• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB '08: The Show(PS3,PSP,PS2) Thread

Big-E said:
I can honestly see why Sony decided to pull the Show from 1up. Its really embarrassing.
I'm slow and I don't understand shit, so can you explain to me why and provide any back story necessary to fill in the gaps?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
templeusox said:
I'm slow and I don't understand shit, so can you explain to me why and provide any back story necessary to fill in the gaps?

Can check out their piss poor review of PS3 version of MLB 07: The Show for any back story you need really. At least 1up is consistent when reviewing the series.

Kintaro said:
Can check out their piss poor review of PS3 version of MLB 07: The Show for any back story you need really. At least 1up is consistent when reviewing the series.
So they didn't like the game. Even if they are being unfair about it, Sony should maintain the high ground and not pull games from them. Come on, now. We aren't 7th graders here. It's pretty obvious the consumers have voted with their feet and chosen MLB 08 as the game of choice. Sony should allow 1Up to make a fool of themselves on their own. Trying to go tit for tat with them makes Sony seem petty. At least in my eyes.

captive said:
The commentary is bad is this a joke? I just got done playing online and heard another new bit about a swing i havent heard before in addition to the mailing in the swing i posted earlier in the thread.
Clearly written by someone who maybe put in one hour in a game. I've heard the following for commentary:

Batting poorly for the series*
Batting poorly against lefties
Team batting poorly with players in RISP
Going 0-4 the night before
Going 5 for 5 the night before
Needing a hit for a 10-game hitting streak

* - new this year

How is this poor commentary? If anything, it's relevant information. Unless Garnett was so mad that Soup was berating him for swing at mile high fastballs :lol

I don't know if I can really say they have the Sony Sports bias, it's a bit silly to think it. But if you don't do a proper review, you should get slammed for it.

Kittonwy

Banned
templeusox said:
So they didn't like the game. Even if they are being unfair about it, Sony should maintain the high ground and not pull games from them. Come on, now. We aren't 7th graders here. It's pretty obvious the consumers have voted with their feet and chosen MLB 08 as the game of choice. Sony should allow 1Up to make a fool of themselves on their own. Trying to go tit for tat with them makes Sony seem petty. At least in my eyes.

Basically you're saying Sony can't do anything in response to a bad review from 1UP, and you're probably right, even though the team did a great job making an awesome game, there's nothing they can do, what a shame.

Kintaro

templeusox said:

There's a difference between not liking a game, and just flat out passing along bogus, inaccurate and ignorant information in a review. Sony is allowing 1up to make fools of themselves, but they're not letting them do it on their dime. That's not petty, that's just common sense. Why would you keep giving anybody free stuff if they can't get their heads out of their ass?

I don't believe 1up has some Sony sports bias or whatever. I just believe they fucking suck at reviewing their baseball games. The proof is plain to see. If it was reviewed properly by someone who knows the genre, can see what is going on with the game, what it's accomplishing and they still had problems with it, that's cool. This? This is just poor.

I expected more from the Senior Editor in charge of reviews (Garnett, you're a cool dude. This one was just way, way, wayyyyyy off the target.)

The free agent market seems to die off after skipping a few seasons in Franchise mode. After 5 years I was the only guy doing any FA signings. Prince Fielder at age 27 coming off a season where he hit 40 long ones, should not go unsigned.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The complaints about the commentary are absolutely ridiculous.

This game (along with NHL 08) has the best commentary I've ever heard.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Plinko said:
The complaints about the commentary are absolutely ridiculous.

This game (along with NHL 08) has the best commentary I've ever heard.
Yeah. I will go as far to say that this is THE best commentary. For example, I was playing online against the Red Sox with Josh Beckett on the mound. I had Detroit. When Cabrera was up to bat, Beckett buzzed him and Dave Campbell said something like, "There was a 'hello' for his old teammate." It was seamless.

