• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lunar Knights DS Release Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
colinp said:
!? Where did you find that?

Uh... remember that room that Aaron was training in at the start of Chapter 2? Go back there once you've teamed up with Lucian, and go one room farther west (previously inaccessible).

It starts off with a shield gauge of 30 (pity my first shield was powered up to 35 already, from its initial 25 starting value), and seems to heal shield gauge/2 for a regular block, shield gauge with a perfect guard.

Rocks. But so far, game breaking.

john tv

Mejilan said:
Wow, the second (healing) shield is just so damn cheap. :lol
I haven't gotten it yet. I just did the Jormungandr sidequest, which was pretty cool, and now I'm finishing up the remaining quests I've unlocked so far. Good times. :)

Mejilan

I'm finishing up the Sewers... Chapter 3, I think? I probably shouldn't have the Vanargand II at level 6, Knight II at level 6, and Witch at level 5, nor should my guys be levels 14 and 20 (Aaron and Lucian, respectively), nor should I have close to 8 hours on the clock... but I forgive myself. :D

RaidenZR

So what's the max of levelling up weapons and such? I have the Vanguard at like Lv 14 or 15 last I checked. Does it ever end?

john tv

Has anyone been keeping a list of which enemies/areas give off which Junk Parts? I'm looking to upgrade some weapons but I'd rather find this stuff than waste money on it at the shops. Right now I'm at Witch Lv. 6, Vanargand Lv. 5, Jormungandr Lv. 2, and Knight Lv. 4 (I don't really use Knight or Jormungandr much).

colinp

Banned
john tv said:
Has anyone been keeping a list of which enemies/areas give off which Junk Parts? I'm looking to upgrade some weapons but I'd rather find this stuff than waste money on it at the shops. Right now I'm at Witch Lv. 6, Vanargand Lv. 5, Jormungandr Lv. 2, and Knight Lv. 4 (I don't really use Knight or Jormungandr much).

That would be a helpful list. The game does track which enemies gave what items (as I am sure you know), if you can remember where you fought them... Bit of a hassle looking through all the enemies, but hey when you compile the enemies/areas/items be sure to post them here :D

john tv

One more question: I remember hearing something about a room on the train where you can get lots of photos to sell for big $$? Does anyone have more info on this? I looked around the train and broke everything I could multiple times, but didn't find anything.

Mejilan

The first (starting) weather condition, plus night time. You'll have a great chance of scoring the Meteor Shower condition. While this lasts, every enemy will ALWAYS drop an item. So go to an area that has lots of enemies carrying the parts you need, and farm, farm, farm!

john tv said:
One more question: I remember hearing something about a room on the train where you can get lots of photos to sell for big $$? Does anyone have more info on this? I looked around the train and broke everything I could multiple times, but didn't find anything.

Has to be a certain weather condition. The photos give you 3000 a pop, so an inventory of 20 of 'em....

Stolen from another forum:
Only read if you want to know a really fast money trick that I'm sure a few of you have already figured out.

In the Train Station, you'll note that occasionally there are some brown boxes laying about that can be smashed. Well, this is fine and dandy, but occasionally(Not too rarely, I'd say approximately 1/5 times or so), they yeild an item: A photo of the Duke.

There's an area in a train car in the second underground part(After you have the Ninja) where there are four of these boxes and a treasure chest containing a gem which sells for about 800 Soll. Don't get the gem.

Why, you ask?

Because that place also has four boxes which respawn every time you leave the car. Smash the boxes which respawn to get as many Duke Photos as you like.

Duke Photos sell for 3000 Soll. Meaning if you go in, fill your whole 20-slot inventory with photos of the Duke, then sell them all, you'll end up with 60000 Soll each run. Requires Tropical weather to work. If 95-100% humidity (or raining), instead of Duke Photos you get Poster Girl photos that sell for 70,000 soll. Rain doesnt always make the humidity 100%.

