• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB '08: The Show(PS3,PSP,PS2) Thread

BobM

so this is the first baseball game i have gotten into in a long...long time...

really enjoying it so far, but i'm still losing alot of games, and can't seem to hit to save my life.

practice makes perfect i guess...

cilonen

BobM said:

really enjoying it so far, but i'm still losing alot of games, and can't seem to hit to save my life.

I can't hit for shit either, but at least I've stopped swinging at absolutely everything now.

Halka

Neo Member
BobM said:

it's less timing and more knowing what pitches to go after. once you get the hang of laying off pitches low in the zone and breaking balls out of the zone, you'll be golden.

some pitchers are just gonna be tough, no matter what you do. somebody like Cole Hamels has so much movement on his pitches, you'll rarely make solid contact. other guys like Kenny Rogers throw you so much slow junk, you need to stay patient and wait for him to throw something in the zone.

i love how SCEA really captured the different styles of pitching .. facing Greg Maddux is a whole different game than facing Jake Peavy. :D

Halka

Neo Member
oatmeal said:
This video is pretty awesome...and it's just from the DEMO.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gc5eYrqaxu4&feature=related

i saw the funniest sequence the other night. Paul Konerko is looking at something off in the crowd (off-screen), then the first base coach walks up and starts staring too. they mutter something to each other, then the guy on first comes over and starts staring too. they never show you what they're gawking at and talking about ..

it was exactly like that old SNL Steve Martin skit "what the hell is that?" ..

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I was playing RTTS the other day as my pitcher, and i made this guy look awful on a swing and i heard a new audio bit i havent heard yet. One of the guys goes "and he stopped by the post office for some stamps to mail in that swing"
I litereally laughed out loud by myself.

cilonen

The commentary in this is the best I've ever heard in a game. It's so fluid and there's so much of it, It does repeat, but there's enough there and enough natural variety, especially with the huge combination of stats, scores, plays and numbers they'll fluidly tell you about.

Broktune

Banned
Whelp. I bought a ps3 for this game. I couldn't take it any longer. I'M SO GLAD IT WAS WORTH IT!!! I can't get over how much work went into this game. Unbelievable commentary, details etc. A+.

BobM

thanks for the tips guys.

here is what may be a dumb questions:
in the demo i remember a pitch guessing system that included highlighting a section of the pitching zone in red.

Now in the full game i can only guess the pitch but not the location in the pitching zone.

am i missing something?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
What difficulty level are you on? I think Rookie(lowest one) is the one were you only guess the pitch type and anything harder you guess pitch type and location.

BobM

Corran Horn said:
What difficulty level are you on? I think Rookie(lowest one) is the one were you only guess the pitch type and anything harder you guess pitch type and location.

AHA that would be it, thanks!. i have been still playing on rookie because i am still so bad at the game. even on rookie i still lose some games. but i have only had time to play a few so far.

Foil

Just picked this up for the PS3. Best baseball game I've played in a long time, if not ever. One issue I do have is that the fielders often take far too long to throw the ball and get caught in slow moving animations that have cost me a decent amount of runs and bases. Either I'm doing something wrong, or this is something that needs fixing for next year. Other than that I love this game.

Hitting is tough and seems to be varied. My first game with the Jays I blew the Yankees out 14-0, the next game I lost 5-2, now in game three I can't hit for the life of me. :lol

LJ11

Foil said:
Just picked this up for the PS3. Best baseball game I've played in a long time, if not ever. One issue I do have is that the fielders often take far too long to throw the ball and get caught in slow moving animations that have cost me a decent amount of runs and bases. Either I'm doing something wrong, or this is something that needs fixing for next year. Other than that I love this game.

Hitting is tough and seems to be varied. My first game with the Jays I blew the Yankees out 14-0, the next game I lost 5-2, now in game three I can't hit for the life of me. :lol

You need to pre-load the throws, ie when the ball is grounded to your shortstop starting pressing O before the ball gets there. That way when the ball is in his glove he just pulls it out and throws it. Make sure to not throw it to hard all the time because the throw my sail past the 1st baseman.