Kintaro said:
Why would you keep giving anybody free stuff if they can't get their heads out of their ass?
Because...
Kintaro said:
I just believe they fucking suck at reviewing their baseball games.
If I knew what 1Up was, and I read the review, I'm sure I would agree with you that they "fucking suck" at reviewing baseball games.

I truly believe that malice or not, Sony should be providing them with games, if they are providing 1Up's equals with games. Let the chips fall where they may. Some reviewers will irrationally like your game, some will irrationally hate it. It's the nature of a subjective review.

Halka

Neo Member
Big-E said:
I can honestly see why Sony decided to pull the Show from 1up. Its really embarrassing.

1UP's reviews are the most erratic I've ever seen. They'll nail games like Assassin's Creed with an honest mixed review, then run complete nonsense on other games.

But yeah .. their reviews of both MLB 07 and MLB 08 are ridiculously bad and misinformed.

Coop

1up are idiots, this is one of the best games to come out in years. I'm serious

Btw, finally got into the majors and I'm getting my ass kicked.

OatmealMu

Christ, where's the menu option to ask to be taken out of the game? I just got off an injury, my player's energy is zapped, and he's at 116 pitches and counting.

My coach is a dick. :(

EDIT: Hey, a beachball was just knocked onto the field before one of the players bounced it back into the crowd. That said... C'MON COACH!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
WasabiKing said:
Clearly written by someone who maybe put in one hour in a game. I've heard the following for commentary:

Batting poorly for the series*
Batting poorly against lefties
Team batting poorly with players in RISP
Going 0-4 the night before
Going 5 for 5 the night before
Needing a hit for a 10-game hitting streak

* - new this year

How is this poor commentary? If anything, it's relevant information. Unless Garnett was so mad that Soup was berating him for swing at mile high fastballs :lol

I don't know if I can really say they have the Sony Sports bias, it's a bit silly to think it. But if you don't do a proper review, you should get slammed for it.
I remember what the audio bit was, i was playing my friend from Austin and i wasnt having hardly any lag(he said he did though) anyway he through a fastball and i *technically* had it timed perfectly, but a slight lag spike caused me to swing almost a full second before the ball got to the plate and the guy(cant remember his name), the one that says "that swing is tired like that tie your wearing vasgursian(sorry sp?), says and i quote: "oh my that swing was the suckiest swing i have every seen, *pause* can i say sucky?"
I lol'ed.

AkuMifune

Banned
Garnett is way off, but you can't really blame him, he has no one else to steer him in the right direction at 1up AT ALL, which is a shame. Todd Zuniga (The Sports Game Guy) hasn't even played it yet, Bryan Intihar just left, and the annoying replacement 1up's on 1up Yours last week (the horrible 'we're too cool for our own pretentious skin' Sharkey and Milky) were making YAWN noises when he tried to discuss it. Seriously, yawn noises after an hour of Starcraft 2 talk? Seriously?

Sylar

Banned
I don't think any publication should get free games, make them spend money on it.

But yeah, once again 1Up fails. Remember when MLB 2006 got a 4.5? :lol

EDIT: and you're suprised by Milky yawning at a sports section? He's just a fat nerd with some japanese friends that put him in the mindset that if it isn't japanese it isn't good.

Macattk15

DenogginizerOS said:
Yeah. I will go as far to say that this is THE best commentary. For example, I was playing online against the Red Sox with Josh Beckett on the mound. I had Detroit. When Cabrera was up to bat, Beckett buzzed him and Dave Campbell said something like, "There was a 'hello' for his old teammate." It was seamless.

I agree. Just the other night online I was the Mariners playing the Tigers. Carlos Guillen came up and hit a 2R HR off me and the commentator said something along the lines of "man, players should do love to get revenge on their former teams".

It was awesome to hear since it was IMMEDIATE and spot on.