Mejilan

Haven't tried it yet, so lemme know how it works. Is Sol really that necessary? I heard you can't buy the later junk parts anyway... :(

john tv

Mejilan said:
Haven't tried it yet, so lemme know how it works. Is Sol really that necessary? I heard you can't buy the later junk parts anyway... :(
Works like a charm. I made around 80,000 Soll today in like 20 minutes--very useful for buying Junk Parts and upgrading your weapons! I'm in New Culiacan now at around Level 22 with Witch III and Vanargand III and it's still pretty tough. Loving the challenge. :)

Beavertown

Garbage
I was loving this game until I got to the stupid space shooting level. It wouldn't be so bad if I could control my ship with the d-pad and shoot with the stylus, is there any way to do that?

inthegray

just started playing this last week, and i'm 4 chapters in. several questions:

is there any point to using aaron's default gun instead of the witch?

what's missing in the US version, and why did konami decide to take out the wifi/megaman stuff?

should i be talking to every bar patron, info broker, and npc twice with each chapter? i've been doing it so far to get the new snippets of text, and i can see this getting really tiring towards the later parts of the game.

john tv

inthegray said:
is there any point to using aaron's default gun instead of the witch?
For general combat, Witch is much better, but there will be occasions where you need to fire shots that don't change direction on their own, and in those cases, Knight is better. That said, I've never upgraded the Knight past its first form. For all I know, it might turn out to be much more useful at level II or III.

inthegray said:
what's missing in the US version, and why did konami decide to take out the wifi/megaman stuff?
AFAIK that's all that's missing. That and you can't enter a Shin Boktai password at the start like you can in the Japanese version (because Shin Boktai never came out in English). Dunno why the Wi-Fi/Ryuusei no Rockman stuff was taken out.

inthegray said:
should i be talking to every bar patron, info broker, and npc twice with each chapter? i've been doing it so far to get the new snippets of text, and i can see this getting really tiring towards the later parts of the game.
If you want to get all of the quests and/or understand the full story, then yes, pretty much. Otherwise, not really.

12 quests down, two to go for me. I'm about to clear New Culiacan, too, which means the last two should be opening up soon!

Mejilan

Actually, it's not a bad idea to talk to each NPC THREE times. From what I can tell, all have 2 conversations per chapter/major event. IF they plan on offering a quest, it's USUALLY in a third convo.

Haunted

Mejilan said:
Actually, it's not a bad idea to talk to each NPC THREE times. From what I can tell, all have 2 conversations per chapter/major event. IF they plan on offering a quest, it's USUALLY in a third convo.
Man, I started playing this last week, here and there, made it to chapter 4 - I didn't even know there were sidequests in this game! I just talked to some NPCs once or maybe twice but it didn't trigger anything. Now I read this, talk to all the NPCs and suddenly three sidequests open up. :D

I just re-entered the chapter 2 level to get the healing shield - I'd never gone back to that place if I hadn't read your post, how do you find those things? :lol

oh, and a possibly stupid question: When I enter a level, is there a way to quickly get back to the overworld map? Case in point, I went through chapter 2 streets level to get the healing shield and had to trudge all the way back again through low-level enemies who didn't give me much exp. :(

Awesome game btw. Cheesy VA and 'story', but I don't care - it's fun to play! :)

Mejilan

Haunted_One said:
I just re-entered the chapter 2 level to get the healing shield - I'd never gone back to that place if I hadn't read your post, how do you find those things? :lol

oh, and a possibly stupid question: When I enter a level, is there a way to quickly get back to the overworld map? Case in point, I went through chapter 2 streets level to get the healing shield and had to trudge all the way back again through low-level enemies who didn't give me much exp. :(

Well, I remembered an explosion happening "off screen" during Aaron's introductory cinematic. Then, the game won't let you get back until you clear the chapter. Made a mental note to go back, and so I did at my next opportunity! Great shield!

ALL locations can and should be revisited, particularly whenever you open up a new climate!

