• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

witness

Leonsito said:
I hope I'm not too late to the party, just made this in ImageReady:

wiibama-1.gif

My hero! :lol

fse

MidgarBlowedUp said:
By the time Killzone 2 and Home are out, the xbox360 will look like another last gen console.

In total the, sony brand, psp+ps2+ps3 are taking up 50% of the march npd (770k).

:lol

Arde5643

StorablePrawn said:
Not even close. A couple decent games does not a Wii Sports make.
It's more of a shoe-in attempt to include Wii-Sports in the total software Wii sales.

It's pretty obvious a lot of people mostly buy the Wii for WiiSports first and then other games later.

neptunes

MidgarBlowedUp said:
By the time Killzone 2 and Home are out, the xbox360 will look like another last gen console.

In total the, sony brand, psp+ps2+ps3 are taking up 50% of the march npd (770k).
I was wondering when these posts would show up

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
MidgarBlowedUp said:

gold jerry, gold!

Mrbob

40/80GB sales ratio is normally around 50/50, and since there are no 80GB currently to buy we can extrapolate the PS3 would have sold around 500K in March if people could get a hold of the system they want! :D

C4Lukins

MidgarBlowedUp said:

Fantastic math.

DCharlie

Banned
I lurrrrrv you!

i came back for yous guys coz i missed you all (and i'd miss out on the TGS party - well, no i wouldn't have but at least i could get more involved in sorting out more liver suicides if i'm here)

I totally agree with this statement actually

given the usual PS3/Sony delays, by the time they make it out we'll probably be drooling over the X720. So it will look like a last gen console. Sony - that vague wiff of "next gen : it's just around the next corner... no this time we mean it!" ;)

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:
Seriously.

Holy fucking shit. Is that a record for a non-Christmas month?
Yes. The previous record was February 2008.

...Wait, do you mean non-Christmas as in non-Holiday, or non-December?

Frillen

MidgarBlowedUp said:

In total the, sony brand, psp+ps2+ps3 are taking up (oops)ish% of the march npd (770k).

Uh oh.

Holy crap . . . my guesses were all way too low. :lol

Nice fight between PS3 & 360! Competition is great for everyone!! :D

With Mario Kart, GTA 4, and Wii Fit; April and May gonna be out of control too!

PS3 owners are learning. They stayed away from a problematic Ubi port of Vegas 2 (360 version outsold the PS3 version by > 3:1) but were interested in a good port of Army of Two (360 version outsold the PS3 version by 2.7 to 1).

And hello, there, PSP. It was nice seeing you. I'm not sure when you'll be back again! It's too bad that two huge games weren't enough to seriously bump up the hardware sales, but 300k is still very nice.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MidgarBlowedUp said:

In total the, sony brand, psp+ps2+ps3 are taking up (oops)ish% of the march npd (770k).

Inthewater.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mrbob said:
40/80GB sales ratio is normally around 50/50, and since there are no 80GB currently to buy we can extrapolate the PS3 would have sold around 500K in March if people could get a hold of the system they want! :D
I agree with you completely. Just wait until the Pachter's prediction for the PS3 sales come true because of the GTAIV effect.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MidgarBlowedUp said:

Umm Nintendo nearly doubled that with 1.42 Million....

AniHawk said:
I don't see what's wrong with that statement. A lot of third parties, especially western third parties, simply despise the Wii. Things aren't going to change. SE, Capcom and Sega might be on board (and SE is pretty iffy), but there isn't a lot of love coming from anyone else. At least the DS has awesome 2D games and revivals and continuations of old franchises (in 2D).

most games that were recently released had development started before the wii ever came out, most games expected this year started when this war was just getting started and no one released just how much of a floor wipping the wii was gonna give its competition, only towards the end of this year and into next year will we finally start to see games that began being made when it was obvious what would happen and the majority will be on wii

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Leonsito said:
I hope I'm not too late to the party, just made this in ImageReady:

wiibama-1.gif
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MY GOD u have no idea how i loled at that hahahahaha

It´s exactly the situation now :lol :lol

Man, those nintendo numbers are fucking insane. They´ve made history once again. Period.

Arde5643

jetjevons said:
This thread is moving a little slow for a NeoGAF NPD thread.
The thread is usually ballooned thanks to pointless posts/comments by dumb non-sales age fantards.

And since Wii is literally chewing, spitting out, and stomp-curbing the rest of the HD family, it's got to be very depressing for most of them to show themselves here.
Hence, only the most idiotic and zealot-type will show up.

