• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

One thing I've learned from EGM or 1up, they never review the store version of any game. I would wait for gamespot, they tend to review the store version. Magazines have to meet deadlines to often and who knows when this review was written.

I guess we'll find out.

One of two things will happen now:

1) Now that expectations are lowered... Perhaps people will enjoy the game properly.
2) It really does have gameplay problems and EGM is just pointing out the truth.

I've always wanted a pet dragon so I'll pick it up and post impressions.
:D However, that's just me.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
gluv65 said:
One thing I've learned from EGM or 1up, they never review the store version of any game. I would wait for gamespot, they tend to review the store version. Magazines have to meet deadlines to often and who knows when this review was written.

:lol

RSTEIN said:

I didn't say that because of the score that was given to the game, they belittled mlb the show 07 for the ps3 and that game is fantastic. I just think they review "reviewable builds" but not the final game. I seen it too much, I'm not hating on them and it may be a mediore game, but I wouldn't count on egm as the end all be all.

NinSoX

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
FALSE ALARM PEOPLE !

EGM gave god of war 2 a 7, there is still hope for Lair :D

Where are you getting this misinformation from?

Gamerankings: God of War II

Electronic Gaming Monthly

4/1/2007

9.17 out of 10

91.7%

TEH-CJ

Banned
NinSoX said:
Where are you getting this misinformation from?

Gamerankings: God of War II

Electronic Gaming Monthly

4/1/2007

9.17 out of 10

91.7%

Thanks for that , mate told me otherwise ...

Carry on people Lair flopped

ari

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
My confidence is shaken but not yet broken. I await the impressions of GAF.

just rent it or play it from a friend, the internets isn't exactly neutral turf for reviews. its all kind of bias.

AltogetherAndrews said:
EGM review scores? No ****ing way dude! :lol

yea way... i'm here to please and deliver. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thread canceled. This thread will be annexed by the MGS4 thread and will be devoted to talking about Raiden's package.

So, who wants to start?

Well, I will. It's electric.

I wouldn't call this game a "bomb" considering it will still sell over a million copies because it looks pretty and it is exclusive. I also don't trust EGM one bit when it comes to reviews. They're almost on the level of Gamepro. Give me my Game Informer, IGN, and Gamespot reviews.

klix108

Absinthe said:
I wouldn't call this game a "bomb" considering it will still sell over a million copies because it looks pretty and it is exclusive. I also don't trust EGM one bit when it comes to reviews. They're almost on the level of Gamepro. Give me my Game Informer, IGN, and Gamespot reviews.

1 million eh?

Ploid 3.0

beelzebozo said:
how the hell am i the first one to get this? i'm in the sticks and i always get it so late. my last issue had level maps for mega man 3

I just got my Soul Calibur EGM this Friday... I live in mississippi and not some remote village I swear. Hate this mess.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
TEH-CJ said:
FALSE ALARM PEOPLE !

EGM gave god of war 2 a 7, there is still hope for Lair :D
Mrbob said:
EGM didn't give God of War 2 a 7.

Oh and bomba bomba.

amazing what one little piece of disinformation can do to an entire thread.

And fwiw, even if EGM did give God of War a 7 (which they didn't), that doesn't automatically invalidate the opinions presented on LAIR. Unless you believe they have some axe to grind against Sony ...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Nerevar said:

And fwiw, even if EGM did give God of War a 7 (which they didn't), that doesn't automatically invalidate the opinions presented on LAIR. Unless you believe they have some axe to grind against Sony ...

Why would the axe be grining sony F5 made the game.

klix108

Oneself said:
Oh well, like a real Sony bitch I'm gonna try it anyways. Lair am bought already. Just for the graphics.:lol

Same hehe I've been waiting to long for this game to just throw it away based on crappy reviews.

