality assurance system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX

THX actually can mean several things.

Some of the higher-end receivers have post-processing that is actually created by THX, intended to compensate for how soundtracks are engineered for movie theaters. Many soundtracks do not get re-engineered properly for home (at least historically they didn't), so this compensation was created. Obviously that wouldn't be applicable here

However, they do also offer a quality assurance as you mentioned. If you notice, some DVDs are marked as THX certified. For audio, the not only means it is of a certain quality, but also engineered specifically with home theaters in mind.

Top Bottom