• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB '08: The Show(PS3,PSP,PS2) Thread

lionelhutz

cjtiger300 said:

I'm all out of ideas. I briefly tried RttS so I'm not familiar with how quickly they develop. Maybe other attributes need to be increased (stamina, endurance, etc.).

eznark

Banned
Afrikan said:
after not playing for a week, I just got my ass handed to me by WALKOFFWIN.....
9-2...... He was the Brewers, I was the Astros.....

Rieke Weeks 2-4...2hr...5rbi

I think I'll play some COD4 now.. :(

Go Brewers!

Has the PS3 update helped with mlb08 online play at all? I didn't get a chance to update last night.

lionelhutz

eznark said:
Go Brewers!

Has the PS3 update helped with mlb08 online play at all? I didn't get a chance to update last night.

I saw in the release thread it was supposed to fix some issues with games but nothing MLB specific was posted. I just checked the Sony site and it still lists 2.10 as the latest FW. I hope it fixes the lag. Does running in 1080p or 720p have anything to do w/ lag?

cjtiger300 said:
This is weird. I am playing as a closer on RTTS (this is so much fun) and I have my 4SFB velocity maxed and I still only throw a max of 92 mph with most of them being 88 and 89. This is just weird. Anyone else having this problem?

same

Nightz

cjtiger300 said:
This is weird. I am playing as a closer on RTTS (this is so much fun) and I have my 4SFB velocity maxed and I still only throw a max of 92 mph with most of them being 88 and 89. This is just weird. Anyone else having this problem?
I'm guessing you need to improve the arm strength stat as well. My 4 seam fastball is at about 75%, and I was throwing about 88-89. I worked on arm strength and now I can get up to 91-92.

Nightz said:
I'm guessing you need to improve the arm strength stat as well. My 4 seam fastball is at about 75%, and I was throwing about 88-89. I worked on arm strength and now I can get up to 91-92.

I will try that.

ToddG15

Nightz said:
You get up to 91-92, or consistently throw 91-92? My arm strength is crap but my fastball stats are very high. I can throw fastballs at 91-92, but generally between 88-90.

lionelhutz

I started a RttS SP and my 4seam fastball is around 88-89 too. I did hit 90 once but it was a perfect pitch according to the meter. Once arm stregnth, mechanics, stamina, and all of those factors are increased it should go up.

kbear

RTTS is really hard. I've had to drop down to Veteran from HoF because I couldn't hit anything... I'm still under the Mendoza line. It's not that I can't get good contact but when I do it seems to go right to them or it's a deep fly ball. Haven't hit a single home run yet in RTTS... they're all deep fly balls. I can tell if this was a regular game with MLB players, all those fly balls would be out of the park. What do you all recommend to boost in training? So far I've concentrated on both powers and both contacts, power more. And also the general batting one... which has vision / disc / CLT (what is this?)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
cjtiger300 said:
I read that in addition to your fastball velocity that you have to have ARM STRENGTH AND the velocity of your other pitches up to raise your fastballs speed.

kbear said:
RTTS is really hard. I've had to drop down to Veteran from HoF because I couldn't hit anything... I'm still under the Mendoza line. It's not that I can't get good contact but when I do it seems to go right to them or it's a deep fly ball. Haven't hit a single home run yet in RTTS... they're all deep fly balls. I can tell if this was a regular game with MLB players, all those fly balls would be out of the park. What do you all recommend to boost in training? So far I've concentrated on both powers and both contacts, power more. And also the general batting one... which has vision / disc / CLT (what is this?)
Yea it is, i had to drop from All-star to veteran and im a pitcher.

Big-E

I have been having a breeze with RTTS on HOF with my SP. I got a high 80's fastball with a good splitter. I also have a 12-6 Curve and a Knuckle Curve. The key I find to success in RTTS is always try to get that first pitch strike and keep the ball low and only go high if you want them to chase. Keep the ball low and you will easily be pitching shutouts and 1 run games.

OatmealMu

How often do you guys follow your catcher's signs in RTTS? The calls they make seem to rely heavily on stats. For example, a cutter is my primary pitch and it's stats are quite a bit better than both my circle change-up and knuckleball. While in theory, I suppose, it makes sense to rely on the cutter, opposing batters will eventually key in and make me pay for it.

