• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

MisterHero said:
Ahahahahaha

it doesn't matter what YOU think

j/k

No, it really doesn't, and I'm fully aware of that. I just don't like when someone says that Wii offers the most value in fun as if fun could be measured objectively.

The PS3 is in some deep shit when/if Microsoft decides to lower the price on the damn thing. I mean, to be selling at these levels with just a $50 price drop in two and a half years is just fuckin insane.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so to get this straight, when xbox and sony were beating nintendo, it was funny because nintendo was a failed company. now when nintendo is absolutely dominating them for going on two years straight, it doesn't really matter because nintendo is a different market than they are. gotcha.

as others have said... publishers have generally ignored the Wii. Month in and month out Wii has had the highest sales (often by a huge margin) for over a year now, yet pubs continue to play it coy. something tells me on the back of March (SSBB), April (MKWii), and May (WiiFit), publishers will take a new and aggressive look at Wii. There's no way a system can outsell it's two other competitors by as large a margin as Wii did this month and likely will the next two months without your shareholders asking why exactly you aren't giving it any kind of attention.

NeoUltima

I guess I'm a loner here, but the most surprising this to me about this NPD is the PS2 sales. It went from 351k to 216k...Its sales dropped over 50% on a week to week basis...That is pretty shocking.
jasonbay said:
then the 99 dollar price will come and it will rise up the chartz
Ahh, speaking of that, Target did have ps2 on sale for a week last month for $99...Though I doubt that attributes solely for the drop in sales.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AniHawk said:
Eh, I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's more likely that Wii games get downgraded from PS3 and 360 releases in the future, like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Sonic Unleashed.
Is it really a downgraded PS3/360 release when Force unleashed is also being released on the PS2/PSP? :D

AniHawk said:
Eh, I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's more likely that Wii games get downgraded from PS3 and 360 releases in the future, like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Sonic Unleashed.

the force unleashed is undoubtably a rush job, however isnt sonic being developed for the wii with a port-up for ps360

borghe said:
so to get this straight, when xbox and sony were beating nintendo, it was funny because nintendo was a failed company. now when nintendo is absolutely dominating them for going on two years straight, it doesn't really matter because nintendo is a different market than they are. gotcha.

as others have said... publishers have generally ignored the Wii. Month in and month out Wii has had the highest sales (often by a huge margin) for over a year now, yet pubs continue to play it coy. something tells me on the back of March (SSBB), April (MKWii), and May (WiiFit), publishers will take a new and aggressive look at Wii. There's no way a system can outsell it's two other competitors by as large a margin as Wii did this month and likely will the next two months without your shareholders asking why exactly you aren't giving it any kind of attention.

Thats total bullshit, Wii has been outselling the competition consistently for months on end, and by a large margin. If 3rd parties didn't pick up now, they won't be anytime soon.

bigmakstudios said:
That's funny... I've had much more fun with my 360, and I find Wii Sports, Wii's killer app, to be detestable.
The head of MGM studios was asked, during a time when television was taking root, whether or not his company would get into the television business. He replied with a resounding "No. Why would we want to get into television? We are in the movie business."

That man was myopic for he didn't see that he was not in the movie business but rather in the entertainment business. He paid the steep price for his folly and his small contingent of cinema-only movie buffs couldn't save him.

Frillen

NeoUltima said:
I guess I'm a loner here, but the most surprising this to me about this NPD is the PS2 sales. It went from 351k to 216k...Its sales dropped over 50% on a week to week basis...That is pretty shocking.

Not really. PS2 numbers were bound to dive compared to last year.

borghe said:

I heard that for so many months now.

They clearly giving more attention, maybe isn't the kind you want, but they are....

JB1981 said:
why are you fucks buying Vegas 2? Fucking Ubisoft gonna continue to pump out shit expansion packs.

Shit, Army of Two PS3 - looks like we have two Shooterbox consoles this gen. All people wanna play is shooters - all they wanna fucking do. amazing.

We're AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

team-america-world-police-1.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Relaxed Muscle said:
I heard that for so many months now.

They clearly giving more attention, maybe isn't the kind you want, but they are....
No, wait for E3 because it'll get better.

neogaf1.gif

Jiggy37 said:
The DS sales impress me more than Wii, considering that it had no games in the top ten, nor any reason in particular for Nintendo to allocate more shipments to NA.
In the prediction thread, I thought the strong Wii sales because of Brawl might displace the the DS's sales somewhat. Guess I was wrong.

Also I was expecting some happy Sakurai gifs in this thread.

Frillen said:
Not really. PS2 numbers were bound to dive compared to last year.

its quite bizare the ps2 sells so much still america at all, in the rest of the major gaming world (uk & japan) it paled into insignificanse a long time ago

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think we'll be able to tell at E3 whether or not third parties are going to jump on the Wii bandwagon once and for all. If we don't see it this year, after a year and a half of dominant Wii sales, we just aren't going to see it.