Frillen

speculawyer said:
Holy crap . . . my guesses were all way too low. :lol

Nice fight between PS3 & 360! Competition is great for everyone!! :D

With Mario Kart, GTA 4, and Wii Fit; April and May gonna be out of control too!

I also expect Pokemon Dungeon 2 to do some stellar numbers.

DCharlie said:
i totally agree - the X360 numbers are turgid too , but the fact that the two are trending in line again means that gap isn't going to close any time soon.

But yeah, Sony fans saw those two months of mild sales victories as an obvious trend upward to ultimate domination.

now it's swung back the other way, they are rational so perhaps X360 on top is good for people's general sanity?

In truth both numbers are poor for this month.
oh shit

ohshitohshitohshit

DCHARLIE

The Wii is winning because it's the right product at the right time. It didn't overshoot the market, and it favored function and design over technology. It also comes packed in with one of the best and most unique pieces of software this gen. Its entertainment value is unmatched in what is an entertainment (not technology) market.

That's funny... I've had much more fun with my 360, and I find Wii Sports, Wii's killer app, to be detestable.

MisterHero

bigmakstudios said:
That's funny... I've had much more fun with my 360, and I find Wii Sports, Wii's killer app, to be detestable.
Ahahahahaha

it doesn't matter what YOU think

j/k

Frillen

bigmakstudios said:

And everyone in the entire world has the same opinion as yours?

NeoUltima

dammitmattt said:
PS3 owners are learning. They stayed away from a problematic Ubi port of Vegas 2 (360 version outsold the PS3 version by > 3:1) but were interested in a good port of Army of Two (360 version outsold the PS3 version by 2.7 to 1).

And hello, there, PSP. It was nice seeing you. I'm not sure when you'll be back again! It's too bad that two huge games weren't enough to seriously bump up the hardware sales, but 300k is still very nice.
For the most part, I would attribute the higher AR for R6V2 360 to the fact that the first game was out on 360 for a year longer than the ps3(ps3 got a little hyped port). Thus it had a much larger following. Also, Army of Two actually has a higher AR on PS3 if that 2.7:1 ratio is correct... Somewhat surprising.

Weenerz

Banned
I remember when people guffawed at the Gamecube and n64, expecting Nintendo to never lead again. Looks like they were wrong.

And holy nuts at 2.7 million SSBB numbers. I need to get a Wii so bad =(

pieyow

Nutter said:
Well Smash just earned it self the third highest opening for a console game behind Halo 2, and Halo 3.
GTA I reckon might still beat that number too. I predict 1.9 million on 360 and 1 million on PS3.

Well current sources close to Take Two are predicting 6 million GTA4 copies the first week. Now will this be true? Time will tell, but from what I gather these numbers are counting pre-orders and orders put in by stores for the game. That's across both PS3 and 360.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Arde5643 said:
Interesting how a lot of GAFfers who never frequent sales-age threads seem to be very defensive about Wii selling so much.

I wonder, wonder, oh I wonder why.

It makes my decision to camp for a Wii when Gamestop had that promo much smarter. When the GC came out, I was a bigger fan of Nintendo than I am now of Microsoft. That has waned greatly, but how can you not be happy for Nintendo. All they want to do is make great games and they have been doing so for over 20 years. I applaud them for where they are. They are making family functions a lot easier for me to what to host because my nieces and nephews want to play the Wii and Uncle Ricky has one, it's great, at least for me.

AniHawk

frankie_baby said:
most games that were recently released had development started before the wii ever came out, most games expected this year started when this war was just getting started and no one released just how much of a floor wipping the wii was gonna give its competition, only towards the end of this year and into next year will we finally start to see games that began being made when it was obvious what would happen and the majority will be on wii

Eh, I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's more likely that Wii games get downgraded from PS3 and 360 releases in the future, like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Sonic Unleashed.

Scrubking

MWS Natural said:
It's still good for the industry because developers can use money made off of Wii to fund HD games for PS360 :D .

Sadly that's exactly what's happening. See companies like Ubisoft and Namco who only give the Wii Petz and We Cheer while putting all their top franchises on any console other than the Wii.

I'm sure Nintendo is happy with their money, but if that doesn't translate into third parties giving the Wii their top franshises, exclusive or not, I don't see anything to get excited about.

I think this will be the first time in history where the #1 console doesn't get the best support. Crazy.

Top Bottom