• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 2k5(Powered by ESPN!) Xbox League: Have another $20 VC, Hell is freezing

LukeSmith

Once I figure out which is more broken in this game I'll either be interested in unloading some pitching or some of my ridiculous line-up.

Ramirez

Man W-T-F,Juan Gonzalez and Arthur Rhodes are in AAA :(

But yea FMT I'll trade you Casey Blake for Jones,Blake is an 80 overall 3rd basemen or just DH (I use him at DH).

Average vs LHP-B+
Average vs. RHP-A-
HR vs. LHP-B
HR vs. RHP-C+

I need the speed and a good OF :| You're getting a good hitter in return :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Truelize said:
Trade wise, I just want Giambi. Wellie lets trade 1Bman for 1Bman. :)

It's not happenin'! :lol

Giambi is rated a ricockulous 92 in this game. I thought he'd take a massive hit in ratings due to the steroid debacle and his horrible performance last season, but hey if VC wants to unfairly spike up my team, then I'll take it. Revenge for the Giants and the Knicks, bitches!

can't adjust the sliders once the league has started :D

this is why i wanted everyone to test the sliders out and post suggestions. i didn't have a problem w/ player speed, but it's a moot point now anyways

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
can't adjust the sliders once the league has started :D

this is why i wanted everyone to test the sliders out and post suggestions. i didn't have a problem w/ player speed, but it's a moot point now anyways

yeah way too many inside the park home runs from what i've heard on day one... TJ Bennett and I are top of 19th right now.

Bottom 19: Reggie Sanders walk off Home run.
RIDIC
Also:
Why is Cal Eldred listed for me as a Long Reliever? He's Setup in the actual game and his stamina is a D, there's nothing long about that.

oh, you are saying the outfielder speed is too slow? there is no slider adjustment for outfielder speed sadly. there should be no inside the park homers if you are playing the ball safe and not trying to dive at everything, but i could be wrong

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
19 Innings.

Christ. I'm actually physical winded after a 2 1/2 hour MLB marathon. At least I won, oh wait ... I lost 2-1. I doubt anybody will have a game this season go for as long.

Fifty

Scoot said:
Why is Cal Eldred listed for me as a Long Reliever? He's Setup in the actual game and his stamina is a D, there's nothing long about that.

The same reason my 4th starter is listed as a middle reliever, a position he never played last year, and the same reason ramirez has two MLB guys stuck in AAA. I could go on...

LukeSmith

Fifty said:
The same reason my 4th starter is listed as a middle reliever, a position he never played last year, and the same reason ramirez has two MLB guys stuck in AAA. I could go on...

Answer: 2k suX?

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh, you are saying the outfielder speed is too slow? there is no slider adjustment for outfielder speed sadly. there should be no inside the park homers if you are playing the ball safe and not trying to dive at everything, but i could be wrong

Yeah, the outfielders were moving SOOOO slow, FMT. That's how TJ Bennet had an inside the parker which should've been a double or triple at BEST. There was no foolhardy pressing of the R analog for fruitless dives. And earlier in the game some A-hole on my team had a triple because an outfielder was slothing it to the ball and looking at it, even when I had control of him.

The infield speed was aight, David Eckstein was superhuman at short.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Can anyone help me out and tell me what the five best pitchers are on the Giants? I don't really know who to use in my lineup and how to rank them.
I know Schmidt is my best. But after that I'm lost.

Truelize said:
Can anyone help me out and tell me what the five best pitchers are on the Giants? I don't really know who to use in my lineup and how to rank them.
I know Schmidt is my best. But after that I'm lost.

Just start a temporary franchise or season or something to check it out, it should be in the front office part.

Hey, pitching rotations are taken care of by the game. Go check your injury report, and you should see that the pitcher are fatigued or whatever for one or two games.

Basically, if your game went 19 innings, half of your bullpen won't be in the next game...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
FrenchMovieTheme said:

The problem is judging fly balls and where your fielders are in relation to them. Matrix and I probably had about 4 extra outs each because we had no idea how close our outfielder was to a foul ball. And I think both of our scoring runs were on dribbling fly balls to the wall (not such a big deal). The camera just sucks.

Ramirez

The inside the park Fifty got on me was the result of the stupid ass A.I. not staying back and backing up the play,instead he runs towards the ball and when I missed it there was no one there to get it.OF speed was fine for me,I made an awesome diving catch near the stands,Gerut's speed is ridiculously overrated I'm pretty sure :lol

mlhaynes4

Yeah I was victim to an inside the parker too I believe, and if it wasnt an inside the parker it was a triple. Basically what happened was my OFer was taking his sweet ass time getting to the circle, so I was like WTF is there a speed button? Pressed A.. took a dive... ball rolls to the wall :lol

And yes I was holding R too... confusing

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Malley and I will likely play tonight. We were set to play last night but my real life kicked in and we had to postpone. For what it's worth I had to postpone my Madden game as well.

LukeSmith

ConfusingJazz said:
Hey, pitching rotations are taken care of by the game. Go check your injury report, and you should see that the pitcher are fatigued or whatever for one or two games.

Basically, if your game went 19 innings, half of your bullpen won't be in the next game...