AniHawk

frankie_baby said:
its quite bizare the ps2 sells so much still america at all, in the rest of the major gaming world (uk & japan) it paled into insignificanse a long time ago
Yeah well Americans are cheapasses.

Epic is probably slapping themselves for not releasing UT3 on the 360 alongside the PS3 version, if not before. The trend is pretty damn obvious - fps games thrive on the 360, and games in general sell extremely well on the 360.

Christine

frankie_baby said:

Guitar Hero says hi.

MisterHero

bafflewaffle said:
In the prediction thread, I thought the strong Wii sales because of Brawl might displace the the DS's sales somewhat. Guess I was wrong.

Also I was expecting some happy Sakurai gifs in this thread.
The last time I looked, I didn't find very many shoppable Sakurai pics. :(

NeoUltima

It'll be interesting to see how much MS attempts to advertise GTAIV as an exclusive. I imagine commercials with 360 logos will be running like crazy. I also imagine that they will make sure all the big retail chains have a picture of a 360 and GTAIV on the cover of their weekly sales flyers. I think the AR will be roughly the same for each version, but 360 will get a much larger boost in hardware sales than ps3 will, IF they advertise how I think they will.

Tron 2.0

frankie_baby said:
It's selling about as well as the PS3 in Japan.

Arde5643

borghe said:
The best example of how Wii audience has some of the most gullible owners ripe for the plucking is almost all of Sega's multiplatform games in the Wii.

They're so horrible in both graphics and gameplay and yet they sell as well or perhaps more than the HD versions.

It's crazy that these new casual Wii owners are quite gullible (because they're such new gamers) that they will allow developers like Sega and Harmonix to screw em at the bum.

Frillen

PhoenixDark said:
Epic is probably slapping themselves for not releasing UT3 on the 360 alongside the PS3 version, if not before. The trend is pretty damn obvious - fps games thrive on the 360, and games in general sell extremely well on the 360.

Tell that to Free Radical.

AniHawk

PhoenixDark said:

I guess you can call it an Epic failure.

borghe said:

Who said they're ignoring it?

Carnival Games expands to DS, back to Wii with Carnival Games: Mini-Golf

They're giving it plenty of love.

TwinIonEngines said:
Goddamn it's looking as if the entire 'HD Generation' selling point was a mistake. I know the enthusiast upmarket values it extremely highly, but it appears that they are vastly outnumbered by consumers who just don't give a shit.

Some of us were saying this in 2005. :lol The comment about "entertainment value" upthread is spot-on: coming in at a dramatically higher price than your competitors has always been a mug's game in the console market because the actual purchase determination always comes down to specific game titles. If Q. Random consumer has two "must-own" games they want, one on Wii with a $250 buy-in and one on PS3 with a $460 buy in, it's not difficult to guess which one they'll pick up.

C4Lukins

borghe said:

I think you will see it getting more attention, but I doubt the A teams at the majority of Western companies and the more elite Japanese third parties are going to suddenly start shifting development to the Wii. Games like Madden, GTA, Call of Duty, MGS and Final Fantasy are going to continue to be focused on the more powerful consoles.

jedimike

borghe said:

Publishers have to consider the "Nintendo" factor. The best selling software is still Nintendo software. On the whole, 3rd parties are better off catering to the 360 and secondly, to the PS3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:

I basically agree. Software sales are good enough on the 360/PS3 that there is no need to cancel big budget games and put them on the Wii.

I do think that Wii will get more A- downgraded versions like what you said and B- more offbeat, experimental but still quality offerings in an attempt to get a portion of that big huge Wii userbase. In short, I don't expect many Wii exclusive Tom Clancy games..but I can see more stuff like De Blob and Boom Blox.

Of course, for Japanese developers I do think Wii will continue to get better support.

HokieJoe

skinnyrattler said:
I don't agree. If the 360 was following it's own path, it should be the leader. PS2 type of leader. It's in it's 3rd year and it's only averaging around 200-300 K per month. That's not leader qualities. So, I would say the Wii is impacting it. Or the market rapidly shrunk from last generation. You can't say Wii is in a different market. MS believed it to a fault but it's not true. The market is expanding but only by the Wii. All other markets are shrinking.

All other markets have been, and still are more expensive. The 360 and PS3's sales won't trend impressively until the price hits ~ $299 or less for the Pro and 40Gig models IMO.

And don't talk about the price difference between the Core and the Wii. Few consider it an honest alternative to the Pro or a PS3. It probably won't register until it hits ~$199 or less.

DCharlie

Banned
If 3rd parties didn't pick up now, they won't be anytime soon.

personally, i wouldn't put any money.

There is a bit of a gap between companies realising "shit we might have underestimated the Wii" to organising projects and getting the products out.

Anduron

700k is great but I still don't see third parties doing anything but party/mini games till a non Nintendo hardcore game performs

Top Bottom