• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB '08: The Show(PS3,PSP,PS2) Thread

Bookey

Professional Monk
Just came in here wondering if anyone has a list of what the new patch changed seemed to make the online play more stable to me also I just got my hat today lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bookey said:
Just came in here wondering if anyone has a list of what the new patch changed seemed to make the online play more stable to me also I just got my hat today lol

I came in to check on this as well. :lol

LJ11

There's a patch? I played late last night and received no prompt. I'll check OS and see if they have any info.

Edit: No official change log, the devs do post there so maybe they throw us a bone. Some users are reporting tweaked/improved batting stances, a guy posted that HF mode is harder, another saw some weird outfield bug. There's only two dozen posts or so, not enough to really get a feel of what they fixed (or didn't).

HoTHiTTeR

I can't find anything official, but some people (on different boards) are saying batting stances changed for a bunch of players, also "optimized online play".

lionelhutz

I was 0-4 online and after the patch I'm 1-4. Whatever the patch fixed, I like. :D

On a serious note online play seemed really smooth but it could have been the time of day that I played. It was early afternoon and I usually see lag late in the evening or at night.

Halka

Neo Member
They fixed the glitch where all your relievers would show 100% energy in the bullpen, even if they were worn out.

Haven't noticed anything else yet.

lionelhutz

Halka said:
They fixed the glitch where all your relievers would show 100% energy in the bullpen, even if they were worn out.

Haven't noticed anything else yet.

Is this if you let them warm up too long or once they're in the game?

Zep

Banned
Also fixed batting stances...Specifically Howard, Ortiz, Ramirez. Haven't played my system in 2 weeks so I can't look :(

Wish someone could take a few pics :)

I've been practicing on and off for 2 weeks and I still can't bat for shit. I'm playing on Vet and am not using power swing or the pitch guess thingy. I'm beginning to think I just suck.

With the newest roster update I think I’m going to actually start a franchise mode game next week. Go Tigers!

lionelhutz

Harvey Hedonist said:
I've been practicing on and off for 2 weeks and I still can't bat for shit. I'm playing on Vet and am not using power swing or the pitch guess thingy. I'm beginning to think I just suck.

With the newest roster update I think I’m going to actually start a franchise mode game next week. Go Tigers!

Batting is tough. One thing I try to do is watch where the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. Do you always swing at the first pitch? Once you get ahead in the count it should be easier.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Harvey Hedonist said:

The battle between batter and pitcher is so situational. Are they trying to get you in a fielder's choice or a double play. That is just the pitcher and defense. Are you trying to get a bloop single or a sac fly. In AA and AAA, you can sit and wait for a pitch, in the pros, the pitchers have better command, the ball breaks better as well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
swoon said:
it didn't fix the randomly freezing on startup which is annoying.

that only happens when you're trying to play without being signed in... seriously it used to happen to me.

Meier said:
Just got this for PS3... what the fuck are up with the load times?!?!

This is what ruined the road to the show mode for me. You end up watching loading screens far more than hitting/fielding with your created player. It's unfortunate.

bjscott05

Meier said:
I don't know much about PS3s yet.. can I install this to the hard drive to improve the loading speeds?

No. It already does a short install at the beginning if I remember correctly. The loading times aren't a big deal to me, but I only play franchise really.

Double D

This bump has inspired me to get back into my RTTS. At least it should take my mind off of NCAA 09 for a bit. I must have played that goddamn demo over 50 times already.

tyagi

I've been playing quite a bit of MLB08 on PSP and PS3 recently, and strangely, I seem to prefer playing it on PSP.

On PS3, I'm finding the load times very long, and the AI (especially of fielders) to be worse than on the PSP. Also, as others have mentioned in this thread, there are many graphical oddities with the PS3 version, such as players going through/in to barriers, and seemingly freezing in one position while something else happens on pitch.

Still enjoying playing RTTS on both platforms, but I'm hoping MLB09 is improved on PS3, as even though the home console version is very pretty, I think the actual game on PSP is more enjoyable.

I've enjoyed the hell out of the PS3 version, but I don't see myself sitting in front of the TV with so many games coming out/time dedicated to sports that are "in season" (NHL & NBA).

So I'm thinking of trading towards the PSP version.

How's RttS on the PSP?

Meier

Played some more the other day after not touching it for a month or so and I still suck at hitting. I dunno how you get 'good' at it... it seems so difficult to me. :( Oh well, what can ya do.

tyagi

TheMissingLink said:
How's RttS on the PSP?

Pretty much the same as the PS3 version as far a I can tell. Not being from America or Japan, I'm quite uneducated about the finer points of baseball, but I can't see any significant difference in the structure of the RTTS game on either platform.

Like I said, I personally enjoy the PSP version more than the PS3 version. I've ripped my UMD to memory stick in order to speed up loading times, which helps.

Top Bottom