To exit a level, use the communicator item (first one) in you Valuables screen to talk to Alice. From there you can retry the level, or just escape. 200 Sols for either, IIRC.

You can dash right by the low level enemies, if need be. If you're revisting a REALLY early area just to get to a previously inaccessible room (or sub-dungeon!), dash by the weenies. Though you'll probably miss out on some extra junk parts that way.

Haunted

Mejilan said:
Well, I remembered an explosion happening "off screen" during Aaron's introductory cinematic. Then, the game won't let you get back until you clear the chapter. Made a mental note to go back, and so I did at my next opportunity! Great shield!
nice observation skills. I missed that completely when I played the chapter. :D The shield is cool, but it's not really game-breaking because it doesn't replenish enough Life (compared to the damage the enemies do).

Mejilan said:
To exit a level, use the communicator item (first one) in you Valuables screen to talk to Alice. From there you can retry the level, or just escape. 200 Sols for either, IIRC.
*slaps head* Man, I feel so dumb to forget that - she told me so in a cutscene and that her services would cost some money.. :( I need a way to get more Sol if I plan to re-trace my steps more often. (saw your trick above, but I want to do some of the sidequests before I venture into the train station).

I really like the game so far, my other DS games are taking a bit of a back seat right now because of it. I thought it was a fairly linear game at first, but now that I learn more about the sidequests and optional items/weapons to collect, I can see that I'll be getting much more playtime (and enjoyment) out of the title than I expected initially. :D

colinp

Banned
I've been neglecting this game a bit recently. Damn you Animal Crossing WW.... and Final Fantasy III... And Meteos.... Yikes, catching up on the DS back log is not easy.

That said, congrats on winning momo you are in for one hell of a ride. Don't listen to the people whining about the shooter sections. They wouldn't be half as fun if you controlled the ship with the d-pad.

john tv

Been playing this non-stop in my (admittedly limited) spare time. I'm nearing the 14-hour mark, levels 28 and 27, all quests unlocked and all but one of them cleared (the last one). After that I'll head to
the Dark Castle
and get started on the final stretch.

john tv

Woot, finished the game tonight. Last couple of areas were totally awesome. :)

My first playthrough results:

Difficulty: Normal
Play Time: 19:38:45
Continues: 11
Soll Acquired: 548,150
Soll Borrowed: 64
Lucian: Lv. 37
Aaron: Lv. 37
Favorite Sword: Vanargand
Favorite Gun: Witch
Favorite Terrennial: Toasty
Favorite Climate: A.Desert

Think I'll try a New Game+ run next, but I may take the J-version for a spin first to see exactly what (if anything) is different.

Anyone else still playing?

keiichi

Weapon Help:
I'm stuck at a part that appears to be on the way to the Dark Scythe Hel, it's in the sewers, after using the ice guy on the flame block you later reach a room with a moving platform with 3 cannons on one side and 3 crystals on the other.. one with a flame... so.. what am i supposed to do now?
Thanks!

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Turn the fire one into ice to open the door above you.

Turn them all into fire to get a treasure chest. I believe the treasure is an amulet that protected against burning/freezing.

Use Aaron's Witch to take out the cannons. Use Aaron's Bomber to change the elements. (Easiest way)

EDIT: The Witch will only take out two. You have to use the Witch on the third cannon during one of your go-arounds on the floating platform. Again, use the Bomber to change the elements - the blast radius helps. If you don't have the bomber, come back later, it's not worth the time and effort with another weapon, IMO. Use fire on the ice ones to turn them into flame and ice terrenial on the fire one to make it ice.

PolyGone

Banned
This game is fantastic.

I'm in new Culiacan now. I stopped playing for a bit because I started FF12. How many more areas are left before I finish the game?

