• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB '08: The Show(PS3,PSP,PS2) Thread

Zep

Banned
2prtf9l.jpg

http://www.us.playstation.com/mlb08/
Release Date: March 4th

Features:

* Road to The Show 2.0 - To deliver the closest experience possible, next to actually trying to make it in the Majors, MLB 08 THE SHOW introduces a more immersive Road to The Show mode. As gamers attempt to make a starting line-up in the Big Leagues, playing on both offense and defense from a custom-created player's perspective, a more robust dynamic goal system and a new career advancement system will determine when a player is eligible for a promotion. Now, advancement goals related to the player's attribute target level will be provided to get the player to that next level and those goals are based on the player's attribute level and statistical performance. Also, Road to The Show 2.0 adds a new statistics screen that will display a player's current seasons' statistics. Additionally, custom-created players are more interactive. As a position player, gamers will be able to further adjust that players positioning, catchers will occur more defense situations, and pitcher's will now experience mound visits with user interaction - all makingRoad to The Show mode even more realistic.

* Progressive Batting Performance - Progressive Batting Performance is a feature designed to both reward players for superior performance and penalizes them for hitting slumps. Specific to each individual batter, the players will be rewarded with slight contact bonuses for each batter that performs beyond his "natural ability" while under user control. Conversely, the user will be punished with slight decreases in contact for each batter that performs below his "natural ability".

* Replay Vault - With the new Replay Vault, gamers can now go back to that spectacular diving, behind the back double play from the first inning and show their friends. Replays are available from any part of the game from any inning within that game.

* Post Game/In Game Pitcher and Batter Analysis - Stats and match-up analysis' are a baseball fan's dream! The Pitch Analysis is a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played. Gamers will be able sort by pitcher, LHB or RHB, Pitch type and result. This feature is also available for Batters, and the batter analysis allows for a breakdown of how a batter has performed based on LHP or RHP, Pitch Type and the result.

* Pitch Grips - Adding ore authenticity, MLB 08 THE SHOW details the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. Showing these details in Replay Mode will further enhance the look of the game. 18 different pitch types total! (Four-Seam Fastball, Two-Seam Fastball, Cut Fastball, Split-Fingered Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Sinker, Slurve, Change-Up, Circle Change, Knuckleball, Palmball, Forkball, Knuckle-Curve, Screwball, 10-4 Curve, 12-6 Curve & Gyro).

* Crowd Interaction - With the power of the PS3, the MLB franchise is set introduce subtle elements of baseball that, quite simply, couldn't be done on another platform. A big part of baseball is in the ambiance of the game - having realistic stadiums is mandatory, but the crowd also plays a big part in the overall atmosphere. Gamers will see a vast array of new ambient elements including: fans coming, going and reaching for foul balls, vendors, 7th inning stretch, the wave, standing ovations, dynamic crown actions like hanging K's, and much, much more. These new subtleties make MLB 08 THE SHOW truly feel like a day at the ballpark.

* MLB My Music - Ever wanted to make your own video game soundtrack? With MLB 08 THE SHOW for the PS3 and PSP® gamers will be able to take the music that they have stored on their PS3 HDD and add to the list of music played in the Juke Box.

* SCOUT [SportsConnect Online User Tracking] - If you've ever had a difficult time finding an opponent that wants to play online with the same gameplay setting as you, this is your feature. SCOUT allows gamers to set their game preferences, stores them on the server, and then allows the system to look for a Quick Match with an opponent that fits their criteria.

* In-Game MLB Live Scores - Using our new top of the screen Score Bar display, gamers will get updates on what is going on in the Majors. Along with scores and inning, gamers will also see notables, such as HR's, complete games, etc.

* Online League Play - MLB 08 THE SHOW provides today's sports fanatics with the ability to set up leagues with anywhere from 6-30 teams with full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Gamers can customize the league including choosing players, teams, length of schedule and much more. (Note: There are no cross platform leagues available.)

* Online News Service / MLB.com Headline News - Sports fanatics can receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. Users can select general MLB® headlines or updates from all 30 teams instantly. New for 07, MLB 08 THE SHOW offers an enhanced Live MLB Ticker, which shows live status of all MLB games going on around the league - with updates several times a minute. This new view will be complete with who is on base, pitching, batting, on-deck and full inning-by-inning box scores.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Systems

2agvxaf.jpg
xf7xaa.jpg
2istlvq.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commercial, Trailer(s)

Commercial - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31388.html

Replay Vault Trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30521.html

My Music Trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31368.html

Road To The Show - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31391.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reviews and GAF Impressions

IGN- http://ps3.ign.com/articles/856/856121p1.html

Shawnwhann said:
Just got through playing two online games. Besides the fact the guys I was playing were total scrubs, this game is pure sex online right now. There are so many options to play with online from creating a quick game profile, putting in contact information, view message boards, do polls, download game sliders etc. The options seem very solid! There was absolutely zero lag and the game is buttery smooth 95% of the time. Some minor frame rate hiccups happen when the game switches to the fielding view after batting.