Right now, I'm experimenting with pitching as many change-ups as I do fastballs. Batters seem to be swinging a lot more, whereas before, they'd eventually learn to wait, and wait, and wait...

OatmealMu said:
Right now, I'm experimenting with pitching as many change-ups as I do fastballs. Batters seem to be swinging a lot more, whereas before, they'd eventually learn to wait, and wait, and wait...
That's real life. An average player can be a great fastball hitter, but not many are great hitters of hanging curves or changeups.

In my one game with Alex Anderson, our first 6 innings were absolute guessing games. Trying to figure out each person's tendencies for pitching location and types. Then we started to figure each other out with a 3-2 final score.

OatmealMu

That's what I figured. I knew something was wrong with the catcher's signals when they were telling me to throw 4 knuckleballs in a row. You can guess how those ended up.

Oddly enough, I was just called up as a starter for the Brewers after a terrible game. A lot of importance seems to be placed on whether or not you succeed in the goals given to you. I had wanted to increase my stats while in the minors, but at least I'm away from the awful infield. Seriously, in the last game, Dumbfuck McShortstop botched another easy throw to first. Next batter knocked a 3 run homerun on a beautifully placed pitch -- low inside corner and he hits it the other way.

wat

BTW, is it advisable to learn a fourth pitch? My arsenal is feeling sparse, but I'm still unsure. With the knuckleball, it feels more like I have two pitches instead of three.

OatmealMu said:
BTW, is it advisable to learn a fourth pitch? My arsenal is feeling sparse, but I'm still unsure. With the knuckleball, it feels more like I have two pitches instead of three.
Well, let me put it this way. do you want hitters to have a 1/3 chance in guessing the type of pitch, or 1/4? Actually, it doesn't quite work that way I'm sure, but I've always been 4 pitch cause it shocks even the AI.

I never really followed the catcher's instructions to a T once my attributes improved. Sometimes throwing what he called ended up in the bleachers, it was even more when I was total rook. But once I started getting consistent, I called my own shots about 75% of the time.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
finally got my copy last night. I have always loved this series and it just got better. Does anyone know if there is a stat for catchers and their ability to call games? Because my catcher doesn't call a great game very often....

T. Hudson 9.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 12 SO

I think that's the first time I've struck out 10 batters with one pitcher in over 100 games of The Show 07 and 08 on HOF difficulty (vs. CPU). That was some fun shit :) Uggla ended my no-hit bid after 6.1 IP with a HR on a 3-2 sinker straight down the heart of the plate, oops.

Kurt Suzuki leads the AL in hitting with a .586 (27 for 46) batting average through 16 games played for the A's. I'm the Braves, so that's some funky CPU shit going on. No one else in either league is within .100 of him. o_O

Kurt Suzuki.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Alex Anderson said:
T. Hudson 9.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 12 SO

I think that's the first time I've struck out 10 batters with one pitcher in over 100 games of The Show 07 and 08 on HOF difficulty (vs. CPU). That was some fun shit :) Uggla ended my no-hit bid after 6.1 IP with a HR on a 3-2 sinker straight down the heart of the plate, oops.

Kurt Suzuki leads the AL in hitting with a .586 (27 for 46) batting average through 16 games played for the A's. I'm the Braves, so that's some funky CPU shit going on. No one else in either league is within .100 of him. o_O

Kurt Suzuki.

It happens at the start of the year. He will come back to earth soon.

I racked up 10 ks in 7 and 1/3 with the King. I love striking out the side.

shpankey

not an idiot
one thing that threw me off when i first started Rtts was the base throwing being all backwards button wise [but not perspective wise]. i threw to home trying to start a double play :lol

i can't stay away from my franchise though, so addicting :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
OatmealMu said:
That's what I figured. I knew something was wrong with the catcher's signals when they were telling me to throw 4 knuckleballs in a row. You can guess how those ended up.

No, I can't guess actually. How did those end up? =P

With Wakefield, Knuckleballs are COMPLETELY random. It's awesome to watch the pitch dance all over the place. :lol

EekTheKat

They really did a remarkable job with the presentation in this game.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but when my RTTS player finally made it to the majors and stepped up for his first at bat AT&T park there was this rush of adrenaline that I haven't felt from a sports game in a long, long time.