Maybe I'll just rent it instead of buy it if the game gets horrible reviews across the board.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Nerevar said:

Yea i relise that now...my bad people k get over it o_O lol

and any review giving gow 2 below a 9 loses all credibility they once had..no arguing it .

ari

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Uh, you seriously mean to tell me that you didn't see the scores posted in this thread almost a 100 posts ago?

your joke meter is broken....maybe you should stop being so defensive all the time.

tanod

when is my burrito
Hmm about the EGM review. It gives me pause but I'll wait for some other ones. I wasn't expecting scores that low but it kind of sounds like another Genji now.

Although it's really hard for me. Dragons are ****ing awesome, the story sounds really interesting, and the production values are through the roof. Emotions conflicted. :'(

As far as the reviewers go, Garnett is about as far from my taste in games as you can get. I have a lot of respect for Crispin's opinions and I'm not familiar with Greg Ford's taste.

ari

Banned
Absinthe said:
I really do think so. It helps that this game is exclusive. It will likely hit a million before Christmas, but probably won't crack the top 20 in sales.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

jk post confirm

ari

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
lair will be a system seller in japan

i think europe will sell liar the most and us comes in second... i can't see japan at all with a game like this.

ari said:
your joke meter is broken....maybe you should stop being so defensive all the time.

There was no "joke meter", so that's an imaginary crutch. You tried to contribute with some bad news (because that's what you do) only it had already been posted and discussed over nearly a 100 posts by the time you got around to posting this "news".

derder

Okay.

I have Lair pre-ordered at overstock.com for 42 shipped. Should I cancel it or beat it and turn it into credit towards rock band?

Will I be able to get ~40 dollars out of it at EB(edge) or Gamecrazy?

Terribly specific, but should provide a simple yes or no solution.

ari

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
There was no "joke meter", so that's an imaginary crutch. You tried to contribute with some bad news (because that's what you do) only it had already been posted and discussed over nearly a 100 posts by the time you got around to posting this "news".

wtf..... i just log on, didn't see the op updated, and posted the review score........

you couldn''t tell i was joking after you replyed

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm holding strong with my pre-order. I hardly go by reviews anymore. To me, the story, sound, visuals, and general production, have been the main reason for following this.

Spooks

**** it im still getting Lair. Either way warhawk still comes out next month and we all know how awesome thats going to be :D

ari

Banned
Spooks said:
**** it im still getting Lair. Either way warhawk still comes out next month and we all know how awesome thats going to be :D

yea, i'm be getting warhawk no matter what...doesn't it come with a free headset.... day one purchase. :D :D

Pistolero

Sheeeesh...Factor 5 reminds me of the guy who shows off his footbalistic skills during half-time in soccer meetings. It does look fancy, sophisticated, but you know the wizard will not shine with 21 other players on the field. Huh...

mm04

derder said:
Okay.

I have Lair pre-ordered at overstock.com for 42 shipped. Should I cancel it or beat it and turn it into credit towards rock band?

Will I be able to get ~40 dollars out of it at EB(edge) or Gamecrazy?

Terribly specific, but should provide a simple yes or no solution.

For that price, you may as well keep it and got your play on. Then just trade that sucker in for store credit (and probably a decent amount) if it sucks. Who knows, it may surprise you.

Tideas

Banned
ari said:
yea, i'm be getting warhawk no matter what...doesn't it come with a free headset.... day one purchase. :D :D

The free headset is only when you purchase the $59 blueray. The PSN version is probably $30

Tideas

Banned
GAMEPRO - 3.75/5 (A)

Pros: Gorgeous graphics, amazing orchestral soundtrack, dragon based action is fun.

Cons: The decision to use a SixAxis only control scheme hurts more than it helps.

Some random quotes from the review...

ON THE CONTROL SCHEME ISSUES:

"To be fair, the motion sensing is pretty accurate but requiring you to constantly move your hands around while fiddling with buttons over the course of a fairly long game is asking too much. It's unfortunate that the game relies so heavily on a gimmicky feature that no one has been able to get a true grasp of (pun intended)."