Big-E

Foil said:

I think it has something to do with the baserunners getting to first too quickly. I have seen situations where the computer will perform the right real life animation for the given situation and they won't be able to get the runner at first.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Really getting discouraged now. I'm 25 games in with some quick games on there and I still can't hit worth shit. I dunno why, but seriously thinking about buying/trading the game. Anybody willing to trade for this :-/.

deadbeef

msdstc said:
Really getting discouraged now. I'm 25 games in with some quick games on there and I still can't hit worth shit. I dunno why, but seriously thinking about buying/trading the game. Anybody willing to trade for this :-/.

What are you looking for??

msdstc said:

Have you lowered pitch speed and up'd hit quality?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
DoctorWho said:
Have you lowered pitch speed and up'd hit quality?

See I didn't wanna do that though, I guess I could, but that just feels like I'm cheatin myself you know? Will I eventually catch on? I mean what's the learning curve like basically?

LJ11

msdtc, lay off the left analog stick when swinging. Just try timing up the pitch and then just press X, lay off the stick. When you get better at hitting with just the X button, then use the left analog in conjunction with the X button. Try to be more selective at the plate as well. What team are you using?

captive

So can anyone tell me what the PCLT stat is for pitchers in Road to the Show. The manual is surprisingly unhelpfull. And the only description in the training menu is "pitch a simulated game or work on your mechanics with the pitching coach" i forget which.

My guess is pitching control, or plate control or something, i got nothing.

captive said:
So can anyone tell me what the PCLT stat is for pitchers in Road to the Show. The manual is surprisingly unhelpfull. And the only description in the training menu is "pitch a simulated game or work on your mechanics with the pitching coach" i forget which.

Pitching Clutch. Basically how well you do under pressure. This is a key stat for relievers and closers, and to a much lesser extent starters.

LJ11

captive said:

I think it's Pitching Clutch.

Edit: Beaten

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
LJ11 said:
msdtc, lay off the left analog stick when swinging. Just try timing up the pitch and then just press X, lay off the stick. When you get better at hitting with just the X button, then use the left analog in conjunction with the X button. Try to be more selective at the plate as well. What team are you using?

awww damn... see I was told to use the left analog first then work my way into timing, I guess I'll try this way. I'm using the red sox of course... I'm from the Boston area.:D

kbear

So I'm in my 72nd game in AA... how many games did it take for you all to get promoted to AAA, and then the majors? I'm batting like .310, 7 homers, 40 rbi, 20 stolen bases... all of my letter grades are still terrible, though.

senahorse

I still can't get past this License Agreement screen, I can play offline but cannot get online at all. Is Sony looking into this?

kbear said:
So I'm in my 72nd game in AA... how many games did it take for you all to get promoted to AAA, and then the majors? I'm batting like .310, 7 homers, 40 rbi, 20 stolen bases... all of my letter grades are still terrible, though.

Took my starting pitcher an entire season. Started off as a reliever and about halfway got promoted to starter. I had signed a 1-year deal coming off spring training, so when that expired they offered me a 2-year deal as a starter on their AAA rotation.

Big-E

kbear said:

It only took me 3 months but I am playing a pitcher.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
kbear said:

I purposely didn't do my goals to build my attributes.

Nightz

Anyone else having trouble pitching against the opposing team's pitchers in RttS? It seems like I can get through the first 8 hitters no problem, but then pitchers bat 1.000 against me (a bit of an exaggeration there :p). It's odd...they don't chase anything outside the zone, but anything remotely close to it goes for a base hit. It's not a big deal since I usually win the game, but it's just weird seeing the pitcher with more hits than anyone else on their team in the final box score.