My RTTS guy is kind of like the second coming of Pedro Cerrano though, I can't seem to hit anything but fast balls with him :lol

captive

shpankey said:
one thing that threw me off when i first started Rtts was the base throwing being all backwards button wise [but not perspective wise]. i threw to home trying to start a double play :lol

i can't stay away from my franchise though, so addicting :D
You can change it to classic, where circle is first, triangle is second etc. I changed it to classic but the time i spent with it the other way, it still fucks me up.

kbear

So I'm officially hooked on RTTS.. I played my shortstop in AA from 10pm to 3 in the morning last night, 5 straight hours!! Some comments..

- the loading times can get frustrating, especially when they put you in late in the game for a pinch hit -- you're actually loading the game longer than the sequence lasts. Sometimes the loads are like 20+ seconds... if they could fix that in next year's game, would that be awesome or what? seemless, instant play..

- early on i was batting like .100, now i've somehow managed to hover around .300, also hit 2 homers. But 2 isn't enough... i've pumped both powers and contacts yet i cannot tell you how many deep fly balls i'm getting, so many to the warning track. 90% of these fly balls would be homers if i were just playing a regular mlb exhibition game. How much power does it take?? Is it because my guy's 190 lbs? i tried to model him after myself, 6'2", 190...but isn't that what the weight room is for? put on some weight? I'm getting frustrated with the lack of bombs. But I'm gonna keep at it and continue pump power

- One of the major complaints i have is baserunning when let's say you're on first and another guy's on second. I've been forced to sit through so many 10+ pitch at bats with the AI fouling stuff off constantly, while just sitting there at first doing nothing. It really takes you out of the game...you're just like come on come on, hit it or strike out. Sometimes even when there's nobody on second, i'll steal despite knowing i'll probably get thrown out because i simply don't want to wait for the inning to be over. I wish this could be put on Auto or something

- Fielding is boring as well (at least with a shortstop / 2b / 3b, which are the ones i've tried)... it's just so easy. There's nothing to it. You run to the ground ball and hold square to throw it to 1b, or X to flip it to second for a DP. It's so incredibly shallow and boring compared to the deep hitting aspect of the game. I wish I could put this on Auto as well... or be allowed to fast forward to my next appearance in the game (can you do this?). Oh and there's barely any points incentive for fielding... you get some for put outs and assists, but it's only like 5 points for each.

- The fun i have with hitting makes up for those deficiencies, obviously, otherwise i wouldn't have played for 5 straight monster hours last night. But still... i wish you could skip to the next appearance.

captive

kbear said:
So I'm officially hooked on RTTS.. I played my shortstop in AA from 10pm to 3 in the morning last night, 5 straight hours!! Some comments..

- the loading times can get frustrating, especially when they put you in late in the game for a pinch hit -- you're actually loading the game longer than the sequence lasts. Sometimes the loads are like 20+ seconds... if they could fix that in next year's game, would that be awesome or what? seemless, instant play..

- early on i was batting like .100, now i've somehow managed to hover around .300, also hit 2 homers. But 2 isn't enough... i've pumped both powers and contacts yet i cannot tell you how many deep fly balls i'm getting, so many to the warning track. 90% of these fly balls would be homers if i were just playing a regular mlb exhibition game. How much power does it take?? Is it because my guy's 190 lbs? i tried to model him after myself, 6'2", 190...but isn't that what the weight room is for? put on some weight? I'm getting frustrated with the lack of bombs. But I'm gonna keep at it and continue pump power

- One of the major complaints i have is baserunning when let's say you're on first and another guy's on second. I've been forced to sit through so many 10+ pitch at bats with the AI fouling stuff off constantly, while just sitting there at first doing nothing. It really takes you out of the game...you're just like come on come on, hit it or strike out. Sometimes even when there's nobody on second, i'll steal despite knowing i'll probably get thrown out because i simply don't want to wait for the inning to be over. I wish this could be put on Auto or something

- Fielding is boring as well (at least with a shortstop / 2b / 3b, which are the ones i've tried)... it's just so easy. There's nothing to it. You run to the ground ball and hold square to throw it to 1b, or X to flip it to second for a DP. It's so incredibly shallow and boring compared to the deep hitting aspect of the game. I wish I could put this on Auto as well... or be allowed to fast forward to my next appearance in the game (can you do this?). Oh and there's barely any points incentive for fielding... you get some for put outs and assists, but it's only like 5 points for each.