ON THE GOOD QUALITIES:

"At it's best, the dragon-based combat of Lair is pretty damn awesome. Soaring around majestically in the sky; raining hot fiery dragon-breath death upon your foes' heads; grappling with other dragons and clawing their eyes out; leaping onto an enemy dragon-rider's back and hacking at him with your weapon; swooping down onto the ground and rampaging around like Godzilla--there's no shortage of thrills to be had."

SOME ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

"I should point out that we were playing an early review build and Factor 5 will probably make tweaks up to the moment the gold master goes off to the mastering lab, but the core gameply mechanics are already in place and there's no denying that it's flawed. I expect many fans will be disappointed thanks to all of the hype that's built up around the game, but the inevitable complaints about the control scheme will no doubt be warrented. Despite all this, Lair still manages to be a decent title that all PS3 owners should look into but you may want to reserve your true excitement for the day when the other hotly anticipated PS3 titles like Heavenly Sword arrive."

ON THE GROUND CONTROLS:

"The Sixaxis-only control scheme that plagues the game is noticably absent when you land your dragon on the ground as the analog sticks take over, making it easier to wreak havoc."

Pistolero said:
Sheeeesh...Factor 5 reminds me of the guy who shows off his footbalistic skills during half-time in soccer meetings. It does look fancy, sophisticated, but you know the wizard will not shine with 21 other players on the field. Huh...

That's a ridiculously good analogy

ari said:
wtf..... i just log on, didn't see the op updated, and posted the review score........

you couldn''t tell i was joking after you replyed

Ok, so you were in fact in such a rush to add this news to this thread that you completely forgot to check the past 100 posts to see if it had perhaps already been posted. Isn't that what I asked? Not sure where the joke meter comes into play, but then I guess I wouldn't know since mine is reportedly broken anyway.

ari

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Ok, so you were in fact in such a rush to add this news to this thread that you completely forgot to check the past 100 posts to see if it had perhaps already been posted. Not sure where the joke meter comes into play, but then I guess I wouldn't know since mine is reportedly broken anyway.

i guess your stfu meter is broke too.

Tideas said:
GAMEPRO - 3.75/5 (A)

Pros: Gorgeous graphics, amazing orchestral soundtrack, dragon based action is fun.

Cons: The decision to use a SixAxis only control scheme hurts more than it helps.

Some random quotes from the review...

ON THE CONTROL SCHEME ISSUES:

"To be fair, the motion sensing is pretty accurate but requiring you to constantly move your hands around while fiddling with buttons over the course of a fairly long game is asking too much. It's unfortunate that the game relies so heavily on a gimmicky feature that no one has been able to get a true grasp of (pun intended)."

ON THE GOOD QUALITIES:

"At it's best, the dragon-based combat of Lair is pretty damn awesome. Soaring around majestically in the sky; raining hot fiery dragon-breath death upon your foes' heads; grappling with other dragons and clawing their eyes out; leaping onto an enemy dragon-rider's back and hacking at him with your weapon; swooping down onto the ground and rampaging around like Godzilla--there's no shortage of thrills to be had."

SOME ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

"I should point out that we were playing an early review build and Factor 5 will probably make tweaks up to the moment the gold master goes off to the mastering lab, but the core gameply mechanics are already in place and there's no denying that it's flawed. I expect many fans will be disappointed thanks to all of the hype that's built up around the game, but the inevitable complaints about the control scheme will no doubt be warrented. Despite all this, Lair still manages to be a decent title that all PS3 owners should look into but you may want to reserve your true excitement for the day when the other hotly anticipated PS3 titles like Heavenly Sword arrive."

ON THE GROUND CONTROLS:

"The Sixaxis-only control scheme that plagues the game is noticably absent when you land your dragon on the ground as the analog sticks take over, making it easier to wreak havoc."

That's 75%, exactly where I think most of the scores will fall.

Top Bottom