• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
It would seem that those who predicted GTA4 would give PS3 a bigger hardware bump than 360 were spot on.

DiddyBop

good month for the ps3. the tides are finally turning in its favour hardware-wise(in comparison to the 360,the wii is a lost cause)

Toy Soldier said:
I figured Nintendo would pump more Wii Fit into the market than that.

Unless they did and it all didn't sell through.

It has been sold out everywhere I've been. And I think Ellen DeGeneres took most of them

Odysseus

Banned
tak said:
The console numbers are strange when looking at the software numbers. GTAIV on the 360 outsold the PS3 by a large margin, but the PS3 outsold the 360 by a small margin.

you forget 360 userbase exceeds ps3 userbase by a large margin

batbeg

For some reason I was expecting cataclysmal level Wii Fit numbers, so I'm kind of underwhelmed :( Next month should prove to be interesting either in numbers or meltdowns though.

I'm glad to see Mystery Dungeon had a nice launch (figuring in that brief period it was available in April alongside these May numbers), it's an awesome game - more deserving of sales than any other Pokemon spin-off.

rage1973

Microsoft should just give up. They don't even want to compete any more. One $50 price drop in 2.5 years means their 3rd place is well deserved.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wii software and hardware are crazy!

PS3 and 360 sales are pretty sad compared to the Wii, which is also in itself kinda sad.

sphinx

the piano man
numbers are.... low... aren't they?

Wii beating the crap out of the competition and nearly selling double COMBINED sales of PS3 and 360.....in GTA4's month.... historic..

Walshicus

Y2Kev said:
Hey look at that Microsoft, you needed a price drop in April! Tards.
If they're going for market share, I guess. It does seem like the consumer base for current-gen consoles at their present prices is drying up, though. I mean... GTA! Where's the bump?

farnham

Banned
Somnia said:
Good lawd....Nintendo domination. 5 WII titles and 2 DS titles...good god.
slowly but surely nintendo is constituting a japan like situation in NA

oh yeah and Wii is now on par with 360 LTD right..?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
More observations- Wii takes 5/10 of the top spots..impressive

Impressive hold for MK Wii

Underwhelming for GT4 PS3.

Why Microsoft hasn't delivered a price drop is just mindboggling- if someone had said 6 months ago that the month after GTA4 360 hardware wouldn't even reach 200K they would have been laughed at.

Wii down, PS3 up. THE TIDE IS TURNING!

Surprised that GTA is still so high (Yeah yeah 5 April NPD days and all that jazz) MK Wii was expected, Wii Fit heavily supply constrained (And probably will be for the next year at least!)

Overall, a pretty dull NPD. The only thing of note really is how much the 360 version of GTA4 outsold the PS3 one, despite the fact that PS3 H/W>360 H/W

Oh and GH3 Wii is a freaking zombie!

jjgames

Man WiiFit sure was supply constrained. I thought it would sell more than that. Interesting to see what it does when Nintendo starts shipping more.

GTA IV for 360 might be at the top of the chart 3 months in a row.

nli10

sonycowboy said:
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2008 2 787.4K
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAY 2008 3 687.7K

Gaming wins :D

As people have said though, I guess we in Europe did get decent Wii Fit allocation after-all (UK sold 300k so far I think).

perfectchaos007 said:
It has been sold out everywhere I've been. And I think Ellen DeGeneres took most of them

Same here. I've only seen Wii Fit at retail once, and that was on a Sunday morning immediately after that Wal-Mart put their new shipment out. I went back that night and they appeared to be sold out.

Didn't Reggie say they'd have a million for the NA launch, or am I making that up?

Btw, Wii Fit and Mario Kart, along with the Wii console is sold out everywhere.

Get used to a Wii dominated top ten from now on with Fit, Kart and Play leading the way.

harSon

Banned
DiddyBop said:
good month for the ps3. the tides are finally turning in its favour hardware-wise(in comparison to the 360,the wii is a lost cause)

Lets not get ahead of ourselves :p

TwinsDad

I also thought Wii Fit would be more then that. Also thought MS would see more of a boost to 360 sales. Was this month less weeks then last, hence still a "bump"?

Edit: reading the estimates thread, it the same number of weeks, and almost dead on for the console sales. No bump it seems. for the 360 anyways.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LTDs:
PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
X360 - 10,270,000

Wii Play - 5,760,000
Brawl - 3,190,000
Guitar Hero 3 Wii - 2,200,000
Mario Kart - 1,907,000
GTA4 360 - 2,721,000
GTA4 PS3 - 1,442,000

PS3 will outsell the 360 in 21 years.

AlexMogil

Man I really expected better numbers for PS3 and 360. And I guess the 2:1 for GTA was mostly true. This whole year is going to be remembered as "Wait until ______."

Top Bottom