Broktune

Banned
Yeah, I get pretty tired of that smug attitude of some ultra gamers that shrug off anything sports related. It makes me feel, I don't know, kind of sorry for these guys. They're probably missing out on a lot of great times because they perceive sports the same way they perceived the jocks that used to take their lunch money and get all the girls in high school while they sat around talking about playstations and not getting laid.

Yes, sports is filled with many many assholes, from the atheletes to the fans. But as many of us know in this thread, going to a baseball game in person, knocking back a few beers, eating ten hot dogs, and watching/hearing/smelling the game.....is FREAKING AWESOME. The guys that shrug it off are douchebags.

That's why I take exception to the comments in the 1up review. This is obviously a person who has never watched a game on television, let alone gone to a game in person. If he had, he may relise how unbelievable the commentary, gameplay, and ambiance of the Show actually is.

kbear

Broktune said:
Yeah, I get pretty tired of that smug attitude of some ultra gamers that shrug off anything sports related. It makes me feel, I don't know, kind of sorry for these guys. They're probably missing out on a lot of great times because they perceive sports the same way they perceived the jocks that used to take their lunch money and get all the girls in high school while they sat around talking about playstations and not getting laid.

Yes, sports is filled with many many assholes, from the atheletes to the fans. But as many of us know in this thread, going to a baseball game in person, knocking back a few beers, eating ten hot dogs, and watching/hearing/smelling the game.....is FREAKING AWESOME. The guys that shrug it off are douchebags.

That's why I take exception to the comments in the 1up review. This is obviously a person who has never watched a game on television, let alone gone to a game in person. If he had, he may relise how unbelievable the commentary, gameplay, and ambiance of the Show actually is.
Broktune, you absolutely nailed it, especially the first paragraph.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Broktune said:

/Discussion about 1Up.

Big-E

Broktune said:

I agree with your first points. On your last point, the person who actually wrote the review does actually seem to care for baseball which is all the more puzzling. I don't see how a baseball fan can say this commentary is lacking when it is pretty clearly one of the best examples of sports commentary in a video game.

MauriceM

The game is fantastic. I love RTTS. However, the game is just so vague about its features. The manual is crap, and most of the settings are pure trial and error. I had to fiddle for several minutes to figure out how to add my friends to the buddy list, and still have no idea at all what the "Verification Codes" option is for in the online section.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that is a bit depressing of a review. If he is having that much trouble with this baseball game then he better stick to stuff like DOA:XBV since strategy isn't one of his strong points.

Does he even realized the game isn't about just getting a perfect meter combo (though it helps when properly used). If that was all of what he was trying for (along with the usual low & inside) then it's no wonder he was shelled to death. If he tried to paint the edges with various pitches and locations (in and out of the zone) he probably would have been more successful. Then again did he even take a moment to see what the batters state is (streaking or slumping) and where his sweat zones are. Even with all that some batters just seem to regularly hit your pitches.

captive

I hate to sound like a broke record, or a lesser baseball game that has its audio repeat.
But almost every time i play i hear a new sound byte i havent heard before. Tonight alone i have heard three.

After a diving play up the middle: "and even the east german judge gives that one a ten"
a close pitch: "i think ol' blue needs an eye exam"
a ball that pretty much painted the corner: "that looked like it got the outside corner to me but im just a broadcaster"

OatmealMu

Woo! Finally threw a no hitter.

Season started off bad. Was benched for complaining, then demoted to a reliever for not meeting my goals. Then, on my first game back as an SP I got injured. On top of that, the team's doing awful and my ERA is in the toilet.

It's weird to actually have the infield doing well. They definitely saved my ass a few times. I also managed to tag out the batter on a chopper. Rex had some choice words for him. :lol Finished off the game with less than 100 pitches, too.

It's been a while since I've played a game with so many ups and downs. I'm getting beat down hard and this is on Veteran. At least it's fun.

Big-E

Threw my first CG shutout today in RTTS. Only allowed 2 hits as well as striking out a measly two batters. I can't stop playing this damn mode and my player isn't even 20 years old yet.