Some other misc tidbits... the game does a 2GB install that takes about 5 mintues. The custom sountracks work great and I have a playlist of about 40 tracks from my hard drive as my default. Vibration works great in game and in lobby to indicate when you've got a challenge.

Havent even played around with the single player stuff yet... this is going to be a serious time sucker!! Get it gents!
Shawnwhann said:
BTW...did I forget to mention how cool custom soundtracks seemlessly play throughout the time you are menus?!? No more EA Trax style bullshit :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Facts

-Demo is out on PSN
-DS3 Compatible
-If you know where to look, you can have the game early ;)
-Ryan Howard is the best 1B in baseball
-Follow the GAF league! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246997
Post all your questions and thoughts about the game here.
:D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Thank you!

Gawd I want this game so bad. My PS3 is in heat for it. =( Oh well, back to practicing on the demo.

Defcon

Banned
Where can I look to get it early? I was hoping the custom soundtracks would play over the speakers at the park, not just in the menus. Oh well.

Zep

Banned
Defcon said:
Georgia. About 50 miles NE of Atlanta.

NW Atlanta, Kennesaw, Acworth

Walmart on Cobb Pkwy, HWY 41 in Kennesaw had 4 copies for PS3 left when I left the store. It's not in the rack with the games but under the bottom shelf sitting on top of a PS3 console box (I think its the display box).

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #3471
3105 N Cobb Parkway
Kennesaw, GA 30152
(770) 974-9291

got this from OS...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This thread should be renamed "MLB 08: The Shizzile Thread". Or "MLB 08: Da Shit Thread'

'Da Shit' as in awesome!

aparisi2274

To any Staten Island Gaffers out there...

I just picked up MLB 08 PS3 at Game Champ (S-Game) 718-605-9500 located in the Greenridge shopping plaza on Arthur Kill Rd & Richmond Ave. He had the game for all the Sony systems...

oatmeal

Banned
Turns out there are a number of bugs in this game that are killing it for some of the posters over on OS.

Hitting a walk off homerun you don't get the HR and you only get as many runs as it takes to win. So if it's tied and you hit a grand slam, you'll only win by 1 run.

Also, there are times when both pitchers get the win as well.

Hope these get fixed :(

Defcon

Banned
oatmeal said:
Turns out there are a number of bugs in this game that are killing it for some of the posters over on OS.

Hitting a walk off homerun you don't get the HR and you only get as many runs as it takes to win. So if it's tied and you hit a grand slam, you'll only win by 1 run.

Htf did those bugs make it through QA?

Core407

Banned
oatmeal said:

Isn't that how walk off homeruns work?

Core407

Banned
Defcon said:

Well I'll be damned...

Those issues will hopefully be addressed ASAP. On another note, how is the AI? No more bone head plays that make you realize you're still playing a videogame?

Big-E

Shit those bugs would piss the shit out of me. Hopefully a patch comes in to fix it because that is inexcusable.

aparisi2274

Defcon said:

ummm yeah thats how they work... I remember when Robin Ventura was on the Mets and it was bases loaded, and he hit a Grand Single.... He basically hit a grand slam, but since he stopped at first, because the winning run came in from 3rd, he got a Grand Single.

LJ11

Core407 said:
Isn't that how walk off homeruns work?

Depends, several players get mugged on walk-off grand slams and never make it past 1st, so they only count the one run.

kbear

LJ11 said:
Depends, several players get mugged on walk-off grand slams and never make it past 1st, so they only count the one run.
The only time I've seen that happen was when Robin Ventura hit that walk off slam for the Mets in a playoff game.

Defcon

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
ummm yeah thats how they work... I remember when Robin Ventura was on the Mets and it was bases loaded, and he hit a Grand Single.... He basically hit a grand slam, but since he stopped at first, because the winning run came in from 3rd, he got a Grand Single.

Yeah, but that hardly ever happens. 99.9% of the time, the guy that hit the walk-off HR crosses home plate.

Dez

aparisi2274 said:

That was probably one of the few times it has happened. Most hitters do step on all four bases, and get mobbed at the plate.