Anyways, I'm on my second season now. I ended up making it to the majors near the end of the first season. Went 0-2, then caught fire and won the next two games. I pitched the last game of the regular season, had 8 shutout innings and a 2-0 lead, and the stupid manager decides to pull me. Needless to say, my closer blows the save and the game went to extra innings. So I had a little "talk" with my manager after that and he says "Yeah I should have left you in there a little longer. I'll do that next time." Well great, except for the fact that I didn't get to play in the playoffs and now I'm the #5 starter in AAA again. -_-

Sorry, just had to vent a little bit. Season 2 will be my year! :D

Foil

x3n05 said:
I still can't get past this License Agreement screen, I can play offline but cannot get online at all. Is Sony looking into this?

Yeah I just tried to play the game while being connected to PSN, it wouldn't load past the license agreement screen at all. Didn't freeze or anything since the music was still playing and could be changed. Only worked once I rebooted the game and unplugged the internet cord.

kbear said:

I cant remember how many games I am into it. Im playing on Rookie because I really sucked at first. Im batting .380 with 17 homers, 152 hits, 85 RBI, 81 SB in close to 400 at bats. And I made the AA all star team. I still havent been called up to AAA. Im about to just quit and start over on a higher difficulty.

kbear

yellowjacket said:
I cant remember how many games I am into it. Im playing on Rookie because I really sucked at first. Im batting .380 with 17 homers, 152 hits, 85 RBI, 81 SB in close to 400 at bats. And I made the AA all star team. I still havent been called up to AAA. Im about to just quit and start over on a higher difficulty.
You can change the difficulty in the menu. I originally started on Hall of Fame but dropped down to Veteran..

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow. People wonder why Sony Sports won't support 1up.com anymore. Well, this is why. Another piss poor review of MLB 08: The Show.

Lets hit the hightlights eh?

As the season really gets going, the inconsistencies increasingly stand out. Sliding into a base kicks up a convincing cloud of dust, but it comes from a brown basepath that doesn't really look like dirt. Wrigley Field's ivy-covered walls look fine when seen from afar, but as the outfielder approaches, all that foliage looks more like bad wallpaper.

:lol We start off picking some small ass nits.

And you can expect those bad ones to happen all too often. In principle, the old golf-meter arc (where you set your windup and then try to hit a mark for perfect release) should work well enough. But it's unnecessarily small, compressing the movement of the meter, and even for ace pitchers it moves so fast you're just stabbing at the buttons rather than getting in rhythm with the motion.

Are you fucking kidding me?

And as much as the game likes to throw in the little touches (like a broken bat and a vocally supportive home crowd), lackluster commentary detracts from the whole experience. Sony brought in a professional sportscaster team anchored by San Diego Padres play-by-play announcer Matt Vasgersian, but they sound almost bored and isolated in their parts, as if they were recorded in separate studios.

Are you fucking kidding me? Does Garnett not realize the meter replicates the pitchers motion?

To make matters worse, even nailing the perfect release doesn't guarantee results. This is where that pitch meter comes back into play. A pitcher who's lost it on a given pitch won't put that pitch where you want it no matter how well you groove the meter. And heaven forbid you don't hit the release just right. Even when you let go inside the part of the meter that looks like a hot zone, pitches quickly start to look just plain ugly. While your pitcher is doing well, the system succeeds at giving you a sensation of accurate location and control.

Oh wait, you mean like actual baseball? Pitcher is doing well and...they do well. If you suck and they suck...they suck?! Unthinkable.

But when it starts to unravel, it falls apart completely. Give up a run and your confidence takes such a hit that every pitch suffers. Make one mistake with the touchy meter and a pitch can be rendered nearly unthrowable. And because each bad pitch makes it harder to throw a decent one on the next pitch, there's almost no way to work your way out of trouble (one of the most rewarding feelings you can get in baseball, by the way).

So, when things start to suck for your pitcher, he loses confidence? Unfathomable! Bullshit on not being able to work your way out of it too. You can and it's fucking satisfying to do so. Unless you suck.

For this season, consider it the way you would a September game with your team already eliminated from the chase: If you're the type that wants to check out the young prospects called up, you'll probably be right at home. If you've already been watching preseason football for a few weeks and are enjoying the first NFL games, it might not be your ticket.

