• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2012 (F1, MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Got to feel a bit sorry for loeb as well, guy is putting all the hard work in to win championships and no-one gives a toss as he is the only guy in it.

I cant see how WRC will ever to return to the point where that mcrae et all were household names.
Yep. Despite McRae's death, the fact that the Dirt games are backed by people like Travis Pastrana and Ken Block as opposed to WRC contenders like Loeb or even retired ones like Makinen shows the audience that companies (not necessarily licensed ones... although that was an abortion last year, with little more than licensed cars afaik) aren't bothering tackling enthusiasts anymore.

Dead Man

Yep. Despite McRae's death, the fact that the Dirt games are backed by people like Travis Pastrana and Ken Block as opposed to WRC contenders like Loeb or even retired ones like Makinen shows the audience that companies (not necessarily licensed ones... although that was an abortion last year, with little more than licensed cars afaik) aren't bothering tackling enthusiasts anymore.

American audiences have never really followed WRC, and that is who those games are targeting now.

Shaneus

American audiences have never really followed WRC, and that is who those games are targeting now.
True, hadn't actually thought that one through. It seems the original Colin McRae games, the Richard Burns game and to a lesser (but still notable) extent Rallisport 2 had a very European-centric, serious game design philosophy going on, but the Dirt series (admittedly, even while Colin was still alive for the first one's release) has taken a turn for the worse with nothing else (not even the official one, licensed to a dev with a rather poor track record.

Anyway, too much rambling. Point was, something happened in WRC over the last 5 or 6 years which screwed the popularity of the sport beyond repair.

Dilly

Banned
I stopped caring when Subaru and Mitsubishi pulled out.

Actually I don't really can't express it in words, but the WRC these days just lack spirit. When compared to the Group B for example. WRC cars today feel like toys.

ashk

WRC is actually starting to pick up a bit compared to recent years with Mini joining last season, Volkswagen joining next season and the return of the Monte Carlo rally to the calender. Competition is also tighter with Ogier's rise (until Loeb threatened to leave Citroen) and Latvala is starting to up his game. Also Solberg is back in a factory car for this season, he's one to watch. It's a shame Mini doesn't have a stronger financial backing though, if they had two strong drivers it would definitely make it more interesting.

dalin80

Banned
just cos' its a pretty picture

McLarenMP4-12CGT3FrontSide.jpg

dalin80

Banned
WRC is actually starting to pick up a bit compared to recent years with Mini joining last season, Volkswagen joining next season and the return of the Monte Carlo rally to the calender. Competition is also tighter with Ogier's rise (until Loeb threatened to leave Citroen) and Latvala is starting to up his game. Also Solberg is back in a factory car for this season, he's one to watch. It's a shame Mini doesn't have a stronger financial backing though, if they had two strong drivers it would definitely make it more interesting.

mini actually missed the sign up deadline.

Arcticfox

Wait, Petit Le Mans is not part of the endurance championship? That was my favorite race of the year. Multi-class racing on Road Atlanta is always entertaining.

It looks like the Bahrain race is the same weekend so I assume that means none of the big teams will be at Petit. I guess the chances of any of the big prototype teams running a full season in the ALMS anytime soon is slim.

ANDY_098

What new teams are rolling in the LMP1 class besides Toyota this year?

Can't wait to see that car.

Just Toyota this year I think, Porsche are joining in 2014.

Dome may join in the near future.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/dome-eyes-le-mans-return/

Also Lotus were working on an LMP2 for this years Le Mans, but delayed to 2013.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87050
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111007/ALMS/111009912

Almost forgot the Deltawing, taking up the 56th entry for cars using new technology.

http://deltawingracing.com/

ashk

Awesome, am curios how it runs compared to the R18

I don't expect it to be up there with Peugeot and Audi since the current rules still seem to favour diesel engines. Nothing's certain though since they're the first factory team to run a petrol hybrid so who knows what kind of potential it has.

ANDY_098

Live coverage of the Dakar starts in 30mins on Eurosport.

It's only on for half an hour, but better than nothing. Highlights on at 10pm.

Really cheesed off to find out that the gt1 championship isn't coming to silverstone this year. Went last year and had a absolute blast, lurve them machines!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
LMP1 class with Audi, Peugeot, Toyota and Porsche.

Sounds awesome.
Nissan are rumoured to be interested in a return as well.

Also, it's nice to see this thread getting traffic, a strong motorsport thread to go along with F1 thread is exactly what was needed.

Edmond Dantès;33936638 said:
Also, it's nice to see this thread getting traffic, a strong motorsport thread to go along with F1 thread is exactly what was needed.

I'll be honest, I stayed out of this thread last year as I hadn't long been a member of GAF and every time I poked my head in it always seemed to be NASCAR chat. I built up a massive love of all forms of Motorsport last year after attending a few races and taking interest in various championships so hopefully will be a regular in here now.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'll be honest, I stayed out of this thread last year as I hadn't long been a member of GAF and every time I poked my head in it always seemed to be NASCAR chat. I built up a massive love of all forms of Motorsport last year after attending a few races and taking interest in various championships so hopefully will be a regular in here now.
That thread was much more varied when Subzero9285 was around and was the main thread before F1 was given its own thread.