LJ11

kbear said:
The only time I've seen that happen was when Robin Ventura hit that walk off slam for the Mets in a playoff game.

Yeah, it's rare. I shouldn't have used the word several. Nomar recently hit a walk-off slam but strutted the basis. Hopefully the box-score issues don't carry over to The Show, that would be a killer.

aparisi2274

Does anyone know if there are any updated Rosters up yet??? I am starting a season with the Mets, and Johan Santana is not on the team...

LJ11

aparisi2274 said:
Does anyone know if there are any updated Rosters up yet??? I am starting a season with the Mets, and Johan Santana is not on the team...

Yeah, they're up. Rosters update once a week.

SickBoy

I'm not all that interested in this game (I can get an older version on PSP for a few bucks now), but I just wanted to chime in to say that I think the "progressive batting performance" is one of those ideas that seems like a good idea to developers, but doesn't make a good sports game.

I guess as long as the effect is "slight," it's not a big deal, but a lot of games have progressed player stats based on user input, and I think that generally just serves to break a game.

Kintaro

Core407 said:
Well I'll be damned...

Those issues will hopefully be addressed ASAP. On another note, how is the AI? No more bone head plays that make you realize you're still playing a videogame?

No matter how good the game is, you will always realize that you're playing a videogame. WTF is this?

Anyways, the walk off home run thing will no doubt get patched. The game isn't even officially out yet. They could have a patch ready for launch for stuff they caught and fixed. If you notice bugs, fire off emails to Sony to bring it to their attention.

aparisi2274

LJ11 said:
Yeah, they're up. Rosters update once a week.

Ok qq... I went online and it asked if I wanted to DL the newest Roster update... so I said yes, and then it asks me to create a new save file for it. So I name it Roster and it saves. Then I disconnect from the online and go back to my offline game, but when I go and pick LOAD and then try to load Rosters its shaded out, and I cant pick it... So how do I know if I was able to update my roster?? I ask because I still dont see Johan Santana on the Mets... So I cant tell if the Rosters are getting updated or not....

Kintaro

I searched around my town and no luck on an early leak. Dammit. So, I've been playing the demo all day. I just hit a walk off HR with Manny. Felt soooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Even has the Manny Strut.

Getting much better at playing without guess pitch (I like it, so sue me) now so I'm training for some online fun with GAFfers.

By the way, to those who have it, can both players pick their own camera angles? For example, can I pitch with the "Pitcher" camera angle while the batter hits with the usual batter camera angle on their side?

Torgo

I've been playing my review copy for at least 15 hours now. This game is phenomenal, and is so much tighter and cleaner than '07, which is surprising because my friends and I love '07.

i am having trouble with hitting the ball. not really with getting wood on the ball but here is what i dont understand:

lets say the pitcher is throwing a fastball low and i have a guy on 3rd base with 1 out. now i want to hit a deep fly ball to score the runner. but if the guy is throwing low, and i push up on the stick and swing, will i still connect with the ball and lift it up? seems if i hold down on the stick i hit a grounder. but if i aim up i totally miss. anyone have some insight on hitting?

Dez

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i am having trouble with hitting the ball. not really with getting wood on the ball but here is what i dont understand:

lets say the pitcher is throwing a fastball low and i have a guy on 3rd base with 1 out. now i want to hit a deep fly ball to score the runner. but if the guy is throwing low, and i push up on the stick and swing, will i still connect with the ball and lift it up? seems if i hold down on the stick i hit a grounder. but if i aim up i totally miss. anyone have some insight on hitting?

If you aim up, you'll totally miss. The batting system is cursor based, so you have to aim the bat toward the ball no matter what. A pitch below the strikezone is very difficult to lift, so you have to train yourself to not swing at low pitches in DP or sac fly situations. One way to help is to use the right analog stick prior to the pitch to "influence" your swing. So press up on the right analog prior to the pitch, that'll tell your batter to try to lift the ball regardless.

Zep

Banned
No thats not the way it works. You have to go with the pitch location, if the pitch is down you hit down+x and how you hit the ball depends on your timing and the pitch. Now they have a feature in the game where you can hit "Up" on the right analog to dictate how you wanna hit the ball(high,low, etc) but again its all depends on your timing.

edit: Dez, thats gonna cost you!

makes sense. i didn't know about that right stick thing. i dont have the game, just the demo.

thanks for your help buddy. now ill win the gaf championship!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
It would be sweet if I owned both the PSP and PS3 version and I could transfer my season over both ways (or can you?) because then I would buy both versions. But PS3 version day 1 for me.

Top Bottom