No, my entire bullpen
Looks like whoever I play next will be getting multiple starting pitchers :)

LukeSmith

I'm also disturbed at the rumors I'm hearing about the abundance of shitty pitches that you guys are throwing.
I'm going to vid capture all my games and post infractions here, I think. :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Scoot said:
I'm also disturbed at the rumors I'm hearing about the abundance of shitty pitches that you guys are throwing.
I'm going to vid capture all my games and post infractions here, I think. :D

That would fucking suck. It's just a fucking game, no need to try and be a douche to eek out a few extra strikeouts. At the same time though, the hitter needs to be patient, but with the pitch speed set as high as it is, it's a little tough.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I throw some balls, and I got some thrown against me. I also am so used to MVP at this point that I threw some completely unintentional garbage outside the plate (including the infamous wild pitch on a "pressure" situation) because I couldn't control the goddamn meter. I'm sorry, but I'm using the Tigers and if I have to throw every single pitch down the pipe I might as well forfeit now. I'm not trying (nor have the skill) to be Pedro Goddamn Martinez in this game but I'm not going to worry too much about throwing you a slow slider outside the zone on 0-2. Any more than I bitch about my ability to hit said pitch.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The occasional outside slider on 0-2 is definitely not a problem, what is, is say I get a guy on second, scoring position, and then my opponent decides to never go inside the strike zone. It's really the only possible cheese in the game.

Cloudy

Banned
If he doesn't throw pitches in certain situations, why swing in those situations? o_O

The check swing is crap so I just don't swing if I think it's gonna be garbage. Plus throwing outside the zone makes it easier for mistake pitches. I'm working on it myself but the answer is to be patient and try to see the other guy's tendencies...

i know it sounds odd, but for those of you who think the OF's are too slow are you using Turbo (R trigger)? i ask because i had a play last night where bob hit it to the outfield, i dived and missed it, and it rolled ALL the way back to the wall, and he still only got a triple.

you guys are using turbo right? i dont understand how an ItP HR could happen

Cloudy

Banned
The only time I gave up an ITPHR was when I dove for the ball instead of just backing up and playing it safe..

Mrbob

Wellington said:
The occasional outside slider on 0-2 is definitely not a problem, what is, is say I get a guy on second, scoring position, and then my opponent decides to never go inside the strike zone. It's really the only possible cheese in the game.

Make him have to throw you strikes by forcing walks. I have a problem too reading pitches but I'm not completely comfortable with the batting system yet. By game seven or eight I plan on getting five, six, seven walks a game if pitchers keep on throwing balls out of the zone.

Ramirez

what is, is say I get a guy on second, scoring position, and then my opponent decides to never go inside the strike zone. It's really the only possible cheese in the game.

This is what I mean,and it seems to have happened in almost all of my games that I've played so far.Aside from FMT,he just likes to throw that meat down the pipe :lol :D

Oh and I gave up an ITP HR because the dumbass AI didn't back up the play like it should have.

Fifty

My Bullpen isn't good. I gave up a walk and two hits to ramirez, and he had the bases loaded. I had no one warmed up and ready to replace Speier, so I just pitched hoping to get him to swing, since there was no way I was going to strike him out, and he had been hitting everything on the corner of the plate. Well let me tell you, this possible cheese is not so easy to do....The cursor moved so fast that I ended up throwing a pitch down the middle, with the pitch icon visible. Yes, I got lucky, this attempt at throwing off the plate should have cost me the game. I think it's a fair balance of risk reward, in high pressure situations, and as we play more, we'll be better at taking balls.

Aside from FMT,he just likes to throw that meat down the pipe

only with Santana, the supernatural!

but seriously fellas lets not complain about too many balls. it is human nature and the nature of a true competitor to "go after" your opponent, but at the sametime there is a thin line between going after someone and being stupid. i can tell you right now that if you start off the inning with a triple. there is a HIGH probability that i am going to pitch the next batter garbage. i would rather walk him. why? i can get a DP, or i can possibly have you chase something you dont want. the dangerous thing isn't garbage pitches, the dangerous thing are those dominant pitchers who can make you THINK something is in the strikezone and its not. or they make you think it's going to be a ball, you take, and you sit down looking. we will all get better @ reading the pitches and managing those situations, but if you have guys in scoring position RELAX! you are ahead of the game at that point! let your opponent entice you to swing. the pressure is on him, not you, but you have to be patient and wait for your pitch.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Relax guys! Malley and I will play tonight! I've got like five separate people telling me to IM him on his phone. :lol

Mrbob

Ok, I just noticed something extremely stupid about the way MLB2K5 handles injuries. Everyone who had their closer finish a game for them check their injury status. Every closer is out one game due to minor pitching fatigue! Who was the roody poo who designed this? Closers are conditioned to go out on any given day if they have too! Sometimes they'll pitch four games in a row and then not pitch for three games! Dumb, dumb, dumb. Is this going to happen with all relief? Can't use them in the next game?!

Mrbob said:
Ok, I just noticed something extremely stupid about the way MLB2K5 handles injuries. Everyone who had their closer finish a game for them check their injury status. Every closer is out one game due to minor pitching fatigue! Who was the roody poo who designed this? Closers are conditioned to go out on any given day if they have too! Sometimes they'll pitch four games in a row and then not pitch for three games! Dumb, dumb, dumb. Is this going to happen with all relief? Can't use them in the next game?!

Yeah, kinda wish i knew that before i brought in dotel...

Fifty

I only pitched one inning with Speier (not that I want to use him again!) and it says he has minor pitching fatigue. That's crazy. Closers should be able to close, stupid VC.

Mrbob

For comparison, Prior went 8 innings, threw a bazillion balls and is out only two games. Hawkins, on the other hand, closed out the 9th with like 6 pitches. Yet he is out a game?

Also, starting pitchers should be out three games minimum. Not two.

All the stat tracking in the world is nice but it would be nice if VC/Kush could get the damn fundementals down first.

Top Bottom