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit

The Dark Castle & Byron

3 if you do a new game+, with Vambery Tower. Which is HARD around Level 70. Level 70 enemies, WTF?! Curse you Konami for not letting me level my skill past 50!!!

john tv

Future Trunks said:

The Dark Castle & Byron

3 if you do a new game+, with Vambery Tower. Which is HARD around Level 70. Level 70 enemies, WTF?! Curse you Konami for not letting me level my skill past 50!!!
I'm working my way through this now. I'm up to the 70th floor now on Hard difficulty; both of my guys are around level 78 or so. Really, really enjoying it. :)

probune

I just got this game yesterday, it's fantastic. Favorite DS game I've played.

If I could complain about anything it's the shooter stages - I got to the third one and I keep on losing because the touch screen just doesn't seem to be working like I expect it too, it's a little clunky and doesn't always recognize when I try to move the ship around.

Otherwise, I love it :D

linsivvi

john tv said:
I'm working my way through this now. I'm up to the 70th floor now on Hard difficulty; both of my guys are around level 78 or so. Really, really enjoying it. :)

I am working on this also. Just moved past level 80 and it's getting really difficult now. Also takes forever to collect all the materials required for the last few levels of the weapons...

Anyone trying to get all the titles?

I just became aware of this game cause of Shane on the 1up podcast. He said its like Zelda mixed with Castlevania, is that true. Would Zelda fans love this game.

Jirotrom

Yeah...that show got me interested as I love both of those series... money is just so tight right now, I might sell some stuff.

john tv

I finished the
extra dungeon
yesterday and
saw the true ending
. Both of my guys were level 99 by the time I got to the end, and my game clock was 36:21. I think that just about does it for me -- I really, really enjoyed the game and hope they get to work on a sequel ASAP! Definitely one of my favorite DS games thus far.

Next up for me: Portrait of Ruin. Konami's on a roll with DS, eh? :)

Jirotrom said:
how is this game?
Did you try, I dunno, reading the thread? There's tons of impressions in here...

Anyway, yeah, it's definitely got some aspects of Zelda and Castlevania in it. I wouldn't say it's too much like either of those but it does share a lot of their qualities (action RPG gameplay, excellent 2D graphics, vampires, killer music, etc.).

Jirotrom

john tv said:
I finished the
extra dungeon
yesterday and
saw the true ending
. Both of my guys were level 99 by the time I got to the end, and my game clock was 36:21. I think that just about does it for me -- I really, really enjoyed the game and hope they get to work on a sequel ASAP! Definitely one of my favorite DS games thus far.

Next up for me: Portrait of Ruin. Konami's on a roll with DS, eh? :)

Did you try, I dunno, reading the thread? There's tons of impressions in here...

Anyway, yeah, it's definitely got some aspects of Zelda and Castlevania in it. I wouldn't say it's too much like either of those but it does share a lot of their qualities (action RPG gameplay, excellent 2D graphics, vampires, killer music, etc.).
Sorry man...I was being lazy last night and just wanted to gather a general consensus.

probune

I think it's a little too easy to level up in this game. I wanted some challenge so I put on those boots that double your money and take all your EXP away and I stayed at level 52 for the rest of the game, which was incredibly easy because of my levels... hard mode here I come, I suppose! :D

linsivvi

john tv said:
I finished the
extra dungeon
yesterday and
saw the true ending

I did all that too and nearly upgraded my weapons and shields to max level, and then I realized in order to collect all titles, I will need the first two GBA games, which I don't have. :/

So reluctantly I'll have to say that's it for me as well. Great game, regardless.

Future Trunks

By the way, why's the skill cap at 50 and it's only half of the "box" size? Is there a way to unlock the other half?

mjc

This is like a super bump, but I remembered something about this game when I played it earlier this year. I thought it was a pretty cool game overall but the controls with the d-pad had me pulling my hair out. It was near impossible for me to consistently use the diagonal movements in the game because the Lite's d-pad isn't too flexible in that regard.

Was I just missing something? It seemed like the type of game where you absolutely need to have access to diagonal movement in order take out enemies.

tokkun

(...why did you bump this thread....)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can change the controls in the options to make it so the d-pad buttons map to diagonals.

Top Bottom