- The fun i have with hitting makes up for those deficiencies, obviously, otherwise i wouldn't have played for 5 straight monster hours last night. But still... i wish you could skip to the next appearance.
Thanks for the thoughts. I have been meaning to ask what RTTS is like as a position player. Since im playing as a pitcher i dont deal with any of that.
The fielding part, that sounds just like what fielding in real life is. You stand around and wait for something to happen.
This is why i moved to pitcher/catcher when i played in highschool.

Anyway i got promoted to AAA after spring training in my second season. Though it sucks i went form a SP to a Middle Relief Pitcher.

Sylar

Banned
Ugh every time I see this thread I die a bit. How I long for a PS3 :(. Anyone got any impressions on the PS2 one?

eznark

Banned
So this game got my buddy to buy a PS3 and he's stoked about it. We played an awesome couple games last night, pretty much lag free the entire time. I don't just mean it ran well, it ran as though we were playing it locally. It was awesome.

I was surprised though that optimal setting, we were forced to use the 360 to communicate. Even when it works, the voice chat on MLB08 sounds like shit. I know the Wii gets a ton of shit for it's lack of voice but for God's sake, this game is no better and I read today that hot shots golf lack voice chat at all?

Now, it's not a massive hinderance (the 360 has turned into a giant walkie talkie for Brawl and MLB though) for me when I play against people I know but playing against random people and not being able to taunt them when Sheets sets down 8 in a row swinging is torture!

captive

eznark said:
So this game got my buddy to buy a PS3 and he's stoked about it. We played an awesome couple games last night, pretty much lag free the entire time. I don't just mean it ran well, it ran as though we were playing it locally. It was awesome.
This is locally, like same city right? When i played my friend from Austin(im in Houston) it was pretty good until the 8th where we had the its-going-to-take-5-minutes-to-get-to-the-plate. Then out of no where the game disconnected us for no apparent reason.

We tried to play again the other day but it any time either of us would send the challenge to the other it would always fail, no idea why.

eznark

Banned
captive said:
This is locally, like same city right? When i played my friend from Austin(im in Houston) it was pretty good until the 8th where we had the its-going-to-take-5-minutes-to-get-to-the-plate. Then out of no where the game disconnected us for no apparent reason.

We tried to play again the other day but it any time either of us would send the challenge to the other it would always fail, no idea why.

Oh yeah, sorry. He lives like half a mile away from me. He has a newborn so isn't able to get out of the house a whole lot, which is why we play online when we live a few blocks apart.

captive

eznark said:
Oh yeah, sorry. He lives like half a mile away from me. He has a newborn so isn't able to get out of the house a whole lot, which is why we play online when we live a few blocks apart.
Yea then it definitely seems like distance plays a somewhat significant role in the lag of the game.

eznark

Banned
kbear said:
So has anyone noticed improvement in the lag after 2.17 firmware update? I haven't tried yet

nope, played one random match and it was worse than I've had before (it was at like 6 in the evening, what I would imagine is a peak time).

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Is there some machine learning going on in this game?

Every time i pin a "knockout pitch" the CPU stops falling for it about 2 to three games later. First I was sitting them down with a circle change low and inside, then I switched to a slider waist high and away, and now i'm trying to do a slurve low and away but it seems as if they cought on to that too (and mighty quick mind you). I don't know if i can keep coming up with stuff and they seem to be well fortified against all my previous junk balls. Pitching seems to get harder over the course of the season. Now i just pitch for outs lol. Just changes and movement pitches low if not even lower lol. I sware the low circle change is a ground ball MACHINE. I don't throw fastballs AT ALL. It only took my first two games on vet to realize nobody falls for a damn fastball. Why the hell does the catcher AI recommend that crap so often?

Afrikan

Afrikan said:
after not playing for a week, I just got my ass handed to me by WALKOFFWIN.....
9-2...... He was the Brewers, I was the Astros.....

Rieke Weeks 2-4...2hr...5rbi

I think I'll play some COD4 now.. :(

REVENGE IS A BITCH!!!!...:lol

got his ass back..... 7-1.. I had 16 hits...he had like 3....

