• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

Leezard

ag-my001 said:
Hopefully this won't get lost in the early reactions:

How many days was WiiFit on the market for this NPD period?

In this case, the amount of days doesn't matter. The supply does.

Elios83

Nothing suprising really, PS3 and 360 quite close (PS3 should be leading in total 2008 sales by what.. 50k?)
Wii far outselling the competition combined.

I can go back playing Metal Gear Solid 4, June numbers will be more interesting.

watership

rage1973 said:
Microsoft should just give up. They don't even want to compete any more. One $50 price drop in 2.5 years means their 3rd place is well deserved.

3rd place... for May?

ABANDON SHIP! CANCEL EVERYTHING!

Dang, go PS3, up on the 360 3-2 (months) for the year. 360 lacking software in teh spring much? Only one game....Iron man in the top 10 = ugh. I expected Wii Fit to break a Milllion, but even if numbers are low it will sell well all year long.

Man another Nintendo greater than all month for both software and hardware.....HD gaming am cry.

Sule

Fuck you Nintendo. Where's my ONE MILLION Wii Fits?! Where?! There certainly not in Europe and Japan! Conservative pieces of shit. You get the opportunity to crush these bitches and skullfuck them while you're at it but darthvadernooooo.jpg. Fuck you and have a nice day.

Stumpokapow said:
LTDs:
PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
X360 - 10,270,000

Wii Play - 5,760,000
Brawl - 3,190,000
Guitar Hero 3 Wii - 2,200,000
Mario Kart - 1,907,000
GTA4 360 - 2,721,000
GTA4 PS3 - 1,442,000

So the Wii is basically the leader in the States by now, right?

dwin45

jjgames said:
Man WiiFit sure was supply constrained. I thought it would sell more than that. Interesting to see what it does when Nintendo starts shipping more.

GTA IV for 360 might be at the top of the chart 3 months in a row.
MGS4 and WiiFit say otherwise.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
rage1973 said:
Microsoft should just give up. They don't even want to compete any more. One $50 price drop in 2.5 years means their 3rd place is well deserved.
:lol

Ok, let's not get carried away here. PS3 and 360 are a mere 20k apart. Unless you're talking about the fight with Wii in which case it's not a matter of wanting to compete but being able to compete. Which they aren't.

McHuj

With neither xbox nor ps3 performing well, I hope we get some good news (price drops) at E3 next months that will stimilate sales.

I wonder if the slight increase in ps3 sales is due to MSG4 anticipation. probably.

dude

dude
Beating isn't a strong enough word... The Wii is more than all of the competition added together.
And we're starting to see Nintendo invade the software sales as well, it was inevitable.

Wow, very nice numbers for GTA IV, I swore it wouldn't go over a million, even with just the few days in last month's reporting period. Also a very nice sustain for Mario Kart, both way above the normal dropoff.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
Underwhelming for GT4 PS3.

Really! I think it's quite impressive. The 360 LTD/userbase ratio is skewing my view here compared to the PS3. But I know those figures are often misleading.

Gaborn

Wow, 3 pages THIS fast? Amazing numbers, I thought Wii might drop off a bit, can't say I'm surprised. PS3 > 360 will be the thing people will try to focus on though.

Do we have the numbers for May 2007 handy to compare? And is this the biggest margin the PSTriple has outsold the 360 in the U.S. so far?
It begins?

Captain Smoker said:
360: 10.274.556
Wii: 10.186.259
PS3: 4.446.177

"This year will be the largest in the history of the videogame industry, with Xbox 360 leading the charge in the U.S. and abroad," said Don Mattrick, senior Vice President of the Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. "History has shown us that the first company to reach ten million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry."

Dare I say that this generation will be different?

Odysseus

Banned
npd said:
"Nintendo's Wii and NDS have captured the top two spots in terms of hardware sales for the fourth consecutive month."

"The continued success of GTA IV is not translating into big hardware sales for either the PS3 or the 360 but there may yet to be a lift in June due to gift-giving for Father's Day and Graduations."

keep moving those goal posts

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
LTDs:
PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
X360 - 10,270,000

If the PS3 only outsells the 360 in N.A. by around 20,000 a month, they still have a hell of a long way to go, like 2 years :lol

JavyOO7

Mario Kart and Brawl should keep selling at a brisk pace for a while. I'm more happy for Mario Kart though since Nintendo developed a damn good Mario Kart that I still play daily and is my GOTY 2008.

I think MK could reach 5M in the states by the end of the year. Brawl should be even higher. And Wii Fit has scary scary potential.

d+pad

Man, you know things are crazy when are some are shocked (in a bad way) at 680k in hardware sales...

Great to see MKWii have a second great month. It deserves it.

No worries about Wii Fit. Nintendo has to know this is their Wii Sports 2 - as in, it will continue attracting people for some time. North Americans will snap up whatever they can find for the rest of the year, definitely.

Other than that, though, pretty underwhelming month.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
What a shocker, I expected the XBOX 360 to whip the PS3 this month.

Of course, compared to the Wii both of them are pretty tame.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
Really! I think it's quite impressive. The 360 LTD/userbase ratio is skewing my view here compared to the PS3. But I know those figures are often misleading.

I guess just from what people expected/thought might happen. In other words, I never expected MK Wii to outsell GTA4 PS3 by 500K.

farnham

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The PS3 LTD will pass the 360 LTD at the current rate in approximately 21 years.
will not happen...

the PS3 is the equivalent of the GC and the 360 is the equivalent of the.. Xbox...

the GC was stronger in Japan but weaker in NA... overall the Xbox overtook the GC..

looking at the current situation GC looks much stronger then the PS3 really while the 360 looks immensely stronger then the Xbox

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Nothing really to surprising here other than the PS3 sales increase. Lets see if it holds up through June.
Tidbit for you. My little town had a PS3 sale when I was picking up my MGS4 LE. This is the first time I have eye witnessed such a thing. The bundles are selling. The game is a system seller here.

Top Bottom