Commentary is good......if Rex Hudler wasn't in it. Seriously. I don't need him to tell me to take the bat off my shoulder everytime I take 2 strikes I don't like to swing at and try to work the count and then end up with a base hit.

The pitching is a bit easy. I might have to up the difficulty now. Getting 1 hitters and 2 hitters almost every game while giving up 1 or 2 runs isn't really fun anymore.

Jazzy Network said:
The pitching is a bit easy. I might have to up the difficulty now. Getting 1 hitters and 2 hitters almost every game while giving up 1 or 2 runs isn't really fun anymore.

Yeah I find the AI hitters pretty anemic, even on HoF.

If you want to mess with sliders here's a few tweaks that helped increase the challenge for me (based these on Pared's set over at Operationsports)

Player 1
Pitch Command -8 or -9
Fielder Speed -5
Pitch Count +2
Wind +4 or +5

CPU
Hit Quality -7
Power +2
Fielding Reaction Time -4
Timing Window +10

Just a few tweaks to open things up a little. Maxing out timing window for the CPU (but keeping hit quality low) helps make them a bit more dangerous on pitches around the plate. And lowering pitch command means you won't always be on the black even if you're hitting the meter consistently. #1/2 starters can still control and dominate, but the lower end of the rotation/bullpen are harder to handle.

Halka

Neo Member
So I highly recommend everyone download and try the MLB 2K8 demo on PSN. It will make you INSANELY GRATEFUL we can play The Show.

It's like playing a frigging PS1 game. It is SO bad.

Halka said:
So I highly recommend everyone download and try the MLB 2K8 demo on PSN. It will make you INSANELY GRATEFUL we can play The Show.

So you're telling me I should torture myself? Not so great advice.

Halka

Neo Member
Jazzy Network said:
So you're telling me I should torture myself? Not so great advice.

Yes, it's like smelling spoiled milk.

"PHEW THIS SMELLS RAUNCHY"

"NO WAY GIVE IT HERE ... UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH MY GOD."

captive

Halka said:
Yes, it's like smelling spoiled milk.

"PHEW THIS SMELLS RAUNCHY"

"NO WAY GIVE IT HERE ... UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH MY GOD."
So your introducing something similar to the "courtesy sniff" for bad video games, the "courtesy play."
"oh man this game is so fucking awful" "no way let me try, you're right its horrible"

Broktune

Banned
Halka said:

I played the demo on the 360. The pitching is pretty cool. I just became pretty tired of it after doing those motions over 100 times a game. I also like the analog throwing meter. Other than that....ugh. It's the same as last year except the graphics are a bit worse and the action is choppy. It's sad that the commentary is almost exactly the same. I really loved 2k7 too.

I turned 19, started the year as the starting 3B for the Baltimore Orioles. One thing I liked - it continued my hit steak from season to season. I'm almost up to 40 games now.. :D Look out Joe DiMaggio, I'm coming to get you.

AkuMifune

Banned
I went halfway through a AA season yesterday with my left fielder in the Yankees farm system, and I'm so goddamn addicted. I know I'm LTTP to RTTS (hah!) but it's so damn fun right now. I'm only on Veteran, but will probably raise it tonight. Running the bases with crappy hitters is so boring! I get picked off 1/2 the time because I'm impatient. :lol

Wait, has anyone had a strange issue where you get booted to the XMB when a game is loading? Happened to me twice last night, and I haven't taken the game out since I got it, so I know it's not a DRE or something. Strange.

kbear

So I've got a SS/2B in RTTS. I completed a season of AA with the Padres minor league team... hit like .320, 11 hrs, 55 rbi in 350 at bats.

Anyway, instead of resigning with them I decide to test free agency. Looking at the teams, I see my Fightin' Phils have traded Jimmy Rollins for Carl Crawford, so the SS position is open.