Fucking amazing. By the way, this marks the second straight year where the shit turd known as MLB 2k has scored higher than The Show. Yeah yeah, two different reviewers and both of them are wrong. Just wow. Is The Show 08 perfect? No. Is it ANYTHING Garnett wrote in his review? Fuck no.

mosaic

go eat paint
Just a note to those folks playing Road to the Show and lamenting how looooong it takes to make the bigs... yeah, that's how the minor leagues work. Well, OK, the game should be yanking you up through the ranks quick if you consistently hit .350/30+hr at any level, but most players spend a full season at each level. If you feel like you're languishing in AA/AAA, then they nailed it. *grin* Be glad they didn't put in rookie, low-A, and A.

Lord, I thought Felix Pie and Carlos Marmol would never make the bigs... I watched them play low-A ball back in 2003!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
mosaic said:
Just a note to those folks playing Road to the Show and lamenting how looooong it takes to make the bigs... yeah, that's how the minor leagues work. Well, OK, the game should be yanking you up through the ranks quick if you consistently hit .350/30+hr at any level, but most players spend a full season at each level. If you feel like you're languishing in AA/AAA, then they nailed it. *grin* Be glad they didn't put in rookie, low-A, and A.

Lord, I thought Felix Pie and Carlos Marmol would never make the bigs... I watched them play low-A ball back in 2003!

Bingo. It seems long since you, as the player, get in the mind set of "it's a game, they should put in the majors quick and let me play" but it just doesn't work that way. It's still a sim for the most part and plays out like one. Even the parts where they call you up, don't play you, and send you back down (they only needed you to potentially cover a spot in the first place).

Zep

Banned
Someone with the game thats online wanna do me a favor?(and not in our online league) Hit me up on AIM @ Jackme007
Thanks

If anyone is interested. I have MLB 08 The Show [PS3] to trade for another PS3 game.

I am into baseball and willing to trade it for any of these: The Orange Box/Uncharted/UT3/or Resistance.[PS3]

The game is completly new, no scratches, played for 3 minutes then put it back into the case.

Mrbob

There is a buy/sell/trade thread. You already posted it there. Don't spam this thread.

Garnett disappoints me. Of course I've learned a long time ago you don't go to the big websites for reliable sports game reviews.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
WOW... now I'm not one to call bias, but GOD DAMN at 1ups review. Get the fuck outta here, the ps3 hate is OVER. This shit is basically libel whoever wrote that is extremely unproffesional.

captive

Nightz said:
Anyone else having trouble pitching against the opposing team's pitchers in RttS? It seems like I can get through the first 8 hitters no problem, but then pitchers bat 1.000 against me (a bit of an exaggeration there :p). It's odd...they don't chase anything outside the zone, but anything remotely close to it goes for a base hit. It's not a big deal since I usually win the game, but it's just weird seeing the pitcher with more hits than anyone else on their team in the final box score.
Yea... i noticed this as well just total wtf moments when the opposing pitcher is lacing balls for hits.

:lol :lol :lol oh garnett. There are no words. Actually there are, of all the things to nitpick, really?
The commentary is bad is this a joke? I just got done playing online and heard another new bit about a swing i havent heard before in addition to the mailing in the swing i posted earlier in the thread.

oatmeal

Banned
Well, my domination of the MLB as a 20 year old rookie pitcher has came to an ABRUPT halt.

I had three starts in a row, none lasted four innings. I will say this: In 2010, the Tigers are the most insane team ever put on a field. Gary fucking Sheffield is STILL playing, and he hits 9th. That's how good their line up is.

Insane...

Anyways, I was pulled at 1.1 IP with 13 HITS!!! and NINE FUCKING RUNS!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Every time I'd get ahead they'd hit one in either the 2B/1B hole or between the 3B and SS.

God it was infuriating.

After my 3 game streak where my ERA rose from 1.97 to almost 4, I threw 7.1 of shutout ball. But still...Goddamnit!

BTW, I wish pitchers could win rookie of the year...kind of stupid they can't.

Top Bottom