I had the Giants, he had the Rangers

I had Tim Lincecum on the mound dealing......Complete game...almost had a shut out...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just picked up the psp version. But I can't play since my psp isn't up to date. Trying to update it but it says battery is low, even though I have the charger plugged in. Sucks. :lol

OatmealMu

Since reaching the majors, I'm suddenly having a lot of trouble placing my cut fastball. In AA and AAA, I could easily place it along the bottom edge of the strike zone. Now, the ball is either above or below but never in between. My timing's the same, so I don't know what's going on.

Any ideas? I'm having a hard time swallowing this sudden change. My cutter is so unreliable that I have to rely on the change-up. I don't like that.

Coop

Fielding is boring as well (at least with a shortstop / 2b / 3b, which are the ones i've tried)... it's just so easy. There's nothing to it. You run to the ground ball and hold square to throw it to 1b, or X to flip it to second for a DP. It's so incredibly shallow and boring compared to the deep hitting aspect of the game. I wish I could put this on Auto as well... or be allowed to fast forward to my next appearance in the game (can you do this?). Oh and there's barely any points incentive for fielding... you get some for put outs and assists, but it's only like 5 points for each.

Yeah it was boring last year too. IIRC, last year's version (or the year before) allowed you to fast forward to your next appearance but I dont think it's in this version. Pitching is pretty enjoyable, maybe you should try that.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Playing RttS on veteran and I had a perfect game going in the 9th with 2 outs and 1-2 count. The #9 batter (of all players) goes out of the zone on my sinker and bops a soft grounder to the short stop and he tries to 1 hand it and misses >8( . They then charge it as an infield hit ;_;
Great game, I'm so hooked I can't believe it.

Well, finally finished my first season. Once I get some more games in with my new pitcher, I can write a nice little review of Road to the Show 2.0.

oatmeal

Banned
After two years in the Astro's farm system, I wanted to move out of the NL. So I tried out for the Twins since they were lacking in starting pitching. I had a pretty shitty spring (like 5.00+ ERA, 1.400+ WHIP) but they still signed me for I think 465K/year (one year) for the MLB starting rotation.

I was expecting to not make the majors until 2012, but I made it in 2010. I think that's one problem with having only the two teams, if it had single-A or even high-A and low-A it would feel like more work to get to the bigs. But I digress. Now I'm in the majors and for some reason I'm having more success than I have ever had.

In fact, I threw a CG SHO last night against the White Sox. 3 H, 10 K's, 1 BB. It was pretty amazing. My ERA right now at the end of May is sub 2.00. And I'm 5-0... Not very real...maybe they're just having trouble adjusting to me.

I'm playing on HoF, btw.

But yeah the first few starts were so awesome because at the beginning they'd talk about how it was my first (and then second) starts of the season. Game is polished to shit.

I still haven't played a SINGLE game where I control the team. The last time I played all 9 players was in the demo. I'm waiting for finished opening day rosters (including minor league players) before I start that.

But RTTS makes this my favorite game in a long long long time.

lionelhutz said:
Is that to turn it on permanently or every time you need to say something?
you just have to click it once. but the tricky thing is, you can often inadvertantly click that stick, which would turn it back off without you realizing it. Plus, your buddy may have inadvertantly muted his with an accidental click of the stick.

It makes me so sad that things I took for granted on the ps2 like lag free games and proper voice chat seem to be insurmountable obstacles on the ps3.

lionelhutz

Frank Lemon said:
you just have to click it once. but the tricky thing is, you can often inadvertantly click that stick, which would turn it back off without you realizing it. Plus, your buddy may have inadvertantly muted his with an accidental click of the stick.

It makes me so sad that things I took for granted on the ps2 like lag free games and proper voice chat seem to be insurmountable obstacles on the ps3.

Thanks. I never had a PS2 but setting up an invite, getting voice chat to work, etc. on the PS3 have all proved to be a pain in the ass. I can appreciate the flexibility blue tooth provides for accessories but I wish there was better integration between the XMB and what's in a game. Luckily both games I've played have been at night so I can use my cell phone on speaker and not worry about minutes. It's just little stuff like this that makes it hard to like the PS3. I want to like it but it isn't easy.

Top Bottom