I sign with them and I get to tryout during spring training with the pros. Here were my final stats for the month:

6 hrs
22 RBI
like a 1400 OPS

You'd think with Rollins getting traded and with those absolutely ridiculous spring training numbers, I'd make the team? Wrong... I got offered $175,000 for a 1-year AAA contract on the bench. What the hell? Why even have your guy get invited to spring training when there's absolutely no chance of getting a spot on the team? Again, I had a full season of AA under my belt as well.

Kintaro

kbear said:
You'd think with Rollins getting traded and with those absolutely ridiculous spring training numbers, I'd make the team? Wrong... I got offered $175,000 for a 1-year AAA contract on the bench. What the hell? Why even have your guy get invited to spring training when there's absolutely no chance of getting a spot on the team? Again, I had a full season of AA under my belt as well.

Even with those numbers, the guy on the team can still be "better" than you at that point. Just be happy you scored a lot of training points to help your stats out for your AAA season.

Broke the hitting streak and got me 2000 points to work with :D After getting it up to 60 games and no longer getting anything, I immediately stopped the hit streak and started up a new one :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DMczaf said:
1up continues to diss The Show. Now on Sports Anomaly they are comparing Show fans to Nintendo fanboys. WTF?

This is the nail in the coffin for me caring about anything 1up says. They can shove EGM and their lame attempts at humor as well.

Kintaro

DMczaf said:
1up continues to diss The Show. Now on Sports Anomaly they are comparing Show fans to Nintendo fanboys. WTF?

Huh? Sorry, too busy playing Road to the Show to care. Maybe they have too much trading baseball cards instead? Who knows.

shpankey

not an idiot
DMczaf said:
wow, hell, if anything, I could be considered a MSFT fan first and foremost and have never shown any particular love for anything Sony, but the sports fan in me overrides everything and The Show is simply an awesome game that can't be denied. Hell, I ended up buying a PS3 just to get this game after trying out the demo on a friends PS3.

i don't know why they keep beating this horse as if everyone is going to eventually agree with them. every big-time sports gamer i know is impressed with the game.

lionelhutz

Has anyone had problems with lag recently? I tried playing a game with a friend who lives 15 minutes away and we had to stop playing half way through the game. It was unplayable for both of us. I've had a few games where the lag is only noticeable right after a hit but it still seems far from being smooth all the time. Also, has anyone been able to get the voice chat to work in game? It's pretty bad when I have to use my 360 to chat for a PS3 game.

Mrbob

There is an ongoing neogaf league. :D

Lag has been much better this year than last year, but there are definitely times when things can get spotty. It makes no sense. The online bar will say green, the game will play perfectly for 5 innings and then in the 6th the game will chug every couple seconds while the bar stays green. Then in the 7th the game will go back to normal. Most of my online experience is pretty good, but sometimes there is annoying lag.

Not sure about voice chat, do not use it with the game but I hear it is spotty.

Coop

Man, I had a no hitter through 9 innings (the score was 0-0). My manager kept me intill the 10th inning when I gave up a homerun to lose the game. Do you know how pissed off I was?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Haven't played a baseball game in years, I've only tried a PS1 game once for a few minutes - but I played a bit of Bo Jackson Baseball on the Amiga.

After succesfully suggesting I buy the NHL 08, and seeing it was really good - I decided to go for something completely different for once. Usually, I only play soccer, but it's nice to widen my horizon a bit. Decided to import MLB 08, and see how many of the baseball rules I know. :p

lionelhutz

MrBob, thanks for the feedback.

Is there anyway to use the play now mode but select the search criteria? I have to vent for a moment...GUESS PITCH IS BULLSHIT. I understand you guess the pitch and/or location but don't take away my pitching meter. I setup the scout mode but I don't want to challenge players individually. Why is the scout mode not an automatic challenge like play now? The strike zone is about the only thing I can see keeping enabled since many of us probably don't have a rumble controller.
which is about the only thing rumble is good for...think back to MVP 2005.

In summary, guess pitch is a crock of shit.

Top Bottom