Chris R

Most of the NASCAR stuff was in its own thread last year, and me and the three or four other NASCAR people don't bite.

Can't believe that there are less than four weeks until the 24 Hour race at Daytona!

ANDY_098

I'm still shocked that the ACO is letting that thing on track with the other cars.

fbM48l.jpg

I'm surprised as well. I think the way it looks is the main reason that it wasn't chosen as the new Indy Car chassis.

It will be interesting to see how it performs though, I think it could be pretty good down the straight as it has very low drag (Cd = 0.24). But with such narrow front tyres (4 inch) and so little weight and downforce at the front (72.5% weight over the rear axle, and 76% of the downforce at the rear) I think it will handle fairly poorly. Then again Michelin are making custom tyres just for them so they may be able to overcome some of these issues.

Either way it should be interesting, I can't see it lasting 24 hours though.

ashk

That's the version that was proposed for IndyCar, the Endurance version is a bit different:

dQOZb.jpg

7SR2d.jpg

Very unusual-looking, it will definitely be a sight to see.

Fun fact: they are using the failed Aston Martin AMR-One chassis to build it. It will be run by the very successful LMP2 team Highcroft racing.

mblitek

Ok Motorsports GAF, I'm a huge racing fan and I even suffered my spinal cord injury doing it! But anyways I have my own private server and I upload mainly F1 but I'm going back and uploading DTM and then WRC. I also have gb's upon gb's of photos. Right now it's just a directory dump so Right click->Save Target As

I also have a boatload of car magazines to enjoy. I also take requests so let me know! Right now I'm in the process of putting up some F1 Documentaries.

If interested PM me for a login/pass! Cheers.

ANDY_098

That's the version that was proposed for IndyCar, the Endurance version is a bit different:

Fun fact: they are using the failed Aston Martin AMR-One chassis to build it. It will be run by the very successful LMP2 team Highcroft racing.

Shouldn't be too hard to improve then. They only lasted 4 laps last year!

Dead Man

dQOZb.jpg

7SR2d.jpg

The narrow front track on that thing can't be good for it.

TylerD

The whole NASCAR thread was under 500 posts iirc for the whole season (36 races) last year. Having discussion about the left turners in this thread wouldn't be much of an annoyance. There are not enough posts outside the F1 thread to have multiple healthy Motorsport threads other than the general one.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The whole NASCAR thread was under 500 posts iirc for the whole season (36 races) last year. Having discussion about the left turners in this thread wouldn't be much of an annoyance. There are not enough posts outside the F1 thread to have multiple healthy Motorsport threads other than the general one.
There is one exception to that; Le Mans.

Last years thread was very active and a joy to follow.

Dead Man

Ok Motorsports GAF, I'm a huge racing fan and I even suffered my spinal cord injury doing it! But anyways I have my own private server and I upload mainly F1 but I'm going back and uploading DTM and then WRC. I also have gb's upon gb's of photos. Right now it's just a directory dump so Right click->Save Target As

I also have a boatload of car magazines to enjoy. I also take requests so let me know! Right now I'm in the process of putting up some F1 Documentaries.

If interested PM me for a login/pass! Cheers.

Nice work man!!

Edmond Dantès;33941641 said:
There is one exception to that; Le Mans.

Last years thread was very active and a joy to follow.

Yeah, I love the Le Mans thread here, makes it more interesting to watch the race when there is always someone awake to discuss it with!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Dakar Rally update
Leading positions after stage two:

Pos Driver Car Time/Gap

1. Stephane Peterhansel Mini 3h20m33s
2. Robby Gordon Hummer + 2m28s
3. Krzysztof Holowczyc Mini + 2m33s
4. Giniel de Villiers Toyota + 3m49s
5. Nani Roma Mini + 5m32s
6. Nasser Al-Attiyah Hummer + 8m47s
7. Guilherme Spinelli Mitsubishi + 11m07s
8. Leonid Novitskiy Mini + 11m17s
9. Ricardo Leal dos Santos Mini + 14m41s
10. Lucio Alvarez Toyota + 15m22s

I'll be working on some stuff to possibly throw in the OP later (schedules, etc.), starting with NASCAR because that was the one I had almost finished up. Don't worry, I'll do ones for WRC, IndyCar, V8 Supercars, etc. as well, if all goes according to plan.

mblitek

I just finished uploading the Dakar Day 2 Review in High-Def. Both Day 1 & 2 have 5.1 sound to boot!

I'm also uploading the 2011 DTM season, a bit late but great racing!

ANDY_098

I just finished uploading the Dakar Day 2 Review in High-Def. Both Day 1 & 2 have 5.1 sound to boot!

I'm also uploading the 2011 DTM season, a bit late but great racing!

Have you got any videos of last years Le Mans 24hr or Daytona 24hr?

dalin80

Banned
Shouldn't be too hard to improve then. They only lasted 4 laps last year!

The Aston chassis was supposedly very good it was the engine that was junk, I remember a interview during the nurb 24 enduro with a audi engineer who stance on the matter was 'why the **** did they choose an engine of that design, stupid idea'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom